Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Is it the weird armor with HP regen though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

Is it the weird armor with HP regen though?

There is an item you probably picked up at some point as well as this spell: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Chameleon#.U2cuIFdWjqI

gameplay spoilers at that url, but it has a sick loving gif

VVV my bad, edgeponyworth

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh no, I'm talking about this:

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Barrel#.U2ctxvlNF8I

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Chomp8645 posted:

I hate to tell you this but nobody is gonna give you sympathy because you're a WoW reject sperging out about MY STAFF. Just move on and stop whining about it.

I did, hence posting the results.
I'm a little boggled as to why they bothered including a midgame sorcery staff that never ever drops, but it is my right to cry about Dark Souls in the Dark Souls thread, buddy.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I've honest-to-god got a Lizard Staff on me as we speak :(

Since I've not even done Undead Purgatory yet, I dont think it dropped there unless it was pre-NG+. And since I got that boss 2nd try, that seems even more unlikely!

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I got some key from an elevator in Dranglaic and then searched the entirety of the castle for a place to use it. Then I found it was right under the elevator I went up to get it in the first place. :suicide:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So currently at shaded ruins on my dual fists sunbro, and yeah fighting these guys with magic (or in this case infused fists) is miserable. However, I found out something that shocked me; the lionmen have more than one attack. Despite how many times I've foguht them, I've only seen them use one attack. However one just randomly did a 3 hit combo ending with a sick jump slash. I genuinely thought they were incapable of doing anything other than lazily swinging their axe around.

Chomp8645 posted:

I hate to tell you this but nobody is gonna give you sympathy because you're a WoW reject sperging out about MY STAFF. Just move on and stop whining about it.

People need to stop getting mad over harmless posting.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
Is there any way to ignore the messages people drop right in front of illusion walls? They make it impossible to trigger the wall.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Mariposa posted:

Is there any way to ignore the messages people drop right in front of illusion walls? They make it impossible to trigger the wall.

Triggering walls takes priority. If the wall doesn't trigger, the message is fake.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mariposa posted:

They don't actually. If there is an invisible wall pressing the use button in front of it will always override the "Read" prompt, so if you see a message and no wall opens it's a lie.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

So currently at shaded ruins on my dual fists sunbro, and yeah fighting these guys with magic (or in this case infused fists) is miserable. However, I found out something that shocked me; the lionmen have more than one attack. Despite how many times I've foguht them, I've only seen them use one attack. However one just randomly did a 3 hit combo ending with a sick jump slash. I genuinely thought they were incapable of doing anything other than lazily swinging their axe around.

Was it the blonde dude in the basement of the ruins? That fucker can rock my poo poo with a 3-hit combo IIRC. Its only him who I've seen do it though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mariposa posted:

Spoiler; people just place those things down sometimes. And upvote them. :ssh:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Was it the blonde dude in the basement of the ruins? That fucker can rock my poo poo with a 3-hit combo IIRC. Its only him who I've seen do it though.

The regular Warriors have three attacks that I'm aware of;
- Regular swipe
- Swipe and then a weird leaping kick to the side
- Two swipes and then a leap attack

No idea how to reliably trigger the leap but the kick comes out all the time when you pull them back into the bridge area and fight them solo.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

VVV

I swear it happened but that was on PS3

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cerepol posted:

He's talking about a legitimate issue where you can't activate the wall because you keep activating the message instead.

And we're telling you it's literally impossible for that to happen.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

I saw it once from the guy who drops the key. Wandering across that tree bridge somehow confused him and except for the that attack he kept his shield up almost all the time. And technically their single swipe has two variations; they can do it from right-to-left or left-to-right so if you're trying to roll under it that varies it up very slightly.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Orv posted:

And we're telling you it's literally impossible for that to happen.

I believed all three of you who replied, I just considered that I was being dumb in the first place.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Is there any way to deal with the fire salamanders other than poison arrows? Dudes are the most ridiculous enemies in the game, hands down.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Apparition posted:

Is there any way to deal with the fire salamanders other than poison arrows? Dudes are the most ridiculous enemies in the game, hands down.

