Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I use a guitar amp with a 6 inch speaker for my bass and no complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

rio posted:

I use a guitar amp with a 6 inch speaker for my bass and no complaints.

guitar amp with a guitar cab is fine to use no matter what instrument you plug into it. same goes for guitar amp and a bass cab.

a bass amp with a guitar cab is a disaster waiting to happen but if you recognize this and are careful with your volume levels that combination can sound dope

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just make sure you use a bass cable not a guitar cable

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

not sure if joking

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

This guy gets it.

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
My left hand has been getting pretty torn up after band practice sessions, which I initially attributed to the cold weather, but on closer examination it seems my neck has shrunk and the frets are poking out along the bottom and goring holes in my hand. I did a bit of Googling, and it seems like this is a somewhat normal issue when guitars are exposed to too arid/humid climates.

There's not a lot I can do about living in Canada, but is there anything I can do to save my hands/bass? File the frets down? Give it to a pro to do? This is my beater bass (Daisy Rock Candy Bass, haha), so I wouldn't want to invest too much money in the solution.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
if you wanna do something to do frets, def let a pro do it. it's not super expensive and you'll only end up loving it up if you DIY for the first time.

as for the weather, not much you can do. try to minimize exposure to extreme temperatures (impossible, i live in Finland) and changes in air moisture. store it in a hard case somewhere with steady room temperature.

if you move your bass from cold to warm or vice versa, let it warm up for a while before you start playing'

Pokey Araya posted:

This guy gets it.

well you cannot argue with the fact that guitar cabs just werent made for the low frequencies a bass head is capable of putting out.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I still want a Rick so I can use guitar amps without actually killing them.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I still want a Rick so I can use guitar amps without actually killing them.

it's got more to do with the amp than the bass

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Filing sharp frets is super easy and you could do it without messing up anything if you are careful with even just a nail file. To be even safer, get a cheap file to file your file (dawg) - you file the edge that is against the wood and leave the upper part alone so it is smooth against the neck but still filing the fret ends. If you really want to be safe you can use painters tape on each side of the fret ends. Considering that any new instrument you buy will have sharp frets at some point unless you live somewhere with a static climate it is worth knowing how to do it.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Pokey Araya posted:

All I was saying was 2x12s sound rad, he was asking about 2x12 cabs or 4x10s, both are good, together even better. Also I was dispelling the rumor that you can't use guitar poo poo with bass. I used an extreme example. Most people playing at a normal volume will have no problems with guitar speakers, and they will not blow up an amp if you match the resistance. Second off yeah, I turn poo poo up and tour around the country doing it, so of course my equipment gets thrashed.

My advice for beginners:

A Fender rumble 500 is perfect for 99% of gigs. Eden makes great amps and cabs, it's hard to go wrong with them. Start with 4 strings and learn some old Motown songs. Practice every day. Also don't be afraid to experiment with stuff

Better?

I'm just teasing, those two quotes were too funny to not put together. Godspeed to you and everyone else playing ridiculous rigs! If it were feasible, I'd love to run like 3-4 Ampeg V4s through a bunch of Bergantino sealed cabs.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

rio posted:

Filing sharp frets is super easy and you could do it without messing up anything if you are careful with even just a nail file. To be even safer, get a cheap file to file your file (dawg) - you file the edge that is against the wood and leave the upper part alone so it is smooth against the neck but still filing the fret ends. If you really want to be safe you can use painters tape on each side of the fret ends. Considering that any new instrument you buy will have sharp frets at some point unless you live somewhere with a static climate it is worth knowing how to do it.

Yeah, knocking down the sharp ends is a super easy job. I did it with a nail file on two of my kit guitars and my horrible old acoustic bass and didn't gently caress up once. I guess the trick is to just go real slow and make sure you don't touch the top of the frets.

I also put tape along the side of the neck in case I accidentally drag the file across it, but the tape has always been pristine after.

You can also use sandpaper to clean/shine them up a bit after you file. High grit, go slow, be careful, no problems.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
A friend of mine is a guitar tech so I trust him to do stuff like that. One of my guitars had a bunch of fret edges pop out of the neck after a cold snap. He decided not to file the ends all the way flush with the neck while it was cold and dry because there was a chance that would cause fret sprout in the more humid summer when the wood would be it's most swole.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

A while back I played a Taylor acoustic mini bass in a store and loved it. It's guitar sized with metal strings! But it was $700 in the US and $950+ where I live. And I thought, well, if only one company is doing this it must be a gimmick.

