Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

kntfkr posted:

Evil is always more fun than good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
it's the "good" path and the "not even remotely taking the narrative seriously" path

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Early Access came into existence when someone realized that beta testing is a thing that people actually enjoy doing and may be willing to pay for that privilege. And that's the truth; I beta tested a ton of poo poo as a kid and enjoyed all of it, I wouldn't have paid for any of it because I was a child but it's understandable that a bunch of MBA parasites in a board room would figure out how to prey on that nostalgia. If this was the 1990s Hades 2 "early access" would be something you apply for on a HTML page for free

This makes it sound like people are paying extra for early access. You get the full game when it's ready, and you can play the unfinished version early if you want, at no extra cost. There's literally no downside for the customer.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

There's literally no downside for the customer.

:chloe:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Devils Affricate posted:

You get the full game when it's ready

Correction: you get the full game if it's ever ready.
there's no guarantee that any particular EA game will actually complete all their planned features, and the studio won't run out of money and collapse, pivot in a direction you hate, release a clearly unifinished "1.0" because they're tired and want to move onto the next thing, stall out at version 0.1 forever while the dev logs in once every 6 months to say "hey im still alive yall", etc
not a big fear for a studio with a good history like Supergiant at least.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Correction: you get the full game if it's ever ready.
there's no guarantee that any particular EA game will actually complete all their planned features, and the studio won't run out of money and collapse, pivot in a direction you hate, release a clearly unifinished "1.0" because they're tired and want to move onto the next thing, stall out at version 0.1 forever while the dev logs in once every 6 months to say "hey im still alive yall", etc
not a big fear for a studio with a good history like Supergiant at least.

I mean yeah, if you straight up don't have confidence in the developer to actually finish their game, that's one thing. I'm not expecting that to happen with Hades 2.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

QuarkJets posted:

Early Access came into existence when someone realized that beta testing is a thing that people actually enjoy doing and may be willing to pay for that privilege. And that's the truth; I beta tested a ton of poo poo as a kid and enjoyed all of it, I wouldn't have paid for any of it because I was a child but it's understandable that a bunch of MBA parasites in a board room would figure out how to prey on that nostalgia. If this was the 1990s Hades 2 "early access" would be something you apply for on a HTML page for free

The concept was popularized by Minecraft.

Notch's sins are beyond counting but birthing this into the world is the worst thing he's ever done.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I mostly don't gently caress with early access because I end up playing their vertical slice five times in different iterations and then the full game releases and I'm tired of it. I'd rather wait and play the whole thing when it's done.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Notch's sins are beyond counting but birthing this into the world is the worst thing he's ever done.
I thought it mainly blew up because of Kickstarter projects using it as a backer perk (and, in turn, as a way to continue getting funding)?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Nah, Notch started selling Alpha access for money in like 2009. Kickstarter started around the same time, but didn't really take off as a way to fund video games until after Star Citizen (lol) in 2012.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

counterfeitsaint posted:

Notch released with a rising cost plan tho, first Minecraft release was free, then $5 then $10, and eventually $30 so EA didn't follow his lead.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Minecraft 1.0 was released in 2011. The beta period only lasted about a year.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
mount and blade had a really long period where you could send the guy $20 to get an early version starting in line 2006. that was a massively ambitious indie project with lots of updates, so it felt fine and maybe even cool to experience it that way.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Devils Affricate posted:

Minecraft 1.0 was released in 2011. The beta period only lasted about a year.

Yeah, that's the other problem with early access introduced by Notch, or at least made a lot more common. Version 1.0 is just the version that comes between 0.9 and 1.1, and is not in any way significant or a huge leap forward, it's just when they game devs are tired of using the word beta.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Notch is bad, but I felt some minecraft players were a bit excessive when they went through all his social media and chats to create a uncomfortably detailed calendar that showed how notch was «lazy» and didn’t work on the game as much as they felt he «owed» them. It’s a ten dollar game dudes you’re not paying him by the hour.

Edit:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121121134158/http://i53.tinypic.com/r73yps.png

ymgve fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 9, 2024

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i don't blame notch for being like gently caress this poo poo, then selling minecraft for billions. he is however a right wing tool and also a massive loser who sits around in an empty mansion with stale candy.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
He turned down an opportunity to smoke with snoop, and therefore has cemented his place as history's greatest moron.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ymgve posted:

Notch is bad, but I felt some minecraft players were a bit excessive when they went through all his social media and chats to create a uncomfortably detailed calendar that showed how notch was «lazy» and didn’t work on the game as much as they felt he «owed» them. It’s a ten dollar game dudes you’re not paying him by the hour.

Edit:

Yeah that's some embarrassing gamerism for sure.

I remember Notch getting a lot of flack when he sold Minecraft because he kept almost all of the money for himself and screwed over his team of well over a dozen people who had been doing all the work on the game for awhile by that point. Then as soon as he became a billionaire he moved to America and discovered the virtue of greedy conservatism and tweeted to the world that it was okay to be white and the world awkwardly moved on and tried to forget they even knew anyone named Notch.

