Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Ah dammit I'm watching Sausage Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

This was a bad choice

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I definitely agree that Logan got better as it went on, but primarily because Laura interested me much more than Logan did and the movie's attempts to work around its high exposition threshold were largely too cute by half

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

this is horribly inaccurate, there's an adult woman in it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sausage Party owns.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Jenny Angel posted:

I forget who is was but someone on left twitter said he was the Phineas Gage of our era, except instead of a railroad spike he got impaled in the skull by brand engagement

I was raised in a Polish immigrant household that was deeply culturally Catholic but didn't actually believe in God or care much about specific teachings that didn't have to do with rituals and defining a community. I kinda ended up as the exact opposite - I've always believed in the divinity of Christ and was absolutely fascinated by His teachings from an early age, but found the ritualistic aspects of the faith completely unappealing - partially because I was a bratty little girl and sitting through a Catholic mass suuuuuuucked, but also because as the years wore on I found that community more and more lacking. I guess I had this utopian idea that the kids in the religious education classes my parents sent me to were gonna be these kind, Christlike figures, but it turned out I was the only one there dweeby enough to actually want to talk about the Bible at all. The only way I ended up being able to relate to any of them was finding the one kid lamer than i was and being a catty bitch to him until the other kids found enough of my weak-as-gently caress roasts funny. The idea that this alleged community of faith was making me act like an actively worse person was, to say the least, uncomfortable

About that same time, this was when I would've been maybe 12 and my older brother was 14, he announced that he'd gotten into Ayn Rand and had read the whole Bible and decided that God wasn't real anymore, so I started freaking out and thinking like, oh poo poo, I better do the same thing (luckily the only Ayn Rand I ended up being able to make it through was like three quarters of Anthem) or else I'll be left in the dust as these cool older intellectuals forge on. It was dicey going during a lot of the Old Testament, but when I got to the Gospels I just kept getting more and more psyched about how cool Jesus was. Like, understanding how fully hip-youth-pastor this is to say, I started thinking of Jesus as this total badass, grinning like an idiot whenever He outsmarted whatever pack of Pharisee clowns in a really chill, playful way. Everything He was saying made total sense and felt like something I still absolutely wanted to be part of, so I started asking myself whether it was possible to hold onto that but pretty much ditch the parts of the faith that did nothing for me once I wrapped up my Confirmation like a good Catholic

Of course, the answer is yeah, just study the Bible on your own and seek out writings by interesting Christian thinkers and try to lead a life like Christ would've wanted. By college I was getting slightly embarrassed and nervous about it whenever a cultured Harvard atheist had something sharp to say about religious people, but that's really more my class anxiety than anything else. I was still ready to just tear into a giddy speech about how Jesus is Way Cool at the slightest indication that someone was interested in hearing it, and during a teaching program I was part of during the winter of '13, I even uh, kinda accidentally converted another kid to Christianity. We were all staying in the same apartment and some of us would always stay up late talking in the common room, and I learned pretty early on that she'd lost her faith after her dad died and her mom wasn't able to give good answers about where he was now, but still thought that Jesus as a man and teacher was really cool in a way similar to how I did. On the last day of the program someone else mentioned Christians as this vague, far-off concept and she butted in with "I mean, Jenny and I are Christians!". That hadn't even been what I was trying to do, but after asking her about it later it turned out that our talks had helped her restore her faith and confirm her sense that even if some people are absolutely terrible at being Christians, it didn't mean she couldn't try her best to be one

Later on, I mentioned that incident in passing to a high school friend of mine who was a much more traditional right-wing evangelical Christian, and he seemed kinda surprised that I would even care. Like, he knew I believed that you didn't need to be a Christian to enter heaven, so why would I be happy about helping someone else find her faith? It took me a little bit to articulate an answer because yeah, absolutely, if I don't believe in any nonsense about saving souls and being born again, that's the obvious motive out the window. But I was eventually able to explain that it warms up my heart to see anyone commit to any positive belief system in a way that makes them happier and makes them love their neighbor more. If she had come out of those discussions saying "Yeah, I love the moral teachings of Jesus, but they're still really disconnected from any kind of belief in His divinity and these talks have mostly just reaffirmed a humanist atheist view of the world for me", I hope I would've been just as happy

That's kinda a bigger answer than the specific question you asked called for, but I wanted to sorta indirectly respond as well to the questions of like, how and why one can be a progressive Christian. I totally get how tribalism is part and parcel with the faith in the broad cultural understanding of it, but if there's one thing that my brief Smug Rational Libertarian phase did for me, it's entrench the idea that tribal and blindly loyal mentalities are ones I wanna try and watch out for whenever they show up

Thanks for the great post.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
As far as good Christian writers go, Jenny, what do you recommend? I'm a big fan of Lewis' The Screwtape Letters and The Selected Sermons of Meister Eckhart, I've given a half-assed attempt at Augustine's Confessions but I couldn't really get into it. Any recs?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Today was an interesting day on set. Location double booked us on a day with the dinner of a funeral mass of a man who died tragically in a medieval cosplay accident (got cleaved by a sword apparently).

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

As far as good Christian writers go, Jenny, what do you recommend? I'm a big fan of Lewis' The Screwtape Letters and The Selected Sermons of Meister Eckhart, I've given a half-assed attempt at Augustine's Confessions but I couldn't really get into it. Any recs?

