Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
It’s definitely me. I’m not kidding I rarely hit more than a very slight draw. Almost every one of my shots curve left to right. To have a nasty smothered hook with only this one type of club tells me my brain isn’t accepting something.

If I had to self diagnose I would say I’m having trouble accepting the hybrid as an iron and swinging it appropriately. It’s looks like a wood so I probably setup like a wood unless I’m really conscious to avoid doing so. Then I swing it like a wood and bam - horrible hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Duck hooking hybrids seems to be a very common thing, myself included, but I’ve yet to see a video or anything of someone actually fixing it

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
can anyone ELI5 what the difference between an iron swing a driver swing is *supposed* to be?

Like I can understand that they should be different and mine are different, I suppose, but i don't know if they're different in the way they are supposed to be, and given that my irons have gotten worse since I started playing a driver last year, I'm wondering if I've sort of sloshed them together.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Petey posted:

can anyone ELI5 what the difference between an iron swing a driver swing is *supposed* to be?

Like I can understand that they should be different and mine are different, I suppose, but i don't know if they're different in the way they are supposed to be, and given that my irons have gotten worse since I started playing a driver last year, I'm wondering if I've sort of sloshed them together.

Basically, for a driver shot you want the ball to be tee'd up with the ball about halfway above the top of your driver, with your leading foot roughly in line with the ball, and your trailing shoulder curved down. All of this combines into making sure you're hitting the ball on the upswing, so that you're helping kick the ball up in the air, get some topspin on it, and makes it easier to hit the club square in the face.

With an iron shot, you want the ball further back in your stance, a little bit forward of the center of your stance relative to your leading foot. Some people say a clubshead length from your leading foot's heel. You want to be hitting it moreso on the downswing, take a divot in the ground ahead of the ball, and pop the ball out on the upswing.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
The difference between driver swing and iron swing is only setup. People trying to hit up too much on driver ends up causing a lot of headache. Even hitting up 5 degrees or so is not very much upward motion, it's only about half of a millimeter or so. Best thing you can do is get on a launch monitor and try to figure out what angle of attack gets you your best and most repeatable numbers.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Thanks!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Please talk me out of getting a 5 hybrid.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There are a lot of small differences between the ideal swings of a driver and say a 7 iron. If you ended up making to make one more like the other, I'd probably say it's better to make your driver swing more like your iron swing.

The reason for this is that with an iron, you NEED a descending strike. With a driver, you WANT an ascending strike, but famously consistent drivers like Sergio Garcia have a descending strike even with their driver. To facilitate ascending vs descending, as Dr. Capco so, you can effect most of the difference through ball position in your setup.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kirios posted:

Please talk me out of getting a 5 hybrid.

I swapped out my 5 and 6 Irons for hybrids this year and I'll never go back. I also just barely break 90 so there is that.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

daslog posted:

I swapped out my 5 and 6 Irons for hybrids this year and I'll never go back. I also just barely break 90 so there is that.

What's your swing speed like?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

daslog posted:

nice. three more clubs to go and you'll be on my level :getin:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kirios posted:

What's your swing speed like?

Driver is 105 according to my friends GC quad.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Mederlock posted:

All of this combines into making sure you're hitting the ball on the upswing, so that you're helping kick the ball up in the air, get some topspin on it, and makes it easier to hit the club square in the face.

You should absolutely not be attempting to get topspin on your driver, or any club that you hit the ball into the air with.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

daslog posted:

Driver is 105 according to my friends GC quad.

You're an awful person because you convinced me to buy the 5 hybrid. I have a similar swing speed with my driver and thought a 5 hybrid was too much. But my 3H has been wonderful for me so I'm gonna try to get the matching 3H-5H one length set.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BCRock posted:

You should absolutely not be attempting to get topspin on your driver, or any club that you hit the ball into the air with.

I’m not sure physics would let you create topspin on a golf shot unless you stone cold top the ball and in that case you’re hitting a bad shot.

The idea of topspin on, say a tennis stroke, is totally counterintuitive to hitting a golf ball.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kirios posted:

You're an awful person because you convinced me to buy the 5 hybrid. I have a similar swing speed with my driver and thought a 5 hybrid was too much. But my 3H has been wonderful for me so I'm gonna try to get the matching 3H-5H one length set.

Mission success.

In all seriousness, if you are one of those people that thinks "I don't want to swing this club because it's not pretty enough" then don't do it. I'm the guy that will swing the ugliest club if imaginable if I think it will reduce my score by 1 stroke.

Here is an article with some nice data for you. The row in black is handicap.

https://shotscope.com/blog/stats/the-iron-vs-hybrid-battle/

The bottom line is that is unless you are a single digit handicap, hybrids will improve your score if you can get over the mental part of "I can't swing anything different because I am a neanderthal and can't learn anything new."

Next week, we can discuss why I carry a 7 wood instead of a 3 hybrid (try it, it's amazing)

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
People say topspin in golf, but what they really want is less backspin.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

BCRock posted:

Yeah, my bad, I misspoke. I should've said that it helps reduce the amount of backspin on the ball.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Played 9 holes before we got rained on yesterday with my usual playing partner. When I was -1 through 7 he was like “wtf is happening right now”

I was mashing everything. I was hitting greens on par 3s I’d never hit in my life. Drives were right down the middle and long. I drove the green on a par 4 and 2-putted for birdie. I couldn’t miss.

