Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scarf posted:

more proof that slap guitar sounds loving awful and is done by complete dorks

Unless you run it through pedals and end up making a robot fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYZTjZ58vHE

I just got my first bass. I paid a friend in desperate need of cash $100 for his Davison starter bass. It's cheap as hell, but it's a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

chitoryu12 posted:

Unless you run it through pedals and end up making a robot fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYZTjZ58vHE

I just got my first bass. I paid a friend in desperate need of cash $100 for his Davison starter bass. It's cheap as hell, but it's a start.

Dude come over and play bass with me this week. Email me

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Dude come over and play bass with me this week. Email me

Pretty sure you added me on Facebook dude?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It's a really good bass. Absolutely the best first-good-bass or only-bass you can get at that price point.

I wish they made the sunburst one with rosewood & pearloid blocks so I didn't have to build one myself, but I've owned a couple older ones in the past before building my Warmoth and thought they were exceptionally good.

edit: my fake fender

If that aint the damned truth... They're essentially the swiss-army knife of basses.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Played along to Seether's "Careless Whisper". Oof, I need some left hand strength. The distance between frets is Detroit cramp city.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Hey folks,

I've been a Steinberger Q bass funk guy since the 90's. I adore the weird rear end brand. But I recently moved from Nashville where my "Steinberger Guy" lives.

I'm in Portland now, and I've found a five string up for auction mislabeled as a Spirit. I'm thinking about grabbing it to keep or flip. But it needs to TLC.

Does anyone in the PNW know of a good STEINBERGER bass tech? Because the last time I found a guy who said he could fix it and couldn't, my loving bridge broke mid gig.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm primarily a guitarist, but years ago I was the bassist in a few lovely bands until my bass got stolen and I never replaced it. I recently built a P-bass kit and I have a few questions.

- Are there any good resources for starting out on bass as a guitarist? Most of my previous bass experience consisted of just playing root notes with a pick, but I'd like to actually learn how to think like a bassist this time around and use my fingers. I've been playing along to jam tracks on youtube, but I sort of vacillate between root notes and aimless noodling.

- Does anybody make a thumb rest for an 11-hole P bass pickguard? I only have 3 screws on the top edge of my pickguard, and they're way too far apart to fit the aftermarket thumb rests I'm seeing online. Resting my thumb on the pickup is okay, but the screw gets in the way, and I feel more comfortable playing in the empty space between the pickup and the neck. Or should I just learn to play without one? Are they a crutch?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

http://www.studybass.com/ is great. It gets into the why of playing (chord tones, basically) and introduces new ones by showing you where they appear as patterns, giving you exercises to practice, and linking to famous songs where the use of those intervals really defines the bassline, so you can hear it in action. Like this

Dunno about thumbrests, some people use them, but if you're out to learn finger style you probably want to wait until you work out what's comfortable for you. A bunch of muting styles involve letting your thumb lay against the strings below the one you're playing. I pretty much always rest my thumb on the E unless I'm playing it

e- oh nice they have videos now too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBU3tDJUc4Q

decent!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 4, 2018

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Urgh I thought my bonus was due on July 1, but I re-read my contract and it's due July 31. So my goal of buying a bass is postponed another month!

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Don't forget this'un.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBIXDov8G80

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
drat, Garry Lowe passed today. The announcement that he was fighting cancer came only yesterday, so I guess he had wanted to keep things private.

A unique player, from a unique band. May he rest easy. I'll be cranking Hemi-Vision and Heated today for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el5d2iwHnMU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlZ-j4QfhHc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRwXfxjz0KQ

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Hey, what's that?

Oh no.

OH NO!

(Pictures from a local FB group, not my bass. Thankfully)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The gently caress?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Looks like termites and hell

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
At least now we know Sterling Ball uses real wood in their basses...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah, real tasty

:smugmrgw:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That’s metal as gently caress. Also if they are the right kind of tone bugs it will sound even better the more that live inside the wood.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

rio posted:

That’s metal as gently caress. Also if they are the right kind of tone bugs it will sound even better the more that live inside the wood.

"We only use select tone worms"

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
If I remember correctly, MusicMan offered to replace the wrecked body at no charge to the owner. The offender was a bark beetle, and the owner thinks it may have crawled through the input jack to have its buffet.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

"We only use select tone worms"

It's naturally chambered. Gives it a very organic tone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The Science Goy posted:

If I remember correctly, MusicMan offered to replace the wrecked body at no charge to the owner. The offender was a bark beetle, and the owner thinks it may have crawled through the input jack to have its buffet.

One beetle ate all that? Surprised there are any trees left on the planet with these greedy assholes around

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I wish I had a bass signed by the beetles :v:

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I wish I had a bass signed by the beetles :v:

That was a very base pun

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Jeremy_X posted:

That was a very base pun

It was very bass indeed.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

The Science Goy posted:

Looks a lot like carpenter bee aftermath.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just want to say that I really like the MusicCollegeTV lessons on YouTube. TalkingBass and Scott's Bass Lessons are great, but this guy just gets right to the point and explains things in a way I really grasp.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm going to be taking bass guitar lessons come September. We have to bring our own bass guitar. I read the OP, are those recommendations still valid? I'm of normal build, fingers not that long though. If I play with other people it will probably be punk or simple rock music generally. Which model would you recommend for an absolute beginner like me (provided I like the look and feel when I try it out in the shop)? Thanks for any suggestions.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Phlegmish posted:

I'm going to be taking bass guitar lessons come September. We have to bring our own bass guitar. I read the OP, are those recommendations still valid? I'm of normal build, fingers not that long though. If I play with other people it will probably be punk or simple rock music generally. Which model would you recommend for an absolute beginner like me (provided I like the look and feel when I try it out in the shop)? Thanks for any suggestions.

