System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Velvet Sparrow posted:

VVVV Hurrrrr..... Wanna feel old? The kid was 7 years old the first time we did Chickam. She turns 20 in September. :suicide:

:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I got out of bed before my alarm went off because all the chickens were clucking like crazy. I thought a raccoon or something was trying to get in.

Nope! They're just assholes.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Halloween Jack posted:

Nope! They're just assholes.

Feelin' cute! Might sing the egg song without laying an egg, IDK!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Mine frantically SCREAM the egg song, as a group, every 15 minutes while charging frenetically around the yard. Screamers get any non-screamers to join them because FOMO.

So I'm hatching more to continue this weirdo scream gene.
To be fair, it's been a long winter with tons of ice and snow, the last two days were our first sunny days in months. They are just SO happy to see the sun (as are we).

Also, nothing new yet, the two pipped eggs have not begun unzipping. I am going to run a camera test in about a half hour, so nobody panic, I'm shutting it off again after.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

Any ideas why a seemingly healthy chicken would decide to spend all day honking like a goose?

After further observation, this seems to be her traditional hour-long 'hey, I'm planning on laying an egg soon!' public service announcement.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^^ In that case, we will need to see a video of her honking Egg Song, please...
I call that the 'Pre-Egg Cackle', I'm convinced they do it to draw out predators while they can still escape--once they are on the nest and actually laying, they get quiet again 'till they are done.

Running a camera test now, and another egg, #22--right next to the other two pipped eggs--has pipped!

There is occassional frustrated peeping, I think from #26. :neckbeard:

I'm going to run the cam for a bit to set the lighting and settings, then shut it off until something happens. 12-String tripped over my go-to LED lamp two days ago, so I'm using an old desk lamp to light the eggs, so there is more glare than usual.

Someone please let me know if they can see everything OK?

EDIT: #8 has also pipped!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 18, 2019

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Wheeee! Time for Chickam! What's the correct URL now?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Wheeee! Time for Chickam! What's the correct URL now?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7ICWyIMhWSp0UUJpAeTCw/live

Twitter: https://twitter.com/

Three more eggs have pipped: #10, 13 and 24, for a total of 7 pipped eggs! Loads o' peeping...
There will for sure be hatching today at some point! As soon as we start the cam for real I'll put up the GBS Chickam thread and post a link to it here.

EDIT-- 12_String is checking the cam right now

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 18, 2019

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yay for high altitude hatching...

I remember when yall moved and you're still having a hell of a time with it. It doesn't really surprise me a lot. I think there's a reason so many hatcheries are out in the mid-west. just seems like an easier climate to hatch in. Down here we have all sorts of humidity issues I didn't have up in Washington state. Sucks.

E: My roosters are the ones that yell about eggs. Very proud of their girls.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7ICWyIMhWSp0UUJpAeTCw/live

Three more eggs have pipped: #10, 13 and 24, for a total of 7 pipped eggs! Loads o' peeping...
There will for sure be hatching today at some point! As soon as we start the cam for real I'll put up the GBS Chickam thread and post a link to it here.

EDIT-- 12_String is checking the cam right now

Do you all have a broody hen yet? And have the brooder box set up? Wheeeeee! :dance:

Let us know when the cam is up and running!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

https://twitter.com/BHWTOfficial/status/1118462877076283392

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Inveigle posted:

Do you all have a broody hen yet? And have the brooder box set up? Wheeeeee! :dance:
Yoya said "Nope" last year.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The box is ready to go because it is currently housing 7 chicks we got at the feed store almost 2 months ago (we have Morehens Disease, dammit), we'll section off part of it for the new chicks until the youngsters are ready to go outside for good. The older chicks were a couple of breeds I couldn't get online: 2 light Brahmas, 1 Langshan, a mystery (Old English or Dutch) banty, another mystery banty (cochin?) a gold laced Wyandotte and an Americaunas. I should NOT go into feed stores.

We have several bantam hens who have gone broody, two of these are Bobo and Gumdrop who hatched last year...but if all of those eggs hatch one hen would never be able to cover them all, and when that happens a hen will peck away chicks she cannot cover and could hurt them.
And these particular hens don't get along and are brooding in seperate nest boxes, so we can't stick two hens together.

