Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Speaking of I set up this stand and am headed out this afternoon to pick up a 29G tank, but I'm really paranoid about the lack of a flat surface on top and am heavily considering getting a piece of plywood or something as a table surface. I don't really want to do the effort of cutting, sanding, and staining a piece to look good but if I don't do it know I'll kick myself later if something happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

On a standard glass tank all of the weight is supported by the outside trim, the glass panel on the bottom isn't actually flush. Almost all manufacturer stands are designed that same way.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I plan on emptying the tanks as far as they can go and carry them straight to a truck bed and right to the new place. That's a good idea with the plywood, I'm have to make sure I have some laying around the house for the move.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

On a standard glass tank all of the weight is supported by the outside trim, the glass panel on the bottom isn't actually flush. Almost all manufacturer stands are designed that same way.

Unless it's rimless in which case you need a plywood top or similar.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've had a bad few days, as a result some much needed tank maintenance and water changing is sliding off schedule and into the next available time slot. I have put off feeding the fish for a couple of days as a stop gap, does this make short term sense? Less food, less waste?

Hoping to get some peace and some time to myself and do some catching up tomorrow.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I haven't done it myself, but one of the things I was told about moving a planted tank is to be mindful of the substrate compacting due to shuffling and vibrations, which could crush the roots and damage the plants. One of the guys at my fish store said he lost 3/4 of the plants and pretty much had to start over with what was left. Just something to be mindful of.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I'm curious if should up root my plants and replant them after the move in that case. I use gravel rocks for substrate so I'm not sure how much that compacts.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm a relative newbie to aquarium keeping, but I'm having some trouble with my group dynamics. When I first got a tank and cycled it, I got a group of all female fish, plus some ungenderable cory cats, and was told female fish would make for a more peaceful tank. I had a balloon-belly molly, two fancy guppies, and two bettas. About six months in, one of the bettas has grown huge and is antagonizing the others in the tank. Just tonight, I found the smaller betta nearly dead, all her fins chewed off. I separated her from the group but she'll probably die by tomorrow. I suspect the other betta, but the larger fancy guppy and the molly have been nipping at one another as well. Are female bettas just as violent as their male counterparts? Is another one of the fish to blame?

I'm legit upset about this, but the fact that there's a catfight in the fishtank is too good to pass up.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Females are better to have in larger groups to spread aggression.

How big is the tank?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its usually recommended female bettas be kept in at least a group of 4 in a 10 gal tank with lots of cover to diffuse aggression and give them a place to hide if others are being aggressive

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Ah. It's a 20L, with little hiding places scattered around. I guess I'll have to get more fish.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If its just 20L, yeah, stick with your more peaceful fish and a solo female betta should be okay. How many cories are there?

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

3 cories. They've been the chillest of the bunch, now that I think about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh man. I got my 29G tank today. Got over the huge bill of all the parts and everything, spent about 6 hours working on setting it up. Ended up getting what I think is a VERY good version of this vision of an aquascape I had in my head for almost a year. I added about 8G of water for the plants I planted and I'm gonna let everything settle overnight and the driftwood absorb enough water to settle, and then fix up what got disrupted. Then carefully try and add 20 more gallons of water very, very slowly so as not to ruin everything. I'm very excited. It feels like going to bed on Christmas Eve.

And its so big. Like I know the size in my head and the numbers and lifting it but just putting the items in it that take up an entire 10G tank but look almost small in this. I'm really excited to have my first true, and hopefully coexistent and stable, community tank.

