Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Strontosaurus posted:

My friend watched at least half of Max waiting for the apocalypse to happen and Mad Max to show up.

I had a friend sit through most of 'The Zodiac' thinking it was 'Zodiac' and getting more and more confused why RDJ and Gyllenhal were taking their sweet time to appear.

I just call fake on the 'that cute fox' line, and yanno, title cards and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I can't imagine what you should be realistically paid, when taking up the job of space trucking, literally giving up your life as you know it. How long were they in cryosleep in Alien? 20 years?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

THE BAR posted:

I can't imagine what you should be realistically paid, when taking up the job of space trucking, literally giving up your life as you know it. How long were they in cryosleep in Alien? 20 years?

A couple of months or weeks at a time per trip at most. Stuff like the multi-year missions seen in Prometheus and Covenant are the exception rather than the norm. The cyropods we see in Alien/Aliens/Alien 3 can last decades for obvious reasons but they're there less to keep people from getting old in transit and more so that the ship can have waaaaaay less stuff/human amenities than it would need to for something where a whole crew is awake the whole time.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 13, 2017

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ah, it's just that they kept going on about the bonus. I assumed it meant they were compensated for taking unreasonable trips.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want cryopods for simple modern day air travel. gently caress anything beyond 3-4 hours.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

THE BAR posted:

I think a major reason they cut the scene in Aliens where they mention Ripleys daughter - was to not call attention to the fact that Ripley abandoned her daughter for a space trucking ride that'd last 20 (?) years in both directions. It's set up to make you feel sad for her, but she would've lost those years regardless of the xenomorphs showing up.

Neo Rasa posted:

A couple of months or weeks at a time per trip at most. Stuff like the multi-year missions seen in Prometheus and Covenant are the exception rather than the norm. The cyropods we see in Alien/Aliens/Alien 3 can last decades for obvious reasons but they're there less to keep people from getting old in transit and more so that the ship can have waaaaaay less stuff/human amenities than it would need to for something where a whole crew is awake the whole time.

Fast edit. Um, well, if it's just a few months in space my argument doesn't track obviously. I should've read all the posts before sharing what I thought was a thing no one had touched on.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 13, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Donnerberg posted:

I think a major reason they cut the scene in Aliens where they mention Ripleys daughter - was to not call attention to the fact that Ripley abandoned her daughter for a space trucking ride that'd last 20 (?) years in both directions. It's set up to make you feel sad for her, but she would've lost those years regardless of the xenomorphs showing up.

Oh poo poo, was that how long it was going to take? That stinks of them writing the scene before an intern in the editing room points out he watched the film last night and she was going to be gone from her kid for 40 years anyway.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Uh, maybe they put your kids in cryosleep while you're on a business trip anyway? Did you smart guys ever think of that?

It's like the best babysitter. You just chuck your kid in long-term parking while you're at work.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think the trip was most likely a few years. If she was going to be home for her 11th birthday. Tops it'd be 11 years.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I watched Alien 3 for the first time a few days ago. I like that it's established early on that Ripley feels like absolute dogshit since she was knocked out of stasis, so it's basically like Michael Jordan's flu game the entire movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

I think the trip was most likely a few years. If she was going to be home for her 11th birthday. Tops it'd be 11 years.

They never explained how fast the ship would be because it wasn't important. The shuttle took like 150 years to get back to earth.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

They never explained how fast the ship would be because it wasn't important. The shuttle took like 150 years to get back to earth.

The shuttle never actually went back to Earth. It just drifted in deep space until it crossed into another shipping lane and was picked up.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tenzarin posted:

57 years. Not 150.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Lambert said they were ten months away from earth. I don't know how long they had already travelled from Thedus.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Is LV-426 a different planet than the planets in Prometheus and Covenant? There's a ship with alien eggs, so it can't be the planet from Prometheus, and the planet looks nothing like the planet in Covenant.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DorianGravy posted:

Is LV-426 a different planet than the planets in Prometheus and Covenant? There's a ship with alien eggs, so it can't be the planet from Prometheus, and the planet looks nothing like the planet in Covenant.

They're obviously all different planets.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The marines could expect a rescue mission after 17 days since missing a scheduled contact, so even allowing for improvement in jump technology lv426 isn't that far out.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

DorianGravy posted:

iirc, it's another planet in the same system.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

THE BAR posted:

Not enough, given how much they bicker about shares in the scenes before the Alien shows up.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Most real truckers are independent contractors and pay up the loving rear end for insurance, I can only imagine what kind of poo poo rates space truckers are getting.

Unless they're more like oil rig workers or a crew on a fishing boat.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

THE BAR posted:

German; Swiss isn't a language. Book looks really neat and indepth though, I'm super jealous!

I'm an idiot. I was trying to think where Giger was from at the same time as thinking about what language it was in. :suicide:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm an idiot. I was trying to think where Giger was from at the same time as thinking about what language it was in. :suicide:

And I wrongly remember him coming from Austria all the time. :v:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Id imagine the Nostromo crew is pretty well paid for what they do. Its a pretty big deal when Ripley loses her officer title and shes forced to do poo poo jobs. Plus the science officer prob needs some kind of science or medical degree (if they arent a robot) and Parker and Bret prob have some sort of engineering background. Just because they argue about shares doesnt mean theyre paid crap. Everyone wants more money.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, Alien definitely gives off a vibe of a workplace that really values its employees.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, I don't think a naked dude with a large tube on his head is scary at all.

For Americans it's a frightening sight because no one could be that thin.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, Alien definitely gives off a vibe of a workplace that really values its employees.

Im pretty sure everyone is expendable if it means getting an alien not just the janitors

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Arglebargle III posted:

For Americans it's a frightening sight because no one could be that thin.

America or, as I like to call it, the Vast Waistline. Hiyo!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

banned from Starbucks posted:

Id imagine the Nostromo crew is pretty well paid for what they do. Its a pretty big deal when Ripley loses her officer title and shes forced to do poo poo jobs. Plus the science officer prob needs some kind of science or medical degree (if they arent a robot) and Parker and Bret prob have some sort of engineering background. Just because they argue about shares doesnt mean theyre paid crap. Everyone wants more money.

Everyone seems to get paid well except for Brett and Parker, I can't imagine them hating their highly specified job and their co-workers as much as they do unless they're paid like poo poo. Ripley also mocks them "If you need me, I'll be on the bridge" because they're low paid grunt workers.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Parker and Brett seemed like the more 'blue collar' crew members, and I figured their griping about bonus pay had to do with busting their humps compared to how they saw the work of the 'upper class' crew.

They might all have been space truckers, but the rest of the crew had titles, like warrant officer, captain, navigator, executive officer, science officer.

If they get woken up from hypersleep to have to bust their rear end on some derelict to get the ship fixed and moving again, they ought to get a bonus.

Violator
May 15, 2003

One thing I found interesting about A:C was the android fight was pretty standard fair. "Human fighting techniques but super strong." Similar to that Terminator 3 bathroom fight that was posted like 100 pages ago.

Has there ever been an android fight where they act like machines? Like instead of "super strong punch -> wait to get punched -> get up, throw opponent through a wall" the android moved all of it's limbs at full speed with perfect accuracy? I imagine an android could use any of it's limbs for a death blow, and it would be calculating and recalculating every micro-second the best way to attack from every angle and position. It would probably look really, really silly but imagine someone coming at you with punches, kicks, gouges, etc. relentlessly and with perfect accuracy multiple times a second using all of it's limbs in perfect combos and alignment. It'd be like being shoved into a meat grinder. Or contorting itself into non-human positions to block or deliver a blow.

Sounds super tough to do well in real life, but I'm guessing there's a million anime with something like this.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Violator posted:

One thing I found interesting about A:C was the android fight was pretty standard fair. "Human fighting techniques but super strong." Similar to that Terminator 3 bathroom fight that was posted like 100 pages ago.

Has there ever been an android fight where they act like machines? Like instead of "super strong punch -> wait to get punched -> get up, throw opponent through a wall" the android moved all of it's limbs at full speed with perfect accuracy? I imagine an android could use any of it's limbs for a death blow, and it would be calculating and recalculating every micro-second the best way to attack from every angle and position. It would probably look really, really silly but imagine someone coming at you with punches, kicks, gouges, etc. relentlessly and with perfect accuracy multiple times a second using all of it's limbs in perfect combos and alignment. It'd be like being shoved into a meat grinder. Or contorting itself into non-human positions to block or deliver a blow.

Sounds super tough to do well in real life, but I'm guessing there's a million anime with something like this.
I hadn't really considered that, but it does sound interesting.

At the same time, aren't standard fighting techniques standard because they're mechanically efficient? And if robots are built to mimic human form, wouldn't it follow that they'd use similar techniques?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Ersatz posted:

At the same time, aren't standard fighting techniques standard because they're mechanically efficient? And if robots are built to mimic human form, wouldn't it follow that they'd use similar techniques?

I'm thinking they're mechanically efficient for a life form that has human strength, coordination, and balance. But consider a machine with comparatively unlimited strength and perfect coordination and balance at (I'm assuming) any angle or position. I'm basing this on the same sci-fi logic that Robocop doesn't have to look where he's aiming, his visual/sound capabilities can map the entire room so he's always a perfect shot. I'm taking liberties, but hey. :)

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Violator posted:

I'm thinking they're mechanically efficient for a life form that has human strength, coordination, and balance. But consider a machine with comparatively unlimited strength and perfect coordination and balance at (I'm assuming) any angle or position. I'm basing this on the same sci-fi logic that Robocop doesn't have to look where he's aiming, his visual/sound capabilities can map the entire room so he's always a perfect shot. I'm taking liberties, but hey. :)
I'm thinking now about TARS in Interstellar - it'd be crazy to see that thing fight.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This is a common thing in science fiction, but the idea that Android = unlimited strength is pretty tired.

I do think it would be good for synthetics to fight differently from Terminators. Throughout the Terminator frnachise, the fighting style.of Terminators has been stylistically established well and is kind of a visual and stylistic thing, even though it makes no sense from an objective perspective.

But there's no reason that synthetics in Alien films should fight that way.

Edit: ^ TARS is the best concept for a scifi robot in a long time. Maybe ever.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Snak posted:

Edit: ^ TARS is the best concept for a scifi robot in a long time. Maybe ever.
Yeah, TARS was great, both in concept and execution.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Any robot that can't or doesn't create an unlimited supply of liquor is deficient at best

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
God that movie is so good.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Violator posted:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Violator posted:

Has there ever been an android fight where they act like machines? Like instead of "super strong punch -> wait to get punched -> get up, throw opponent through a wall" the android moved all of it's limbs at full speed with perfect accuracy? I imagine an android could use any of it's limbs for a death blow, and it would be calculating and recalculating every micro-second the best way to attack from every angle and position. It would probably look really, really silly but imagine someone coming at you with punches, kicks, gouges, etc. relentlessly and with perfect accuracy multiple times a second using all of it's limbs in perfect combos and alignment.

This could be really cool to see on screen, but it's not particularly machine-like, given the trouble actual robots have just putting one foot in front of another and not falling over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but in Aliens, Bishop is super good at five finger fillet.