You should have seen them pre-patch. Now they're manageable in melee if you're tanky enough. Poison and sniping is probably the easiest way, assuming you're not on a mage build. Could also just run past all but the one blocking the way and snag the loot.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you learn their very subtle tells, fighting them in melee is manageable. You have to dodge just before they lunge so you still have enough i frames to avoid the attack. Note however that if their model doesn't push you away and you instead get caught on it, you're going to take damage unless your dodge was perfect and you have a lot of agility. If you do, hilarious poo poo happens when you get stuck on their model but aren't knocked back so the game doesn't know what to do. That's how I ended up riding on top of them a few times.

The real best way to deal with the salamanders is to just ignore them though. Despite teasing you from the very early game and being hard as gently caress, the loot they guard isn't even great. The Rebel Greatshield is the only thing of any worth and its only valuable for specific characters. Everything else isn't worth the effort unless you really want a flame quartz ring +1.

EDIT: I just got eaten by a mimic because I was trying to read the message in front of it :suicide:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 5, 2014

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The Rebel Greatshield is basically the absolute most hilarious scrubbuster in PVP though so there's that.

Magic? Miracles? Hexes? Nah son, get the gently caress out of here. Now let me hit you with my Greatmoon Bluesword.

Speaking of which, that sword is kind of hilariously terrible. Benhart is the fuckin' man for using it and an even better Solaire parallel once you learn just how astonishingly bad it is in like every single way (including having the worst durability out of any weapon I've used, at all)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
So far I made it to Drangleic Castle on my second character, a strength-based one using a Bastard Sword +10. I'm honestly surprised at how good a weapon it is. I haven't infused it or anything yet. Are there any other swords with the same moveset as it? It's quick, it's powerful and it doesn't leave you wide open nor does it 'bounce' off walls.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Fereydun posted:

The Rebel Greatshield is basically the absolute most hilarious scrubbuster in PVP though so there's that.

Magic? Miracles? Hexes? Nah son, get the gently caress out of here. Now let me hit you with my Greatmoon Bluesword.

Speaking of which, that sword is kind of hilariously terrible. Benhart is the fuckin' man for using it and an even better Solaire parallel once you learn just how astonishingly bad it is in like every single way (including having the worst durability out of any weapon I've used, at all)

At least with Solaire it said that it was well-crafted but otherwise unremarkable. Benhart's outright says it a lifeless weapon so he's really putting some work into it to get results.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does anyone remember where you get the key for the map room building in Majula? I had it in my first playthrough but I can't remember where I found it now :(

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So is it normal when you're in the pilgrims of the dark to go straight to darklurker right after finishing the third chasm? 'Cause I did, and then immediately died and I'm still on the first rank of the covenant.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

keyframe posted:

Does anyone remember where you get the key for the map room building in Majula? I had it in my first playthrough but I can't remember where I found it now :(

The guy is in the caves in the Forest of Giants, down the ladder and outside from the cardinal tower bonfire.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So far I made it to Drangleic Castle on my second character, a strength-based one using a Bastard Sword +10. I'm honestly surprised at how good a weapon it is. I haven't infused it or anything yet. Are there any other swords with the same moveset as it? It's quick, it's powerful and it doesn't leave you wide open nor does it 'bounce' off walls.

There's a mastodon Greatsword in the castle that's good for strength dudes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

So is it normal when you're in the pilgrims of the dark to go straight to darklurker right after finishing the third chasm? 'Cause I did, and then immediately died and I'm still on the first rank of the covenant.

It is. Once you've done all three doing any one of them successfully will drop you into the Darklurker.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Fereydun posted:

See, this game thinks it's clever by having Benhart first show up unable to pass a gate and using the "quite a pickle" line early on to trick us into thinking he'll be our Siegmeyer, but when ya think about it he was our Solaire this whole time. :buddy:

In the meantime the real Siegmeyer parallel is Lucatiel by virtue of being the complete and utter opposite of everything he is. Woman instead of man, slick but slightly off-putting armor instead of doofy but loveable armor, constantly mopey about her circumstances rather than blithely intent on adventure without a care for the harshness of fate, and when you meet their relative, they're straight up just trying to kill you rather than being nice.

Also I'm pretty sure that Siegmeyer would float in water, even fully armored. Anyone who gets Lucatiel along in No Man's Wharf knows all too well that water is her greatest nemesis.

And clearly all of this was FROM's intent. See now I got some good Dark Souls fan logic going here.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

chaos rhames posted:

There's a mastodon Greatsword in the castle that's good for strength dudes.
It's basically categorically better than the Bastard Sword or Claymore while having the same moveset. A straight upgrade, no point in using any of the other ones once you have it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
If the PvP rewards table over at wikidot is to be believed, I just took down a level 280 ratbro at level 65; 6/6 STR/DEX 5/5 INT/FTH. Daggers and poison are so good.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 5, 2014

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Mazed posted:

See, this game thinks it's clever by having Benhart first show up unable to pass a gate and using the "quite a pickle" line early on to trick us into thinking he'll be our Siegmeyer, but when ya think about it he was our Solaire this whole time. :buddy:

And clearly all of this was FROM's intent. See now I got some good Dark Souls fan logic going here.

That's some freshman english major poo poo right there. Good work.

Now make it marxist.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tracula posted:

At least with Solaire it said that it was well-crafted but otherwise unremarkable. Benhart's outright says it a lifeless weapon so he's really putting some work into it to get results.

One of my first PvP fights in this game was against a guy who kept pulling out Benhart's sword. He didn't actually use it, he would just swap to it from across the room and then swap back after a few second. It was if he was trying to intimidate me by saying he has this big scary sword so I better not gently caress with him! Of course, I knew he just killed Benhart to get it so I was hardly impressed.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Cardiovorax posted:

It's basically categorically better than the Bastard Sword or Claymore while having the same moveset. A straight upgrade, no point in using any of the other ones once you have it.

How's the Mastodon infused with Lightning on a Faith build, compared to say the Bastard/Claymore/Defender greatswords also infused?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Cardiovorax posted:

It has significantly higher requirements so if you're not actually doing a str build the Claymore or Bastard Sword are superior for lower level hybrid builds.

e: The Lightning Defender's GS is pretty much the ultimate king of faith weapons, so comparing it to Mastodon/Basard/Claymore is kind of unfair.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Kanos posted:

It has significantly higher requirements so if you're not actually doing a str build the Claymore or Bastard Sword are superior for lower level hybrid builds.

e: The Lightning Defender's GS is pretty much the ultimate king of faith weapons, so comparing it to Mastodon/Basard/Claymore is kind of unfair.

Plus, you can powerstance Defender's/Bastard/Claymores a lot easier! :eng101:

Edit: ^^ Ah, good to know then.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Artificer posted:

How's the Mastodon infused with Lightning on a Faith build, compared to say the Bastard/Claymore/Defender greatswords also infused?
Slightly worse than an uninfused one assuming you have equal Strength and Faith. Only about 30 points worth, though, and probably better on vulnerable enemies.

Kanos posted:

That's kind of obvious. Assuming you can use it, though, it's simply better.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Slightly worse than an uninfused one assuming you have equal Strength and Faith. Only about 30 points worth, though, and probably better on vulnerable enemies.

That's kind of obvious. Assuming you can use it, though, it's simply better.

Yeah, I can use it. I have 30 Str, 18 dex, and 45 faith. Not sure which is better but I'm currently going for the Defender's. :v:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I should really just give up on trying to be good at PvP, lag makes it no fun at all.

Everyone just seems to use homing stuff and great swords to negate the half a second of lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Alright smart people, tell me what the hell I should be doing with my character.

I feel like I have no idea what I'm levelling up right now, since currently I have everything I want. Do I need more HP? More endurance? Should I give magic a shot? The only reason I have both 8 FTH and INT was to talk to the Hexer dude, which is pointless in retrospect since I don't really feel like being a Hexer on this playthrough. I'm currently up to Earthen Peak, and I've just been using the Mace or Falchion as my main weapons. My main ranged option so far has just been throwing knives, with very very rarely the bow, and sometimes a bit of Fireball or Lingering Flame (which for some reason I bought two of).
I was thinking of sunbroing until I got the Sun Sword and then using that. I picked the Falchion for its bleediness, but I haven't really noticed it. I was considering using the Dragonrider Twinblade, but since I don't have access to Poison infusing yet the cool looks of it don't outweigh the costs of not having a shield at the ready.

I was fiddling a bit with the Old Royal Greatsword, but it felt like I wasn't getting as much bang for my buck as I was with the falchion, since the greatsword's damage wasn't so great, and the slow swings meant that if I ever wanted to apply bleed, it would take way too long.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 5, 2014