Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

Resisting... so hard... Being.... good.... ARGH

Wideload89

gently caress. I'm going to hell.

Boomer :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

I don't mean to specifically pick on 'star traders'

unless they're ripping things off wholesale

this also looks really familiar, I just can't place it

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Works. Plus it's crobbed from a better sci-fi.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

A quick vid because I hate that graph and love GORFs, I have credited you in the description GORF, hope it is OK my friend.
No gameplay, another one of my award winning editorial pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDmE5t3cOUc

Dear God, man, that was BRILLIANT! And the Chris Isaak was a lovely choice (yeah, THAT'S the one song of yours I knew. Thanks for I, Monster though.)

My only critique is that maybe it is time, with serious videos like that, you drop the misspelling schtick, because otherwise you give these nearsighted fools the chance to convince themselves it is all a prank, and dissuade the not yet mindraped it is all "funny ha ha" not "funny Stimpire style."

You are one of the finest weapons we have in this war, son, and we don't need you blunted by short attention span idiots.

As always, I could very well be full of poo poo, so listen to what you will.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

Alpha Patch 2.3.0f has been released to the PTU, and is now available for players to test!

Important Callouts: PTU players in this initial test will have access to the Khartu-al in AC and Crusader, and the Starfarer (if you have the Revel & York hangar on your account). Players on the PTU who both have the Revel & York Hangar and do not have the Starfarer will find themselves directed into the Revel & York Hangar. Regardless of hangar selected on the website. Stalker S5 missiles only have a range of 30m.

Updates and Fixes

Fixed some additional issues with Pirate AI in Crusader, including unresponsiveness or erratic flying. Fixed an issue where loadouts edited via the Holotable are not saved when going into Arena Commander Fixed an issue where users couldn’t get into the pilot or co-pilot seat of the Starfarer.

I don't think these guys are allowed to go home until 2.3 is Live and CIG can see some sweet Starfarer cash. someone send help.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Xaerael posted:

Resisting... so hard... Being.... good.... ARGH

Wideload89

gently caress. I'm going to hell.

Lmao. Dead.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

o9 commando I knew I could count on your support

And you have MY SWORD!

No, it is NOT Hanzo steel. And I own no fedora/trilbys. NO, I am NOT a MLP fan!

Imma bout to take the sword away...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ideate posted:

Something from an Assassin's Creed title?

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Something from an Assassin's Creed title?

honestly looks like art from a lovely facebook browser game that involves you building various buildings on pre-determined slots.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ideate posted:

It's very close to a set of armour from Gladiator (below), but not close enough to be a Sandishop. I don't think it's from GoT, though the sheer number of different armours and variations of those armours is insane.

It's essentially this style of armour.

tracking it to source is fairly hard, since it's a pretty common armour config, and Gladiator made asymetric heavy left side armours super popular.

e. I wouldn't be surprised is it's from some old fantasy sci-fi like Krull or something like Willow/Legend/etc.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 26, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D_Smart posted:

They couldn't have because once they figured out that the path they took netted them the most money, they stayed on it. Here we are.

You know, that aspect kind of makes me think of the whole MLM thing. For anyone outside the top management/first adopters to make any real money, at some point, the entire world would have to be recruited.

(BTW, are we the PARRRRRP Sea?)

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

ideate posted:

wait someone posted this already and I missed it right

:vince:

trucutru posted:

They could have used the real thing

All I can see is

and we all know how that ended.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

phosdex posted:

planning things a week ahead is real difficult, ben "developer" lesnick

But, but, you have to give them enough time between plasma bank visits to recover if you want them to stay backers!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

CrazyTolradi posted:

One thing I would say about your analysis is that these two things would likely happen well after CIG is in dangerous cash levels. Companies with management as haphazard and incompetent as CIG will try operating well beyond the point where they are insolvent. The first real rumblings will be increasing rumours of employees not being paid for lengthy periods of time.

The sales towards the end of last year have given CIG some more fuel for the boilers for sure, but I'd say (as has been suggested before) that they're using backer funds as security against loans/credit arrangements which will allow them to operate longer. As to the wisdom of such a move, it's consistent with every other business decision CIG have made in the last 2-3 years.
Fair point.

I tend to operate under the assumption -- perhaps overly generous -- that Erin is a pragmatist and voice of reason at CIG, and possibly the only one who has real power and juice with Chris. Chris has shown over the past couple of decades that he is willing to take longshot gambles that could destroy a company/game/film, even though he's proven less and less successful at pulling them off. (Strike commander, Freelancer, Ascendent, etc.)

