Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hideo Kojima is the greatest video game auteur to date.

A good and proper snipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

MrQwerty posted:

AC Nurburgring, hotlap, Lotus 98T with boost at 100%

:sigh: I need to get a new wheel all the belts in my old PS2 Logitech Driving Force have been shot for a couple years
AMS2 is also fun to load up a full field of 80's german touring cars and bomb around silverstone or something, but i find the tire model kinda strange, like it gives you really nice feedback but the slip angle seems just too exaggerated or something

they have done a lot of work on the AI in AMS2 and its quite interesting, when its good its good, you will get aggressive passes by the other cars and you will have to actually be cleaver to get around them, its not perfect but its pretty cool

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Once again goons showing they can't have fun with anything. Yes, if Kojima had an actual editor his games would be twice as good. But why criticize the philosophy poo poo?

People act like philosophy always has to be profound, sharp, and innovative. gently caress that, you're supposed to have fun with it and Kojima 100% is. Just because when you were a freshman you made it everyone else's problem in your philosophy class doesn't mean that's what he's doing.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

there will never be anything philosophical about a video game

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

there will never be anything philosophical about a video game
Excuse me but we are now in the era of games being sophisticated by sometimes pointing out that you're killing a lot of people and not caring about it very much.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

Excuse me but we are now in the era of games being sophisticated by sometimes pointing out that you're killing a lot of people and not caring about it very much.

I'll take that over a game with the pitch "throw bottles of poo poo at people and also conan o'brien is around here somewhere"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I'll take that over a game with the pitch "throw bottles of poo poo at people and also conan o'brien is around here somewhere"

but doesn't this necessarily insinuate that you can throw a bottle of poo poo at conan o-brien? i think this idea has legs. like a grotesque cross between hitman and where's waldo and the objective is to locate him and soak him in feces

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Pitching my new game where you throw bottles of piss and poo poo at Conan O’Brien while your character looks directly at the screen and asks if perhaps this says something about how we dehumanize the people we throw bottles of piss and poo poo at in real life.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
soma was p good

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Dont want any harvard people in my video games thanks.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
A video game location I don't like is a swirling void with a broken city in it and platforming. I don't like those.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Vampire Panties posted:

Star Wars Pod Racer is the 2nd best Star Wars game, behind TIE Fighter

Oh, have you never played dark forces?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Away all Goats posted:

I'll never understand those pure racing games like Forza and Gran Turismo. The Burnout series is fun because the whole point is to make the other cars crash

GT7 was the exception for me. I was never into the series much but it feels like an interactive car museum, with a ton of focus on the history of both the sport and the engineering, and it really wants you to love cars just as much as the devs do. It’s infectious.

Having all of that attached to a relatively realistic driving sim just feels like it makes sense.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Away all Goats posted:

I'll never understand those pure racing games like Forza and Gran Turismo. The Burnout series is fun because the whole point is to make the other cars crash

racing cars that you tune up is fun

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

ive tried mutliple motorcycle sims/games and i really couldn't get into any of them, the closest one that i kinda liked was called RiMS Racing lol, they just dont capture the feel of how a bike handles which to be fair would be really hard to do intuitively on a controller/wheel setup

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

the real problem with racing games is that the genre hit its peak with RC Pro Am all the way back in the 80s. You're never gonna clear that bar.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Didn't Kojima cite Gravity's Rainbow as one of his influences while working on MGS games? The pseudo philosophy in MGS is supposed to be ridiculous and entertaining.

I'd rather watch the genes/scenes/memes speech or anything in MGS4 than dumb thought experiments I've heard ad nauseum in much worse games pretending to be intellectual.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

ive tried mutliple motorcycle sims/games and i really couldn't get into any of them, the closest one that i kinda liked was called RiMS Racing lol, they just dont capture the feel of how a bike handles which to be fair would be really hard to do intuitively on a controller/wheel setup

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

George posted:

Once again goons showing they can't have fun with anything. Yes, if Kojima had an actual editor his games would be twice as good. But why criticize the philosophy poo poo?

People act like philosophy always has to be profound, sharp, and innovative. gently caress that, you're supposed to have fun with it and Kojima 100% is. Just because when you were a freshman you made it everyone else's problem in your philosophy class doesn't mean that's what he's doing.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

numberoneposter posted:

AMS2 is also fun to load up a full field of 80's german touring cars and bomb around silverstone or something, but i find the tire model kinda strange, like it gives you really nice feedback but the slip angle seems just too exaggerated or something

they have done a lot of work on the AI in AMS2 and its quite interesting, when its good its good, you will get aggressive passes by the other cars and you will have to actually be cleaver to get around them, its not perfect but its pretty cool

That 98T 100% hotlap at Nurburgring is such a beautiful experience, it's the only time I've ever been white-knuckled driving a fake car

WHEN IS THE TURBO GOING TO KICK I

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

clearly the exceptions hell yeah

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

MrQwerty posted:

That 98T 100% hotlap at Nurburgring is such a beautiful experience, it's the only time I've ever been white-knuckled driving a fake car

WHEN IS THE TURBO GOING TO KICK I
i am going to try this when i get home, i havnt dabbled in the downforce cars much, but the Ferrari F40 offers a similar turbo experience, oh you would like to work now, and also step out the rear and put me into the guard rail?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

numberoneposter posted:

i am going to try this when i get home, i havnt dabbled in the downforce cars much, but the Ferrari F40 offers a similar turbo experience, oh you would like to work now, and also step out the rear and put me into the guard rail?

it makes you realize why they ran it at 90% in qualifying, maybe 100% for a lap, then turned it down to 70% or lower for actual races, it's loving wild

gotta be thinking seconds ahead and about what the car is doing

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024
Remember in MGS4 when Meryl and the diarrhea man writhed around on each others grievously wounded bodies during a sexy gun battle?

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024

MrQwerty posted:

racing cars that you tune up is fun

Wrong, cruis'n usa is best game

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

SeenYourPoopypants posted:

Wrong, cruis'n usa is best game

actually that's SF Rush 2049

Remember in MGS4 when Meryl and the diarrhea man writhed around on each others grievously wounded bodies during a sexy gun battle?

lol mgs4 was such a mess that anyone who says mgs2 was bad has never played it

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It has been 16 years since the last Burnout game came out, and that was probably the worst entry in what had been an excellent series of racing games - and it was still better than most racing games. EA killed it and decided to make Need for Speed their focus, which has been mediocre at best and even the best of them is worse than the worst Burnout.

Similarly, it has been 13 years since the last Fight Night came out, which was loving awesome. Then they killed it and decided to make games where you punch each other a couple of times and then roll around on the floor doing an angry cuddle while you do a minigame.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Burnout 3 was the best arcade racing game ever made and idk why it was killed dead on arrival

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

lol mgs4 was such a mess that anyone who says mgs2 was bad has never played it

And yet it's still leagues better than the boring trashfire that was MGS5.

:laugh:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I hit a bug in Burnout 3 while playing it on xbox live where I somehow clipped through the geometry in a tunnel. I fell through the floor and teleported back up to the top of the tunnel and slammed down to underneath the road again and again and stupidly fast speeds.

Anyway, I was playing against a guy that was my boss at the time and he drove into my endlessly falling car-corpse which instakilled him and pushed me further along the track, so when he respawned he would instantly run into me and get killed. This continued until he pushed me over the finish line.

10/10, best game.

But seriously I've never met anyone IRL that played either Burnout or Fight Night games and doesn't fondly remember the series. It's not like they didn't sell well, I don't think. I remember Fight Night Round 3 being a pretty-much must-own as an early release on the 360 because it looked absolutely incredible compared to literally every video game released up to that point. I was working in a video game store when it came out and showing people that game running on an HDTV made loads of my customers go out and buy HDTVs. I know that the last one, Fight Night Champion, was the #1 selling video game for a while (in the UK at least).

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

I like the part right after subjecting you to the longest cutscene ever made, the final boss says "Show me what you've got, Snake!" to make you think you're finally going to get the controls back, but no it's actually a fake-out and you have to watch another (very goofy) 4 minutes of cutscene before you can play the game again.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Weirdly enough, l never thought anyone spent more than five seconds thinking about the philosophy and politics in MGS until today. It puts a lot of the criticism I've read in a new context. Imagine playing a game about a parody of Kurt Russell from Escape from New York and his many incontinent friends as they fight the illumanti, who keep building anime robots and hiring soldiers with names like Alpaca B-hole, and then taking notes about its subtext or whatever

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, absolutely about MGS's in-game lore is a very sweaty fever dream, it's probably to your benefit to block it all out unless you accidentally internalize something as real-life history.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Die Hardman lol

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Kojima is a weirdo who desperately wants to be an auteur. So he packs his games full of distinctive, meta, and often meaningless elements that are still neat when you know about them. And he packs his stories the same way and they're godawful because he has absolutely no talent there which is why we get superlong exposition dumps, lovely attempts to pretend whatever bizarre thing he included is "realistic", and philosophy by the guy who got really stoned before going to the introductory course but thinks he got the gist of it. Kojima the game designer is cool, Kojima the writer and wannabe film director is awful, and unfortunately he thinks that it's the other way around.

mgs games have some of the coolest gameplay around, god you sound so fuckin lame here, this entire rant is unbelievably lame

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

i do agree that it is probably impossible to represent what makes a motorcycle more fun than a car in a video game

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

I'll still throw the road rash 2 soundtrack on while on a road trip, poo poo slaps

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
these videos were extremely influential on a young MSPain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzKXAL5EL4o

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Goddamn it Snake, they blew up the military base we built on an offshore oil rig

Let's get revenge by building another military base on an offshore oil rig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Extra Large Marge posted:

Goddamn it Snake, they blew up the military base we built on an offshore oil rig

Let's get revenge by building another military base on an offshore oil rig

what about that is unrealistic