Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Does that have the magneto-ride suspension standard? Either way, incredible machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Man, a car like that, 77 miles would make me so nervous.

I agree. Test drives :(

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Every time I've test driven a relatively fast or sporty car, the salesperson has beaten the piss out of it before handing it over. Almost always on a dead cold engine that has been sitting for days. I can't imagine what they encourage most people to do. They also seem to think the only way to move it around the lot is to slip the clutch at 4K or higher. Don't even want to think about how much of that goes on for however long they have it and have to move it around before selling it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

That's why I don't sweat break-in periods much.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Chrysotile posted:

So I previously had driven a Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged, and while it was plenty fun to drive, it was getting a bit long in the tooth and I was itching for a change. Enter...

No, wait. That was just the strange Ford CMax I rented to make the trip to the dealer.

There it is! 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

This car kicks all kinds of rear end. Gobs of power in any gear. A blast to drive. Bought it with 77 miles on it. Wonder how many of those were burn-outs by the porters at the dealer? Can't wait to get past the break-in period and head to the track!

Nice upgrade! One day I will get rid of my SS/SC for something better.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

opengl128 posted:

Every time I've test driven a relatively fast or sporty car, the salesperson has beaten the piss out of it before handing it over. Almost always on a dead cold engine that has been sitting for days. I can't imagine what they encourage most people to do. They also seem to think the only way to move it around the lot is to slip the clutch at 4K or higher. Don't even want to think about how much of that goes on for however long they have it and have to move it around before selling it.

It's kinda controversial, but the 'new' break-in procedure for modern performance engines is to run them hard and let them cool down afterwards. That ZL1 is sick though. I want one!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Devyl posted:

It's kinda controversial, but the 'new' break-in procedure for modern performance engines is to run them hard and let them cool down afterwards. That ZL1 is sick though. I want one!

There's a difference between breaking it in hard, and beating the crap out of a cold engine and burning the clutch up in a parking lot.

Chrysotile
Jun 25, 2005
Mesothelioma is your friend!
I'm not sure how it got the miles on it, and frankly I'd rather not know. One of the garage guys offered to hook it up to the programmer to read off the max speeds and engine RPM lifetime, but I told him I'd rather not know. I'm more worried about seating the brakes for the break-in, I'm sure the engine will be fine.

Bonus wife car shot:

Grabbed this one last year. 2009 CTS-V. Walked in thinking we were getting an SRX. Wife liked it because it was red. Told her they had other red ones on the lot too, but she liked the way this one sounded when it started up. Now she's convinced she could beat me in a race. I'm honestly not sure.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Chrysotile posted:

This car kicks all kinds of rear end. Gobs of power in any gear. A blast to drive. Bought it with 77 miles on it. Wonder how many of those were burn-outs by the porters at the dealer? Can't wait to get past the break-in period and head to the track!

Nice looking Camaro! Its certainly the one to get. How's the interior? Those ones have the Alcantara everywhere right?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Chrysotile posted:

I'm not sure how it got the miles on it, and frankly I'd rather not know. One of the garage guys offered to hook it up to the programmer to read off the max speeds and engine RPM lifetime, but I told him I'd rather not know. I'm more worried about seating the brakes for the break-in, I'm sure the engine will be fine.

Bonus wife car shot:

Grabbed this one last year. 2009 CTS-V. Walked in thinking we were getting an SRX. Wife liked it because it was red. Told her they had other red ones on the lot too, but she liked the way this one sounded when it started up. Now she's convinced she could beat me in a race. I'm honestly not sure.

drat, two LSA's. Your wife must be into cars, right? Not many would pay 2x the price of the normal car just because it's red.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

front wing flexing posted:

What's your beef what the Yaris?

:shrug: I just always saw it as another bland Toyota grocery getter. Detractor maybe wasn't the right word...maybe I should say I never cared for or about the Yaris but his looks pretty drat fun.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Voltage posted:

Does that have the magneto-ride suspension standard? Either way, incredible machine.

All ZL1s have it.

Chrysotile
Jun 25, 2005

Larrymer posted:

drat, two LSA's. Your wife must be into cars, right? Not many would pay 2x the price of the normal car just because it's red.

Haha yeah, we tell people that she picked it because it was red, but she's really into cars. The color was just icing on the cake for her. She wanted something luxurious but also sporty. The V fit both. Tried to talk her into a wagon, but she liked the lines of the sedan better. It was certified pre-owned so it didn't sting nearly as much as a new one would. We only spent a few thousand more than the new SRXs we were originally after.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

opengl128 posted:

I bought my G8 GXP 6-speed with almost 300 miles on it. It was fine. Modern cars can take the abuse.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Larrymer posted:

You haven't met many women have you?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chrysotile posted:

So I previously had driven a Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged, and while it was plenty fun to drive, it was getting a bit long in the tooth and I was itching for a change. Enter...

No, wait. That was just the strange Ford CMax I rented to make the trip to the dealer.

There it is! 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

I often complain about Camaros because they're kind of a weird "why get this one out of the three" being bigger and slower than the Mustang, and not as roomy and smooth as the Challenger, but then I saw it was a ZL1 and drooled. Great upgrade.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Darko posted:

I often complain about Camaros because they're kind of a weird "why get this one out of the three" being bigger and slower than the Mustang, and not as roomy and smooth as the Challenger, but then I saw it was a ZL1 and drooled. Great upgrade.

Careful with the generalizations. 1LE Camaros whomp on Coyote Mustangs, and SRT 392s are very quick. ZL1 is definitely at the front of the pack of all (stock) pony cars on a track, GT500s included.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Tremek posted:

Careful with the generalizations. 1LE Camaros whomp on Coyote Mustangs, and SRT 392s are very quick. ZL1 is definitely at the front of the pack of all (stock) pony cars on a track, GT500s included.

I was only talking about the current 2011+ generation Pony/muscle in their relative comparative classes (V6, base V8, V8+).

I don't -dislike- any on their own merits, but the ZL1 does make me shut up about the current Camaro's comparison factors since it is awesome for its class (and the 1LE as compared to the Boss).

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 1, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Devyl posted:

This opinion gets repeated on m3forum as well, and the guys who "run it in hard" are always the ones complaining about oil consumption and have numbers on the bottom end of the dyno DB. I can see why waiting gets the better of some of them since it's a 1200 mile procedure, but the rewards of patience are documented, at least on that engine.

exempt
Dec 10, 2006
If I had 70 grand in my pocket and had to buy a pony car id have a roush stage three. Factory warranty, killer suspension (1.02g), and anywhere from 575 to 700 horsepower.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

exempt posted:

If I had 70 grand in my pocket and had to buy a pony car id have a roush stage three. Factory warranty, killer suspension (1.02g), and anywhere from 575 to 700 horsepower.

70G would also buy you a Z51 2014 Corvette. 1.1G on the skid.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
What's so great about G-forces?

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Is the new LS7 Z/28 out yet? Wouldn't that be more track suited than a 1le? That said I bought my G8 GT new with 67 miles. I also was worried if those were 67 hard miles. So I followed the break in procedures and never get on the motor when its cold and I have been rewarded with reliability for the past 47k miles.

If you need more info on the engine they make a scanning gauge called the aeroforce interceptor. I run one in my change cubby with a custom bracket and it routes to the obdii port. It reads lots of measurements. I leave mine on oil pressure and trans temp. The G8's dash is rather lacking.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

b0nes posted:

What's so great about G-forces?

It's a form of bench racing, but it means that you've got more traction while turning, which means higher cornering speeds.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Rainy Days by emotiveMedia, on Flickr

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Since I like the look of that I'm just going to pretend that you ratchet the suspension back up when you drive it.

radikewlism
Jan 4, 2007

Das Volk posted:

This opinion gets repeated on m3forum as well, and the guys who "run it in hard" are always the ones complaining about oil consumption and have numbers on the bottom end of the dyno DB. I can see why waiting gets the better of some of them since it's a 1200 mile procedure, but the rewards of patience are documented, at least on that engine.

My friend works at a german dealership, and the owner towes the higher end sports cars off the lot with 0 miles to the track and goes HAM. Then brings them back, puts new brakes on them and sells them off the lot.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Das Volk posted:

Since I like the look of that I'm just going to pretend that you ratchet the suspension back up when you drive it.

Nope. Plenty of ground clearance, just stiff. Only thing I need to avoid are big speed bumps.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mentioned before but I bought a 2013 Volt several weeks ago. It has all the options except the front parking sensors, lane departure system and intelligent cruise control.

I got an offer I couldn't refuse on it ($29000 after tax rebate) and got $14000 for my 2 year old Cruze. I absolutely love the electric blue color.

The Volt is perfect for me as most of my driving is urban/suburban and I rarely drive more than 60 miles a day. Running on electricity from the grid costs about 25% of what gasoline costs.

It handles and rides just like my Cruze, but with better steering feel and throttle response. It's also eerily quiet. Interior wise, it has the same amount of legroom, maybe an inch or so less headroom than the Cruze. Build quality and materials quality surprised me as well.

So far my only gripes have been around having to do software updates. They can push 'non-critical' patches through Onstar, but some you have to go into the dealer to get. The patches have improved voice recognition response and corrected some weird glitches with iPod integration and the navigation system.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 4, 2013

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
The Volt is a really sharp car and I feel like the styling is right on, I'm interested to see how it will hold up in the long run (not saying it won't, it's just a massive departure for GM to build a car like that). Does it have pretty good oomph for a hybrid?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

The Volt is a really sharp car and I feel like the styling is right on, I'm interested to see how it will hold up in the long run (not saying it won't, it's just a massive departure for GM to build a car like that). Does it have pretty good oomph for a hybrid?

It's got tons of torque, immediately and wherever you ask for it. I'd put it on par with my Cruze Eco manual quantitatively, but it's way more responsive feeling.

GM is ultra-focused on the reliability of this car and the customer experience. Each Volt gets 5 years of full service Onstar and each owner (new or used) gets their own dedicated 'adviser' that checks in periodically. There is also a bank of advisers available 24/7 just for Volts to answer any questions about the car, schedule any service or repairs, and serve as a liason between the service staff and the engineers if repairs are needed.

For example, I was having major problems with the voice recognition. I would give the command 'Shuffle On' to shuffle songs on my iPod, and it would increase the volume of the warning chimes instead. I would give a local address and it would try route me to a random address in Nebraska, Quebec, or California. I wasn't going to complain as the touchscreen interface works really well, and is just as easy to use. In addition, it was really slow to change tracks on my iPod.

I got a random call from my Volt Adviser checking in on things last week and I mentioned the problems to her. She was able to push a software patch to correct the iPod problem immediately -- it was waiting for me the next morning when I started it up. All I had to do was keep the car on until it finished (which was conveniently about the length of my morning commute). With the navigation issues, she scheduled an appointment for me to take the car in during lunch last week. The technician and Volt Adviser looked for other patches that I might need, and I was out of there in under an hour.

It's been a fascinating experience so far...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, I hate going to dealerships so much. I couldn't stand doing it for a warranty software patch, though inevitably I'm sure I'll end up there if I ever buy a new car or even one that is still within the valid-recall period instead of the gently caress-you-fix-it-yourself-without-parts period.

You'd think they could push every patch out through OnStar or at least have a guy come meet you at your place of business and plug it into a GM version of the Accessport.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

edit: whoops, wrong thread. I'll take to misc.

What's the blue car in the background behind the detective?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txoCOebILZk&t=78s
Warning, fairly hokey police training video stabbing.

It looks a 4 door DeTomaso Longchamp.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 4, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This thing? Looks domestic to me.. maybe a 70s Mopar although the blue would be way off.

e: Mirrors look sort of Ford-y. I want to say Comet or Fairlane but the character lines aren't working, especially if that glint in the rear is chrome.

ee: Can't be a late 60s Fairlane, rear door doesn't come back into the wheel well far enough, roof's too tall and there's a huge trim line at the bottom.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 4, 2013

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Bought a 2013 Civic Si three weeks ago, I am loving every minute of it. After weeks of research and a few test drives, I couldn't be happier. I think the sedan looks way better than the coupe. I haven't seen another '13 Si out in the wild yet, just a bunch of EX/LX/Hybrids.

lathode posted:

New ride, 2013 Civic Si.

Dyno Blue is the best color.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think there's a theme developing here... My family should probably start to get worried...

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This thing? Looks domestic to me.. maybe a 70s Mopar although the blue would be way off.

e: Mirrors look sort of Ford-y. I want to say Comet or Fairlane but the character lines aren't working, especially if that glint in the rear is chrome.

ee: Can't be a late 60s Fairlane, rear door doesn't come back into the wheel well far enough, roof's too tall and there's a huge trim line at the bottom.

late 70s X-body Nova

Chrysotile
Jun 25, 2005
The volt is a really neat car. I'm glad to hear the general is putting in a lot of effort to keeping its owners happy and supporting the platform.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

DoLittle posted:

I think there's a theme developing here... My family should probably start to get worried...

Having now owned an Alfa, I agree. However, I'm amazed to say that Top Gear is right: When Alfas do work, it is such a good feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

DoLittle posted:

Or at least get some fire insurance.