Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I was going to say you should look for a forester XT which has a factory wrx motor, but at that price I'd actually be tempted. That would be an extremely fun winter vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Black88GTA posted:

Do it. Not saying the head gasket is definitely OK, but the B20A5 that will be in that '89 is not noted for popping head gaskets (The B21 found in the 90-91s, however, is an oil burning piece of poo poo). There are tons of 88-89 Preludes kicking around with 300K+ on the clock and the original motor intact. In other words, there is a not-insignificant chance that there's something else going on, but the (idiot) owner may be of the mindset that overheating = bad HG. :downs:

Get some sticky tires and a decent suspension on there, and that car will handle like it's on rails. The 4ws 3G Prelude is extremely underrated and cheap for what it is, FWD notwithstanding. That one looks like it's in at least OK shape overall, as these cars suffered pretty badly from 80s Honda rot. Mine's a mess by the fuel filler door as well.

Ugh. I'd really love to fix up that Prelude but I don't have a garage for the winter, and I'm about to start a new job. I hope someone here buys it and treats it right.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Crustashio posted:

I was going to say you should look for a forester XT which has a factory wrx motor, but at that price I'd actually be tempted. That would be an extremely fun winter vehicle.

Didn't they do a factory turbo model of the first gen Forester in the states?

Here they generally sell for less than the n/a models because the bad rep the TT Legacy has acquired has spread to them.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

an oddly awful oud posted:

Ugh. I'd really love to fix up that Prelude but I don't have a garage for the winter, and I'm about to start a new job. I hope someone here buys it and treats it right.

Also the motors take very well to boost, and the car weighs only about 2400 - 2500 lbs. I don't know if I'd call them "fast" in stock form, but it's definitely arguable when you toss a JY turbo kit on there.
That one actually looks to be in nicer shape than mine and has 4WS, most likely with a 5 speed...if the engine does turn out to be hosed, I can just put the one from my car in, swap my suspension and wheels over, and resell what's left...

gently caress, i'm almost talking myself into getting it. :( If I had room for another car and time for another project, I'd be figuring out how to get that back here right now.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/2838314057.html

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/boa/2837852102.html

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

A faulty brake switch (which causes the brake lights to always be on) is easy to fix, but the bent control arms, not so much.

Also that faulty brake switch will cause the battery to drain surprisingly quickly.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

dissss posted:

Didn't they do a factory turbo model of the first gen Forester in the states?

Here they generally sell for less than the n/a models because the bad rep the TT Legacy has acquired has spread to them.

No, that generation with the square taillights never got one AFAIK. The XT started with the wierd triangle taillights, and used the same motor as the WRX at the time so it nets about 225hp.

Mike_P
Aug 4, 2006

"I dunnoooow"

Ready for Burning Man and/or the coming apocalypse.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Points should be awarded for honesty and quality of overall write up, but there's no way a reasonable person should give $500 for that unless they're using it as part of a bank robbery and aren't going to register it.

Why do people still buy these pieces of poo poo?

I just can't find a use for them outside of Lemons style racing and they're a poor choice from the start because it's a pontiac and has pontiac reliability.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 7, 2012

PeppysDilz
Oct 9, 2011

"Wow that's a terrible paintjo... WHA? THE HORRORS OF THE INTERIOR!"

Edit: Apparently this guy auto-x's at the same local club that I do (though I've never seen the car?) and this car is known as "bumblebeast".

PeppysDilz fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 8, 2012

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

PeppysDilz posted:

"Wow that's a terrible paintjo... WHA? THE HORRORS OF THE INTERIOR!"

60k invested huh :what:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

When the insurance appraisal is around half of what's invested, you've got problems.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
All that invested and only 323hp? That is pathetic.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Can someone ask him for receipts, because I'm really curious where all that money went

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Paint adds up really fast. I could probably blow at least $10-12k on a repaint like that. Probably more since it seems like they got the door jambs and stuff which probably indicated at least partial disassembly, paint and reassembly. The upholstery/interior (seats, headliner) could probably add up if it were bespoke as well.

Write cheques to get all your work done at a shop, I could see it hitting 30k+ of "investments." The other 30k, I dunno. Stereo crap?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 8, 2012

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Maybe he counted the initial cost of the car into his "investment".

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Maybe he counted the initial cost of the car into his "investment".

Ding ding! I texted him from my google voice number and he said the original cost of the car is figured into the 60k.

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I'm starting to hate the word "invested".

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
Mitsubishi L300 van! <3

larger version (my hosting) : http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7170/6834338859_d245decce0_o.png

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

So torn on this one - it's a great deal and looks decent on the outside, but I'm so afraid of the maintenance (or lack thereof), and the quality of the engine swap.

*edit* also "sulnand", "FUEL INJECTOR ENGINE", "throatle body injection", "tokiko", and it's an auto.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 8, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
http://southcoast.craigslist.org/cto/2785373690.html

Seems cool.

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
Did anyone see this on retrorides?

NIGEL MANSELL'S FORD MONDEO

I really wish I saw the advert in all its glory.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

I'm curious what is meant by "typical RX7 quirks".

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Gold?

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/2838475738.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

and then there's this...

$7500, and you list literally NOTHING about the car?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

SiliconX posted:

I think that means it doesn't run.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

quote:

im selling a 1989 chrysler conquest tsi for 2000 obo/ trade, i bought the car as a project/ daily driver. it needs minor tlc work to do, but nothing major.
the engine is a 2.6l 4 cylinder turbocharged engine with a little over 86,000 on the dot the cylinders are bored at.20 . body has minor scraches and one dent, the car has a brand new clutch, all four disc brake pads along with rear rotors new spark plugs and hks exaust. this is a standard RWD car that is fast. like i said the car needs minor work that can easily be fixed. this car is super rare and is a real head turner. text me at 860-830-5513 for details or email me any time.

I wonder what that means...

poo poo, I uploaded the picture via the SA upload feature and its way too wide. How do I delete it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 8, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you're looking for conquests/starions:
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/2834505154.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Cracklist Gold!

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/2819170220.html

So 'RUSTED HOOD' is a feature now?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yes. Yes it is.

http://blog.cardomain.com/2009/01/30/rusty-hood-trend/

:suicide:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
This poor RX-7

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nodoze posted:

This poor RX-7

"I think it's producing about 420 horse,"

based on what? the butt dyno?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
420 chip apex seals e'erday

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

toaster_pastry posted:

Mitsubishi L300 van! <3

larger version (my hosting) : http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7170/6834338859_d245decce0_o.png
Complete utter bucket of poo poo and death trap to boot

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

rscott posted:

420 chip apex seals e'erday

gently caress you, it's going to take me a week to clean all this coke off my computer screen.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Pfft, $7500 for a Toyota Starlet? How about $300.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Just going to link this one since it has big pictures. I'd love to go check this out.

"89 Toyota Cressida w/2JZGTE Twin Turbo"

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2809380177.html

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

This Mustang is extremely custom.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/2841920818.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

SiliconX posted:

It sometimes runs and usually catches fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Engine has been flooded