Todd Starnes is a great place to start

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Death By The Blues posted:

Today was an interesting day on set. Location double booked us on a day with the dinner of a funeral mass of a man who died tragically in a medieval cosplay accident (got cleaved by a sword apparently).

He died as he lived: anachronistically.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I just spent the last half hour hype as gently caress for Woodley vs. Wonderboy II and I'm fully at peace with the fact that this means I have terrible middlebrow MMA taste

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Really hope Wonder Boy is named after the Master System game series.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Death By The Blues posted:

Time to shoot the documentary on that guy

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Jenny Angel posted:

I just spent the last half hour hype as gently caress for Woodley vs. Wonderboy II and I'm fully at peace with the fact that this means I have terrible middlebrow MMA taste

Robbie Lawler died for this. Fuuuuck that fight was terrible.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
It was doubly weird cause we were shooting a scene involving a pair of TV infomercial hosts talking about a dead wife in a bag.

Obligatory screengrab.

Another of the opening.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jenny Angel posted:

Eh, I enjoyed the first fight though it wasn't a barnburner or anything. The (entirely predictable) loss of Ferguson - Nurmagomedov totally tanked this ppv for me though.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Todd Starnes is a great place to start

Wait, the conservative dude?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Every time I watch Jackie Brown I'm more and more impressed with how good and funny DeNiro is in it. It's like a bigger (and better) version of Brad Pitt in True Romance.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jenny Angel posted:

I have probably the most lowbrow UFC taste where I just want to see heavyweights either destroying dudes or get destroyed depending on the guy. Overeem/Hunt and Lewis/Browne have been platonic ideals of what I'm looking for.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Belladonna of Sadness is do-o-o-o-o-ope. Was not expecting that ending.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm plowing through the Michael Powell filmography thanks to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDS7GceW6dg

I'd watched Peeping Tom in film class in the 90's and had an appreciation for the Best Hitchcock Movie Not Directed By Hitchcock, but my professor never told me about how Michael Powell's career was basically destroyed by Peeping Tom's reception in the UK, or how Martin Scorcese was a huge fanboy of his, or how good his other films were.

Just watched The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus, and holy poo poo, his filmography was blooming a decade before Hitchcock would really hit his stride, and the British had to go snuff out one of their brightest stars. Man, I've been missing out!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 5, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

I'd honestly give Confessions another shot. I'm 100% not the target audience, and I still enjoyed it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Wait, the conservative dude?

I'm just goofin bro

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Thomas Merton and Soren Kierkegaard are both good.

Edit: Also check out Christopher Marlowe's Faust and Thomas Browne's Religio Medici.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 5, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Weird question since I just read Altered States: has anyone here tried a sensory deprivation tank before? I just found out there's a place near me that has one and I've been curious about it ever since first watching the movie back in high school, thinking of giving it a go.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Weird question since I just read Altered States: has anyone here tried a sensory deprivation tank before? I just found out there's a place near me that has one and I've been curious about it ever since first watching the movie back in high school, thinking of giving it a go.

You should definitely do it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Remember to smoke some dmt

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MisterBibs posted:

Eh, maybe I was being a bit hyperbolic, but man, this movie quickly bummed me out in a way that drained me. I could tell what they were going for, and I generally appreciated the attempt, but man, until we finally saw Hugh Jackman running around slicing the poo poo out of fools, being appropriately heroic, I was in depression-based :geno: over the thing.

so you're a loving moron huh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I can't ever imagine wanting to.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
There's a place near my office that offers it, but I have to ask: What is a sensory deprivation tank and what is the intended purpose? Like, it's also at a place that does like water massages and stuff too, so I guess it's supposed to be a relaxing float?

But I'm the guy who can't sleep without a fan blowing because I like the white-noise.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You should definitely do it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Just booked an appointment for next week, will report back.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's supposed to awaken your DMT receptors.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Okay, this is a trip report I gotta see.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel like it would break me

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

There's a place near my office that offers it, but I have to ask: What is a sensory deprivation tank and what is the intended purpose? Like, it's also at a place that does like water massages and stuff too, so I guess it's supposed to be a relaxing float?

But I'm the guy who can't sleep without a fan blowing because I like the white-noise.

It's a meditative exercise. By depriving yourself of every sense your left with yourself.

Something like that. I've debated doing it but it seems expensive at least in my area.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Booking an isolation chamber after seeing Altered States is like going to a barbecue after seeing The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, & Her Lover

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I have not been in a genuine sensory deprivation tank but I have been in a laboratory-grade soundproof room. My only reservation would be that if you are prone to nervousness or anxiety you might not find it pleasant. The soundproof room could become unsettling very quickly, even with other people in the room and being able to see stuff. I can only imagine that being alone in a sensory deprivation tank would be that much worse.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 5, 2017

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've gone it before. Twice, I think. It's very relaxing. I think I fell asleep but it's really hard to tell, which is very odd. Try it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mecha Gojira posted:

It's a dark chamber with skin-temperature water that is salinated enough for you to float without effort. By removing your sense of sight and physical feeling, you're essentially put into a kind of womblike state that's meant to provoke deep reflection. There's no major, well-documented evidence that this does anything for you besides probably destressing you (or provoking a panic attack), but it sounds like a weird, unique experience. The best outcome is you'll have a nice half-sleep and the world will seem extra-vivid afterwards. The worst outcome is you'll suffer an extremely intimate performance of Beckett's Not I:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LDwfKxr-M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought about it until the prone to anxiety thing came up. I just woke up today and already I'm all panicky.

• Locked thread