Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I have literally never heard an English speaker say "I'm going to my bed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

rydiafan posted:

I have literally never heard an English speaker say "I'm going to my bed".

They’re saying I’m going to my bread.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

So this is quite mild really. I was look at the results of a survey of a different grammars over the UK and I have just discovered that most people don't say 'I'm going to my bed' they say 'I'm going to bed' loads of the other ones I could really accept but surely everyone says 'I'm going to my bed'

In the US but I don't think I've ever referenced my bed that way unless it was framed in the context of another bed being involved. Like if I've stayed in a hotel I would say something like "I can't wait to sleep in my bed tonight". If I'm sitting at home and I tell someone I'm going to sleep, I would say "I'm going to bed".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
e:

Joey Freshwater posted:

In the US but I don't think I've ever referenced my bed that way unless it was framed in the context of another bed being involved. Like if I've stayed in a hotel I would say something like "I can't wait to sleep in my bed tonight". If I'm sitting at home and I tell someone I'm going to sleep, I would say "I'm going to bed".

Yeah, I think there's this sense that if you're in bed, you're in your bed, and if you add the preposition it's like you don't sleep there regularly enough, like you just might sleep in your neighbor's bed or a soft patch of grass on a hill or something

From wiktionary:

quote:

Like many nouns denoting places where people spend time, bed requires no article after certain prepositions: hence in bed (“lying in a bed”), go to bed (“get into a bed”), and so on. The forms in a bed, etc. do exist, but tend to imply mere presence in the bed, without it being for the purpose of sleep.

It bothers me that the other words I can think of right now that use this construction are "sleep" and "prison"

Phy has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Oct 26, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I didn't even know 'my bed' was common in British English

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BORAT VOICE MY BED

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phy posted:

e:

Yeah, I think there's this sense that if you're in bed, you're in your bed, and it's weird to mention any other beds like you just might sleep in your neighbor's bed or something

From wiktionary:

It bothers me that the other words I can think of right now that use this construction are "sleep" and "prison"

Brits will say "in hospital" instead of "in the hospital." I don't think I've heard people say it in NA though.

At/in school is another one.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Yeah, I think there's this sense that if you're in bed, you're in your bed, and if you add the preposition it's like you don't sleep there regularly enough, like you just might sleep in your neighbor's bed or a soft patch of grass on a hill or something

After some further consideration, this is wrong - I would also say "I'm going to bed" if I was camping and going to get in my sleeping bag, or, gently caress, lie on a soft patch of grass on a hill. "Bed" is a... a state? a condition?

Do we have a linguist batsignal?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Phy posted:

One also goes to class, practice and ground.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Phy posted:

After some further consideration, this is wrong - I would also say "I'm going to bed" if I was camping and going to get in my sleeping bag, or, gently caress, lie on a soft patch of grass on a hill. "Bed" is a... a state? a condition?

"to bed" as a verb, you're welcome :smug:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
After robbing that bank things started getting a little too hot so I’m going to my ground until things settle down

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I relentlessly shout "But WHOSE bed?!" at anyone who just says they're going "to bed".

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Phy posted:

I think this has some truth to it. When I say I'm going to my bed, I'm not really considering the physical object. It just means I'm going to sleep. I wouldn't say I was going to my bed if I was going to sit and read for example. That's what I would understand if someone said it to me as well.

I'm not I'm confident enough to pick any phrase or syntax and say 'Brits say this' though.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Yeah I also use "going to bed" to mean "going to sleep" and just say bed instead of sleep to clarify that I don't intend to fall asleep at the location where I am making the statement.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Aramoro posted:

So this is quite mild really. I was look at the results of a survey of a different grammars over the UK and I have just discovered that most people don't say 'I'm going to my bed' they say 'I'm going to bed' loads of the other ones I could really accept but surely everyone says 'I'm going to my bed'

I've literally never heard anyone say 'I'm going to my bed'. It's always, 100% of the time been 'I'm going to bed.'

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

articles are really weird, they have really complicated rules but the actual use of articles vary very little among the germanic languages, which probably means they represent some sort of really deep, unconscious structure in those languages

theyre also nearly impossible to teach. like try to explain why it's "i'm going to church" but "i'm going to the supermarket" or something to someone who grew up without articles

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Like was said above, I've only heard/used "going to my bed" in the context of differentiating from another bed, but usually when the person has been away from home and is just that happy to be sleeping on their own bed again.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

*I blink a couple times, then sit up in my chair*

I just figured out Bird's back!

(Seriously, you're the best mod around! I really appreciate your commitment to conflict resolution!)

e: whether or not you're performing mod duties right now, I mean

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Emily Spinach posted:

Like was said above, I've only heard/used "going to my bed" in the context of differentiating from another bed, but usually when the person has been away from home and is just that happy to be sleeping on their own bed again.

That's because "bed" in the sense of "going to bed" doesn't refer to any specific bed itself, it's describing the act of sleeping or using that as a euphemism for other acts performed in a bed (sex or staying up too late on your phone, for example). Same thing as "going to church" - it doesn't really refer to the building itself it refers to the idea of worshiping in a community context. Like if someone said "I went to church at an outdoor service on the beach" they obviously aren't implying the physical building was relocated. When you add the article (my bed, the church) it removes the idea of the act and defines it very specifically as an object or a building or whatever. "I'm going to my bed to see if I left my phone there" or "I'm going to go to the church to drop something off."

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

OH HAI BIRB

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Aramoro posted:

This is a bit you're doing right? Because every American I've ever met says "going to bed".

e: whoops didnt see the whole page of replies, but whatever, this pissed me off so it can stay

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

christmas boots posted:

After robbing that bank things started getting a little too hot so I’m going to my ground until things settle down

This sounds like you've got a compound somewhere.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is a bit you're doing right? Because every American I've ever met says "going to bed".

e: whoops didnt see the whole page of replies, but whatever, this pissed me off so it can stay

The concept that other people in other countries with other dialects use language in ways you haven't encountered before pisses you off?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I think we can all agree, Brits need to knock it off with their bullshit.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MariusLecter posted:

If they insist it's called maths, we should put them in hospital.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

MariusLecter posted:

Or as they call it, "bullshite"

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

bollocks

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

"Tat" and "gubbins" are two of my favorite UK english words.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

John Lee posted:

(Seriously, you're the best mod around! I really appreciate your commitment to conflict resolution!)

e: whether or not you're performing mod duties right now, I mean

I have only been back for a couple days, you are not too far behind the times! I did not realize until I started postin' again how much I had missed knocking around with you all. :) Thank you for the kind words, there are no mod duties for me anymore but I am really glad that I seem to have left such a positive impact on a community that I love very much. :h: It means a lot.

OH HAI CRABS :buddy:

Also, Edgar, I could not spoil the integrity of the Lists Thread, which is now my spirit thread because I love lists, to reply to you there but thank you for your list. :3: You are very kind too.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Bird, I mostly lurk, but I never saw you be anything but fair as a Mod, and I like your posting. Glad you are back.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thank you, bullet. :) I will endeavor to continue being a likable poster.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shifty Nipples posted:

"Tat" and "gubbins" are two of my favorite UK english words.

I used to like them, too, but then I watched like ten Ashens videos and now I hate them. I also now hate the word femtosecond. Thanks, Youtuber with bad haircut*, for overusing words.

*) But I repeat myself.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Organza Quiz posted:

The concept that other people in other countries with other dialects use language in ways you haven't encountered before pisses you off?

I'm not American, the point is that no-one itt has yet identified Anglophones anywhere who say this dumb thing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm not American, the point is that no-one itt has yet identified Anglophones anywhere who say this dumb thing

They lie in wait. In their respective beds. :spooky:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
They mostly go to bed. Mostly

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

man I missed this thread

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

John Lee posted:

turns out bird never left

bird just went to bed and nobody remembered to pull the cloth back off the cage

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

If they insist it's called maths, we should put them in hospital.

I'm actually on board with 'maths'. There's more than one type of math!!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm actually on board with 'maths'. There's more than one type of math!!

Math is short for mathematics. 'Maths' is the same as saying 'Mathematicses'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Math is short for mathematics. 'Maths' is the same as saying 'Mathematicses'.
unregardless, its wide parlance and analogues render it valid