Come to find out Ibanez is just using the same technology on a $250 (in the US) model. So, while that still means $400 to me overseas, that's still a lot more attractive. And the fact that there are multiple brands now doing this means it seems like less of a gimmick and less likely to disappear. If I get it and learn it I'd still be the "dorky bass player who only knows how to use a super short scale" which is something I was worried about before but, uh, I dunno I think these are cool and I play like 80% acoustic guitar anyways.

Anyone played either the Taylor mini bass or either of the Ibanez models (they've got one at $400 and one at $250). I trust Ibanez as a brand so I may wind up just ordering one of these sight unseen when I get my bonus in July.

https://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-PNB14...nez+parlor+bass

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 18, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Got a jam with a guitarist tomorrow who wants to play in drop G#. I'm gonna take the five string but get the impression I'm probably gonna end up playing in the same octave as him on the 3rd string instead be caught thats just crazy low otherwise.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, when guitarists get stupid low like that the best thing for a bassist to do is go more mid range and play a lot of harmonized or counter melody stuff. It just turns to mud otherwise.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

NonzeroCircle posted:

Got a jam with a guitarist tomorrow who wants to play in drop G#. I'm gonna take the five string but get the impression I'm probably gonna end up playing in the same octave as him on the 3rd string instead be caught thats just crazy low otherwise.

OK... with a .145 or .150 B string, it's not quite so bad. On my 5 string, I've got .145 and .110 for B and E, and at standard tuning they are nice and tight, but they are still playable when downtuned to Drop G (G D G C F, low to high; basically, D-standard tuning with a drop G). I know this because my band's guitarists finally took my advice and got 7 strings, which was good. Then they downtuned them and dropped the low string down another step, which is annoying. Some days, you can't win for losing.

The main challenge is getting a .145" string tuned down to G to stop moving. Forget fast, staccato, or melodic runs on that string. It just won't work. But if your speakers and amp can handle it, it does sound amazingly deep.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

NonzeroCircle posted:

Play widdly stuff at the top of the neck, clean, non-stop

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Clean, reverb, harmonics and hammer ons.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Its only a 34" GSR205 I've got. Anyone know where I can get telegraph cable via express delivery?

I'm tempted to bring the Metal Muff and set my noise gate to kill. Or maybe this is a job for the SYB and I'll just go full dubstep.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 19, 2018

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Just show up with a Uke bass, and tell him that you thought he meant "Open G"

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
He decided to wait until this morning to clarify what time we had the rehearsal room booked, then said he was working the whole period we had it so I took a guitar instead. Maybe next time.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Picked up this guy used a few weeks ago.

Really great looking and the pic doesn't do it justice. It's my first five string and second bass.

In a real :downs: design choice, a .130 B string (which is the B string in the recommended set) doesn't fit through the bridge's top load slot. I kind of want to put a thicker string on to downtune too because the group I play with seems to like to do that. The rhythm guitarist has a 7 string tuned down to A. Is this what tapered B strings are for? Would it be a terrible idea to try to file out the top load slot? It seems like a pretty extreme angle for the B string to through-body load as it is.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
For bridges where strings feed through the back of the bridge, tapered B strings can almost be a necessity--I put a .145 special order D'Addario on my Jazz 5 string, and the string wasn't tapered at the ball end. I almost had to drill out the bridge. A tapered string takes care of the one bit where the windings are thicker, and it would have slipped in easily.

For strings that go through the body, I don't know if the tapering on the string is long enough to really help out with that angle, because that angle is about 90° and there's just not much you can do about it.

For top loaders, I don't know if the taper would help or not. I wouldn't file the bridge unless I was really sure I knew what I was doing.

(My band's guitarists also have 7 strings that they tune down a step, and sometimes we're in Drop G tuning. That .145 is a necessity.)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Seven string guitar with string 7 tuned to A is the one true 7 string tuning so good for them.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
Been gigging my recently acquired Foundation a bunch, loving the super ferrites, but couldn't pass up a sweet sweet deal on this MIJ '83 Kramer Focus 7000. Has the ability to sit in the mix well like my other P, but also has the sandwiched J bass pickups in the bridge + coil tapping, and can get as hot and aggressive as I need.

Using a Broughton HPF+LPF to tame any boominess and allow me to push my Sunn all the way without getting into muddy/flubby territory. The LPF helps tame highs which comes in handy now that we are a 4 piece.

