Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Coolguye posted:

because moving before enemies means they hit you less

I've been selling every single trinket that takes away speed because of this. Are there any trinkets that are so good it is worth the -speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The thing about emphasizing speed is that 1 speed this way or that isn't going to set the world on fire. You need 3-4+ more than your enemies to really start feeling it. In that way, something like a Blight Stone can make a lot of sense for a PD, or a Health Stone on a Leper who's a loving lost cause when it comes to speed anyway.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Most of the trinkets that give -1 SPD are early game trinkets anyway, where the penalty isn't as big a deal. I'd avoid them in Champion dungeons unless you absolutely need the effect and/or have +SPD on the other trinket (or so many +SPD Quirks that you figure you're OK).

That said I'm still using a loving Seer Stone for lack of the Ancestor's Map. :argh:

EDIT: Also if you have a character who is just hopelessly slow then -SPD is not an issue because he or she is going last anyway, but I can only see that being an issue for Lepers maybe and with Sun/Moon Ring + Berserk Charm you don't have to compromise on SPD.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I think the speed stat also bottoms out at -1

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kly posted:

I think the speed stat also bottoms out at -1

tell that to the -20 matchman

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

oh. maybe just for your characters? or im completely wrong. ive never seen one of my guys get lower than -1 spd

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lmao

Coolguye posted:

The thing about emphasizing speed is that 1 speed this way or that isn't going to set the world on fire. You need 3-4+ more than your enemies to really start feeling it. In that way, something like a Blight Stone can make a lot of sense for a PD, or a Health Stone on a Leper who's a loving lost cause when it comes to speed anyway.

this is important

don't put the berserk stone on the leper; conversely, don't fear -spd on a grave robber

Node posted:

I've been selling every single trinket that takes away speed because of this. Are there any trinkets that are so good it is worth the -speed?

vestal's sacred scroll, if you're comfortable with her not stunning on champion, sometimes stunning on veteran, and sometimes not stunning on seeker

this is a weird state of affairs but it is possible with the right party

e:

Kly posted:

oh. maybe just for your characters? or im completely wrong. ive never seen one of my guys get lower than -1 spd

go walk a crusader/leper/arbalest into a Cove trap

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think I have a total of 3 trinkets that don't take away speed. For a long time I just thought that all trinkets cost speed to use. Trinkets are by far the most tedious and annoying aspect of the game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

actually the most tedious aspect of the game is having to click on the food twenty four/thirty six times before a dungeon

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Geez but the Brigand 16 Pounder is a slog.

Missed the matchstick man for once and the Pounder took the whole team down to death's door and I had to retreat. Thanks for the 30-turn stalemate I guess.

Picked up some nice treasures though, including locating a secret room. Dunno when I'm gonna bother with these guys again with how annoying they are to fight, but at least I made a net profit.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 7, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

actually the most tedious aspect of the game is having to click on the food twenty four/thirty six times before a dungeon

...that sounds like a lot of food...

Why are you bringing so much?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I pretty much always max out my food on Champion dungeons. Once I went to the Weald and had 48 food in inventory at one point. I ended up eating it all, and wishing I had more herbs to have even more from the 3-4 additional corpses I walked past. It's really nice to be so foodrich that you can keep guys topped off especially if your squad isn't good at stalling.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
So where are the videos of people beating a long champion dungeon with four seekers. I need something to make me feel even more bad.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol if you don't bring two/three entire stacks of food for medium/long dungeons

have you not loving listened to a single word your ancestor has said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yyAgk9der4

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah food is cheap enough and can avert so many disasters that it really behooves you to bring a lot

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Snak posted:

...that sounds like a lot of food...

Why are you bringing so much?

Feast to stack buffs. MAA is great for this.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

This is a good one too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So its a champion dungeons thing? That makes sense. I am still working on veteran bosses.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

even on seeker, at the start of the game

i am more than willing to spend an extra 300-600 gold on a Short dungeon for an extra 4-8 food if it averts the chance of having to spend 700-1500 on stress therapy

e: also if you're camping and it's not a feast with at least two meals left over, there's possibly something wrong

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Coolguye posted:

Yeah food is cheap enough and can avert so many disasters that it really behooves you to bring a lot

gently caress that, I'm not turning into a pig man. You can keep your be-hooving.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Node posted:

I like putting the Legendary Bracer on the guys who have a lot of SPD. It may not be a great trinket, I just like it. Brawler's Gloves may or may not be worth it because 25% is nothing to shake a stick at. The -1 SPD of the Life Crystal is more than worth it on a dedicated tank. The Sacred Scroll is worth it not if you don't mind being slow but if you don't mind the fact your stun will be useless above Apprentice.

As for rules for bringing food, I go by if I have a healer, buy ~50-66% of the food available. If I don't have a healer, buy all the food. Never cannot have enough food unless it is a trip expressly about treasure. Then food is so hard to deal with, especially if you somehow get even more during the quest.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just... don't run out of food? but I'm sure that will change on champion dungeons...

I usually bring one stack plus 4-6 for each log. I almost always end up throwing food away towards the end of the run. One carcass is 10 food easy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nothing quite like getting jumped by a shambler in a Champion dungeon run.

It's alright, I've got like four Hound Masters to replace that one. I'm not even mad.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Wrong quotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbiXfB7J5fw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtYAvi9WPfU

There are two schools of thought: 'Bring only what you need, for more space', and 'over prepare just in case'. Both are valid-to a point.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 7, 2016

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Missed twice on the matchstick man. Welp.

A single houndmaster was able to retreat. He was stressed out and monologuing afterwards.

Trying to get him to shut up, I mis-clicked, hitting the door to re-enter the cannon fight. RIP houndmaster. RIP treasures.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I tried out a slot 2 Vestal with the Profane Scroll.

