Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Outpost22 posted:

Is that where that one goon's avatar comes from?

twin snakes lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

twin snakes lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

QuarkJets posted:

twin snakes lol

lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Semi solid snake

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

twin snakes lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good racing games have guns on the cars or let you otherwise use weapons and items while ideally not even racing. Vigilante 8 Second Offense remains the good non-kart car game.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Khanstant posted:

Good racing games have guns on the cars or let you otherwise use weapons and items while ideally not even racing. Vigilante 8 Second Offense remains the good non-kart car game.
ACC + Power-ups would be fun.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
If you made Gran Tourismo for guns and then added it to a Gran Tourismo game some people would never do anything else again. And that's almost certainly a good thing.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Games where you race cool hovercrafts, pod racers, anti gravity motorcycles, or magical go-karts that fire turtle shells while going through half-pipes, loop de loops, and jumping over bottomless pits, all while power sliding and never letting go of the accelerator, will always be superior to games where you drive some dumb European vanity car around in a circle on some flat asphalt. If I wanted to responsibly drive on pavement I’d just go to work in the morning.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
That's a tough one because Wipeout is indeed the best racing series and it has weapons but it's not the best racing series because of the weapons.

QuarkJets posted:

and uh i forget how the rest goes
A 30 minute codec conversation where they throw out the entire plot and replace it with a new one that is completely off the rails.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My pitch is Wave Racer with sea turtle shells, corexit shrimps, exxon slicks, and a cloak of crows that dives underwater and teleports under another waver in a torrent of hellfire.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
MGS2 is my favorite game of all time. It just masterfully hosed with everyone on every conceivable level and was still an extremely polished game with a compelling and thought provoking narrative.

For my unpopular opinion, I think that Peace Walker and TPP are complete phoned in crap.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Metal gear solid 2 sucks poo poo, Kojima doesn't deserve praise for being out there and being anti fan or avant garde, he needed told "no hideo, just do the thing you are good at that people love".

He must have listened because snake eater is the high point of the series

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I played MGS2 when like MGS4 was being made so I had none of that "hosed with" feeling. It was just a good MGS game about being an MGS game.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Khanstant posted:

I played MGS2 when like MGS4 was being made so I had none of that "hosed with" feeling. It was just a good MGS game about being an MGS game.

I played 2 well after 4 came out and somehow never got spoiled on anything or even knew Raiden existed despite having internet access, so the whole game was kinda mind blowing for teenage me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In MGS2 you can get peed on

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Khanstant posted:

I'll never understand those pure racing games like Forza and Gran Turismo. The Burnout series is fun because the whole point is to make the other cars crash

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That reminds me of playing interstate 76 for the first time and I couldn't believe how fuckin cool a racing(?) game could be

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Actually that happened with death rally too, but sort of a different animal

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I remember being 12 and watching the end cutscene of MGS2, not knowing really wtf he was talking about and having to piss so insanely bad and you couldn't pause it and it was like 20 miutes long. My brother got me a Raiden action figure before I played the game and I was like "Wtf who is this guy?" and he was like "ehhh don't worry about it yet." I played that game like five times and got all of the dogtags, games are awesome when you're 12.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Gran Turismo and wipeout are both fun

For those who ~~don't understand~~, getting a faster time around the track is the good part whether you are in a car or a hovercraft

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

galagazombie posted:

Games where you race cool hovercrafts, pod racers, anti gravity motorcycles, or magical go-karts that fire turtle shells while going through half-pipes, loop de loops, and jumping over bottomless pits, all while power sliding and never letting go of the accelerator, will always be superior to games where you drive some dumb European vanity car around in a circle on some flat asphalt. If I wanted to responsibly drive on pavement I’d just go to work in the morning.

Star Wars Pod Racer is the 2nd best Star Wars game, behind TIE Fighter

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

emSparkly posted:

MGS2 is my favorite game of all time. It just masterfully hosed with everyone on every conceivable level and was still an extremely polished game with a compelling and thought provoking narrative.

For my unpopular opinion, I think that Peace Walker and TPP are complete phoned in crap.

OK this one takes place during the cold war again, so the badguy will be named, uhhh... Hot Coldman. He's upset since he got demoted at work.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

emSparkly posted:

I was so excited when Peace Walker came to PS3, and it just wasn't good at all.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

QuarkJets posted:

In MGS2 you can get peed on

Can confirm.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

MGS 2 in general has so much cool stuff in it. So many people wanted an awesome cool guy snake game and he didn't want to make that and instead made a totally unhinged game that pissed tons of people off.