For larger shows I get to borrow our new guitarist's bass head, a Custom Hi-tone 200. I'll snag pics when we are prepping for a bigger show. I need ear plugs...last few practices felt like my head was gonna explode.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Colonel Taint posted:

Picked up this guy used a few weeks ago.

Really great looking and the pic doesn't do it justice. It's my first five string and second bass.

In a real :downs: design choice, a .130 B string (which is the B string in the recommended set) doesn't fit through the bridge's top load slot. I kind of want to put a thicker string on to downtune too because the group I play with seems to like to do that. The rhythm guitarist has a 7 string tuned down to A. Is this what tapered B strings are for? Would it be a terrible idea to try to file out the top load slot? It seems like a pretty extreme angle for the B string to through-body load as it is.

Please stop breaking into my apartment.

This is my 1997 Mexican Jazz bass. Fresh from a setup and new set of Fender roundwounds.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

Been gigging my recently acquired Foundation a bunch, loving the super ferrites, but couldn't pass up a sweet sweet deal on this MIJ '83 Kramer Focus 7000. Has the ability to sit in the mix well like my other P, but also has the sandwiched J bass pickups in the bridge + coil tapping, and can get as hot and aggressive as I need.

Using a Broughton HPF+LPF to tame any boominess and allow me to push my Sunn all the way without getting into muddy/flubby territory. The LPF helps tame highs which comes in handy now that we are a 4 piece.

For larger shows I get to borrow our new guitarist's bass head, a Custom Hi-tone 200. I'll snag pics when we are prepping for a bigger show. I need ear plugs...last few practices felt like my head was gonna explode.

I was hoping that was what you meant when you said "Foundation." Man... my first 5-string bass was a Foundation 5-string. White, maple fretboard, razorwound strings that ate the calluses off my fingers. What I wouldn't give to play her one more time....

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
My first bass was a Foundation, too. I technically still have it but it's not in a playable state (it needs refretting, because teen dipshit me fancied himself a budding Jaco.) It was a great instrument and definitely deserved a better end than it got.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Hellblazer187 posted:

A while back I played a Taylor acoustic mini bass in a store and loved it. It's guitar sized with metal strings! But it was $700 in the US and $950+ where I live. And I thought, well, if only one company is doing this it must be a gimmick.

Come to find out Ibanez is just using the same technology on a $250 (in the US) model. So, while that still means $400 to me overseas, that's still a lot more attractive. And the fact that there are multiple brands now doing this means it seems like less of a gimmick and less likely to disappear. If I get it and learn it I'd still be the "dorky bass player who only knows how to use a super short scale" which is something I was worried about before but, uh, I dunno I think these are cool and I play like 80% acoustic guitar anyways.

Anyone played either the Taylor mini bass or either of the Ibanez models (they've got one at $400 and one at $250). I trust Ibanez as a brand so I may wind up just ordering one of these sight unseen when I get my bonus in July.

https://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-PNB14...nez+parlor+bass

I don’t know anything about mini-basses, but all the research I’ve done on acoustic basses mostly say they just aren’t loud enough. I’ve been looking to get one because I feel like I’d practice that much more. I also live in an apartment. I’ve been looking at this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CB60SCEINAT--fender-cb-60sce-natural , but none of the shops near me have them in stock to try.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
They're loud enough to practice with, for sure.

There are two sort of fundamental problems with acoustic basses:

1) If you're building a 34" scale instrument and have to put the bridge in the middle of the body, the body is going to be gigantic and the reach to the nut will be long. I find full scale acoustic basses very unpleasant to play. Short scale basses fix this.

2) They're not loud enough to compete with anyone digging in. If you're playing by yourself it'll be just fine.

Personally as far as acoustic basses go I thought the Kala was more fun to play than the Taylor, but some of that was probably the price factoring in. I'd totally try the little Ibanez parlor bass.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah, both the Taylor and the Ibanez have pickups so you can plug them in. I think the acoustic factor would be more for practicing. It's the same reason you need a higher wattage amp for bass than you do for guitar, right? The frequency is so low that you need more energy to make it actually audible.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Just finished a 2hr show and riding the adrenaline.

My little corner I shared with the opening band’s bassist. The pedalboard and Markbass are mine, with a SWR 2x10 on the other side of the stage to fill out the volume a bit more than one large stack. Works well.

The opening band’s bassist was swooning over us playing “Ramble On.” We open up for what’s left of the Guess Who when they pass through town next month.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m getting back into playing bass but the only amp I have ATM is a 1x10 guitar amp. Do you goons have any recommendations for combo amps $300 or less? I’ll most likely be buying used since there are two Music Go Rounds near me.