I haven't heard anything about him since then and if I'm lucky it will stay that way.

I still blame him for being the major driving force behind normalizing the whole "buy my game when it's unfinished and you can play the beta until I finish it. Oh btw the next build is 1.0 it's finished now. What bugs and unfinished content?" method of game development.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah that's some embarrassing gamerism for sure.

I remember Notch getting a lot of flack when he sold Minecraft because he kept almost all of the money for himself and screwed over his team of well over a dozen people who had been doing all the work on the game for awhile by that point. Then as soon as he became a billionaire he moved to America and discovered the virtue of greedy conservatism and tweeted to the world that it was okay to be white and the world awkwardly moved on and tried to forget they even knew anyone named Notch.

I haven't heard anything about him since then and if I'm lucky it will stay that way.

I still blame him for being the major driving force behind normalizing the whole "buy my game when it's unfinished and you can play the beta until I finish it. Oh btw the next build is 1.0 it's finished now. What bugs and unfinished content?" method of game development.

Are you gonna mention wurm online.

This thread needs to know about wurm online.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Breetai posted:

He turned down an opportunity to smoke with snoop, and therefore has cemented his place as history's greatest moron.

What's more moronic: refusing to smoke with Snoop, or agreeing to smoke with Joe Rogan?
Because I feel like Musk is wayyyy dumber than Notch.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Quote-Unquote posted:

What's more moronic: refusing to smoke with Snoop, or agreeing to smoke with Joe Rogan?
Because I feel like Musk is wayyyy dumber than Notch.

Musk for sure.

Notch had his 15 minutes of stupidity and then flamed out and settled into his lonely billionaire lifestyle of empty mansions and diabetes. Musk is like the Herpes rash on the upper lip of society that keeps on giving.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Notch, for all his dipshittery, actually created the thing he's famous for, while Musk has only ever invested in existing things and then taken credit for them. They both suck, but they're miles apart.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I see your schwartz is as big as mine

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't know who that is but they're right.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Video games everyone! :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsfMwov-ejg

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Oh hey, that's the video youtube recommended to me earlier that I immediately dismissed. :thanks:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'm playing Batman Arkham Asylum and I can't get over how lame Batman is.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
More like Badman

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Vic posted:

I'm playing Batman Arkham Asylum and I can't get over how lame Batman is.

How's the game though?

Edit: imo City has more fluid combat/movement, but Asylum is the better game overall. Except for that terrible last boss, of course.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bioshock both perfected and perfectly deconstructed the evil playthrough back in 2006, all the games that came after are just competing for the "4th man over 250 lbs w/ port wine stain birthmark to summit Everest" of evil playthroughs.

ymgve posted:

Edit:

Kickstarter drama is hilarious, it's always a bunch of 15 year olds saying "We gave these people twenty-three thousand dollars four years ago! Where is our MMO!?" While the creator recites some litany of woe about how their house burned down and their wife got Morgellons and their dog joined Sea Org.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

itry posted:

How's the game though?

Edit: imo City has more fluid combat/movement, but Asylum is the better game overall. Except for that terrible last boss, of course.

I don't know I'm still at the beginning but it's all super linear and simplistic, and I can't see poo poo cause stupid batman is in the way

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Vic posted:

I don't know I'm still at the beginning but it's all super linear and simplistic, and I can't see poo poo cause stupid batman is in the way

Out of combat? If you're on PC there are ways to change that stuff. Fixing the camera with over the shoulder games is usually the first thing I do.

https://www.nexusmods.com/batmanarkhamasylum/mods/117

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Batman:_Arkham_Asylum#Batman:_Arkham_Asylum_-_Advanced_Launcher

Regarding the linearity, iirc, it opens up kinda like a Metroidvania.

Edit: Also https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Batman:_Arkham_Asylum#Center_Main_Camera_View

itry fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 11, 2024

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

ymgve posted:

Edit:

i wouldn't be surprised if this was made in the ycs minecraft thread

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Minecraft just kinda sucks and bores the hell out of me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

emSparkly posted:

Same

I played in the beta test however long ago that was, 15 years? Boring as gently caress. My 7 year old got obsessed with minecraft because he saw some pretty neat videos about it on YouTube, and then I bought him a copy and he tried playing it. That fascination wore off real fast. We tried a few mods but I think he's learning that the actual game isn't as fun and fast-paced as what he sees in a well-edited video

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

emSparkly posted:

Maybe it's better with friends, but I don't have those. It loving sucks playing single player

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I was really into hardcore single player for a while, never beat the ender dragon though. When everything is on the line it makes for a much less boring experience.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

neato burrito posted:

I was really into hardcore single player for a while, never beat the ender dragon though. When everything is on the line it makes for a much less boring experience.

There is no progression. That is what I like from a video game, doing things for a reason. Minecraft didn't have that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

i liked making my progression based on my own goals in-game, until they added all kinds of poo poo like spells and stuff and then I kinda fell off