Erin can't be in the dark about cash and I doubt he'd keep his loyal cadre from the truth if the company was in an outright nosedive and out of fuel. They came from safe and lucrative jobs to work for him-- not Chris-- so there are a lot of longstanding friendships at stake. Relationships don't last as long as those have by people who aren't professionally honest with each other.

I speculate perhaps wildly when it comes to Foundry but EightAce's posts -- particularly the most recent -- suggest major tug-of-wars are afoot and it's my belief they indicate a revolt from a power block overseas. Maybe the cash position is a part of that but man, there are so many other potential areas of frustration that could prompt a revolt, not the least of which might be scope creep (that they are largely on the hook for), endless do-overs on everything (even now), or engineering debt (that they're largely on the hook for) or the constant LA stupidity (that makes them all look bad) or some combination of all of the above.

I may be completely off base though-- dim as the lighting is into some of these realms. If I look back in two months and it seems in the optimist at the moment, I'll be the first to admit that which I'd find hard to believe, namely that it is even worse than I think.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

ideate posted:

wait someone posted this already and I missed it right

Holy poo poo that's blatant

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

G0RF posted:

THE WALL OF :words:

Gorf what's your take on CIG selling to outside investors? Seems the general vibe is their product and customer base is to vile to attract buyers.

The cynic in me thinks that there absolutely will be a buyout when cig is backed into a corner. Even if the brand is a toxic wasteland, it's known and I'm not sure about the legal case to be made for their liabilities to backers

That would probably be funnier than a flat out institutional collapse, so bring it on

ideate
Aug 20, 2002
hey g0rf I sent you a PM and the notification system here is not always obvious sorry for crapping up the thread

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

For the dude asking about the dog rear end wallpaper thing, and asbestos, watch from 49 mins to 53 mins, dog rear end things at 55 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMXuu01jAdg

These are the people in charge of the game, mind you.

Inspires confidence!!!!11!!!!!11

paaarp

Congrats! It took asbestos consumption and canine rectum wallpaper to get me to sit through more than, ohhhhhhhh, 15 seconds of ATV. Good job. Imma end myself now.

Any future posts will be from my experimental NeoNazi love slave shitposter AI.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Samizdata posted:

Congrats! It took asbestos consumption and canine rectum wallpaper to get me to sit through more than, ohhhhhhhh, 15 seconds of ATV. Good job. Imma end myself now.

both were backer milestone goals too.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Nebiros posted:

Posting from way the gently caress back, but how the gently caress through this chain did 'A Mote in God's Eye' not get brought up. Bolo, CJ Cherryh's poo poo and for comedy, "The Man Kzin Wars'' to see where Crobber got his career of intellectual theft too.I enjoyed Glen Cook's Dark War (name aside) and Starfisher trilogy too.

How could I have forgotten the Bolo books? I keep going back and back to the old ones. Also Steakley's Armor (of course, part of that is that I keep tripping over copies in the weirdest places).

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Is that a new brand name for insulin?

Book-chat: Anybody tried Julian May by the by? I used to enjoy her work back when I was a teenager, and it still holds up for the odd nostalgia-read. It's cheating sci-fi (or at least the first set of books is, being set in a sci-fi sculpted fantasy setting) but has plenty of fun ideas, if somewhat bananas ones.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 26, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

orcinus posted:

gently caress sound cards, buy a decent DAC and use optical out from your onboard to hook it up.
Cheap dedicated external DAC is still better than a mid-end sound card (if there are any still out there) in most cases.

Say what you will, I miss my Razer Barracuda. It was connected via optical to an okay to decent Sony surround amp.

Dusty Lens posted:

Ask your physicist/not dumb friends to explain that one from a realism standpoint.

They haven't figured out a technology/aesthetic standard. It's all over the loving place and based on Wing Commander science where everyone goes quiet on spaceships (even the bulldozer driver) while the enemy tries to find you with depth charges.

As I understand it, the pieces only rotate to facilitate cargo loading. It's no faux gravity devices.

And while we are :spergin: here, why, with all the airlock stuff, do we see no venting or pressurization or such when someone pops a hatch on the ships?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Goobs posted:

Wait, on Sandi's imdb:

Around the Verse (TV Series)

ATV was on TV? That's weird. I always thought it was just on youtube.

also, lol:

The Bold and the Beautiful (TV Series)
Reporter
- Episode #1.5679 (2009) ... Reporter

my stepdad was a reporter for an HBO show series once, I guess he's an actor and NOT an extra. jesus christ talk about resume padding, she's such a joke.

