Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm a political prisoner, claims the man booked for going 20 over

speed limits are just arbitrary revenue generators

i can't drive 55, it might be unsafe

speed doesn't kill, stopping does, he says completely unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

infernal machines posted:

speed doesn't kill, stopping does, he says completely unironically

this is true, the fall doesn't kill you it's the sudden stop

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Progressive JPEG posted:

I see people doing that around blind corners on 84 all the time

one dies just about every weekend :)

yeah, I don't do it around blind corners cause I'm not an idiot with a death with
wish. in fact once I was riding 84 and came across that exact type of accident but in reverse -- the car coming the other way had crossed the line around the turn and the motorcyclist swerved just enough to miss a head on collision, but still dumped the bike. bad news.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, I don't do it around blind corners cause I'm not an idiot with a death with
wish. in fact once I was riding 84 and came across that exact type of accident but in reverse -- the car coming the other way had crossed the line around the turn and the motorcyclist swerved just enough to miss a head on collision, but still dumped the bike. bad news.

Speed has no affect on safety, so I'm sure this would have caused an accident at 25mph or at 90mph.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Citizen Tayne posted:

Speed has no affect on safety, so I'm sure this would have caused an accident at 25mph or at 90mph.

nice title, i guess you sufficiently angered the 'mech

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I bet it wasn't fishmech, but still lol @ the title

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao

Apr 7, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

nice title, i guess you sufficiently angered the 'mech

lmao it was definitely fishmech, I asked him why he was so salty about two hours ago

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
somebody made a powerful enemy today

Apr 7, 2003

More like a powerful enema

Apr 7, 2003

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

greenpos, tori? ugh.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

nice font size, gramma

Apr 7, 2003

That's from my iPhone

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Go on and write me up for one twenty five
Post my face, wanted dead or alive
Take my license, all that jive

I
Can't
Drive

FIFTY-FIVE

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
lol @ the last few pages.

Apr 7, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Dislike button posted:

"Honey you're going so fast, it's scaring me please slow down!"

"Trust me babe, I'm a computer programmer. Top 50 bs cs." *puffs ecig and accelerate*

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Smythe posted:

lol @ the last few pages.

I saw there was a bunch and assumed that it either should not read them or really really should read them

I didn't read them tho

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i made myself another lovely old motorcycle by putting all of the spare CB350 parts sitting around here onto the rolling frame of an old parts bike i found stored in the back of the garage. engine runs pretty smooth. i didn't have any mufflers tho so it sounds like armageddon. i am sure the neighbors appreciate this. anyway it's a loving blast

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Valvetronic explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKfcV7hITYI

:dogbutton:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wow! 10% extra fuel efficiency, and all you need is like 150 extra moving parts and a bunch of electric motors in the top of the engine? And an external vacuum pump to drive the power brakes, of course.

It's mechanically impressive, but Valvetronic is going to be one of those uselessly complex intermediate technologies that gets thrown out as soon as fully electric valves become possible.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Sagebrush posted:

Wow! 10% extra fuel efficiency, and all you need is like 150 extra moving parts and a bunch of electric motors in the top of the engine? And an external vacuum pump to drive the power brakes, of course.

divert funding from trying to wring more out of the towel of fuel efficiency into EV development so that it's battery -> controller -> motor

I don't know why all the manufacturers are focusing on the consumer market where there's shittons of heavy-duty fleet vehicles that chug tens of thousands of dollars in fuel a year doing stop-and-go driving but don't travel more than 120 miles/day (see: construction/trash pickup/delivery vehicles, etc.)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jimmy Carter posted:

divert funding from trying to wring more out of the towel of fuel efficiency into EV development so that it's battery -> controller -> motor

I don't know why all the manufacturers are focusing on the consumer market where there's shittons of heavy-duty fleet vehicles that chug tens of thousands of dollars in fuel a year doing stop-and-go driving but don't travel more than 120 miles/day (see: construction/trash pickup/delivery vehicles, etc.)

i think they are, it's just not as visible since they don't need to have ads every commercial break

such as hydraulic accumulators for stop and go trucks like ups or trash collectors. also engine manufacturers like cummins are always chasing better efficiency

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Wow! 10% extra fuel efficiency, and all you need is like 150 extra moving parts and a bunch of electric motors in the top of the engine?

bmw doesn't ship cars with turn signals so that helps save parts

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

It's mechanically impressive, but Valvetronic is going to be one of those uselessly complex intermediate technologies that gets thrown out as soon as fully electric valves become possible.

this is literally why i specifically purchased a 1997 540i. the 1996 and older models have Nikasil cylinder liners and ate poo poo in the 90s and are worthless. the 98 and newers have VANOS which gives you an amazing 3% hp and 5% torque boost above 5000 rpm, at the cost of replacing $875 of parts over two full days' work every 50k miles.

4 doors
6 gears
8 cylinders
12 speakers
16 way adjustable seat
20 miles per gallon
24 hours each day you want to hop in and drive
28 days later it'll probably get you away from zombies
32 valves

thats as far as i can go

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

0 doors
0 speakers
0 way adjustable seat
2 cylinders
4 seconds to 60mph
5 gears
6 valves
50 miles per gallon
340 hp/ton

all i crave is the raw gay horsepower of a motorcycle

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
100000000 parts you are now comprised of scattered across the road

RIP freckles, thought of a oil patch on the road and died

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
btw seriously 50mpg? is it hosed up or something?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nah, for a 650cc carbureted bike ridden hard that's about right. i can just squeeze 160 miles out of a 2.8 gallon tank, so not quite 60.

little bikes with modern fuel injection can get 80-100 if you ride them kindly. you won't see over 100 until you get to like 50cc moped territory though.

e: though my old 350 is officially rated by honda as getting 110 miles per gallon*

*5th gear, 35mph

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My friend used to own a 91 CRX-hf with the metal removed from the bumper and a Turbo B16 running 20lbs of boost.

That car was by far the scariest thing I ever drove.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ratbert90 posted:

My friend used to own a 91 CRX-hf with the metal removed from the bumper and a Turbo B16 running 20lbs of boost.

That car was by far the scariest thing I ever drove.

especially since the turbo came on at about 4k with the quickness of a light switch id wager

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

especially since the turbo came on at about 4k with the quickness of a light switch id wager

drat straight. It had beefy cams in it as well, along with titanium springs/valves, revved to 10k.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

nah, for a 650cc carbureted bike ridden hard that's about right. i can just squeeze 160 miles out of a 2.8 gallon tank, so not quite 60.

little bikes with modern fuel injection can get 80-100 if you ride them kindly. you won't see over 100 until you get to like 50cc moped territory though.

e: though my old 350 is officially rated by honda as getting 110 miles per gallon*

*5th gear, 35mph

lmfao what is the point you can get a modern car that can get 50mpg easy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

lmfao what is the point you can get a modern car that can get 50mpg easy

according to fueleconomy.gov there are two cars sold in the USA in 2016 that get more than 50 miles per gallon combined cycle (not counting electric cars):

2016 Toyota Prius
2016 Toyota Prius C

you're right, a lot of people are cross-shopping priuses and motorcycles

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh not counting electric cars, convenient. Im sure nobody cross shops teslas and crotch rockets

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the best rated electric car on the site, the bmw i3, gets 126 mpg-e. the zero model SR electric motorcycle, which will beat a tesla in ludicrous mode in the quarter mile, gets 475 mpg-e.

in any case i can't think of any motorcyclist who gives a poo poo about fuel economy. my bikes don't even have gas gauges.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 25, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well yeah, motorcyclists can afford to run out of gas. its not a big hit to society. oh darn the fry cook's gonna be late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

huh, that's odd. i thought colorado only used sand on their roads, but i'm detecting a massive volume of salt coming from that direction

• Locked thread