Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Binary Badger posted:

But if you want to give an AASP or Apple Store tech a good laugh, go right ahead, the burrs and toolmarks are dead giveaways for those who try too hard.

I don't disagree with any of that, but it was like 1AM, no one was open. And I put masking tape around the screws so I wouldn't chew them up. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Fleece as white as snow in a city
Is there a big difference between the processor choices for the MBA? Upgrading to i7 is kind of expensive but seeing how this will be my main tool I guess I could try to save up if the difference is noticeable.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Jack Flint posted:

Is there a big difference between the processor choices for the MBA? Upgrading to i7 is kind of expensive but seeing how this will be my main tool I guess I could try to save up if the difference is noticeable.

Generally not worthwhile as the performance increase is something like 10-15% at best and only during the most intensive tasks which take advantage of it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jack Flint posted:

What are you going to be doing with it? You're still only limited to two cores (if you're going to do serious lifting it's crazy to not get the 15" because it has a quad-core) but it's an easy 10-20% boost for only $100 (which is only 6.67% more money)

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Fleece as white as snow in a city

Shmoogy posted:

Generally not worthwhile as the performance increase is something like 10-15% at best and only during the most intensive tasks which take advantage of it.

Cheers, that's relieving. Between the bigger ssd, more ram and all the adapters the price tag is quickly climbing...

Bob Morales posted:

What are you going to be doing with it? You're still only limited to two cores (if you're going to do serious lifting it's crazy to not get the 15" because it has a quad-core) but it's an easy 10-20% boost for only $100 (which is only 6.67% more money)

Even with my 10%-ish student discount it's +137e here. Knowing me, I'll just be multitasking, doing some data analysis, big pdfs etc. So nothing really cpu heavy I'd think.

Jack Flint fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 9, 2012

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Great! Thanks for the advice! I still wonder why it didn't show up when I went to do a fresh install? Is there any common mistakes that people make? It was after a full day at work and a uni exam so I may have missed something but really it's quite easy...

E: also regarding the torque screwdriver/screws, I completely forgot about it but I wanted to do it then and there. And I live in Australia so I can't just walk down to a random store and pick one up, I'll have to go to a tool store.

Guni fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 9, 2012

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

japtor posted:

Hmm, I've had it since it came out (around 2.5 years apparently) and haven't had an issue yet...but I don't use the physical click much at all.

This is why I always recommend tap-to-click and three-finger-drag, for total functionality, because moving parts are for-the-lose.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
I'm really liking the reviews of the Mac Mini + Fusion Drive. I just wish there was a discrete graphics chip option. That would probably be my ideal Mac.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

I believe Geekbench results are a combination of CPU, GPU, and memory scores, so if you don't have a GPU that can crank it up (like most integrated GPUs) the score is lower.
Just CPU and memory but I have a theory related to this:

Bob Morales posted:

But it should still be ~ 500MHz faster in the CPU benchmark than the MBA, right? Maybe it's just the i7/i5 difference.
I'm thinking the i7 might have a cache advantage over the i5 which would help its scores a bit. Looked them up and yeah, i7 has 4MB L3 vs 3MB in the i5.

Siguy posted:

I'm really liking the reviews of the Mac Mini + Fusion Drive. I just wish there was a discrete graphics chip option. That would probably be my ideal Mac.
Wait another year for Haswell and that should hopefully provide a (much more) decent GPU.

vvvvv "torx" not "torque" :eng101: (searching for a torque screwdriver will give you...screwdrivers with excessive amounts of torque)

japtor fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 10, 2012

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Woo-oo!! So I got my SSD to work! For some odd, odd reason, my MBP wasn't recognising the drive for some reason, so I put it in an external enclosure I bought and went to disk utility and erased it (it was brand new so it didn't have anything to erase) and boo-yah! It worked!

Thanks for all the help goons...Now to get the torque screwdriver and put the proper screws in!

