Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
That looks incredible! Good job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think the big reason I haven’t done brisket yet is because briskets are huge and there’s only 2 people in my house to eat it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I. M. Gei posted:

I think the big reason I haven’t done brisket yet is because briskets are huge and there’s only 2 people in my house to eat it.

it freezes well though.

Like slice and serve initially then chop the leftovers and freeze in smaller batches so you can have ready portions for BRISKET HASH which is VERY GOOD

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

Just get a point. You'll have enough for 1 round of leftovers, but that's pretty much it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I. M. Gei posted:

Good way to make friends imo

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

The only thing I can get is not whole brisket so if I get a 4-6lb one it shrinks a good bit and then I get like 2 people dinner and 2 people lunch.

Doo eeet. Brisket and eggs is fan loving tastic.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Brisket sandwiches (on challah) with onion and horseradish.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

brisket breakfast tacos

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Use brisket in your BBQ beans.

Brisket tacos.

Slice off the point before cooking and grind it up to make burgers.

Chopped brisket in tortilla soup.

Simmer some sliced flat in beef broth until it falls apart, then drain and make brisket grilled cheese.

Mac and cheese with chopped brisket.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just basically brisket everything,and pulled pork that stuff you don't. We're done here close the thread

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Imma smoke a lamb leg on Sunday?!
WTF is that about?

Any one else done it?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TheReverend posted:

Imma smoke a lamb leg on Sunday?!
WTF is that about?

Any one else done it?

Smoked lamb goes really well when rubbed with middle eastern seasonings.

Some Ras al Hanout and some urfa/aleppo chilies.

Maybe a little rosemary tied in/on

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Gwaihir posted:

Like slice and serve initially then chop the leftovers and freeze in smaller batches so you can have ready portions for BRISKET HASH which is VERY GOOD

tater_salad posted:

Doo eeet. Brisket and eggs is fan loving tastic.

toplitzin posted:

Brisket sandwiches (on challah) with onion and horseradish.

That Works posted:

brisket breakfast tacos

PhotoKirk posted:

Use brisket in your BBQ beans.

Brisket tacos.

Slice off the point before cooking and grind it up to make burgers.

Chopped brisket in tortilla soup.

Simmer some sliced flat in beef broth until it falls apart, then drain and make brisket grilled cheese.

Mac and cheese with chopped brisket.

These are all really good ideas and I’m totally doing that burger idea. Maybe mix it with a bit of short rib for some steak-y flavor. Mmmmmm. :getin:

Alright, looks like I’m making a brisket this week!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Smoked lamb goes really well when rubbed with middle eastern seasonings.

Some Ras al Hanout and some urfa/aleppo chilies.

Maybe a little rosemary tied in/on

So just dry rub it with some Ras Al Hanout like anything else? Cool, will do.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

TheReverend posted:

So just dry rub it with some Ras Al Hanout like anything else? Cool, will do.

Maybe more of a sprinkle...

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
You can definitely straight up use ras el hangout (or most varieties of it anyway) like a rub. A sprinkle will still be good, but I have never eaten any lamb that was actually overpowered by spices; lamb is strong.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I actually never used Ras before.
It says Moroccan?

I've made spice blends if like cumin, cinnamon, tumeric, and nutmeg before that I thought was Moroccan. Is it similar to that kinda? Pardon my dumbness

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

TheReverend posted:

I actually never used Ras before.
It says Moroccan?

I've made spice blends if like cumin, cinnamon, tumeric, and nutmeg before that I thought was Moroccan. Is it similar to that kinda? Pardon my dumbness

Here's a blend I found on another website

2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I did lamb shanks on a lark last year and I didn't love them. Very interesting flavor, but I wouldn't say good enough for me to want to eat more of it. I assume leg is a better cut of meat? For anyone who has had both, which is better?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

The leg is way more tender.

Shanks are usually braised.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mostly-cooking shanks SV and then finishing on the smoker is apparently a pretty sweet experience, but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So the blower on my Egg’s BBQ Guru DigiQ took a poo poo and died, and today I tried replacing it with the Flame Boss EGG Genius.

This was a mistake. The EGG Genius is a nonfunctional piece of dogshit. It refuses to connect to its smartphone app in any way except during setup, and it just barely does it even then. Weirdly, the Flame Boss branded version of the app works just slightly better with it than the Big Green Egg branded version, but it doesn’t connect to either one. Some googling tells me this is a pretty common problem, and unfortunately it’s not one that I can fix tonight.

So while I attempt to set up my Egg to smoke a brisket overnight using nothing but good old fashioned manual temp control, I turn to this thread for DigiQ replacement recommendations. Sadly, Big Green Egg doesn’t seem to sell the BGE branded DigiQ anymore, but surely there’s something out there that’s compatible with an Egg and actually works.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Brisket went on the Egg about 15 minutes ago, and everything seems to be okay so far. I’ll probably check it once every hour or two unless something goes horribly wrong. Hopefully it’ll be ready before 4 PM tomorrow.

I trimmed off the point and plan to grind it with a couple different cuts of steak to make enough burgers to last us like two or three days. I also saved the fat to make something called “Brisket Butter”. Gonna be a fun time :getin:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I got my Komodo a week or so ago and am finally getting to use it that the weather is cooperating and I'm back from vacation; mostly just grilling purposes so far.

BUT ahead of me I've got some work from home days and telework days; so longer cooks ahead.

I've already got a brisket, pork shoulder, and ribs planned.

Unfortunately the nearest GOOD butcher is about an hour drive from me. What else should I pick up when I make the drive this Saturday?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m in Hour 9 of my brisket smoke and everything is going spectacularly. I’m having a lot less trouble controlling and maintaining my temperature than I was expecting, and the brisket appears to be right on schedule. Hopefully I’ll be able to pull it around 2 PM at the latest.

EDIT: Hour 13. Brisket is humming along at 187° and should be ready to pull soon. I’ve got my cooler and butcher paper on standby.

EDIT 2: Hour 14, 195°, almost done! :dance:

EDIT 3: Pulled brisket 1 hour ago at 15 hours and 204°. It’s wrapped and sitting in the cooler now.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 16, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Brisket pics

Not much of a smoke ring, which bums me out, but it’s tender and juicy as ALL gently caress and tastes absolutely incredible so I guess I can’t complain.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This thread makes me want to smoke meats every drat day.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I just need a cheap source for brisket.

I. M. Gei posted:

Brisket pics

Looks awesome!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Got up at 4:30 this morning to get the brisket on; first attempt at one ever (on a new Kamodo at that)

Had a little bit of trouble getting the temp dialed in but I'm stting super solid at 230F right now (I overshot slightly up to about 240 initially, but got it down real quickly).

I'm a little nervous about cooking too quickly; I'm about 2hrs in and meat temp is already at 150F which seems somewhat quick to me; although it's definitely tapered off a lot.

Hopefully I dont totally gently caress this up and flush $30+ in brisket down the drain

Edit: I think I got it on early enough that I'm not going to crutch though.

Edit 2: 4:45hr in now and have hit the stall at 9:45am. Thinking I am definitely on track for a 5pm eat window - excite

Edit3: 180F coming along nicely

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 18, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

When smoking don't be fooled by that quick ramp up at the beginning. As your temp rises you have 2 things going against you.

1. Temperature Delta is smaller. When your smoker is 225 heating up meat to 100° is really easy. Because you have a huge difference in temp. When you're at 180° you only have 50° working for you.

2. The stall, at 180ish the meat stalls and this can take a long rear end time, I've nee stupid and backed off some temp thinking it's going to quickly and then pay for it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I. M. Gei posted:

Brisket pics

Not much of a smoke ring, which bums me out, but it’s tender and juicy as ALL gently caress and tastes absolutely incredible so I guess I can’t complain.

You're doing the lord's work

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'm so jealous of you Americans and your cheap brisket. Up here, a whole standard grade (Canada AA, equivalent to Select, I think) packer is gonna cost me at least $70. Prime, well, gently caress.

Today I'm heading to the cottage to smoke some armadillo eggs, and then back ribs tomorrow.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm so jealous of you Americans and your cheap brisket. Up here, a whole standard grade (Canada AA, equivalent to Select, I think) packer is gonna cost me at least $70. Prime, well, gently caress.

Today I'm heading to the cottage to smoke some armadillo eggs, and then back ribs tomorrow.

Costco Business centers have whole packers at a great price. Of course you need to live near one. The closest one to me is 13 hours away. I wish regular Costcos started carrying them as well.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Smoked armadillo eggs? Sounds Texas as gently caress.

Fake edit: googled this and was glad I did

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Brisket where I am is like $7 per lb and I am American.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

8hr 45min on the brisket and at 183F now.

Planning to eat between 5-6 EST. So I've got 3-3.5hrs left and hopefully enough time left.

Feeling a little nervous though

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Walked posted:

8hr 45min on the brisket and at 183F now.

Planning to eat between 5-6 EST. So I've got 3-3.5hrs left and hopefully enough time left.

Feeling a little nervous though

xsf421 posted:

Cooking brisket always takes 25-50% more time than you budgeted, no matter how generously you budget time.

This is just a fact of life smoking meats, you learn to tolerate late dinners.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

xsf421 posted:

This is just a fact of life smoking meats, you learn to tolerate late dinners.

Ha - I heeded that advice! If you look back I was originally planning to start at 630-7am for the same eat time (thank gently caress I didn't!!)

I just hit 195 and a probe check is close to done. I should be done in time. Huzzah.

Waking up at 4:30 was a good move

Edit: I have a daughter who doesn't really tolerate late dinners too well - she has a developmental delay - so schedule rigidity is pretty important. But looks like we are gonna be ok here :woop:

Walked fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 18, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

xsf421 posted:

Cooking brisket always takes 25-50% more time than you budgeted, no matter how generously you budget time.

Yup. I did a couple of pastramis yesterday, 20F warmer out than last time, took almost 2h longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

First brisket; 10hrs exactly.
6lbs; cooked at 230F, no crutch. Pulled at approx 200F

It's certainly not perfect; but it sure as poo poo smells good.

Currently wrapped in towels in a cooler waiting on eatin time