Kojima is a weirdo who desperately wants to be an auteur. So he packs his games full of distinctive, meta, and often meaningless elements that are still neat when you know about them. And he packs his stories the same way and they're godawful because he has absolutely no talent there which is why we get superlong exposition dumps, lovely attempts to pretend whatever bizarre thing he included is "realistic", and philosophy by the guy who got really stoned before going to the introductory course but thinks he got the gist of it. Kojima the game designer is cool, Kojima the writer and wannabe film director is awful, and unfortunately he thinks that it's the other way around.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kojima is Japanese for "he who smells his own farts"

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Policenauts was cool.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Caesar Saladin posted:

sewer levels are so funny. everyone hates them, the devs know that, but they're like "I'm gonna be the one, I'm gonna make the fun one that everybody likes." and you just end up raising and lowering water levels in monotonous dark green hallways like the rest and it sucks

I like some sewer areas, like the one in Resident Evil 2, because I like going to grungy, industrial infrastructure that I can't get into or am too chicken to go into in real-life.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Disco Pope posted:

I like some sewer areas, like the one in Resident Evil 2, because I like going to grungy, industrial infrastructure that I can't get into or am too chicken to go into in real-life.

Easy solution, just get a pair of glasses and tap a small strip of paper that says "health 100% " to them at the bottom. Then you can go into what ever grungy industrial infrastructure you want just like you do in video games!

Plus while you do, you'll always be feeling really healthy!!!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I used to chill in Gran Turismo 3, just driving and listening to music with whatever buzz I happened to have going. Did it in San Andreas too when I was feeling motorcycles instead.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like desert levels when they are bright and sunny. Dunno if that is unpopular

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Khanstant posted:

IDK why the lead switch didn't bother me that much (except for his goofy cartwheel dive) but I felt more hosed-with when they basically did a complete 180 on his character.

"Oh no, people think Raiden, our rookie Snake wannabe, is kind of lame, what should we do? Let's reinvent him as THE EDGIEST CHARACTER EVER, with CYBORG SKUL FACE."

It's the second-most bizarre character overhaul behind Jak.

Random Stranger posted:

Kojima is a weirdo who desperately wants to be an auteur. So he packs his games full of distinctive, meta, and often meaningless elements that are still neat when you know about them. And he packs his stories the same way and they're godawful because he has absolutely no talent there which is why we get superlong exposition dumps, lovely attempts to pretend whatever bizarre thing he included is "realistic", and philosophy by the guy who got really stoned before going to the introductory course but thinks he got the gist of it. Kojima the game designer is cool, Kojima the writer and wannabe film director is awful, and unfortunately he thinks that it's the other way around.
The worst thing is how much the games feel like they're attempts at social commentary but then spends all of its time focusing on weirdly specific stoner philosophy things and Big Boss's DNA.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 15, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He should definitely be a little edgy and hosed up after what happened to him, but he made Ocelot not possessing a dude through his arm seem positively mundane with how much of a flip switch he takes.
If that game wasn't so fun and silly, it would bother me more but instead I'll fight the president.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Random Stranger posted:

counterpoint he's really silly and ridiculous on purpose. he made a game where you're a mailman and you throw bottles of your poo poo and piss at the bad guys. and conan o'brien is in it

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Kojima narratives are all so full of ridiculous crap but it’s all presented in such an intense and compelling way that I’m always along with it every step of the way.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Metal gear solid 2 sucks poo poo, Kojima doesn't deserve praise for being out there and being anti fan or avant garde, he needed told "no hideo, just do the thing you are good at that people love".

He must have listened because snake eater is the high point of the series

watching my friends in high school lose their loving minds about MGS2 was hilarious, and it was a good game

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

OneEightHundred posted:

It's the second-most bizarre character overhaul behind Jak.

Ok I’m glad you mentioned this. I was 6 when I played Jak and Daxter. Loved it to pieces. I got Jak II a couple years later and god drat was it jarring.

Although, sticking with the game Jak gets way less growly and angsty after the first 30 minutes of the game and it mellows out into a slightly gritty action comedy.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

galagazombie posted:

assetto corsa nurburgring hotlaps in an R34 GTR while you got some super eurobeat playing is pretty much the best OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

numberoneposter posted:

assetto corsa nurburgring hotlaps in an R34 GTR while you got some super eurobeat playing is pretty much the best OP

AC Nurburgring, hotlap, Lotus 98T with boost at 100%

:sigh: I need to get a new wheel all the belts in my old PS2 Logitech Driving Force have been shot for a couple years