Almost enough to make me forget about my sick betta. I'm really worried about him. I bought a medium sized temporary tank and put him in there with some "betta fix" medicine. And I dumped his whole 5 G tank (when he gets healthy I plan to move him to the cleaned out 10G). I'm hoping if I quarantine him and dose him for awhile he'll get better. Its not just the sore at this stage. His fins look kind of rough and he seems way out of character, lackadasical, and sometimes just lies down on his side and was spending all his time resting on the heater. I'm really worried about the guy.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 18, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is the temp too low for him? Our Betta perked up with a higher tank temp. Increasing the temp can obviously be less than ideal depending on what's going on with him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

When he was in the 5g I was treating with water changes, salt, and upping the temp. That did seem to help his behavior a bit but the infection/sore looked like it was getting worse. So I moved him to smaller temp hospital bed (with his favorite toy to keep him comfort) so I could get him away from any bacteria or whatever and get a more concentrated usage of the med but I'm not sure the little heater I put in there is working right. It's in the safe zone but if it drops I'll try putting in the bigger one in. Just worried it might be too big/strong. Might finish cleaning out the 5g and use that as a quarantine and just use the extra medicine. Just have to figure out the best way to make sure it's clean.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Getting prepared to bleach dip my anubia. Anyone done this before? Does this video seem more or less on target?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKBfLPhKIgo

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I wanna switch to a canister filter, how would I do that? Do I need holes drilled for the piping or?

Would I run the canister filter alongside my HOB for a while? How would I know its cycled?

Also I'm moving in 8-10 months and I am at a loss for how I'd do it with my 75 gallon

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

You dont need to do any drilling for a hang on back. I used this video by john wick when setting up my cyclinder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VaDMxWyrc8

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So would I need a power head for flow? I have bamboo shrimp who need a current

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The return from the canister will provide plenty of flow provided you get an appropriate sized canister for your tank.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Enos Cabell posted:

The return from the canister will provide plenty of flow provided you get an appropriate sized canister for your tank.

I wanna get a 250 gallon filter for a 75, unless this is bad? I wanna overfilter a lot.

I also plan on upgrading to a 250 in a few years

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Phi230 posted:

I wanna get a 250 gallon filter for a 75, unless this is bad? I wanna overfilter a lot

Do you have livestock in the tank that are not going to do well with way higher flow than normal?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

Do you have livestock in the tank that are not going to do well with way higher flow than normal?

I have:

Kuhli loaches
Glass catfish
Pearl gourami
Dwarf gourami
Cory catfish
Bamboo shrimp
Blue velvet shrimp
Neon tetra
Snails

To my very limited knowledge none of these fish should have issues

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The intake/output would be mounted on the side, facing lengthwise through the tank because right now I'm having issues with lack of flow across the tank, and I don't have the option of mounting a second HOB to the side

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Got some time in the garage woodshop tonight to start on the stand for my 50g Reef.  Had to square up my mitre gauge but got everything cut, and started the joinery with my dowel jig.

Yes my shop is that messy.  Shut up.

The great thing about a joinery jig is that you can dry fit the entire assembly without using any glue and it will hold together.

Top top frame of the stand dry fitted:

The overall frame is 1" over the tank dimensions in both length and width just in case I decide to put a moulding around the tank bottom.

A good start but there is a lot more to do:

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Getting prepared to bleach dip my anubia. Anyone done this before? Does this video seem more or less on target?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKBfLPhKIgo

Yeah this seems about right to me. I haven't bleached plants and the end result has been hydra, chasing dragonfly nymphs out of my quarantine tank, and the odd snail. I got a free blond snail once which I wasn't upset about at all, they're a soft water dwelling native species. Bleaching is a good option if you don't have room to quarantine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stoca Zola posted:

Yeah this seems about right to me. I haven't bleached plants and the end result has been hydra, chasing dragonfly nymphs out of my quarantine tank, and the odd snail. I got a free blond snail once which I wasn't upset about at all, they're a soft water dwelling native species. Bleaching is a good option if you don't have room to quarantine.

For me it was just some BBA on the leaves that I noticed. I think I'm done now, gonna replace the anubia into the tank.

e: Noticed there was still some BBA on the leaves - not sure if it's there dead or alive so I just added another anubia that I had in a vase and I'm happy with it.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 20, 2019

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
I finally got my bargain $30 tank and stand filled and started cycling it the other day. Have gone fairly "budget" for this setup trying to keep costs down seeing as the wife hates even having the 70 litre tank in the house and now I've gone and put a 200 litre tank in my study.

Started with a basic pine stand like this

Knocked out some of the shelving to fit the filter, gave it a plywood wrap on the front and sides, made it so the front just pops off to give access to the filter & heater. Quick paint job and I think that's not bad for a budget build.

Got some crypts & java fern I'm grabbing tonight from someone shutting down their tank from the local facebook group, plus some bundles of java moss and subwassertang moss I'm getting cheap. Then off to the LFS to grab some more plants once I see what I'll need after that. Pretty happy with how it's all turning out

*edit Imgur not working for some reason? e* Ok, need to manually add a .jpg when using imgur bbcode now

KTS fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 20, 2019

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Spent another couple of hours in the garage tonight.

Here is the stand base, the supports in the middle will hold a sunken plywood shelf for the sump:

The legs, like the rest of the carcass, are all aligned and joined with dowels:

Here is the full stand dry fitted. Everything just needs to be dressed if it's not completely square, then glued.

In total the assembly is held together with 144 precision drilled 1&1/2" x 3/8 " fluted hardwood dowels. You could comfortably park your car on it.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
I'm more jealous of your work space. I'm currently building a new cabinet for my virtual pinball and making do with some saw horses and an MDF board as my work space in the garage as I try and cut & join all my panels together with tools everywhere on the floor. Nice work with the stand, looking fantastic

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

And here I was all proud for using pocket screws. That looks awesome dude!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm envious of your carpentry skills and relieved I didn't foolishly attempt to build my own stand for my new, 300lb tank. It would not have gone well.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

I sacrificed parking my cars in the garage despite -40 temps so I could have a workspace. I really, really, need to tidy and insulate it so I can use it year round. I keep adding new projects though, and this fall I hope to finally build a workbench.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TKIY posted:

I sacrificed parking my cars in the garage despite -40 temps so I could have a workspace. I really, really, need to tidy and insulate it so I can use it year round. I keep adding new projects though, and this fall I hope to finally build a workbench.

Sorry what area of the world do you live where it's currently -40? Presumably F but still that's nuts.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry what area of the world do you live where it's currently -40? Presumably F but still that's nuts.

Well not currently but in the winter. I'm in Winnipeg. We do +40 to -40 Celsius. It's a bit poo poo at times.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

TKIY posted:

I sacrificed parking my cars in the garage despite -40 temps so I could have a workspace.

As a fellow cold-winter-haver, NEVER give up parking in the garage. Put your workshop in the basement or build a shed out back or something, but if you have a garage, getting into a freezing cold car in the winter is slapping your own self in the face.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ChickenMedium posted:

As a fellow cold-winter-haver, NEVER give up parking in the garage. Put your workshop in the basement or build a shed out back or something, but if you have a garage, getting into a freezing cold car in the winter is slapping your own self in the face.

Yeah the basement would be nice but the kids use that space, and dust collection is never good enough.

I'd like to get into a house with a bigger yard and build a dedicated shop but :shepspends:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I used Caribsea Super Natural Aquarium Sand in my new tank, loved how it looked to start, but a few days in I think I messed up. Its kind of gotten everywhere and on top of everything and there's a lot of hairy filmy clear algae looking stuff, especially on the driftwood. I'm not really sure what to make of this. Its the first time I've used something other than soil as a substrate and the first time I didn't top it with gravel. Maybe I'm just experiencing the growing pains and I need nothing more than a light vacuuming and water change. Maybe I didn't rinse it well enough. But its a brand new and quick problem on a tank I was VERY excited about.

The internet suggest I might be experiencing a "diatom bloom"? But it also really seems to support the theory that I just didn't do a good enough job rinsing the sand.

The other things I've done different with this tank are kickstart the cycling with Stability and giving a daily dose of liquid CO2 booster. I was trying to get this tank going quick and do better with my plants but maybe that helped algae along?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Isn't that stuff on the driftwood is pretty normal? I think it's a bacterial bloom, bacteria feeding on stuff the poo poo on the surface of the wood or something. I had something similar. Are you doing daily water changes right now? Assuming there is no livestock are you adding ammonia to the tank to help it cycle?

I wouldn't do CO2 booster stuff but I know there are split opinions on this.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 21, 2019