Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

rodbeard posted:

I don't listen to country but I'm surrounded by people that do and people definitely get salty about Taylor Swift every time she charts. I don't know enough about the other songs you've mentioned but Old Town Road somehow was number 1 on the country chart despite not being liked by any country fans.

that song I mentioned by Swift was on the Hot Country Billboard for ten weeks straight

cannot imagine why she's never been pulled off the billboards if people get salty every time she's up there, just a total enigma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So, uh, what actually defines Country? The musical style? The subjects of the lyrics? The only thing I can find is "it's a ballad that tends to use these instruments."

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Can somebody please explain what is going on for somebody who doesn't give a gently caress about country music?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Can somebody please explain what is going on for somebody who doesn't give a gently caress about country music?

Far as I can tell a black man wrote a country song but some white people are very angry that A) it was written by a black man and B) it's a bit too hippity-hoppity like THOSE URBANS like it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A black man doing country? Do people not know about Darius Rucker? He's been doing country for years and he's had multiple #1 songs on country charts.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

So, uh, what actually defines Country? The musical style? The subjects of the lyrics? The only thing I can find is "it's a ballad that tends to use these instruments."

Basically yeah, that's it. There is a bunch of sub genres, and it is all subject to the same type of clicky infighting that metal has.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

A black man doing country? Do people not know about Darius Rucker? He's been doing country for years and he's had multiple #1 songs on country charts.

Yes, but he's playing regular country that sounds like any white band's country. Not that (c)rap THOSE URBANS* listen to.

* I love this term, PurpleXVI and will be using it in my imitations of racist caricatures going forward.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PurpleXVI posted:

There are no definitive rules for what any genre is or contains because genre is vague and nebulous at the best of times. Pick any two genres that are close to each other and you'll find that there are a huge number of works that could go in one, the other, neither or both.

Essentially you find a number of works that seem similar and you give that group a name, then you identify the commonly shared characteristics of those works and add any others that fit that description. But it changes over time, because you'll find stuff that fits the definition but also introduces new elements, so you either broaden the definition or split it into two genres or sub-genres.

Trying to use it prescriptively is absurd. It can be a handy way to break down large numbers of things into smaller groups, but that's all. Anyone who tries to argue about what really counts as being part of a given genre doesn't understand what genre is. It's not about what is or isn't allowed, it's just a way to streamline communication. Rather than listing 50 songs you can just say "I like country music" and people will have a pretty good idea of the types of songs you might enjoy.

If you try to pin down exactly what the rules of the genre are then you'll run into endless exceptions and edge cases, but you know it when you see it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Here's the song I think people are complaining about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUcisIlT7sM

lol at the clip from Wild Wild West snuck in there. Anyway it sounds as country as anything. Gonna chalk this kurfluffle up to ol' fashioned racism.

e: To clarify, the racism is thinking that "rap" is a dirty genre of music and that it ruins other genres that it touches. So a country song with a black guy talking melodically is now country rap, a lesser, impure variety of country that should be disqualified from competing with the pure country songs.

Oh yeah and the people who hate it when a black guy says "you can't tell me nothing" are also the people most likely to self-identify as country music fans.

LawfulWaffle has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Jun 5, 2019

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/26334898832?s=20

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
HE SAYS: "Yeah, I like all music except for like rap and country and death metal. :)"

TRANSLATION: "I listen to the same bands I discovered in college 10 years, but I've recently added Imagine Dragons to my Apple Music playlist alongside Wilco and Death Cab for Cutie."

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

"Also, I have never heard a death metal song in my life but I have heard of the genre for some reason"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzJ8VQXUsEY

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I only listen to frog rock, which is like prog rock but all the instruments are various frog and toad croakings.

:frogout: is my favorite band.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Personally I only listen to death metal bands that use animals as vocalists

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PurpleXVI posted:

nowdays it's basically soft rock or pop rap but in a southern accent with a fiddle or slide guitar in the background as played on radio stations that define themselves as country music stations. it's lifestyle music for suburban white people who idolize rural living, like how jimmy buffet is lifestyle music for suburban white people who idolize getting drunk on a beach. country has very soft edges on the definition because it is more of a label than a genre definition

more authentic american country music is typically called like roots music or americana

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

luxury handset posted:

it's lifestyle music for suburban white people who idolize rural living, like how jimmy buffet is lifestyle music for suburban white people who idolize getting drunk on a beach.
I hate Jimmy Buffet but that is a pretty great thing to idolize.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

One bourbon, one shot, and one beer is rap

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

"I listen to the same bands I discovered in college"

HEY! :mad:

I found some good music around that time :(

And most modern country music is mostly about making you feel that you made the right choice in buying a Ford F-150

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Personally I only listen to death metal bands that use animals as vocalists

Big cat organ fan I see.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_organ

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
All I know about modern country music is every song is about your truck and how cool trucks are and boy howdy I love my truck and it's every popular song you hear the racist bus driver listen to in your lovely suburb on your way to school.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

"Also, I have never heard a death metal song in my life but I have heard of the genre for some reason"
Haha. That's what does my head in. It's always specifically "death metal" (sometimes thrash). Never doom, or nu metal, or black metal, or usually not even just plain old "metal". Gotta stick that scary "death" on there.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

More like Hatebeak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXKR9EWhXo

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
What do those Country people think about the gentle tunes of Bluegrass / Hiphop mixup band, GanstaGrass?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Roblo posted:

Haha. That's what does my head in. It's always specifically "death metal" (sometimes thrash). Never doom, or nu metal, or black metal, or usually not even just plain old "metal". Gotta stick that scary "death" on there.

