Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

please call one simply "hen"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Name one Dr Clucksworth, Ph.D. She worked hard for that degree!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Name one of them "Fannie." :3

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I have -zero- willpower and my family are all Morehens Disease enablers.

PEEP PEEP PEEP!

2 Light Brahmas (the big white chicks), the one without the green spot on her back is named 'Chonk'.
1 Langshan (big gray chick)
1 Bantam (dark chick, Cochin?), named 'Henry'
1 Bantam (tiny, smooth leg dark chick, Old English or Dutch?) the kid named her 'Bacon'.

Hopefully I chose wisely and all are hens...and yes, we'll still be doing our annual Chickam hatch on Easter weekend in April. Also, this small tub is temporary until I can whack together a proper Club Flamingo in a day or so.

Hey Goons, please help us name the new kids! :imunfunny:

Yay, more chickens!

Names: Toodles or Doodles

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

name one Cull for the quality of so many of our local TSC chicks.

seriously holy gently caress half of them come in dying

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I think there are more names than chicks at this point but I have to offer up Rex

Mine are doing well, the days are getting a bit longer and they're spending more time out of the coop. 8 months and 4 weeks old - and still only one layer among the three hens. I always read that they would start laying in the winter if it was their first year but that does not seem to be totally true.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I'm going to order 9 or so fancy birds this year and then 100 for meat. :gibs:

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I approve. :colbert:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

avshalemon posted:

please call one simply "hen"

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/axeskl/didnt_realize_chickens_had_such_great_balance/

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

That's Through The Fire and Flames by Dragonforce.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

the quail love the butcherbird, they trust the butcherbird, when the butcherbird lands on their cage they all gather around to tilt their heads at it and bibbit companionably :unsmith:

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

they just don't understand anything

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
They have accepted that they are quail and are basically dead already.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chickens 'teamed up to kill fox' at Brittany farming school

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/12/chickens-teamed-up-to-kill-fox-at-brittany-farming-school

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Guess they must've figured out that Fox had ~worms~. :birddrugs:

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Ah yes, the chickens are unionizing. Even the birds know that we are stronger together.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Riddle me this, chook-folk.

You is a bird. You have escaped your containment, through likely impressive means, and have the run of the yard. It is dark, and raining.

You require shelter. Do you:
  1. Huddle under some of the many suitable shelter providing plants and trees?
  2. Huddle under the back deck, which you know to be large, filled with broad leaved plants, and dry.
  3. Enter the open garage, which is perfectly dry and immediately adjacent to the deck.
  4. Ascend the deck stairs to enter the open house and take refuge in one of the open bedrooms warm sheets, as you have often done at every oppertunity you can in order to lay eggs when no one is watching.
  5. Sit on the deck stairs under the open sky and get rained on, potentially for hours, until someone comes to fix things for you.

Please cast your vote before peeking.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

The ladies have decided it is finally warm and bright enough to both A, leave the coop, and B, lay some eggs!

Good work ladies.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

McGiggins posted:

Riddle me this, chook-folk.

You is a bird. You have escaped your containment, through likely impressive means, and have the run of the yard. It is dark, and raining.

You require shelter. Do you:
  1. Huddle under some of the many suitable shelter providing plants and trees?
  2. Huddle under the back deck, which you know to be large, filled with broad leaved plants, and dry.
  3. Enter the open garage, which is perfectly dry and immediately adjacent to the deck.
  4. Ascend the deck stairs to enter the open house and take refuge in one of the open bedrooms warm sheets, as you have often done at every oppertunity you can in order to lay eggs when no one is watching.
  5. Sit on the deck stairs under the open sky and get rained on, potentially for hours, until someone comes to fix things for you.

Yeah that is the answer I expected.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
So warm outside today, but I'm still scared to let my chooks out to free-range a bit. The last two times I did that they were attacked by a hawk in less than 5 minutes after I let them out. I know they love poking around outdoors but I think they also enjoy not being ripped to shreds by beaks and talons :\ I think I'm just going to look into building a nice big run for them this spring.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'm really lucky we have crows around here, they seem to do a good job keeping hawks away.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Shifty Nipples posted:

Yeah that is the answer I expected.

I didn't even have to read the answers, my sisters chicken did the exact same thing

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

McGiggins posted:

Oh that chicken is *SO* disappointed in you.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

I didn't even have to read the answers, my sisters chicken did the exact same thing

Yeah one of mine somehow got the coop door closed on them before they got inside so I found her on the porch in the rain when I went out to close them up for the night.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Our dear old Hendini won't come out of the coop. She's just standing upright and motionless. She's alert and her eyes are open, but she's refusing to eat: refusing even kale and dried mealworms. :ohdear:

e: yeah, she's giving off the imminent-departure signals. Farewell, fluffy hen.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 17, 2019

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

The ladies have decided it is finally warm and bright enough to both A, leave the coop, and B, lay some eggs!

Good work ladies.

Enough of the ice sheet has melted that mine are starting to come out of the coop and rummage around in the dirt! No eggs yet, though.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ToxicFrog posted:

Enough of the ice sheet has melted that mine are starting to come out of the coop and rummage around in the dirt! No eggs yet, though.