Communist
Jun 13, 2001
If found outside nmp3s, please return.
I just got a refurb i7 macbook pro 2.9 ghz mid 2012 for 999 from cowboom.com. This is a steal. They are still eligible for applecare AND 30 day no hassle returns.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Communist posted:

I just got a refurb i7 macbook pro 2.9 ghz mid 2012 for 999 from cowboom.com. This is a steal. They are still eligible for applecare AND 30 day no hassle returns.

Never heard of cowboom, are they reputable?

Communist
Jun 13, 2001
Very, they are a bestbuy company.

Here is the link

http://www.cowboom.com/product/1234824

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Communist posted:

Very, they are a bestbuy company.

Here is the link

http://www.cowboom.com/product/1234824

I am really tempted to buy this one, as I have about $1000-1200 for a laptop and wanted to get a mac after I messed around with my sister's macbook pro last time she was in town.

I was thinking the new Macbook Air would be good, but wouldn't this be just as good? I'm only going to use it for coding/internet/video/youtube. No games really. It's time to get rid of my giant desktop.

Communist
Jun 13, 2001
It's a really good deal paired with a Henge dock. Much better than the air.

Use code COWBOOM20 to get 20 bucks off the order.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

I am really tempted to buy this one, as I have about $1000-1200 for a laptop and wanted to get a mac after I messed around with my sister's macbook pro last time she was in town.

I was thinking the new Macbook Air would be good, but wouldn't this be just as good? I'm only going to use it for coding/internet/video/youtube. No games really. It's time to get rid of my giant desktop.

Please don't buy a 13" MBP. I will never understand why people still do, but they are massive piles of poo poo compared to the rest of the current market. You can get a brand new 2011 13" MBA for $919 and it is infinitely better, if only because it has an SSD.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC965LL/A

I use one for development and have literally never had a problem with it. It will only underperform if you absolutely need to run VMWare/Windows at the same time, and even then it is still mostly acceptable.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gucci void main posted:

Please don't buy a 13" MBP. I will never understand why people still do, but they are massive piles of poo poo compared to the rest of the current market. You can get a brand new 2011 13" MBA for $919 and it is infinitely better, if only because it has an SSD.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC965LL/A

I use one for development and have literally never had a problem with it. It will only underperform if you absolutely need to run VMWare/Windows at the same time, and even then it is still mostly acceptable.

2012 13" Macbook Airs aren't too much more expensive are they? (sorry I'm a newb at macs :smith:)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Communist posted:

It's a really good deal paired with a Henge dock. Much better than the air.

Use code COWBOOM20 to get 20 bucks off the order.

I actually haven't used my Hengedock in awhile :( I was only using it for charging and stuff, but maybe I should get around to getting a monitor for it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

gucci void main posted:

Please don't buy a 13" MBP. I will never understand why people still do

They're the cheapest 13" model, have more hard drive space than the Airs, and the MBP line has way more brand awareness than the Airs

Communist
Jun 13, 2001
Also the one i suggested has a 2.9 i7 whereas the air has an i5 1.7 ghz

Also the mbp is a bit more durable.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Communist posted:

Also the one i suggested has a 2.9 i7 whereas the air has an i5 1.7 ghz

Also the mbp is a bit more durable.

I don't know about that. I found that the MBP was much more prone to denting.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

They're the cheapest 13" model, have more hard drive space than the Airs, and the MBP line has way more brand awareness than the Airs

Yeah, and some people actually enjoy being able to store multiple large files without an external drive tethered to their machine at all times.

Personally, an air is only good as a supplement to another machine. Using it as your sole computer is completely unrealistic for my needs. Now, once 1Tb SSD's become cheap and readily available, then I might reevaluate my position.

E: Not to say it doesn't fit someone else's needs, but personally I just don't see it.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 11, 2012

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Now I have no clue which one to get :psyduck:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

PaganGoatPants posted:

Now I have no clue which one to get :psyduck:

Go to an Apple store/BestBuy/college campus and hold a 13" MacBook Pro. Then lift a 13" MacBook Air. If you're okay with not having an attached DVD drive (you will be. Honestly, grab a USB one on Newegg for ~20 bucks for the maybe 3 times you'll use it) and having less storage (128-256gb, depending on what you're comfortable buying/spending) in a computer that weighs significantly less, feels noticeably faster, has a noticeably better screen, and is less prone to component failure than the Macbook Pro, then GET THE GODDAMN AIR.

You've given yourself a $1200 budget cap- that'll just match a brand new base model 13" MBA, unless you can use a student discount on it- in which case it'll be cheaper.

Also: A quick dig through Apple's refurb list yields:

-2011 Sandy Bridge i5, 4 gigs RAM, 128gb SSD for $919. (This is the computer I currently own, and it's served me extremely well. My only complaint is that the 128gb are getting a bit claustrophobic, but it's not a dealbreaker for me. That said, I'll be reselling it this summer- presumably to exchange it for a yet-unreleased Haswell model with more storage.)

-:siren:2012 (this year's model) Ivy Bridge i5, 4 gigs RAM, 128gb SSD for $1,019:siren:

-2011 Sandy Bridge i5, 4 gigs RAM, 256gb SSD for $1,159.

-2011 Sandy Bridge i7, 4 gigs RAM, 256gb SSD for $1,179.

-:siren:2012 Ivy Bridge i5, 4 gigs RAM, 256gb SSD for $1,269:siren:

-2012 Ivy Bridge i7, 8 gigs RAM, 512gb SSD for $1,869.

These are really good deals. It gets mentioned once every two pages in this thread, but Apple's refurbishing program is incredibly stringent. All of the external bits that you'd touch and the battery get replaced with new components and the computer is run through a strict series of tests- it basically has to qualify as a new computer. Then they give it the full warranty. Plenty of goons swear by Apple refurbs.

In short- For everything you're planning to do (and even more- I play Steam games and edit photos on mine with no problems), there is no reason to get a 13" Pro instead of an Air outside of storage space. It will spoil you so hard. Once you get used to how thin/light it is, you will never be satisfied by other notebooks again.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 11, 2012

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

empty baggie posted:

Yeah, and some people actually enjoy being able to store multiple large files without an external drive tethered to their machine at all times.

Personally, an air is only good as a supplement to another machine. Using it as your sole computer is completely unrealistic for my needs. Now, once 1Tb SSD's become cheap and readily available, then I might reevaluate my position.

E: Not to say it doesn't fit someone else's needs, but personally I just don't see it.

If you're storing enough job-related poo poo on your computer that you need a large hard drive, you shouldn't be using a 13" MBP but likely a 15" RMBP.

The Air is the best notebook on the market and the CPU difference is irrelevant for most tasks. Again, if you're doing something like video/graphics editing, you should probably be looking at the higher end machines. The 13" MBP has a joke of a resolution with a CPU that's offset by a horrendous 5400 RPM hard drive.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Go to an Apple store/BestBuy/college campus and hold a 13" MacBook Pro.

Thanks I'll have one next week :D

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

Thanks I'll have one next week :D

Wait, does this mean you're getting the Pro or the Air? :ohdear:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gucci void main posted:

The 13" MBP has a joke of a resolution with a CPU that's offset by a horrendous 5400 RPM hard drive.

Some people think the Air screen makes everything 'too small'.

Some people are severly limited by a 128GB SSD. Good luck dual-booting Windows 7. I personally don't keep 200GB of media on my computer but some people do. You can stick a 1TB drive in the 13" Pro for $89.

Not that the Air isn't a very capable machine - I love mine.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

gucci void main posted:

If you're storing enough job-related poo poo on your computer that you need a large hard drive, you shouldn't be using a 13" MBP but likely a 15" RMBP.

The Air is the best notebook on the market and the CPU difference is irrelevant for most tasks. Again, if you're doing something like video/graphics editing, you should probably be looking at the higher end machines. The 13" MBP has a joke of a resolution with a CPU that's offset by a horrendous 5400 RPM hard drive.

If you need to store a large amount of data, a RMBP really isn't any better than an air. While you are correct that a 15" would be better than a 13" in terms of processing power, you disregard the fact that you can actually upgrade the hard drive (even an SSD) in the standard pros, and even add a second drive if you want to go without an optical drive (which if you're considering an air or retina, you don't care about anyway). The standard pros are much more flexible in terms of customization, and even though you claim the airs are the best notebook on the market, the 13" pro is the top selling apple computer on the market and is for a reason. I still stand by my statement that an air is a poor choice for a persons sole computer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Works fine for me but I do have an external hard drive connected on the USB hub at all times though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

empty baggie posted:

I still stand by my statement that an air is a poor choice for a persons sole computer.

Due to moving and having to leave my desktop behind for the time being, I got an air as my sole computer and it has worked perfectly well. I even use it at work. :v:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I went from a 13" Pro to a 13" Air as my only computer (used for school, work and everything else) and I couldn't be happier.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

gmq posted:

Due to moving and having to leave my desktop behind for the time being, I got an air as my sole computer and it has worked perfectly well. I even use it at work. :v:

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I went from a 13" Pro to a 13" Air as my only computer (used for school, work and everything else) and I couldn't be happier.

Yeah, I really don't know what the gently caress you're talking about. Almost everyone streams everything these days and storage isn't an issue. When I also said that people dealing with large-size files are more likely to have a need for a 15" RMBP, it was because I assume that those sorts of people are working in graphics design (or something similar) where the screen can be of better use. The fact that you can encourage someone to buy any laptop that has a 1280 x 800 resolution screen in what is almost 2013 is frankly just loving stupid. The 11" Air has a better resolution and I would argue it to be better than the 13" model if it didn't have such poor battery life.

Apple has been dragging their feet and should have renamed the Air line to simply "MacBook" at the same time they dropped the plastic model because it is perfect for the every day user.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Wait, does this mean you're getting the Pro or the Air? :ohdear:

Air :frogc00l:. I'd be happy with either one though quite frankly.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 11, 2012

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
This is crazy, I know, but some people really just don't get worked up over the 13" pro's screen. There are other features that may dominate for a user. Of course it could be better, but I don't believe to a casual user it's a deal breaker like some of you think.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

This is crazy, I know, but some people really just don't get worked up over the 13" pro's screen. There are other features that may dominate for a user. Of course it could be better, but I don't believe to a casual user it's a deal breaker like some of you think.

It's also glossy! Glossy is bad! And it's double the price of a PC laptop with an i5 and 4GB RAM! At least the Air competes on price with most other ultrabooks.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Any thoughts about the pricing of the currently available refurb 27" iMacs on store.apple.com? They don't seem like a great deal, but I'm guessing/hoping they come down when the new ones are available next month, but I have no concept of when Apple adjusts these prices.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

canyonero posted:

Any thoughts about the pricing of the currently available refurb 27" iMacs on store.apple.com? They don't seem like a great deal, but I'm guessing/hoping they come down when the new ones are available next month, but I have no concept of when Apple adjusts these prices.

Wait until the new ones ship. The price will go down significantly then. As long as the 2011s can still be bought new (which they can, at least at the brick and mortar Apple stores) the refurbs will be given "this year's model" prices.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As long as the 2011s can still be bought new (which they can, at least at the brick and mortar Apple stores)

We haven't had any iMacs since early October at my store. Apple stopped sending them after the refresh announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

canyonero posted:

I bought one Friday for another guy at work who's still using a 2007 iMac.

It'd be another $400 for the base 27" but I had to buy it by December 1st.