So if fewer than a dozen chicks hatch--yes we can try a mama. If more than that, no.

And sadly, Yoya has left us. But she was an awesome mama!

EDIT--Another egg has pipped, #12! That makes eight pipped eggs so far...LOUD peeping and loads of egg wiggles, these kids want OUT.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 18, 2019

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

And we're off! #11 is unzipping now, I've turned on the cam and started the GBS thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887465

Head over and throw out those silly chicken names, kids!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It must be loving baby day or something. Malomar (muscovy) popped some eggs open today to reveal little webbed feetses. And boom, one of my mantis egg cases hatched, too, so I'm just overrun with mantis nymphs.

...And Sprinkles, my braindead frizzle hen, is angrily sitting on every egg she finds so I guess we'll be moving her out to a run to hatch some babies.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

And sadly, Yoya has left us. But she was an awesome mama!
:smith:

She was awesome and living to eight years old is fantastic. :unsmith:

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 19, 2019

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Those chicks are so drat cute. :kimchi:

Leaving the stream running while playing Dark Souls was a mistake, though, I kept hearing noises and going WHAT FRESH MONSTROSITY IS SNEAKING UP ON ME NOW oh wait it's the chicks.

Meanwhile, it's raining here and our chooks are piling up at the back door asking to be let in and looking sodden and pathetic. (They have lots of shelter in the backyard if they want it; they just want access to the kitchen.)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Velvet Sparrow posted:

^^^ In that case, we will need to see a video of her honking Egg Song, please...
I call that the 'Pre-Egg Cackle', I'm convinced they do it to draw out predators while they can still escape--once they are on the nest and actually laying, they get quiet again 'till they are done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqss6hEpRN0

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ToxicFrog posted:

Meanwhile, it's raining here and our chooks are piling up at the back door asking to be let in and looking sodden and pathetic. (They have lots of shelter in the backyard if they want it; they just want access to the kitchen.)
"It's the food room."

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Here we gooo...

To the left: 12 eggs from my coworker, a mix of Americaunas, RIRs, and Brahmas. May or may not contain some silky genes.

To the right: 16 eggs from Fluffy Bunnies, a mix including Swedish Flowers, Easter eggers (how timely!), and various mutts of various parentage.

Really hoping they do well for me! :ohdear:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Day 1! The humidity is running high in my incubator, averaging 63 - 65 percent. I think I underestimated the natural humidity levels in my home. It's very rainy here, and with it being too cool for the air conditioner, things are just sort of...wet. I guess. I have the humidity down to 54 - 55 now, but I'm struggling to get it much lower. I'm hoping the water in the incubator evaporates a little more in the next day or two so as to get things back on track.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

Day 1! The humidity is running high in my incubator, averaging 63 - 65 percent. I think I underestimated the natural humidity levels in my home. It's very rainy here, and with it being too cool for the air conditioner, things are just sort of...wet. I guess. I have the humidity down to 54 - 55 now, but I'm struggling to get it much lower. I'm hoping the water in the incubator evaporates a little more in the next day or two so as to get things back on track.

Use a turkey baster to pull it out

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

Here we gooo...

To the left: 12 eggs from my coworker, a mix of Americaunas, RIRs, and Brahmas. May or may not contain some silky genes.

To the right: 16 eggs from Fluffy Bunnies, a mix including Swedish Flowers, Easter eggers (how timely!), and various mutts of various parentage.

Really hoping they do well for me! :ohdear:

Yay chicks!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Use a turkey baster to pull it out

Thank you! I'll give that a try. I've been afraid to open the incubator for any reason, but a short time open shouldn't be a problem, right?

Watching yours has made me even more excited!!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Sigh... my beloved rooster Cheepers has been seeing me as a competitor recently (doing his wing-down dance, etc) and went after my legs a bit this morning. So I'm afraid his days may be running short now. C'est la vie.

The thing is, I was hoping to have a hen hatch out some of the fertilized eggs I'm currently getting, but none of my hens are showing signs of broodiness at the moment. They're about 10 and a half months old. Maybe it would be worth a shot not collecting eggs for a few days, to see if that gets one of the hens going? If not I can always figure this out some other way later on, just thought it would be fun to do it all in-house, as it were.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mozi posted:

Sigh... my beloved rooster Cheepers has been seeing me as a competitor recently (doing his wing-down dance, etc) and went after my legs a bit this morning. So I'm afraid his days may be running short now. C'est la vie.