We've had dry weather the last week but with stupidly high winds, so the hens have been grumpy. Today, sunshine and a breeze, proper Spring day and all chickens are sunbathing down the bottom of the garden (inbetween mooching at the kitchen door for treats).

fake edit

https://twitter.com/Dalton_Reed02/status/1099021309290430469

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 17, 2019

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

We keep being hit by hail storms, but the chickens have decided they seriously love eating hail pellets. I looked outside during one to make sure they were ok and weren't stuck outside, but the little idiots all ran *out* from shelter so they could eat hail while also shaking themselves from being pelted by the sky. Eventually they ran under cover but as soon as it lightened up, they sprinted out to gobble up little ice balls.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Today I learned that while my quails will go down a ramp in the name of exploration, they will forget how ramps work and never go up again even if that way lies food.

I had to move the food to the bottom of the ramp.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I followed this thread off and on for a bit and had a couple of questions about getting into backyard chickens. My wife and I finally have our own home and chickens were one thing we were excited about potentially having. We live on 1 acre but about 2/3 of it are forested and need to stay that way due to proximity to a river / wetland conservation area. So the backyard (where they would ideally reside) is going to be running into a half acre of woods that extends to a river. Farmland is on the other side of the river.

We live in a pretty rural neighborhood in Rhode Island. Neighboring houses are close enough that I don't want to let the chickens free range out front and into neighboring yards / gardens. I was thinking of putting together a chicken tractor and am reading up on that. Right now we just want to have enough to supply eggs for ourselves. We're big on pets so we are probably the sort that would keep them around even after they stopped laying and not just eat them. From reading the thread I am guessing about 3 hens for us?

I am looking for some general stuff to read on getting started with chickens and a good recommendation for plans for a chicken tractor that would nicely accommodate 3/4 hens. Given the proximity to the woods and turkeys, owls, hawks, coyotes around here I'd like it to be strong enough to resist that and something that will be suitable for cold weather next year. I've got a woodshop and am happy to build up one from lumber and parts. Also wouldn't mind breed recs. I am leaning towards Rhode Island Reds because well... its the state bird and all, but not totally committed to that either.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I did the chicken tractor thing and you need to know that your lawn needs to be very, very flat and level and it can be a huge hassle to move it around. So mine hasn't moved in a long long time. You might want to consider just building a larger coop with a big run.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
RIR chickens are great. I had two growing up and they were huge, sturdy, placid birds and i wish i could find more of them in my country.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

A coworker is offering to provide me with a dozen mixed fertilized chicken eggs. I'm totally taking her up on it -- she's got some of about every breed I like, including silkies, Wyandottes, Rhode Island reds, barred rocks, and Americaunas. I'd get the eggs in mid April so I have time to educate myself and prepare!

What incubators do you guys recommend? I'd prefer something with automated turning.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mozi posted:

I did the chicken tractor thing and you need to know that your lawn needs to be very, very flat and level and it can be a huge hassle to move it around. So mine hasn't moved in a long long time. You might want to consider just building a larger coop with a big run.

Yeah I'd rather a large coop. We live in a pretty sparsely populated neighborhood, big lawns, good tree / shrub blocks between properties but I don't know how bad our neighbors are yet about rules lawyering etc. We won't have roosters so sound isn't gonna be a big deal, but our local laws state that we have to have coops 100' away from our well head (rules out most of the backyard) and 25' minimum distance from a "living area" which rules out most of the side and front yards. I figure with a tractor at least I can keep it away from the wellhead and if it goes into the 25' minimum distance it's only staying there for a day or two at a time as I park it around.

If after a year of owning them and none of the neighbors have issues I'll probably build a more permanent coop and run up near the back of the house that's within the minimum distance from the well. I am not overly concerned about well issues as ours is over 90' deep and we're looking at like 3-4 hens max.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Also I'm absolutely going to have Chickam 2.0 happening. Velvet Sparrow will have some company! :kimchi:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mozi posted:

That is very good to know. I'm indefinitely planning a chicken coop myself, and my mother-in-law loves suggesting the chicken tractor thing. But our yard is very very much not level.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

my cat is norris posted:

Also I'm absolutely going to have Chickam 2.0 happening. Velvet Sparrow will have some company! :kimchi:

Finally some good news for 2019.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

A coworker is offering to provide me with a dozen mixed fertilized chicken eggs. I'm totally taking her up on it -- she's got some of about every breed I like, including silkies, Wyandottes, Rhode Island reds, barred rocks, and Americaunas. I'd get the eggs in mid April so I have time to educate myself and prepare!

What incubators do you guys recommend? I'd prefer something with automated turning.

If you want some more, just pm me your address and I'll ship in some weird poo poo. Speckled sussex, swedish flower hens, frizzles, polish, shitloads of easter eggers, and some fun wyandottes (columbian, gold laced).

https://www.amazon.com/Incubator-Au...A4NX4ATBJ2RGHE2 I've seen a lot of like on these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you want some more, just pm me your address and I'll ship in some weird poo poo. Speckled sussex, swedish flower hens, frizzles, polish, shitloads of easter eggers, and some fun wyandottes (columbian, gold laced).

https://www.amazon.com/Incubator-Au...A4NX4ATBJ2RGHE2 I've seen a lot of like on these

Thank you thank you thank you!! That's so incredibly sweet and generous, I'll almost definitely take you up on that. Going to be researching and getting things ready for the next month, then start the hatching.