Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

What kinda fucked up tour is this?
i just bought one of the all hailed and almighty crate GX-130C heads.

if you DONT know, it's the sister amp to the ampeg VH-140C, and was used by cannibal corpse for many, many, many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

getfuct posted:

if you DONT know, it's the sister amp to the ampeg VH-140C, and was used by cannibal corpse for many, many, many years.

I love mine, but I need to get it fixed. It randomly cuts out while playing and the only fix I found that sort-of works was to loop the cables for the foot switch over the top putting a little tension on them.
I have an Ampeg V-4 that I run it through, all in storage at the moment though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Zakalwe posted:

Weird. Billy always liked Lace Sensors.

Blue in the neck, silver in the middle and red in the bridge.

Huh, I didn't know that. I love Blue in the neck. One of my favorite neck pup sounds ever. I use Red in the middle, though, and a JB Jr. in the bridge.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I have the blue in the neck and a humbucker red in the bridge, sounds great. It's much like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Telecaster_Plus Sounds really great.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

getfuct posted:

cool I think there's one of those in the basemrnt of the shop I work at :ninja:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Guitar Center had 'em 3 for $12. :v:

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004

Zakalwe posted:

Weird. Billy always liked Lace Sensors.

Blue in the neck, silver in the middle and red in the bridge.

Yep! That's what my other Strat has:

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Today I bought a 22" x 18" mirror. Not a musical purchase? gently caress you, this thing is going to make me a better guitar player or else.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Today I bought a 22" x 18" mirror. Not a musical purchase? gently caress you, this thing is going to make me a better AIR guitar player or else.

:guitar:

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Bought the Laboga today. Sold the Randall to a bandmate of mine to afford the Laboga. My first tube amp, I'm so proud now. :)

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Grandpa Pap posted:

Guitar Center had 'em 3 for $12. :v:

That's a pretty crazy gauge. D: Standard tuning?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Duck and burger posted:

That's about what 08s normally are, isn't it?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Duck and burger posted:

Yep! I hadn't changed the strings since I bought the guitar a couple years ago (for a while I neglected playing for various excuses reasons), so I don't know what gauges I was originally using on it. But compared to the Extra Slinkys, they were like telegraph cables or something. :v: I'm still stretching the strings out and getting used to them, but so far I'm in love with 'em.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
What's the tension like? I'm restringing 72/42/32/26/16/12 right now.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Duck and burger posted:

Is that to E Standard?

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Thorpe posted:

Is that to E Standard?

Yes totally

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

The inlay is a little flashy for me, but I love this guitar! Neck-thru and string-thru bridge, notes sustain forever. A little over three bills for it with case included. :3:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

CanuckBassist posted:

The inlay is a little flashy for me, but I love this guitar! Neck-thru and string-thru bridge, notes sustain forever. A little over three bills for it with case included. :3:

That is truly a beautiful guitar. :)

Duck and burger posted:

I'm still a bit of a guitar novice, so forgive me if my answer sounds too noob-ish. :) Overall everything feels great (much, much easier on the fingers) and the action feels nice and fast. However, I am noticing a bit of fret buzz at the first/second frets near the nut. I'm not sure what the gauges were on my older strings, my guess is that because of the lighter gauge (and thus lighter string tension), they're sitting a bit lower. But that's something I can experiment around with as I go (the guitar I'm using only cost me $100 so I'm not too worried about using it as a sort of test bed for learning guitar maintenance basics).

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Crossposting this for relevance. In the rehearsal space thread someone suggested using pinstriping tape on a dry erase board to make a staff board. Today, I did just that. It was much easier than I thought it would be. (It was also WAY cheaper than the other option.)

Dry erase board - ~$20
Pinstriping tape - $3.50
30 minutes time - $0

-vs-

Actual music staff dry erase board (albeit larger) - ~$500

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!

CanuckBassist posted:

I don't usually like gold hardware but that IS a goddamned beautiful guitar. Congrats!

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Duck and burger posted:

Yes totally

Man you like some tight strings. I could rock an F# at 25.5" scale. I've always wanted to try crazy gauge strings but my girly hands always get in the way.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?
Grad school is over, so I decided to get myself a present:

Squier Affinity Butterscotch Tele, GFS 3ply esquire pickguard and GFS NeoVin Noiseless Tele Bridge pickup.
Esquire here I come!

And whoops: my dad thought he'd get me a present for Xmas too!

ART TubeMP Project Series w/ USB
Shure SM57
+a mic cable and stand

I had no idea I was getting this. My bedroom recording setup just got about 1000x better (upgrade from a karaoke mic and a 1/4" --> 1/8" adapter straight into my laptop from my guitar).

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I found out that I get paid earlier than I normally do, so I purchased:

A Furman M-8DX Power "Conditioner."

A Boss FV-500L Volume Pedal

5 packs of my favorite kind of strings.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Grandpa Pap posted:

I'm still a bit of a guitar novice, so forgive me if my answer sounds too noob-ish. :) Overall everything feels great (much, much easier on the fingers) and the action feels nice and fast. However, I am noticing a bit of fret buzz at the first/second frets near the nut. I'm not sure what the gauges were on my older strings, my guess is that because of the lighter gauge (and thus lighter string tension), they're sitting a bit lower. But that's something I can experiment around with as I go (the guitar I'm using only cost me $100 so I'm not too worried about using it as a sort of test bed for learning guitar maintenance basics).

You could've lowered the action to compensate for the high tension with the old strings, but now you can raise it to compensate for the low tension. Higher tension tends to sound better and intonate more accurately, by the way. You probably won't notice if you're just starting out or if you're not doing anything too crazy like me.

CanuckBassist posted:

C-1 Classic -- nice. Is that a pre-'09 model? I've never seen that color before. I was just thinking I wish I had gold covers/knobs on mine (it's green!)

Thorpe posted:

Man you like some tight strings. I could rock an F# at 25.5" scale. I've always wanted to try crazy gauge strings but my girly hands always get in the way.

Nah, it's something like a C# tuning with a low F#. If it were standard it would obliterate the neck.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Gorilla Salsa posted:

5 packs of my favorite kind of strings.

I just bought like ten of these with various singles when the 54s/19s won't do. They are fabulous. gently caress a Boomer.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Duck and burger posted:

I just bought like ten of these with various singles when the 54s/19s won't do. They are fabulous. gently caress a Boomer.

I use these with a 64 on bottom and a 6 on top. 8-strings are the poo poo.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Crossposting this for relevance. In the rehearsal space thread someone suggested using pinstriping tape on a dry erase board to make a staff board. Today, I did just that. It was much easier than I thought it would be. (It was also WAY cheaper than the other option.)

Dry erase board - ~$20
Pinstriping tape - $3.50
30 minutes time - $0

-vs-

Actual music staff dry erase board (albeit larger) - ~$500

I feel like it would be more functional if you just drew some straight lines with a ruler and permanent marker (one that wouldn't erase). That way the tape wouldn't get in the way of fluid writing.

Edit: Ok, apparently that doesn't work. Never mind.

The Mystery Date fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 1, 2010

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Duck and burger posted:

You could've lowered the action to compensate for the high tension with the old strings, but now you can raise it to compensate for the low tension. Higher tension tends to sound better and intonate more accurately, by the way. You probably won't notice if you're just starting out or if you're not doing anything too crazy like me.
Thanks for the tip! I'll mess around with it sometime this weekend. :)

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Duck and burger posted:

C-1 Classic -- nice. Is that a pre-'09 model? I've never seen that color before. I was just thinking I wish I had gold covers/knobs on mine (it's green!)

I'm not sure what year it is. From what Schecter web-tech told me, not much has changed other than colours and the inlay (different materials maybe?) since they switched the neck pickup from a '59 to a Jazz in 2004. So... it's somewhere between 2004 and 2009!

cloudnine
Jul 13, 2007

by Peatpot
Not the usual for this thread, but I bought me a blingy bling mouthpiece!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

The Mystery Date posted:

I feel like it would be more functional if you just drew some straight lines with a ruler and permanent marker (one that wouldn't erase). That way the tape wouldn't get in the way of fluid writing.

I read somewhere that permanent marker isn't permanent anymore if you write over it with a dry erase marker (the solvents in the dry erase pull up the ink), so that probably wouldn't last for too long.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's on a dry erase board. It's a glossy, solid material and the permanent ink can't soak into it very well. On paper, it will there forever. But it's not really permanent, I've washed it out of clothes before.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Now that the lines are at least there, I can always just put painter's tape over the white parts, peel the pinstripe tape off and give it a good spraypaintin' :clint:. That would be more permanent than anything, though, so I'm just going to wait and see if I like using it the way it is now.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
whoops, I bought a Strat today.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

Fender American Deluxe Ash, six months old, barely used and only that one ding below the jack, $900. I love Craigslist.

It needs a tremolo arm (I THINK the one included is for a standard strat and not a deluxe, because it doesn't fit at all? the hole is way too wide) and to be set up, but man it is already fun as hell to play. It's got ridiculous sustain, and those pickups sound excellent (far more responsive than I'm used to). Definitely a nice change of pace from my SG.

aspacemonkey
Sep 24, 2005
Curious no more.
Christmas/late paycheck money:

Click here for the full 700x604 image.

Boss DD-20 $160, yay ebay! Hopefully it will arrive soon so that I can stop going to elderly and playing with theirs.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

aspacemonkey posted:

Christmas/late paycheck money:

Click here for the full 700x604 image.

Boss DD-20 $160, yay ebay! Hopefully it will arrive soon so that I can stop going to elderly and playing with theirs.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
Two new things; a Randal quadbox and a shiny new BC Rich Gunslinger. Sadly, they're both terrible photos; I'll have to try when I've got more natural light. The colour of the guitar is captured well, at least;

Pups on this are magnificent; so different to the Infinitys on the Ibby. As I would hope. The SD Super Distortion loves a medium overdrive so much more than full distortion :)

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
Since this is the gear thread, I'll ask here: has anyone bought anything from Musician's Friend used? I'm eyeing a new amp, and with the current sale the used model they have (a customer return, rated as "like new") saves me a hell of a lot of money. Any thoughts?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I bought a Harmony H-802. This guitar is Indie as gently caress.

(Click for the Flickr set)

The best part was the price: $40.

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I bought a Harmony H-802. This guitar is Indie as gently caress.

(Click for the Flickr set)

The best part was the price: $40.

:smug:

Looks nice. Does it sound like $40?