Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Glamorama26 posted:

So Argento's The Bird With The Crystal Plumage just got a new blu ray through VCI Entertainment. Anyone familiar with their product? I have a really nice copy of the film from Blue Underground, but it's just a DVD and I was wondering if it would be worth an upgrade.

Blu-Ray.com reviewed it. General consequence is not as good as the Blue Underground Blu-Ray but still worth buying if you can't justify paying OOP prices.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Bird-With-the-Crystal-Plumage-Blu-ray/45997/#Review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Thank you for the info. Kinda want to hold off because Blue Underground might eventually do a reissue, but also I'm impulsive and demand immediate satisfaction.

Speaking of Blue Underground, if anyone isn't familiar with them, do yourself a favor and look into their list of available titles, they've always done right by me.

Edit: Well I just realized the new Bird is 15 bucks on Amazon so yeah, very bought.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 13, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$19.49 for the Rocky series ($3.25 a movie)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M9WW30...XTMZRAX38XP1CQP

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I would get the VCI release. Any "official" or deluxe editions would use the newer transfer supervised by Vittorio Storaro, which is reframed to 2:1 and supposed to be overdone with DVNR. VCI is probably the only way to get the original 2.35:1 without paying a fortune.

As for Kino releases, they're usually worth it unless there's a better release in Region B (and you're region unlocked). Most of their releases, unless it's a major restoration like Metropolis, are mostly raw scans of film elements with minimal work. While there's a good bit of dirt and scratches, there's little to no DVNR wrecking the image. Only The General had some DVNR applied, but it's nowhere near Universal levels.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

As for Kino releases, they're usually worth it unless there's a better release in Region B (and you're region unlocked). Most of their releases, unless it's a major restoration like Metropolis, are mostly raw scans of film elements with minimal work. While there's a good bit of dirt and scratches, there's little to no DVNR wrecking the image. Only The General had some DVNR applied, but it's nowhere near Universal levels.

It's also worth mentioning that The General still looks amazing in motion. That was one of my go-to movies to dispel the idea that only new movies could benefit from HD.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's also worth mentioning that The General still looks amazing in motion. That was one of my go-to movies to dispel the idea that only new movies could benefit from HD.

But it wasn't shot in HD so it CAN'T look good right?! :spergin:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Personperson14 posted:

But it wasn't shot in HD so it CAN'T look good right?! :spergin:

(Comparison of frame/sensor sizes)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm getting to the point where I dislike Universal blu-rays because they act so differently from other blu-rays. I watch blu-rays on my PS3, using the standard controller. From what I can tell, the start button maps to "play" on a remote and the X button maps to "enter." Most blu-rays will let me pause and unpause them by hitting either start or X; it doesn't really matter which one. I usually use X just because the button's a lot bigger.

Universal blu-rays will only pause/unpause if I hit the start button. This wouldn't be so bad if not for the second thing: when you pause a Universal blu-ray, it puts up a menu of options and the default option is to go back to the main menu. So if I forget to press start and I end up pressing X out of force of habit, I get dumped out of the episode and have to go back and find my place in it again.

But the third thing, while not something I run into often, highlights the whole absurdity of this: if you leave a Universal blu-ray paused for more than a few minutes, it displays a screensaver. When the screensaver is up, the buttons are switched for no drat reason. Pressing start just tells me "this action cannot be performed here" and pressing X unpauses the blu-ray. So there's not even any drat internal consistency to their blu-rays.

Universal! :argh:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

...! posted:

But the third thing, while not something I run into often, highlights the whole absurdity of this: if you leave a Universal blu-ray paused for more than a few minutes, it displays a screensaver. When the screensaver is up, the buttons are switched for no drat reason. Pressing start just tells me "this action cannot be performed here" and pressing X unpauses the blu-ray. So there's not even any drat internal consistency to their blu-rays.

When we still had our old BD player (a Sony BDP-S550), if you let a Universal BD go to that screensaver, it caused the player to crash. :downs:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

...! posted:

I'm getting to the point where I dislike Universal blu-rays because they act so differently from other blu-rays. I watch blu-rays on my PS3, using the standard controller. From what I can tell, the start button maps to "play" on a remote and the X button maps to "enter." Most blu-rays will let me pause and unpause them by hitting either start or X; it doesn't really matter which one. I usually use X just because the button's a lot bigger.

Universal blu-rays will only pause/unpause if I hit the start button. This wouldn't be so bad if not for the second thing: when you pause a Universal blu-ray, it puts up a menu of options and the default option is to go back to the main menu. So if I forget to press start and I end up pressing X out of force of habit, I get dumped out of the episode and have to go back and find my place in it again.

