Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reservoir hogs
Jan 24, 2024

egg
i think minecraft is a game where if you play it single player, you almost need to have an objective in mind at all times. i haven't played it since late beta really but doing neat thing with how lava would illuminate an area and using the fact that monsters don't (wouldn't?) spawn on half heights was something i liked to mess around with. it doesn't work the way it used to anymore, and i haven't been able to find any other weird things that interest me so i've never been able to get back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

i liked making my progression based on my own goals in-game, until they added all kinds of poo poo like spells and stuff and then I kinda fell off

great. that is cool as poo poo. just isn't for me

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I really just think Minecraft being slow and open is what kills it for me. I absolutely love Terraria, which is really similar but you hit milestones way faster and the combat is more plentiful and exciting.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

emSparkly posted:

I really just think Minecraft being slow and open is what kills it for me. I absolutely love Terraria, which is really similar but you hit milestones way faster and the combat is more plentiful and exciting.

I feel the same. Somewhere to go, something to do. That is the least I want out of a game

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I had a lot of fun with Terraria, I'm still amazed that they're adding content years after dude said he was done with it lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

There is no progression. That is what I like from a video game, doing things for a reason. Minecraft didn't have that

What? There is though, you need to get the shot to kill the ender dragon so you can start the game and get the big wings to fly around with fireworks farms. Gotta work your way there building other crap along the way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Terraria is a better battle game but not as good for playing Legos. Only cool part is luring in villagers to live in your paper towns and making an underground railway.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

What? There is though, you need to get the shot to kill the ender dragon so you can start the game and get the big wings to fly around with fireworks farms. Gotta work your way there building other crap along the way.

I like when they hold my hand

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Minecraft is cool when you play on a server with a buncha other goons and you all build stuff and look at each other's stuff.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Rope games & incost simulators

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

kntfkr posted:

Rope games & incost simulators
I made it through the first two games and noped the gently caress out.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

numberoneposter posted:

I made it through the first two games and noped the gently caress out.

Can’t imagine watching that would be a good use of time…, UNLIKE POSTING

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024
Was GTA5 the final major game release with widespread locations having lines of people waiting until midnight for a physical copy?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No. Last time I picked up a game at a retail store at midnight it was Mario Odyssey. I showed up a bit after midnight and the line was already almost through so I just walked in and got my copy. No clue how long the line was before but there clearly was something of one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There has never been a game so good that it was worth waiting in a line at midnight to buy it

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

QuarkJets posted:

There has never been a game so good that it was worth waiting in a line at midnight to buy it

Or anything really. Lines are for idiots.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

kntfkr posted:

how else am I going to get a 54" plasma TV for $39.99

oh, right, the internet

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kntfkr posted:

Nah, lines are a kind of cost and there are some things valuable enough for that cost to be worth paying; it would be worth waiting in line at midnight to receive a million dollars or to watch a livestream of Rush Limbaugh in hell getting his rear end filled with hot coals

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Nah, lines are a kind of cost and there are some things valuable enough for that cost to be worth paying; it would be worth waiting in line at midnight to receive a million dollars or to watch a livestream of Rush Limbaugh in hell getting his rear end filled with hot coals

now I want someone to post that picture of that dude pissing on Rush Limbaugh's grave.
Why did I not save that?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

now I want someone to post that picture of that dude pissing on Rush Limbaugh's grave.
Why did I not save that?

oh that's a good point, I'd wait in line at midnight to piss on Rush Limbaugh's grave yeah - like if for some reason that was the only time people were allowed to do it, per some weird loophole in his will, then sure let's go but not if it's something I can just do the next morning

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

oh that's a good point, I'd wait in line at midnight to piss on Rush Limbaugh's grave yeah - like if for some reason that was the only time people were allowed to do it, per some weird loophole in his will, then sure let's go but not if it's something I can just do the next morning

you can do it anytime. best part is, it's free

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I've never vibed with games about crafting or farming, because I try to avoid that poo poo in games where its a gate in the way of me getting swords that make numbers go up and hitting skeletons with said swords.

gently caress Bloodstained's stupid little recipe quest forever.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

My favorite part of any survival and / or crafting game is the first half or so; I've got no problem throwing away hours and restarting.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I wanted to like Darkwood but i hate crafting so dang much that i just can’t do it.