It's... actually pretty good? I definitely miss Judgement and the stun, but Hand of Light's debuff is not bad at all, Mace Bash with the boosted damage is OK, and the heal boost helps the AoE heal to be competent. And she still has a second trinket slot to fill.

I'm definitely curious whether a slot 2 Vestal and slot 3 Occultist might be overpowered stacking Weakening Curse and Hand of Light. Together at lv5 that's -70% DMG on the very first turn. That'd nerf a Champion Giant from 29-47 damage on Treebranch Smackdown to about 9-14. And they can both heal. Bring an Arbalest and Bounty Hunter for the first and last slots and you might have a pretty sustainable team that wrecks those bosses that can be debuffed (so not the cannon). Or maybe a MaA for Prot, which would stack real nice with -DMG on enemies....

Snak posted:

I just... don't run out of food? but I'm sure that will change on champion dungeons...

I usually bring one stack plus 4-6 for each log. I almost always end up throwing food away towards the end of the run. One carcass is 10 food easy.
Better to throw out food or nibble on it to top off your guys than to be out of it and fail a hunger check or be unable to camp again in a Champion dungeon you could've otherwise finished but now have to bug out on because your guys will die.

Feasting twice in a Long dungeon is 16 Food, or 1.33 stacks. You might get lucky and find 8-10 Food as you go but that's certainly no guarantee. I always get as many stacks of it as are offered to me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

Better to throw out food or nibble on it to top off your guys than to be out of it and fail a hunger check or be unable to camp again in a Champion dungeon you could've otherwise finished but now have to bug out on because your guys will die.

Feasting twice in a Long dungeon is 16 Food, or 1.33 stacks. You might get lucky and find 8-10 Food as you go but that's certainly no guarantee. I always get as many stacks of it as are offered to me.

I mean yeah, but I just took two stacks on a medium dungeon and I was throwing out food by the third room. I passed on picking up 10 food at one point.

It makes sense because food it cheap, so I'm not really arguing here. A stack of food costs what, 900 gold?

I'm still really bad at this game. Still basically stuck in the early game with no money. I just did a veteran medium run, which cost 10,000 to bankroll and I walked away from it with 14,000. That's a pretty poor profit margin.

edit: I mean, it doesn't feel like I suck at the game, it just feels really grindy.

Like it feels like upgrading the hamlet is the most important thing, and the best way to do that is run highly profitable apprentice-level runs. The reward for doing veteran runs is not remotely in line with the investment risk. I basically never lose anyone on an apprentice run, and if I do, it doesn't matter, because I had very little invested in them. A veteran run is barely more profitable, but if I do poorly, I'm out characters that cost me thousands of gold each. I can a apprentice run and get 10,000 gold and a few stacks of heirlooms quickly and risk free. Doing a veteran run nets me 4,000 gold and a few heirlooms, but if I screw up, I'm back to doing apprentice runs to get more guys levelled up. I'm to the point where I have no interest in doing apprentice runs because they are not interesting or challenging, but failing a veteran run requires me to do more apprentice runs.

It loving boggles my mind that at no point is the ability to recruit higher level people unlocked. I just assumed at the beginning of the game that that was something that would happen.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 7, 2016

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Once you get your hamlet finished you'll start banking a crapton more gold so don't sweat it. Heck, you can start tossing heirlooms to make room for gold pretty early if you have key buildings finished.

It's not like you really need the inn (or whatever) finished top to bottom after all.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
... is the game trolling me? Like I posted earlier, the Swing King wiped one of my parties. Now the Memoirs say I killed the Swine King, and is giving me the quest to kill the Swine God.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Did you kill the King and then wipe on Wilbur?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Wizard Styles posted:

Did you kill the King and then wipe on Wilbur?

Node fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 7, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The quest wasn't to kill Wilbur, after all.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
wilbur is truly some pig

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
Why did the ancestor feel like such a failure at summoning. Wilbur seems like a stunning success.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lyrax posted:

Why did the ancestor feel like such a failure at summoning. Wilbur seems like a stunning success.

boo

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Buildings cost too much poo poo to upgrade. Wish I had my town hall finished from back in the day and just perpetually played one game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

vandalism posted:

Buildings cost too much poo poo to upgrade. Wish I had my town hall finished from back in the day and just perpetually played one game.

Heroes are costing too much gold to upgrade in my case. Getting weapon, armor, and four primary skills maxed out for a veteran/master takes a long time. Level six is going to be horrible. This game really goes hard on you with the grinding, honestly.

Speaking of upgrading, I have three levels 1 and 2 characters sitting around, unable to form a party. Is my only option to do anything with them is to have them tag along with three higher level characters in a harder mission and hope he or she survives it?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Heroes are costing too much gold to upgrade in my case. Getting weapon, armor, and four primary skills maxed out for a veteran/master takes a long time. Level six is going to be horrible. This game really goes hard on you with the grinding, honestly.

Speaking of upgrading, I have three levels 1 and 2 characters sitting around, unable to form a party. Is my only option to do anything with them is to have them tag along with three higher level characters in a harder mission and hope he or she survives it?

This is basically my problem. It's really easy for me to have 20k after a run. But then for my next run I end up needing to upgrade an average of one character all the way. That means spending 3-4k on skills and 4-5k on weapons/armor.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
going through all the backer trinkets and haha they did not think these through at all

for instance:

corwyn's cape:

+3% ranged crit
+8% ranged damage
+4 acc ranged
+50% damage while starving at deaths door

the amount of damage you take at DD doesn't matter so enjoy the stat stick

Afraid of Audio fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Finally took down the last of the veteran-tier bosses, the Sunken Crew. Not too bad, though I'm sure the champion iteration will be a headache.

Collected 3 busts and 72 crests for my trouble. :stare: