Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

big mom has been set up since fishman island, tho obviously not to the same extent as crocodile since there were full islands dedicated to fighting baroque works. the strawhats are in a stronger position than when they were nobodies annoying crocodile tho so it isn't needed as much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
did we forget the gorosei getting slighty mad when crocodile lost then by thriller bark sending one of the last warlords to kill luffy because he was gonna destabilize the warlord system?

also i remember the thread all agreeing this arc wouldn't turn into a super brawl because of 'big mom and politics' :mamacita:

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 17, 2017

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I mean from where I'm standing Big Mom looks to be the personally weakest Yonko given you have a way around her one-hit kill, compared to the other Emperors she isn't personally very dangerous. What she does have is the largest crew of the Yonkou and is very careful about who she makes political marriages/alliances with, after all she was the Emperor who actively went out and claimed Whitebeards territories after the man himself died.

I honestly feel One Piece tends towards one of four villain types, which all show up in the East Blue. Buggy, who is fairly ridiculous but clever and capable in a pinch, Kuro, who uses smarts and plans to get past his own inherent weaknesses and be dangerous, Don Krieg, who whilst dangerous himself is more dangerous for the size of his crew and their capabilities, and Arlong, who is himself an absurd powerhouse with powerhouses on his crew but a much smaller crew.

As far as I've seen Big Mom is the Don Krieg style villain, whereas Kaido is going to end up being Arlong style.

There's also a few villains who mix and match, like Crocodile who ends up being a combo of Kuro, Don Krieg and Arlong because he's just that good at what he's doing.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Super useful smilie of the Thousand Sunnys figurehead shaking its tits behind a sofa.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 17, 2017

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Thats actually ne of my greatest fears. Just in the living room and a goblin pops out over my couch and shakes it's tits at me.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Thats actually ne of my greatest fears. Just in the living room and a goblin pops out over my couch and shakes it's tits at me.

If you didn't want me to come over you could have just told me privately :(

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pureauthor posted:

Beating Crocodile was the climax built up to after 4 separate arcs. And the actual fights had Crocodile thrashing Luffy twice (and made it clear that Luffy would have died from the third fight if not for Robin). It was absolutely a huge event.

Four is probably being too generous. Whiskey Peak and Little Garden are really it. Counting Reverse Mountain or Drum Island as being build up for Alabasta when they contain little to no real tie to it beyond Vivi's existence is a bit silly. If you're going to count them you might as well count Fishman Island for including Pekoms and Baron Tomago as well as Zou, which is 2 instead of 4.

Manatee Cannon posted:

big mom has been set up since fishman island, tho obviously not to the same extent as crocodile since there were full islands dedicated to fighting baroque works. the strawhats are in a stronger position than when they were nobodies annoying crocodile tho so it isn't needed as much

Luffy has also lost to Big Mom's army. Not to Big Mom herself, just her militia. He was also pretty well set to spend the rest of his life in jail or die without Jinbei's aid.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I wonder how much cola it takes to make the boat do that. And why Franky made that possible in the first place.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

soldier dock channel six, for motorboating

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

lowercase16 posted:

I agree with what everyone else has already said about this, but I want to add one more thing:

Luffy could beat up Kizaru.

I think that's where we're differing. When you say stuff like "effortlessly", "roll over" and "easy", it sounds like you don't think Luffy's very strong. Big Mom is a big deal, but so is Luffy. He's been Emperor tier since the two year jump. He stomped rear end on Fish Man Island and crushed a super powerful and entrenched Warlord. He has an armada and has already be staking claim to islands. The only thing he hasn't done is prove himself the equal of another Emperor. Which he will when he beats Big Mom.

I'm imagining the Luffy vs Kaidou duel will be titled something like 'Emperor vs Emperor' and it's going to be :krad:.

Asuron posted:

Yeah there's also this. This arc is wrapping up soon by Odas own admission so we get to Reverie and Wano this year. If you think an event like beating an Emperor is happening when Odas going about this massive setup just to prepare for beating Kaidou, i'm sorry I dont think you know what you're talking about. It's not about Luffys strength, it's about where the narrative is heading and right now the narrative is being setup so that Luffys actions on this island are going to have Big Mom deadset on chasing him across the New World and decimating any allies (this is where the Fishman island prophecy comes in) for assisting him in retaliation for his actions. He's going to strike some sort of huge blow here no doubt, but this is not where he beats her. This is where he enrages the crap outta her. Thats why the explosive box is being setup the way it is.

Wasn't the final blow against Doflamingo only a year ago in the manga (or two years ago)? I remember it being in the Spring and all of us were like :aaaaa:.

I'm sure it'll be the same with Luffy crushing Big Mom. We'll probably get a new technique out of it!

Also, I'm betting Luffy will bust out Gear Fifth/Overdrive as his final Gear for either Kaidou or Blackbeard. The Gomu-Gomu Awakened techniques will be like 'Manual' or something car-related.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 17, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm a bit surprised we haven't seen him use awakening/had it explained before a potential big mam fight considering doflamingo knew how to use it. Unless he discover it during the fight I guess

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He's had about as much explanation as he had of haki before using it wildly for several arcs. I'd presume he's just going to pick it up as he goes along.

As to the bomb bound for Big Mom? That seems like it's to guarantee her animosity towards Luffy and make their clash more immediate, not less. Right now she barely knows or cares about Luffy. She's forgiven what happened on Fishman Island and showed no further interest in him. If he inadvertently ends up destroying her tea party though? Something we know she cares about. Oh she'll care then. She'll be on the warpath, and Luffy will be all to happy to return the sentiment. And that tea party ain't too far away.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Hmm, if Luffy does get into a fight with Big Mom the outcome shouldn't do any significant damage to her status as Yonkou. And since a Yonkou is much more than their physical or magical strength, like their military forces and political ties, Luffy physically beating her up doesn't show much we don't already know. If it's about Luffy needing to show his strength, and I think we can all agree Luffy will win in a fight with Big Mom, then by typical shonen rules Big Mom needs to have complete control of her awaken DF powers. That's the next logical (re: shonen) step for Luffy. Unfortunately, I don't think beating up Big Mom is as big a deal as this thread is making it out to be. While most arcs of the past were constructed with a final fight that would decide whose dream was stronger, with the caveat that a defeat would mean you lose everything, does a defeat of Big Mom really mean anything much besides humiliation and a future enemy for the final arc?

What does it mean to defeat a Yonkou anyway? Kaido has been defeated many times yet he still has his status as an absolute beast. I think a good case can be made for this whole arc being the slow defeat of a Yonkou, considering how small of a force is able to cause so much mayhem. But I doubt that after this arc Big Mom will be "demoted" as a Yonkou in the eyes of the top players. These Yonkou structures seem "Too Big to Fail". I'm reminded of that scene in the Batman film where the Joker laughs at the notion of leaving the fate of Gotham to a fist fight between him and Bats.

Anyway, the real exciting part of this arc, for me, is that I don't know how it will end aside from everyone getting away alive. The power balance might get shaken or nothing might happen at all. We could get Luffy beating up Big Mom and it turns out her powers work like Sugars so her whole domain crumbles, or her awakened power (which she might or might not have) means that doesn't happen at all. Luffy could beat her up and get away before she's able to recuperate, leading us to a "chase" arc or even a future antagonist against Luffy at the end of the story. Luffy could simply sneak by her, getting everything he needs and getting away without anything too crazy happening, but Big Mom will still see the failure of the wedding and the theft of the road polygraph information as a humiliation and we get the same thing again. The bomb in the cake could be used as both a distraction when everything is going poorly, or it could be the final straw that pushes Big Mom to take the declaration of war more serious. I don't know but I'm excited to see it play out, much more so than the previous arcs where the end results were predictable.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also, I'm betting Luffy will bust out Gear Fifth/Overdrive as his final Gear for either Kaidou or Blackbeard. The Gomu-Gomu Awakened techniques will be like 'Manual' or something car-related.

Turns out Luffy isn't a muscle car, he's a 10 speed Big Rig. Gear 10 is a collaboration with Franky, and it's ultimate move is called Primus.

Edit: We've seen that at least several of Big Mom's kids are more than happy to go off on their own, but are still with Team Big Mom out of fear. Also Pudding may or may not be going full rogue and Lola at least is off doing her own thing. If Big Mom gets beat down, a significant portion of her forces probably defect off to do their own thing while some manner of Civil War breaks out within her territory and Blackbeard almost certainly swoops in to gobble up territory.

My guess is that when the Strawhats finally make it to Raftel and end up in the inevitable showdown with Blackbeard and his crew, Blackbeard will be in control of virtually all the New World territory. Setting up a showdown between the ideologies of Luffy and Blackbeard.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 17, 2017

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Asuron posted:

Yeah there's also this. This arc is wrapping up soon by Odas own admission so we get to Reverie and Wano this year. If you think an event like beating an Emperor is happening when Odas going about this massive setup just to prepare for beating Kaidou, i'm sorry I dont think you know what you're talking about. It's not about Luffys strength, it's about where the narrative is heading and right now the narrative is being setup so that Luffys actions on this island are going to have Big Mom deadset on chasing him across the New World and decimating any allies (this is where the Fishman island prophecy comes in) for assisting him in retaliation for his actions. He's going to strike some sort of huge blow here no doubt, but this is not where he beats her. This is where he enrages the crap outta her. Thats why the explosive box is being setup the way it is.

Luffy is going to beat the poo poo out of Big Mom here, not defeat her. He's going to defeat Kaidou first

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tsob posted:

Luffy has also lost to Big Mom's army. Not to Big Mom herself, just her militia. He was also pretty well set to spend the rest of his life in jail or die without Jinbei's aid.

and crocodile would have killed him like 3 times without outside intervention

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Luffy has lost a bunch of times it's not strange kaidou also has

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Just finished Enie's Lobby.

That may be my favorite arc of any comic I've ever read. Every single thing was perfect. Every crewmate got a loving awesome moment (Sniper King :allears:). The villains were all rad and the top two villains were dead perfect.

You have the super badass threatening villain in Lucci for Luffy to face and then you have Spandem being the most hatable mother fucker since Arlong (Robin basically suplexing him was so satisfying)

One Piece owns really hard

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

She wasn't suplexing him

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Just hanging out and thinking about how cool and good one piece is.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

key party favors posted:

Just hanging out and thinking about how cool and good one piece is.

:same:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

One Piece is the most successful shonen serial of all time,. Like, a lot of stuff tried to copy the success of Dragon Ball, and Oda just sort of took the funnest parts. There's no denying Toriyama's legacy, but I think One Piece has eclipsed Dragon Ball at this point. It kind of feels like One Piece is close to a Three Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo or another great serialized work. It might be the objectively most successful serial created by a single dude of all time... that's kind of neat.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

My prediction:

The bomb blows up the wedding cake big mom has had her heart set on this whole time and she goes into a mega rage which is when the real fight will begin. She'll start stealing life left and right as sanji is given the task to bake a new one while Luffy tries his best to subdue her. Due to all the life she steals Luffy is unable to defeat her until sanji delivers the cake and then Luffy gear 4 Phoenix elephant guns the whole thing in her pie hole, blasting her off into space. Then they all eat whole cake island as a feast and have a great time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing that's starting to sink in for me - the very next arc will very probably include the single greatest physical challenge Luffy ever faces in the entire manga. Seriously, after you've out-fought the World's Strongest Creature, what's next?

Don't get me wrong, I totally get that the other two remaining major villains, Sakazuki and Blackbeard, are dangerous in their own ways, and can still present exciting challenges for the Straw Hats thanks to their cunning and military might, but I really am having difficulty seeing ways for Luffy to ever be pushed as much again in actual, physical combat.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well with Kaido Luffy can still get the full use of his devil fruit as well as his physicality to fight, while with Blackbeard he'll have no devil fruit power a lot of the time and be relying on just his raw physical attributes. So in a way it's a more physical fight, because he has to rely entirely on it. And it's not like physical kicks and punches on their own are the only part of any fight in One Piece, so the next arc being the peak for that isn't any real loss since with Sakazuki it'll just be more of a devil fruit/haki/awakening fight, which has it's own qualities.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I think what makes OP work so well is that it combines seriousness and fun so drat well. Enies Lobby had a deadly serious enemy and problem but it never felt like I was being weighed down with "oh man wowzers this poo poo is dark and messed up and deep". Oda is so good at making me fear for the heroes and laugh at the same time.