Revenge for not buying the superior format :colbert:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

VoodooXT posted:

When we still had our old BD player (a Sony BDP-S550), if you let a Universal BD go to that screensaver, it caused the player to crash. :downs:

Haha, on my player when it goes to the screensaver the only way to get back to the movie (or to get back to anything) is to press stop, which resets the whole disc, and then I have to scene-select my way back to where I was.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I've never had an issue with a Universal blu-ray disc. You guys probably did something wrong.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still love the old Warner Bros BDs which, with a minimum amount of bullshit, started the movie as soon as you put the disc in.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I still love the old Warner Bros BDs which, with a minimum amount of bullshit, started the movie as soon as you put the disc in.

You mean you don't want to watch a long winded ad for a format that you've clearly already invested in?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Call Me Charlie posted:

Revenge for not buying the superior format :colbert:

But I did buy an HD-DVD player before blu-ray won. :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Was HD-DVD actually better than blu-ray? I never actually saw a movie on that format nor do I know anyone who did.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

CPL593H posted:

I've never had an issue with a Universal blu-ray disc. You guys probably did something wrong.

Or it could be that the Sony BDP-S550 is a first gen BD player?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

VoodooXT posted:

Or it could be that the Sony BDP-S550 is a first gen BD player?

Nah, you guys did something wrong.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

CPL593H posted:

You mean you don't want to watch a long winded ad for a format that you've clearly already invested in?
I put in Hot Fuzz the other day and thanks to BD-Live I was treated to a new commercial.

Going to start unplugging my internet on the PS3 when I want to watch a BD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Harlock posted:

I put in Hot Fuzz the other day and thanks to BD-Live I was treated to a new commercial.

Going to start unplugging my internet on the PS3 when I want to watch a BD.

One thing that does piss me off is that some blu-ray discs with BD live won't play unless your player is actually connected to the internet. That whole loving feature is a useless gimmick, made worse by the fact that it's apparently more important than the actual movie.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CPL593H posted:

Was HD-DVD actually better than blu-ray? I never actually saw a movie on that format nor do I know anyone who did.

Friend of mine bought the Xbox player when the format was already on it's way out. It was really cheap and movies were about €10 each because everyone was dumping their stock. It's main advantage for the consumer was that it was always region-free.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CPL593H posted:

Playing them on a PS3 would be a start. I'm stuck with two players right now because my 3D player doesn't do multiregion DVD playback. I considered getting a PS3 so I wouldn't have two mostly identical devices plugged in, but I heard of enough problems with PS3s as players that I gave it a miss. I'll upgrade to a pre-hacked current gen Sony instead.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Glamorama26 posted:

So Argento's The Bird With The Crystal Plumage just got a new blu ray through VCI Entertainment. Anyone familiar with their product? I have a really nice copy of the film from Blue Underground, but it's just a DVD and I was wondering if it would be worth an upgrade.

Compared to his other stuff it's a really boring movie though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Universal's menus are obnoxious. Everyone needs to use the "slide out" menus on Criterion and Kino releases.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That's not going far enough. Someone needs to make a blu-ray that puts itself in the player. Watching movies is hard.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Someone needs to make a blu-ray with every single movie on it. Do you know how often I'm in the middle of watching one movie and miss out on the second half because I'm trying to see what I'm going to watch next?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

That's not going far enough. Someone needs to make a blu-ray that puts itself in the player. Watching movies is hard.

That's what a HTPC and 3 external hard drives are for :getin:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

CPL593H posted:

It used the same video codecs as blu-ray but the disk were only 15gb per layer (30gb max) vs 25gb/50gb for blu-ray. So the superior format won.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
It wasn't that cut-and-dry. HD-DVD had better features at launch, like picture-in-picture. For this reason, a lot of HD-DVD releases had special features that weren't on Blu-Ray. It took Blu-Ray two or three years to reach feature parity, and some of those early Blu-Ray releases were never updated to include the special features that were present on HD-DVD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RetroHelix posted:

It wasn't that cut-and-dry. HD-DVD had better features at launch, like picture-in-picture. For this reason, a lot of HD-DVD releases had special features that weren't on Blu-Ray. It took Blu-Ray two or three years to reach feature parity, and some of those early Blu-Ray releases were never updated to include the special features that were present on HD-DVD.

Why the gently caress would you want picture in picture while you're watching a movie? Also I buy a movie for the movie. I rarely give a poo poo about special features and I've certainly never based my decision to buy a movie on them. The quality of the transfer is more important than anything else. I'm okay with having a better looking/sounding video instead of a bunch of behind the scenes poo poo I'll never watch.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Why the gently caress would you want picture in picture while you're watching a movie? Also I buy a movie for the movie. I rarely give a poo poo about special features and I've certainly never based my decision to buy a movie on them. The quality of the transfer is more important than anything else. I'm okay with having a better looking/sounding video instead of a bunch of behind the scenes poo poo I'll never watch.

That's cool, but I've bought movies that I was only moderately interested in rewatching because they were loaded with special features I thought would be cool and I've avoided buying movies I kinda wanted to see again/own just because they got barebones releases that don't feel worthwhile (Drive is the big one I can think of off the top of my head). People buy poo poo for different reasons and a lot of people do like special features.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That's cool, but I've bought movies that I was only moderately interested in rewatching because they were loaded with special features I thought would be cool and I've avoided buying movies I kinda wanted to see again/own just because they got barebones releases that don't feel worthwhile (Drive is the big one I can think of off the top of my head). People buy poo poo for different reasons and a lot of people do like special features.

I just find it weird that this stuff overshadows the actual movie for people. Like everyone who raged about the new Star Trek blu-ray not having a commentary track or something. I don't get why that's a deal breaker if you liked the movie enough to want to buy it in the first place.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

CPL593H posted:

I just find it weird that this stuff overshadows the actual movie for people. Like everyone who raged about the new Star Trek blu-ray not having a commentary track or something. I don't get why that's a deal breaker if you liked the movie enough to want to buy it in the first place.

I buy it for the full package. I liked the movie, but if I get nothing else then I'll just rent it or see it on TV. A lot of people like the extras, and most good movies don't gently caress them up. Star Trek did.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CPL593H posted:

Why the gently caress would you want picture in picture while you're watching a movie?

Comparison of storyboards with the finished product, for a start.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NihilismNow posted:

It used the same video codecs as blu-ray but the disk were only 15gb per layer (30gb max) vs 25gb/50gb for blu-ray. So the superior format won.

No, HD-DVD had some cool features (they actually were doing 3 layers for 45 GB along with some thing where you could play them in SD in normal DVD players) but the problem was that they only had like 1 exclusive producer (I think Universal?) while Blu-ray had 3 or 4 exclusive producers and one or two were multiplat as well.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Picture in picture commentary on the Band of Brothers Blu-rays is wonderful. That is the only Blu-ray i've seen it on. Wouldn't mind it on more disks although obviously it won't work everywhere
Special features play a big part in my Blu ray/DVD buying decisions. I am addicted to commentary tracks. Unfortunately like 2/3s of all commentary tracks seem to get cut for a european release.

computer parts posted:

No, HD-DVD had some cool features (they actually were doing 3 layers for 45 GB along with some thing where you could play them in SD in normal DVD players) but the problem was that they only had like 1 exclusive producer (I think Universal?) while Blu-ray had 3 or 4 exclusive producers and one or two were multiplat as well.
Did they actually get this working before the format was retired?

All i can find it this blurb

quote:

"The new disc is capable of either a dual-layer 30GB HD DVD and single-layer 4.7GB configuration, or single-layer 15GB HD DVD and dual-layer 8.5GB DVDThe new disc is capable of either a dual-layer 30GB HD DVD and single-layer 4.7GB configuration, or single-layer 15GB HD DVD and dual-layer 8.5GB DVD"

That seems to support dual layer + SD playback but the only thing i can find about actual 3 layer HD-DVD disks is from late 2007, presumably adding a extra layer would require a new player as well? Did any of those 51 gb disks actually make it to market?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

December Kino releases:

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1920 John Barrymore version)
More Than Honey
The Blue Angel: Special Edition (both German and English versions)
Himalaya

Olive Films is releasing The Bells of St. Mary's on Nov. 19th.

Also, looks like a remastered edition of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is coming in Germany from MGM. We can probably expect a US release in the near future. The current US disc isn't that great, especially compared to the excellent remasters of the other two Dollars films.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, looks like a remastered edition of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is coming in Germany from MGM. We can probably expect a US release in the near future. The current US disc isn't that great, especially compared to the excellent remasters of the other two Dollars films.

I wouldn't bet on this. The Mondo restoration received a release in Italy years ago and it still hasn't hit American shores. Which is a shame since it blows the US release away.

NihilismNow posted:

That seems to support dual layer + SD playback but the only thing i can find about actual 3 layer HD-DVD disks is from late 2007, presumably adding a extra layer would require a new player as well? Did any of those 51 gb disks actually make it to market?

Actual 3 layer HD-DVDs never made it to market.

There was some anime series that could play in both HD-DVD and DVD players but I think it had one layer that was HD-DVD and one layer that was DVD. Or it may have been a single layer HD-DVD and two layer DVD.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
All HD-DVDs and their players were completely region-free, so that's one thing I miss about them losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

...! posted:

For <$20, you can fix this problem and rage no more: http://www.amazon.com/Media-Blu-ray-Remote-Control-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SX9I2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379347378&sr=8-1&keywords=ps3+remote

• Locked thread