The thing is, I was hoping to have a hen hatch out some of the fertilized eggs I'm currently getting, but none of my hens are showing signs of broodiness at the moment. They're about 10 and a half months old. Maybe it would be worth a shot not collecting eggs for a few days, to see if that gets one of the hens going? If not I can always figure this out some other way later on, just thought it would be fun to do it all in-house, as it were.

Pick up the bad boy and show him his place in the pecking order by carrying him like a baby in front of his ladies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That worked for me.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Hm - I was always a little doubtful of that strategy but it's worth a try. Usually when I have to grab one of them I'll wait until they're roosting, but in this case I'll probably have to figure something else out.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sooo...quick question: if I can't get the humidity levels down for whatever reason, will my chicks be likely to hatch early? Will I need help them unzip? Does anyone have any experience with this situation? :ohdear:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mozi posted:

Hm - I was always a little doubtful of that strategy but it's worth a try. Usually when I have to grab one of them I'll wait until they're roosting, but in this case I'll probably have to figure something else out.
I mean if you like the little guy you should at least try humiliating him before you snap his neck with a broomstick or whatever

A few days ago we had ungodly rain and I did something I've never done before: slipped and fell in the muddy chicken run. I should have just let myself land on my rear end, but instead I twisted halfway around like a cat and caught myself by planting my hand, which just hurt my back. Anyway, as soon as I got back up I heard a noise and felt a sting; I'd spooked Judas enough to attack my shin. I made a point of picking him up and parading him around.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
The first attempt seemed to go well, grabbed him without too much issue and while he was unhappy about it he didn't fight me at all as I walked around for a few minutes. Guess I'll repeat that for a few days and hope he changes his behavior.

I had heard of this technique before, but I always figured that once the rooster saw me as a competitor that was basically a losing game to try to make him change his mind. But hey, as you said, if that avoids having to meet Mr Rake Handle, then that's great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've had a rough day and I'm going to pick up my loud idiot boy and carry him around, for fun.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Chickens out enjoying the nice Spring day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkX7xazAHIg

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

Sooo...quick question: if I can't get the humidity levels down for whatever reason, will my chicks be likely to hatch early? Will I need help them unzip? Does anyone have any experience with this situation? :ohdear:

they'll just be likely to drown is all. what's goin on?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've sucked as much water as possible out of the incubator and I'm still hovering at about 60% humidity. I'm now entertaining thoughts of toweling out the whole thing. I'm just concerned for them!

Edit: Holding steady at 54 - 55% after my husband helped me leech out a little more water. Still aiming to bring it closer to 50 but feeling slightly less panicked now. :ohdear:

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 23, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
chooks

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
my barred rock roosters were the gentlest creatures on earth and at peace with being respectfully picked up and carried around. it wasn't until i started sending them to new homes (and they all went to bougie manor houses so i had to deal with some quite upset rich people) that i realised their fatal flaw, which is that if treated roughly by a stranger they would respond with righteous indignation, and being the size of ostriches they did cause some actual bloodshed when their new owners tried to hold them upside down by the legs like they were common chickens and then i had to give refunds and find new, less-fancy homes that would treat them with the reverence they expected

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Okay, maybe my concerns were for nothing? I'm using a forced air incubator, and further research from multiple sources has assured me that my humidity levels are within the satisfactory range and I can stop losing my poo poo and go to sleep.

Maybe I'm too anxious for these things...

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

my cat is norris posted:

Okay, maybe my concerns were for nothing? I'm using a forced air incubator, and further research from multiple sources has assured me that my humidity levels are within the satisfactory range and I can stop losing my poo poo and go to sleep.

Maybe I'm too anxious for these things...
intense anxiety over the wellbeing of the chix is normal and in fact a good thing as long as it doesn't impact your actual health

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

^^^ god

This morning my husband drove us into the city because I was too sleepy to drive after staying up too late reading papers and journals and websites and forums and after telling him about this he just LOOKED at me and said, "You're such a MOM! A chicken mom!"

i can never reproduce if this is how i am over chickens can you imagine what i would do over a tiny human being