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024
I hate racing games that force me to tune every miniscule aspect of every car, i just wanna vroom vroom go

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

SeenYourPoopypants posted:

I hate racing games that force me to tune every miniscule aspect of every car, i just wanna vroom vroom go

This reminds me of Gran Turismo 2 (although probably applicable to all GT games)

The easiest way to beat the "exact same car" races was to switch out to the lightest wheels possible. Ostensibly a cosmetic choice, it would allow you easily lap all the other cars

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

sewer levels are so funny. everyone hates them, the devs know that, but they're like "I'm gonna be the one, I'm gonna make the fun one that everybody likes." and you just end up raising and lowering water levels in monotonous dark green hallways like the rest and it sucks

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I've never much minded sewer levels.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

This reminds me of Gran Turismo 2 (although probably applicable to all GT games)

The easiest way to beat the "exact same car" races was to switch out to the lightest wheels possible. Ostensibly a cosmetic choice, it would allow you easily lap all the other cars

Lighter wheels is not a cosmetic choice at all, you just didn't understand why (irl and in every sim like game).

The only nut that needs tuned to win first place against AI (games, sims, or real life) is behind the wheel.

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024

Caesar Saladin posted:

sewer levels are so funny. everyone hates them, the devs know that, but they're like "I'm gonna be the one, I'm gonna make the fun one that everybody likes." and you just end up raising and lowering water levels in monotonous dark green hallways like the rest and it sucks

Metal Gear Rising dared to have 2 sewer levels, one of which was in complete and total darkness

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The point in Metal Gear Solid 2 where you watch a cutscene of Snake just mowing down dozens of mooks without ever reloading his gun, then looks dead-rear end into the camera and points at the bandana he's wearing and smugly says "infinite ammo." (because the bandana was an unlockable infinite ammo cheat in MGS1) is the defining moment of video games.

I think about that scene more than I think about any other moment in a video game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It also established that Snake saved Meryl without having to directly tell you.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

The point in Metal Gear Solid 2 where you watch a cutscene of Snake just mowing down dozens of mooks without ever reloading his gun, then looks dead-rear end into the camera and points at the bandana he's wearing and smugly says "infinite ammo." (because the bandana was an unlockable infinite ammo cheat in MGS1) is the defining moment of video games.

I think about that scene more than I think about any other moment in a video game.

MGS 2 in general has so much cool stuff in it. So many people wanted an awesome cool guy snake game and he didn't want to make that and instead made a totally unhinged game that pissed tons of people off.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

SeenYourPoopypants posted:

Actually that's the best part and racing games that don't let you do that are boring

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024

fridge corn posted:

Actually that's the best part and racing games that don't let you do that are boring

No, menus and numbers are boring, go play calculators with that poo poo

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Almost every level in Quake looks like a sewer level.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Caesar Saladin posted:

MGS 2 in general has so much cool stuff in it. So many people wanted an awesome cool guy snake game and he didn't want to make that and instead made a totally unhinged game that pissed tons of people off.

The best part is that even while all those nerds were pissed off they couldn't stop playing the game because it was so loving good.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

it starts with one awesome cool guy snake, then you get another awesome cool guy snake, and then you have both of them and they team up for awhile and then there's a nude scene and uh i forget how the rest goes

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Any racing game that doesn’t let me take turns at full speed is automatically bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

QuarkJets posted:

it starts with one awesome cool guy snake, then you get another awesome cool guy snake, and then you have both of them and they team up for awhile and then there's a nude scene and uh i forget how the rest goes

Is that where that one goon's avatar comes from?