They recently had a Peavey Max 112, but someone snagged it before I could check it out.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I’m getting back into playing bass but the only amp I have ATM is a 1x10 guitar amp. Do you goons have any recommendations for combo amps $300 or less? I’ll most likely be buying used since there are two Music Go Rounds near me.

They recently had a Peavey Max 112, but someone snagged it before I could check it out.

Fender Rumble 100.

It's $300 brand new, and used you can usually grab around $200. Class D, so the whole amp (1x12 combo) weighs about 22 pounds. It's got a really cool tone that reminds me of a vintage tube combo. Seriously, they voiced this thing very well. It's got a 4 band EQ, and three special settings that further shape the tone: bright (adds treble), contour (scoops the mids), and vintage (doubles down on the warmth of the tone while adding some compression and mids). It even has an overdrive mode with adjustable gain, and you can add a footswitch for that.

It is a lightweight, great-sounding 100 Watt amp. It'll be enough for you to jam on, even with a band (as long as the other guys aren't playing half stacks). It's got an XLR out, too, which is good for going into a PA or recording. I have one of these, and it's the amp I take when I'm going somewhere to jam.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

tarlibone posted:

Fender Rumble 100.

Seconded, but depending on what you want it for, you might want to go bigger or smaller than the 100. It's a pretty wide consensus that v3 Rumbles are all-around excellent amps that sound killer at great price. I had a 100 and found it to be a little underpowered for jamming or rehearsing heavier/louder music, and a little overpowered for bedroom playing. Playing punk songs with an unamplified drummer going full out and a guitarist playing loud enough to keep up with the drums, I would have to DIME the 100 to hear myself, and even then not quite as much as I wanted to. And when I say dimed I mean literally the loudest it could make it go. Max volume, max gain. EQ's all at max, vintage AND bright switches engaged because together they have the net effect of boosting most of the frequencies and making it just that much louder. Lack of power aside, it sounded FANTASTIC, even maxed out like that. But at home it was kind of hard to dial in the volume when keeping it at bedroom levels, it sort of toggled between extremely quiet and too loud. Ultimately I ended up upgrading to the 500, which if anything is overpowerered for the jam/rehearsal situation I described (gain at like 10 o'clock and and master volume at 8-8:30 is plenty).

So if you want it for bedroom playing, I'd think the Rumble 40 would be plenty for that. If you want it jamming/rehearsing/small gigs in a more moderate musical style, the 100 is probably great. With the 500 if you're wondering if it's loud enough for any realistic need you have in mind, I promise it is. I've never played it with an extension cab, which means I have only ever heard 350 of its 500 watts, and that is still just so insanely loud. I've never played the 200, but I bet it's pretty loud too. From the 40 on up they all have XLR outs that you can run to a PA for a larger gig.

The good news is they seem pretty easy to find used and used ones seem to hold value pretty well, so you're not likely to get stuck with one if you don't like it. I got an open box Rumble 100 off zzounds for $225 shipped, used it for over a year and put it on Craigslist for $200, which someone snapped up the same day I posted it. Probably could have gotten the full $225 back, but in any case it ended up costing me like $2 a month to have that amp for as long as I wanted it which seems like a good deal to me. I put the money toward my used 500 which was like $400+tax, and I bet if I wanted to I could get about that much for it on craigslist or ebay or something.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
Rumble 100 v3 didn't go loud enough for me without getting all blurry. The baked-in tone is vintage Fender-y, i.e. mid-scooped - it's not easy to get 500Hz back using the EQ dials. And I didn't get on with the line out level being linked to the master volume :shrug:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've been pleasantly surprised by Hartke amps in the past, and they can probably be had for dirt cheap used.

Rumbles are crap in my experience. The speakers are decent, but the amps are garbage. I can remember diming every single control on one before and still not cutting through.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Borrowed my band's bassist's Darkglass Alpha-Omega at practice tonight as I'm filling in for him for an upcoming gig. Declined taking it home and left it at the rehearsal space because otherwise I'm going to end up buying one (or just stealing this one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

I've been pleasantly surprised by Hartke amps in the past, and they can probably be had for dirt cheap used.

Rumbles are crap in my experience. The speakers are decent, but the amps are garbage. I can remember diming every single control on one before and still not cutting through.

I've had the same Harkte Kickback for nearly 15 years now. (jesus I'm getting old)