So, that time back in the late 80's when I got cast in a Pepsi commercial means I can have a IMDB page, and have to pay Equity dues?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Say what you will, I miss my Razer Barracuda. It was connected via optical to an okay to decent Sony surround amp.

As I understand it, the pieces only rotate to facilitate cargo loading. It's no faux gravity devices.

And while we are :spergin: here, why, with all the airlock stuff, do we see no venting or pressurization or such when someone pops a hatch on the ships?

They Terraformed space you silly goon.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Samizdata posted:

The artificial gravity keeps the air inside

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Samizdata posted:

So, that time back in the late 80's when I got cast in a Pepsi commercial means I can have a IMDB page, and have to pay Equity dues?

Basically. You should fill out your own IMDB page like she has!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Warcabbit posted:

We did improve the website a little, but you're right that we're not spending that much attention on it.

You're combining my efforts to try to get the rights to CoH away from NCSoft with Paragon Chat, which will let you visit more zones than Atlas Park. Codeweaver is a good guy, and he's done miracles with it, but I can't use it myself for various reasons.

Why, did you have any questions?

I don't know if I've mentioned this, but Wildcat from Virtue here, rooting for you guys. *wave wave* Good luck with the Koreans.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Holy gently caress, I just realized I should have an IMDB page...

On the fly edit: HOLY gently caress THE THING I'M FEATURED HEAVILY IN HAS AN IMDB PAGE!

Move over Sandi, it's my time to shine!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It is remarkably easy to get a SAG card, you just have to work 7 days on a SAG union job, or something like that. You are now a certified actor/actress congratulations.

Why would they code in airlocks in this game? I mean there is two doors already that have it, so it's in there already. So annoying all these questions.

paaaarp.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

Holy gently caress, I just realized I should have an IMDB page...

On the fly edit: HOLY gently caress THE THING I'M FEATURED HEAVILY IN HAS AN IMDB PAGE!

Move over Sandi, it's my time to shine!

godspeed o9

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

D_Smart posted:

I am sticking to my story because I know with 100% certainty, that I'm right.

The story that says they shoulda gone under 3 months ago? Okay. I hope you're right.

D_Smart posted:

This is how analysts work. You make predictions/analysis based on information at hand, and forecast trends.

I guess they didn't forecast Christmas. Or Citizencon, which wouldn't be so much a "forecast" rather than a "read CIG's website." But whatever, it's all good, we're all Commandos here o7

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 26, 2016

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I'm not really going to make myself an IMDB page. It's just funny that I could and I could legitimize it due to what I was in already having a page.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I live for pointing out how insignificant egotistical people's accomplishments are.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SomethingJones posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6496779/#Comment_6496779

"As a US Marine with several combat tours, I can tell you from first hand experience that military gear does not rattle that much. If it does, we tape it up with electrical tape so that it does not. The metallic rattling in the preview video was very excessive and needs to be scaled back quite a bit.

here are a few videos I pulled up on youtube that show some common sounds."

You mean soldiers don't try to sounds like maracas when they're trying not to be shot?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Xaerael posted:

I live for pointing out how insignificant egotistical people's accomplishments are.

Eight egotistical egoists echoing egotistical ecstasies

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Midnight Voyager posted:

You mean soldiers don't try to sounds like maracas when they're trying not to be shot?

When I'm on a Covert Op and I stub my toe, I don't swear at the top of my lungs.

You see, this is just SOP (That's Secret Original Professionalism) for us military types.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Midnight Voyager posted:

I missed this post but yeah it's true. We even tape down frag pins. Maybe it's different...IN SPEHHHHHHSSSSS!!!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Well there is no sound in space :shrug:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Goobs posted:

my hearing is damaged by exposure to explosions. lots of explosions and small arms fire. i have a razor headset cranked on max at all times to be able to hear well. i feel your pain commando. its a pain in the rear end when talking as well because I tend to talk very loud irl because of my hearing and i try to compensate, usually people have to tell me to shhhhhhh

peter gabriel posted:

I've had six operations so far, my buddies know that if I stand up and turn left there is a good chance I will just fall over, my inner ear is in worse shape than Star Marine.

Hearing impaired buddies represent! :hfive: I have some pretty serious tinnitus issues. There's a good chance I am suffering from Meniere's. The vertigo is getting worse lately though. :sigh:

First option I look for in games is subtitles. And kudos for Netflix for enhancing options for the hearing impaired. (Got Daredevil on my second monitor right now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

So are you now saying it's two months from this exact moment (tops) or that it's Oktober + 90 days + 2 months.

I mean just for the record.

Wait does this mean you will never be a runway model : (

He COULD be an ambiturner though.

• Locked thread