Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you played Ebon Chalice rules in 9th then you have nowhere to go but up lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That's probably fair, but I had a good time.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
So when a faction gets a new combat patrol, the original one is still valid/legal right? Just seems like the new combat patrols that have been coming out are all way lamer model-wise than the older ones.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Super Waffle posted:

So when a faction gets a new combat patrol, the original one is still valid/legal right? Just seems like the new combat patrols that have been coming out are all way lamer model-wise than the older ones.

I'm really hoping the Ultramarines get an updated combat patrol at some point. Whew boi..their current one is pretty lackluster. Sure, the terminators, and HQ in terminator armor are really sick, but it lacks any actual battleline units or a nifty vehicle. There was so much potential in the Leviathan box for worthy candidates.

Then again.. they get a lot of attention otherwise, so I get it

Aliensandwich fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 19, 2024

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ro5s posted:

I mean everyone knows Emperor’s Children are coming but nothing has been shown for the cult legions or daemons yet. It’s entirely possible they’re not getting an EC codex but will appear in codex: slaanesh with the other gods getting split too. It’d solve daemons sitting in the awkward spot of being 1 army that is also 4 separate armies.

It'd solve some issues but make others, IMO. Biggest one is where does Belakor live? He's Codex: Daemons, not Codex: CSM, and I'm pretty sure the window to change that just closed.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Belakor can live wherever he wants. I am not gonna tell him otherwise.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aliensandwich posted:

I'm really hoping the Ultramarines get an updated combat patrol at some point. Whew boi..their current one is pretty lackluster. Sure, the terminators, and HQ in terminator armor are really sick, but it lacks any actual battleline units or a nifty vehicle. There was so much potential in the Leviathan box for worthy candidates.

Then again.. they get a lot of attention otherwise, so I get it

I mean if by Ultramarines you mean regular Codex marines they have put out Strike Tean Solarien.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Coldbird posted:

I think you’re generally closer to my thoughts than those in the Goonhammer codex review.

I really like the concept of the Renegade Raiders detachment, and it (unlike many others) it feels like it has a real plan to win, a general shape and intent of play for real games - but I think it falls apart on current points values.

The other, more serious gripe, though - as long as Warpack exists, demon engines will be costed based on their use case for the Warpack.

CSMs were reliant on all the critical 5s because that was the only way they’d do enough damage to keep from getting obliterated by a single counterpunch.

Overall it feels like it’s easy for people to fixate on a few buffs (like warp talons, which will probably be nerfed in the next dataslate), but miss that the overall picture here is more nerfs than buffs.

I’ll be sticking to the Word Bearers rules for the moment - I feel like the army lives or dies by it’s ability to hit super hard - but if it turns into a situation where only Warpack is viable, that to me is just design failure.

[lots of edits to cut to the gist]

Chosen aren't quite as bad as you're suggesting, and Legionaries are genuinely excellent with the recent discount. Raiders don't seem like they're significantly behind the curve on damage, but they do need to take dedicated antitank and they do run into some difficulty killing things that aren't on objectives.

I think you're also underrating a Rhino full of guys as a deterrent/counterpunch unit for a more balanced overall gameplan. The Raiders detachment rule is basically never bad except against demons or quins.

I don't really mind if Forgefiends are priced to their gimmick detachment as long as Obliterators catch a price reduction and/or tanks stay good. I don't think that detachment has legs against any opponent who can reach out and waste your Warpsmiths, though.

I don't think Warp Talons will get nerfed. They have the same ability that bikes used to, except they can only fly off if they were in melee but aren't now. That's cool but it's less disruptive than, say, a wing Autarch or Callidus Assassin. They still need to hit an 8-9 charge if they're DSing in to fight without an ingress.

I will be really disappointed if the only viable detachment is one of the one-unit-only gimmicks. I doubt those will be very viable at all, though.

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say ita genuinely crazy how many people like me are getting back into the game after 3rd specifically, welcome!

Third edition was six years and fourth was four. Plus second edition was five. Third was basically two editions by modern standards.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
If purchase the kroot box with the tau codex does that get me the full tau codex in the app or am I being foolish

My plan for my tau and kroot army is just mashing a kroot box and whichever of the tau combat patrols I can can get. I wanna kitbash some vespids too but it all costs money and I don't

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 19, 2024

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure you should get a code for the app in the codex.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/19/sunday-preview-the-dawnbringers-saga-ends-under-a-cloud-of-chaos/

If someone is looking to spend way too much money on terrain, there is going to be a Made to Order window focused on terrain.
Why these aren't still in production is anyone's guess. But now you can load up on all kinds of generators and boxes.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say ita genuinely crazy how many people like me are getting back into the game after 3rd specifically, welcome!

Also in that boat. As previously stated, editions were way longer back then. I also think the timing just lines up well for a lot of millennials finally getting some job security and breathing room in our budgets and turning back to expensive hobbies we gave up when we discovered college/booze/the opposite sex.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Virtual Russian posted:

Also in that boat. As previously stated, editions were way longer back then. I also think the timing just lines up well for a lot of millennials finally getting some job security and breathing room in our budgets and turning back to expensive hobbies we gave up when we discovered college/booze/the opposite sex.

Haha jokes on you i never discovered any sex!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Al-Saqr posted:

Haha jokes on you i never discovered any sex!