Compare that to something like Naruto or Bleach or even (and I love the series) DBZ where you'll have humor and then your shoved into "SUPER SERIOUS OH gently caress MAN THIS IS FOR KEEPS!".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Enies lobby absolutely had that. Mostly in the flashbacks but still. There was some real dark poo poo going on. It's just that it was interjected with giraffe swordsman and the zippermouth guy.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Captain Invictus posted:

Enies lobby absolutely had that. Mostly in the flashbacks but still. There was some real dark poo poo going on. It's just that it was interjected with giraffe swordsman and the zippermouth guy.

That's what I mean though. There was dark poo poo like Rob's flashback, Robin's backstory, Spandam's end goal and so on, but it was very well balanced with the scenes with Kaku, Franky's battle and constant search for cola, the fact that Nami's battle was pretty much Oda getting as much fanservice in as he possibly could while still having a fight scene and so on.

Enie's Lobby was serious and felt serious, but it never felt up it's own rear end about it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

lowercase16 posted:

I agree with what everyone else has already said about this, but I want to add one more thing:

Luffy could beat up Kizaru.

I think that's where we're differing. When you say stuff like "effortlessly", "roll over" and "easy", it sounds like you don't think Luffy's very strong. Big Mom is a big deal, but so is Luffy. He's been Emperor tier since the two year jump. He stomped rear end on Fish Man Island and crushed a super powerful and entrenched Warlord. He has an armada and has already be staking claim to islands. The only thing he hasn't done is prove himself the equal of another Emperor. Which he will when he beats Big Mom.

Kizaru is weaker than Cracker now? Or does rubber have some kind of advantage against light?

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
The fishman island prophecy is for luffy blowing up mariejois with some giant space laser powered by enel, luffy is gonna fufill his promise of taking FI from big mom and making it his territory after she lost to him

If big mom doesnt lose here where will luffy find the time to defeat her if hes going to start a war with kaido and then blackbeard and the marines? brook and pedro and nami all reminding us what the stakes are here are kinda hints of whats about to come in this battle phase of the arc (also lol if you think sanji is gonna just cook this arc and not do some crazy mr prince poo poo and/or beat the ever loving piss out people this arc when it was focused on him)

also the pacing at the end of the story would be poo poo if luffy had to stop for a bit to beat up big mom in fishman island, hes going back to mariejois as a pirate king

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 18, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

The fishman island prophecy is for luffy blowing up mariejois with some giant space laser powered by enel, luffy is gonna fufill his promise of taking FI from big mom and making it his territory after she lost to him

If big mom doesnt lose here where will luffy find the time to defeat her if hes going to start a war with kaido and then blackbeard and the marines? brook and pedro and nami all reminding us what the stakes are here are kinda hints of whats about to come in this battle phase of the arc (also lol if you think sanji is gonna just cook this arc and not do some crazy mr prince poo poo and/or beat the ever loving piss out people this arc when it was focused on him)

My expectation is that most of Big Mom's crew gets knocked out, the Straw Hats get away, then either Big Mom runs into Kaidou's or WG forces while pursuing the Straw Hats or Blackbeard opportunistically attacks Totto Land while they're recovering.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

My expectation is that most of Big Mom's crew gets knocked out, the Straw Hats get away, then either Big Mom runs into Kaidou's or WG forces while pursuing the Straw Hats or Blackbeard opportunistically attacks Totto Land while they're recovering.

but then fishman island would go to either kaido or the WG and would go against luffy at the end of FI saying THIS IS MY TERRITORY NOW

I think ya'll are downplaying luffy post timeskip and think he's not emperor tier yet, he wasnt trying at all until the very end of dressrosa when he was told there was a time limit, and by the sounds of him trying to rip his arms off he was still confident he could get everyone off the island or beat big mom if he got out (either more gear 4 modes or he hasnt showed his trump card yet or SOMETHING idk)

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 18, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

why would fishman island go to either of them in that scenario. why would kaido's crew even be over there in the first place

plus neptune is going to the reverie I thought, so why would the world government attack them or w/e

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

why would fishman island go to either of them in that scenario. why would kaido's crew even be over there in the first place

plus neptune is going to the reverie I thought, so why would the world government attack them or w/e

then it would delve back into super lawlessness like before whitebeard took it under his territory because the WG doesnt give a drat and the nobles like slaves