There's been reports of some nasty quality problems in the new Fender Player Series (which replaces the Fender Standards) so you may want to steer clear of those. The Squier Vintage Modified series is AFAIK still a great choice for a beginner and would all be appropriate for the music you'd be playing.
The Jaguar and Jazz Bass have a narrower neck so if you've got small-ish hands you might find those more comfortable, but don't rule out bigger-necked stuff like a Precision or a Sterling Stingray because once you've actually got your hands on one it might not end up being as much of a problem as you expected.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Dammit Fender, stop loving up your flagship lineup.

The Chicago Music Exchange bass manager really likes the new Squiers, and they should still have the typical impressive value for money like the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series.

Also seconding the Sterling Stingray option if the neck doesn't feel too thick - I've been impressed by the ones I've tried.

If you can find a used Fender Geddy Lee jazz bass, that would be a solid choice as well. They are very playable (Geddy did a good job with that model's specs) and a used one should probably fetch a similar price to a new Squier Classic Vibe or slightly less.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks for the tips. Both of you are mentioning Squier Vintage Modified, so I'm looking in that direction now. My hands are not that big, so I'm leaning towards Jazz or Jaguar. I'm browsing this site, and Jazz seems somewhat more expensive than Jaguar. What exactly is the difference?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bombtrack posted:

Just want to say that I really like the MusicCollegeTV lessons on YouTube. TalkingBass and Scott's Bass Lessons are great, but this guy just gets right to the point and explains things in a way I really grasp.

Thanks for this, I love short videos like these. Scott's Bass Lessons are good, but each one is about 3 times longer than it needs to be, and it drives me insane.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks for the tips. Both of you are mentioning Squier Vintage Modified, so I'm looking in that direction now. My hands are not that big, so I'm leaning towards Jazz or Jaguar. I'm browsing this site, and Jazz seems somewhat more expensive than Jaguar. What exactly is the difference?

A jazz is kind of a workhorse bass. Honda of basses. Recognizeable tone, controls, and everyone kind of knows it. If you like the body style and controls, you can upgrade to something that feels very similar but might be more boutique.

I prefer the smaller body and lesser weight of the Jag. I also don't really care much for a standard J pickup setup. But those are preferences I've developed over a fair bit of time.

As a first bass, for someone taking lessons, I'd probably recommend the Jazz if buying sight unseen. Your teacher will know it. It sits better on the knee. It should last forever (so should a Jag, in that regard). If you can get your hands on both in the same session, see which one feels better in your hands. If you swing that, also try a pbass neck. You might find you like it better.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Get a jazz because it's easy as hell to upgrade parts later on and a Squire vintage modified Jazz with aftermarket pickups is the best bang for your buck. You can make that $500 total package feel and sound like a $2000 bass if you give it enough TLC. And by tlc I mean replace pickups and bridge.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rolling out the same story I’ve brought up a million times

I sold an $1,800 EBMM Bongo because my Squier VM70 Jazz Bass was just as good and it was making me go insane. Like it’s obviously not the same level of electronics and build quality but still.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks for the advice. I'm going for the Squier VM Jazz. I'm guessing since it's my first bass guitar I don't need a special model like 70s or anything like that and I should get a plain one (like this).

e: oh, and it's pronounced 'squire', right, so I don't embarrass myself at the store

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Right. Like the knight position in a fiefdom. I think you would be very happy with that bass. The necks are really good :)

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Re: plain vs 70s vs 77, there isn't a massive difference between them but any would be a fine choice. The body wood and fretboard woods are different, which will make a slight (not enough to exclusively base a decision upon) difference in tone and will also make a difference in weight, and the fretboard wood makes a difference in appearance.

Unfortunately there is enough variability in these moderately-priced basses that there is not an official weight that could be found based on a few minutes of searching, so the best way to tell the difference would be to try them in person. Also there is variability in the quality control, which means once again to try a few in person if possible.

Best option: try a couple of them in person, pick the one which you prefer in terms of playability/weight/appearance.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
All of Sweetwater's VM77s are about 9lbs: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBass773TS--squier-77-vintage-modified-jazz-bass-3-tone-sunburst
They only have one VM70's and it's 9lb 13oz. I don't know if that's typical or a particularly heavy specimen.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm going for the Squier VM Jazz. I'm guessing since it's my first bass guitar I don't need a special model like 70s or anything like that and I should get a plain one (like this).

e: oh, and it's pronounced 'squire', right, so I don't embarrass myself at the store
This one might be worth looking at also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5d98trgN5w

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Seems good, but what does Precision mean in this context? I don't know what the Russian guy is saying.

When I'm at the store, I should pick up an amp and a cable, obviously. Any other accessories? I guess a pick can wait until I'm actually able to play.