Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

8th-samurai posted:

A special thread that costs $5,000 to access.

That's right, and Contax G, Zeiss Ikon users and the other hoi polloi need not apply as there is only One True Rangefinder. :butt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's funny how the only people who ever say that are those who've been parted from their money already 8-)

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=152&topic_id=44375&mesg_id=44375&page=

I have no idea what is going on here but I kind of want this guy's camera.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Digital cameras read off the sensor a row of pixels at a time. So what I'm guessing is going on is that the circuit that reads in data off the sensor isn't clearing itself properly after each row, allowing some current from the previous row to linger. That's why the melting effect only happens on the highlights.

It is a neat effect though.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Not sure if this has made it's way here yet, but it's cool:

http://extras.denverpost.com/archive/captured.html

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the posted:

I like the large format shots, specifically this one:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Any idea what those dot-like things are in the corners? Especially the neon pink streaking one in the bottom right.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Those are where the film was held by clips during development.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the posted:

Some of these are really spectacular.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The one camera that's more expensive than a Leica - a golden Leica

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Far left on the middle row at 3,730,000 is one stupid looking camera. The 500 C/M in the bottom right looks pretty sweet, though.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

big scary monsters posted:

Far left on the middle row at 3,730,000 is one stupid looking camera. The 500 C/M in the bottom right looks pretty sweet, though.

You mean you don't want 250 exposures on one roll of film? What a plebe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leica_250_Reporter

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

MrBlandAverage posted:

You mean you don't want 250 exposures on one roll of film? What a plebe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leica_250_Reporter
If that had motor-wind you could have great fun pretending to be a bomber tail gunner while shooting photos :)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

Didn't even notice the 500!

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

NoneMoreNegative posted:

If that had motor-wind you could have great fun pretending to be a bomber tail gunner while shooting photos :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Santa is strapped posted:

Didn't even notice the 500!
So speaking of plebs.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
All the photos I took in 2012:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You, I like you.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
50mm to freedom.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

My 50mm is so cool my camera doesn't even know what it is.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

TomR posted:

All the photos I took in 2012:

Got curious about my own stats, so went and looked in LR.

From 2007, the winner is the 24-105 followed by the 500/4 and 400/5.6.

Incidentally, I recently sold the 24-105 since I felt it was not getting enough use.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yay, this is a fun game.

although this is skewed by the fact I now only catalogue finished images in LR4

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 5, 2012

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

My poor 50mm :(

e: These are for work :v: My own personal catalog has probably 200 images for 2012

Kazy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 5, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

This is since when I switched computers in june. I love my 0mm/0 lens.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

This is since when I switched computers in june. I love my 0mm/0 lens.

This would be most of mine, because I'm consistently too lazy to actually enter the lens data for old AI-S lenses.

I'll check later, but calling it now, most used lenses are 18-55 and 28-80. I didn't choose the kit life, the kit life chose me.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
≈580 of the 50-200mm shots are from one day

Almost makes me want a V1 with 10mm pancake and 30-110.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
10mm or 400mm. That is all.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
We should have a thread wherein we post our art/photo dreams that we won't follow through. Like I want to make a tumblr about all the horrible things that happen in hostels and just travel around living in hostels and writing stories about rabies and poop paintings.

And like, I posted this thread in General Bullshit and someone said I should start a Kickstarter so now I've got that in my head. My favourite thing right now is sitting down with a notebook and a cappuccino and my laptop playing a shuffled The Dark Knight Rises/Amelie soundtracks and making lists. Lists of what set of cameras would be the lightest. Lists of countries to visit. Lists of places and towns in my recent travels I saw large accessible electrical towers, That sort of thing.

And last night there was a guy who was missing half his jaw and he slept without a pillow and he snored with serious bass and I was on the top bunk, and I could feel his snorting ragged breath in my loose butt flub and I kept imagining the sound shuddering through that taut sunken flesh on the frame of knitted bone and scarred cartilage that is the left side of his face, it pockering in and out, strummed like bison-hide bongo drums. So there's that for the hostel thing. I got oodles.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Helmacron posted:

We should have a thread wherein we post our art/photo dreams that we won't follow through. Like I want to make a tumblr about all the horrible things that happen in hostels and just travel around living in hostels and writing stories about rabies and poop paintings.