Warhammer 40k: Joke's on you, I never discovered any sex!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Warhammer 40k: Joke's on you, I never discovered any sex!

lol this should absolutely be the new thread title

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

These push-fit Necron Warriors in the Patrol Box are the worst loving build of my short 40k career so far. Mold lines everywhere, fiddly arm joints, and the pegs on the heads are too wide for the holes they're supposed to go into; it's a nightmare. Everything else from the Patrol box and the Royal Court? A dream to build, the Doomstalker has some panels that will require glue but that's easy enough and I can add those on after everything is painted.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I feel like 10th has just been a conspicuously good jumping on point? The IP seems to be doing well and they seem better at promoting themselves in a way that doesn't actively alienate the majority of people. 9th was at once the edition for when people were actively looking for new hobbies whilst also hampered by restrictions on play for the same reason, which put a bunch of eyes on this as an entrance to actual play.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

rantmo posted:

These push-fit Necron Warriors in the Patrol Box are the worst loving build of my short 40k career so far. Mold lines everywhere, fiddly arm joints, and the pegs on the heads are too wide for the holes they're supposed to go into; it's a nightmare. Everything else from the Patrol box and the Royal Court? A dream to build, the Doomstalker has some panels that will require glue but that's easy enough and I can add those on after everything is painted.

Remove the majority of the pegs and then glue them together to save you some grief.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cooked Auto posted:

Remove the majority of the pegs and then glue them together to save you some grief.

Yeah, I'm going to have to with the heads, which is really tricky to navigate with the build of the faces but doable. The rest is just finicky and kind of annoying but manageable.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Orks need a new warboss model so he can get off his teeny tinny 40mm base and get on the 50s with the rest of the big lads.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

rantmo posted:

I hate how a lot of the warriors' heads have at least one poorly placed nub right on top that makes the details look crusty. Even with sanding.

The way their arms sit inside of their ribcage is also super tricky to get right while building. It doesn't help that their limbs are super easy to snap.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I was gonna take a little space marine break, maybe paint some sisters, one of these Tau I got lying around

But then, inspiration struck

I present my magnum opus;
Gnome Beastmaster + Primaris Liutenant

= Raven Guard Birdmaster

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The other Battle Brothers stopped remarking that Brother Beakers companion didn't look much like a raven after it mauled Brother Thiccums so hard he had to be put into a Dreadnought.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Aliensandwich posted:

I hate how a lot of the warriors' heads have at least one poorly placed nub right on top that makes the details look crusty. Even with sanding.

The way their arms sit inside of their ribcage is also super tricky to get right while building. It doesn't help that their limbs are super easy to snap.

I don't even bother with sanding nubs anymore. Nip it close, cut it closer with the exacto knife then scrape it down like a mould line with the back of the knife and you won't see it under paint.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure you should get a code for the app in the codex.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/19/sunday-preview-the-dawnbringers-saga-ends-under-a-cloud-of-chaos/

If someone is looking to spend way too much money on terrain, there is going to be a Made to Order window focused on terrain.
Why these aren't still in production is anyone's guess. But now you can load up on all kinds of generators and boxes.

Cool, I think I'll have to order some of that. It's a shame GW isn't selling the pipeline terrain to go with all that industrial terrain.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Decorus posted:

Cool, I think I'll have to order some of that. It's a shame GW isn't selling the pipeline terrain to go with all that industrial terrain.

Yeah i might try necromunda so those terrain pieces with verticality to them look mighty interesting if priced reasonably

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah i might try necromunda so those terrain pieces with verticality to them look mighty interesting if priced reasonably

Look up Zone Mortalis columns and walls. That’s how much the new ones will cost, then decide if you want a table’s worth.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeast posted:

Look up Zone Mortalis columns and walls. That’s how much the new ones will cost, then decide if you want a table’s worth.

Ahhhahahahahahhaha

Im just gonna get a nice FDM set instead from a terrain maker online

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Terrain is like the ideal situation to just get 3d printed stuff because you don't need that perfect detail of plastic injection.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's a lot easier to fill a table with 3rd party MDF terrain, DIY stuff, ZM-alike 3D prints, and junk from your recycle bin painted black.

In general, as long as it's painted it will look fine. The official Zone Mortalis stuff is incredible though.

If you're going the DIY route, check out the gardening section. A lot of planters, seedling trays, etc have the right look and are cheap as hell.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I pretty much have hallways and doors and stuff solidly on lock because I have the Boarding action terrain, it’s building the more open verticality parts that I’ll do the FDM/3D print stuff for.

I have quite a bit of terrain that I got second hand from ebay like the Octarius terrain, I’m also the proud owner of the Haemotrope reactor that I got secondhand off ebay for half the MSRP.

These guys seem to have some really nice stuff that’s pre-pained:-

https://battlesystems.co.uk/

These guys have some really super dense verticality, sadly not painted:-

https://promethiumforge.com/

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I have a 9 tile table of ZM plastic terrain, but I also have a significant head injury and a credit card, so don’t listen to me.

And now that there’s ruined ZM terrain coming, I’ll have to bash my head again.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I wish they'd offer that terrain set with the statues again, I really want those.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They should bring back the Chapel of Sanctuary terrain set.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Jeez, I forgot that chaos marines used to be just fantasy guys with a gun.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

X-posting from paint thread

Slowly picking away at my Vostroyans

First a Regimental Preacher, always loved this sculpt, nice to finally get some paint on it.

An Armoured Sentinel for my combat patrol. So much pin washing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Where does one find some old man heads for imperial guard? I have a desire to build a "Dad's Army" kill team. I've got everything I need in my bits, except for some heads with mustaches.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You get 3 british commando heads in the Tempester Scions box, one of them looks like

But finding someone selling 3d printed bits might be the best option.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Might be able to source a couple of from old Empire WHFB kits. Plenty of 'staches there, even if the options might decrease a bit with whatever hats/helmets they have.

The Scions kit does also have a grizzled dude with an eyepatch.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

If you want really grizzled, though a bit on the crazy looking side I think the old Empire flagellants still exist for AoS or will be back for Old World soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Finished my squad of custom warp talons.

Someday I'm going to sit down and put shoulder decals on like 30 models all at once lol.