Ended up going Bogey Bogey on 8 and 9 but even still it was a great round. Hope I can find that again.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Had my lesson and oh boy.

He got me to hit some balls, and said I generated an exceptional amount of power (torque I think?). Then he completely took apart my grip and showed me the setup I should be using for a driver and then a seven iron and I ended the hour hitting drives over 190 yards and an absolute screamer for 205 (I'm still buzzing about the way it felt). He said I'll be able to hit that consistently once the shape of my swing is refined and I will get further, but there are other things on the to-do list first.

I am one happy woman.

I now have some movement drills and a series of pictures he sent me of my hands in the right position. I have to practice gripping my club every day until it feels normal and not like my fingers are fighting with each other. It feels really odd and as if everything is going to go wrong when I hit the ball - but it doesn't.

Really looking forward to my next lesson. He asked if I'd like to play at a very nice course nearby he also teaches at and considering its members only with a ridiculous waiting list, I'm going to take him up on it and not worry too much about being bad.

TLDR: Giggling as I fall further down the rabbit hole. Feels amazing

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ClydeFrog posted:

He got me to hit some balls, and said I generated an exceptional amount of power (torque I think?). Then he completely took apart my grip and showed me the setup I should be using for a driver and then a seven iron and I ended the hour hitting drives over 190 yards and an absolute screamer for 205 (I'm still buzzing about the way it felt). He said I'll be able to hit that consistently once the shape of my swing is refined and I will get further, but there are other things on the to-do list first.

I am one happy woman.

I now have some movement drills and a series of pictures he sent me of my hands in the right position. I have to practice gripping my club every day until it feels normal and not like my fingers are fighting with each other. It feels really odd and as if everything is going to go wrong when I hit the ball - but it doesn't.

Really looking forward to my next lesson. He asked if I'd like to play at a very nice course nearby he also teaches at and considering its members only with a ridiculous waiting list, I'm going to take him up on it and not worry too much about being bad.

One of us.

One of us.

That's awesome dude(tte). I think one of the biggest takeaways from lessons when you're relatively new to the game is to actually execute on what the instructor has told you to do. Put the good habits in your brain before your own stupid idiosyncrasies creep in.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

ClydeFrog posted:

I am one happy woman.

This is exciting

Golf goon meet is the only goon meet I would ever attend, such a good crew

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I've been testing a g410 4 hybrid and I might be a massive dolt for not doing it sooner, what a stupid easy point and shoot club. If I figure out how to keep my 5i as low as my 4i for punchouts then the 4i might be relegated to permanently sitting in my office.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Dr. Capco posted:

I've been testing a g410 4 hybrid and I might be a massive dolt for not doing it sooner, what a stupid easy point and shoot club. If I figure out how to keep my 5i as low as my 4i for punchouts then the 4i might be relegated to permanently sitting in my office.

Ping Hybrids have been lights out since like G25.

nerox
May 20, 2001

daslog posted:

Next week, we can discuss why I carry a 7 wood instead of a 3 hybrid (try it, it's amazing)

I have a friend with an old rear end 9 wood, the face looks like a wedge and it is amazing to hit.

Meanwhile, today I could not stop slicing the hell out of my driver, so I said gently caress it and hit 3h off tee the entire round other than par 3’s. Which in most cases left me with a 3h for my second shot, meaning I used my 3h, 56 degree, or putter for almost my entire round.

nerox fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 4, 2021

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

This is exciting

Golf goon meet is the only goon meet I would ever attend, such a good crew

Imagining a long, increasingly erratic line of golf carts stretched across the course covered in :golfclap: pictures

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I think there's at least one other goon here in central florida and a couple that are nearish by?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo that bunker shot for eagle in Detroit

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Where would a goon golf meet take place? Needs to be somewhere easy to get to with good affordable public courses and other stuff to do during the trip.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

mattfl posted:

I think there's at least one other goon here in central florida and a couple that are nearish by?

Alas I live in the UK. The Atlantic is quite a water feature. So, if a meet-up happens, pictures and video must be taken.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah the Rocket Mortgage is kicking right now. 5 way lead right to the end

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What a loving finish for Davis

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DJExile posted:

What a loving finish for Davis

That putt was clutch on 18 considering it settled into a small divot

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

THREE WAY PLAYOFF LETS loving GOOOOOOO

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god drat cam Davis has been cold blooded

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Joaquin noooo :(

E: holy gently caress what an effort out of that rough. he drat near knocked it in

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OH NO CAMERON

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Keyser_Soze posted:

Ping Hybrids have been lights out since like G25.

Well my driver, 3w, and 3H are all g410 so it was quite an easy transition :coolfish:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fuckin laffo at the crowd sprinting to the next playoff holes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Where would a goon golf meet take place? Needs to be somewhere easy to get to with good affordable public courses and other stuff to do during the trip.

Y'all should come up to the PNW so we can go to Bandon or Bend.

(I would be fine with anywhere honestly).