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drjuggalo posted:

then it would delve back into super lawlessness like before whitebeard took it under his territory because the WG doesnt give a drat and the nobles like slaves

why would it? what would change for them? the strawhats already declared the island their turf so big mom's crew getting a black eye wouldn't affect them whatsoever. nobody would go after the fishmen because they're all after luffy already, so if that was gonna happen then it would have already

if anything, the strawhat pirates taking any kind of win over a yonkou crew would make things way safer for fishman island because people would be scared to mess with a place under luffy's protection

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Manatee Cannon posted:

why would it? what would change for them? the strawhats already declared the island their turf so big mom's crew getting a black eye wouldn't affect them whatsoever. nobody would go after the fishmen because they're all after luffy already, so if that was gonna happen then it would have already

if anything, the strawhat pirates taking any kind of win over a yonkou crew would make things way safer for fishman island because people would be scared to mess with a place under luffy's protection

Luffy's said Fishman Island's under his control, but it's still technically Big Mom's right now. Luffy beating Big Mom now would add legitimacy to his claim on the island.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Sorry about my post earlier guys it was literally a "poo poo" post. Lol

I hope the SHs get access to fast travel stations so there can be a mini arc of just zoro or luffy going to an island under their control that's being harassed by some rookies and he chumps them with in two or three chapters then gets back in time for a feast.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Raspberry Bang posted:

My prediction:

The bomb blows up the wedding cake big mom has had her heart set on this whole time and she goes into a mega rage which is when the real fight will begin. She'll start stealing life left and right as sanji is given the task to bake a new one while Luffy tries his best to subdue her. Due to all the life she steals Luffy is unable to defeat her until sanji delivers the cake and then Luffy gear 4 Phoenix elephant guns the whole thing in her pie hole, blasting her off into space. Then they all eat whole cake island as a feast and have a great time.

Reading this gave me an idea. If Big Mom does have another fit, it's possible she'll end up killing Pudding like she did with her son. It seems more likely than Luffy knocking her out or (god forbid) Sanji hitting her. It would let Oda make sure Pudding got what she deserves without one of his heroes hitting a girl.

Silver2195 posted:

Kizaru is weaker than Cracker now? Or does rubber have some kind of advantage against light?

Haki.

But also, yeah, I imagine Cracker was really up there in terms of strength. (Maybe not stronger than Kizaru, but around there.) We know each of the Emperors is strong enough that the World Government can't oppose them directly. Which means they don't think an Admiral (or even all three Admirals and all those Vice Admirals) can take down Big Mom and her four commanders. I hate to get too deep into a "power levels" discussion because a) Oda has subverted and undercut that concept at every turn and b) it gets really murky talking about who's stronger among people who are each able to destabilize the world if it weren't for all the other hugely strong people around.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Everyone seems to be basing Luffy outright beating Big Mom based on him dropping Doflamingo and fighting Issho to a standstill, but Issho demonstrated on multiple occasions his lack of desire to really go after Luffy. I'm still very skeptical he can take out an admiral or yonkou on his own, but at this point we are just rehashing the same subject. Just gotta wait.

I'm still curious what part Dragon has to play, we've heard so little from him in such a long time, tying that story thread off by having Blackbeard take him out off screen is very anti-climatic. Here's to hoping he makes some appearances and wrecks some poo poo with w/e weather fruit he has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

lowercase16 posted:

Reading this gave me an idea. If Big Mom does have another fit, it's possible she'll end up killing Pudding like she did with her son. It seems more likely than Luffy knocking her out or (god forbid) Sanji hitting her. It would let Oda make sure Pudding got what she deserves without one of his heroes hitting a girl.

Haki.

But also, yeah, I imagine Cracker was really up there in terms of strength. (Maybe not stronger than Kizaru, but around there.) We know each of the Emperors is strong enough that the World Government can't oppose them directly. Which means they don't think an Admiral (or even all three Admirals and all those Vice Admirals) can take down Big Mom and her four commanders. I hate to get too deep into a "power levels" discussion because a) Oda has subverted and undercut that concept at every turn and b) it gets really murky talking about who's stronger among people who are each able to destabilize the world if it weren't for all the other hugely strong people around.

As we saw at Marineford, the Marines can take down an Emperor, if at great cost. It's engaging multiple Emperors at once that's their nightmare doomsday scenario.