Sometimes “screamo” is the all encompassing word for heavy music even though that’s a very specific punk subgenre

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fishstick posted:

What do those Country people think about the gentle tunes of Bluegrass / Hiphop mixup band, GanstaGrass?

country music is a rich tradition with a lot of crossover appeal, what contemporary country purists are antsy about is just generally gatekeeping bland applebees Whiteness and protecting "our music" from the encroaching spread of black popular music into general taste (as it has been for the last, like, hundred years of american popular music)

country is one of the last remaining mostly white musical traditions in america, but sort of traditional real radio country hasn't been truly popular since like the early 90's at best in favor of 'country' being a thin paint slapped onto adult soft rock or hard rock, but with banjos, or pop rock, or just pop, or really honestly just rap music or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPl8qlKq41o

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Jun 5, 2019

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Charley Pride was a huge success on the country charts in the 1960s.

Country's always been a bit confused about what it is. Those old country compilations they sold on TV regularly contained the Everly Brothers. Bird Dog could be confused for a country song, Devoted to You, possibly. A more popular inclusion, though, was Cathy's Clown, which does not sound traditionally country in the least. Harper Valley PTA, another standard, had a more rock beat but is sung by a very southern-sounding singer.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

reminder that Henry Ford created the industry of country western radio stations to beat back that insidious, ethnic jazz: https://jalopnik.com/henry-ford-plotted-to-destroy-black-jewish-jazz-with-c-1788536315

also the reason Lil Nas X gets racismed while Darius Rucker doesn't is because Lil Nas X doesn't submit to whiteness. note that the video for Old Town Road has more than one black person in it. as opposed to this, some random Darius Rucker video I just googled, where the entire video is Darius Rucker Parties With White Men: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im5N-0ZNf14

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Darius Rucker is One Of The Good Ones because white people went nuts for Hootie and the Blowfish.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Did somebody say black people, country music, and racism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRdkrDk0BQ0

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

vyelkin posted:

Did somebody say black people, country music, and racism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRdkrDk0BQ0

Was expecting this to be Accidental Racist.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Old Town Road is catchy as gently caress.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Enough about country music, let's talk about the real issues, like liberals wanting to steal your video games.

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1135953974929121280?s=19

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

luxury handset posted:

nowdays it's basically soft rock or pop rap but in a southern accent with a fiddle or slide guitar in the background as played on radio stations that define themselves as country music stations. it's lifestyle music for suburban white people who idolize rural living, like how jimmy buffet is lifestyle music for suburban white people who idolize getting drunk on a beach. country has very soft edges on the definition because it is more of a label than a genre definition

more authentic american country music is typically called like roots music or americana

Rate Your Music gives this definition of what they define as the “contemporary country” sub-genre.

quote:

Contemporary country is essentially a new traditionalist movement of country that incorporates both heavily pop-influenced styles, and the more pop-averse movement of Neo-Traditionalist Country, with the common thread between them being modern styles of production and instrumentation.

Contemporary country artists retain a traditional vocal style, and lyrics tend to focus on themes of the working class, modern farm machinery, alcohol, reminiscence of older times, and an extremely strong sense of American patriotism. Musically, pop-rock esque setups of a guitar, drums, and bass are used while keeping a comercial and radio friendly sound. However, mandolin, fiddle, dobro, and even subtle synths can also be utilized. Contemporary country also almost completely loses the folk, blues, and singer/songwriter influences of other types of country.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Ian Miles brain is completely broken.

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/476112846330159104

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/916324047205441536

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Not sure this is the place for it, but does anyone have a good rebuttal of Jordan Peterson's shite? Anything that highlights how much of an alt right psuedo-intellectual bellend he is? I have a friend who just posted about his new book on Facebook, I said something negative about him and just got "he certainly is painted that way :) " as a reply.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Katt posted:

Ian Miles brain is completely broken.

you're forgetting that he did a political 180 because a random website gave the witcher 3 a B

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Roblo posted:

Not sure this is the place for it, but does anyone have a good rebuttal of Jordan Peterson's shite? Anything that highlights how much of an alt right psuedo-intellectual bellend he is? I have a friend who just posted about his new book on Facebook, I said something negative about him and just got "he certainly is painted that way :) " as a reply.

I happened to watch this a few days back, it covers most of the relevant ground: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A2UC1YQxy4

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Roblo posted:

AhhhhhhHHHHH JUST SEVER

My god way to take your individual view and basically call you a mindless parrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Roblo posted:

you can't just rebut him in general, peterson is very good at saying nothing of consequence and refusing to commit to a position he can be proven wrong over

if you can draw out some specific claim aside from the creepy self-help nonsense then you can rebut that