And like, I posted this thread in General Bullshit and someone said I should start a Kickstarter so now I've got that in my head. My favourite thing right now is sitting down with a notebook and a cappuccino and my laptop playing a shuffled The Dark Knight Rises/Amelie soundtracks and making lists. Lists of what set of cameras would be the lightest. Lists of countries to visit. Lists of places and towns in my recent travels I saw large accessible electrical towers, That sort of thing.

And last night there was a guy who was missing half his jaw and he slept without a pillow and he snored with serious bass and I was on the top bunk, and I could feel his snorting ragged breath in my loose butt flub and I kept imagining the sound shuddering through that taut sunken flesh on the frame of knitted bone and scarred cartilage that is the left side of his face, it pockering in and out, strummed like bison-hide bongo drums. So there's that for the hostel thing. I got oodles.

:allears:

Wanna read those lists

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I want to start a travel blog where I travel the world and shoot concerts in small venues wherever I go.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, if there's one thing we need more of it's travelogues of affluent people and their wacky hijinks.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

^^^^^^
HEY REICHSTAG

WHAT IS THIS CRAZY ORIENTAL CONTRAPTION

But on a more serious note:
My hostel thing would be about weird poor western tourists. And my photos would big colourful curvy things. And HPL's photos would be of people jamming.

I think you're mocking something that no one said. Take that as you will.

HPL posted:

I want to start a travel blog where I travel the world and shoot concerts in small venues wherever I go.

How are you going to fund it? Where's the funding? Like, initial plane ticket is cheap (a grand or so), then pretty much the whole world is third world, so you'll be sweet on money, living in backpackers, making your own meals. You'll get drunk with friends you make, and then you'll move on, those friends turning into white dust that irritate your eyes on Facebook but that's still cool because they're not travelling as far as you, bro, and they'll remember you fondly and write things for your birthday when Facebook reminds them. But after that initial plane ticket, funds start going down, and you can't run on your saving, dude. You need to be pulling in some money and like, dude, you sell some poo poo back in a 1st world country via the Internet and you'll be living the high life. Kickstart a book on world indie bands. Go to shows in Ho Chi Minh City, Leh, Cheng Du and Murmansk and make an awesome 400 thick book on sweaty ethnic jamming in mad locales.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 7, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Reichstag posted:

Yeah, if there's one thing we need more of it's travelogues of affluent people and their wacky hijinks.

Are you criticizing my new "White People In Different Places" blog?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
God drat It, Helmacron.

I hope I get a love note from you some day.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
So this is a big D&D thing now.

Could the photographer have done anything to help that guy? He looks too far away to have been able to outrun a train. Articles say he tried to flag the train with his flash. I think that's probably bullcrap though as he tried to hide the fact that his first instinct was to take the photo and not just stare like I'm sure most people did.

What do you guys think?

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 7, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I think that guy is doomed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

rcman50166 posted:

Could the photographer have done anything to help that guy? He looks too far away to have been able to outrun a train. Articles say he tried to flag the train with his flash. I think that's probably bullcrap though as he tried to hide the fact that his first instinct was to take the photo and not just stare like I'm sure most people did.

What do you guys think?

No way could he have helped that guy in time. Anyone trying to hoist that dude up on the platform alone in the 20 seconds they had would have more then likely been pulled into the train themselves. I'm a trained rescue type person and I wouldn't even think about it unless I had two or three people to help.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

No way could he have helped that baby in time. Anyone trying to hoist that baby up alone in the 20 seconds they had would have more then likely been pulled into the buzzard themselves. I'm a trained rescue type person and I wouldn't even think about it unless I had two or three people to help.

EDIT: DOOMED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

rcman50166 posted:

What do you guys think?

It's almost as if the average person should shut the gently caress up because they would stand there like a slack-jawed yokel had they been in the same situation. How long was the guy standing on the tracks? Had he just fallen, or was he there for a while? It's not as if New Yorkers don't already have a long history of ignoring horrible poo poo happening right in front of them. I love the armchair superheroes coming out of the woodwork, like they're going to be able to stop the train or pull the guy out of tracks.

E: :argh: