Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Even the Witcher 3 had that problem. Huge, beautiful world, but outside of side quests there was naff all incentive to keep it. Oh look, level scaled treasure chests that are going to be useless anyway. Woo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

AngryBooch posted:

The smallest zone of Mass Effect Andromeda is larger than all of Dragon Age Inquisition.

This is insane.

I mean, I love me some Mass Effect, so I guess it stands to reason I'd love even more Mass Effect, but uh...

I don't come to ME for "big open-world game" hijinks.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Bongo Bill posted:

You've got a space car this time, so it's okay.
Beat me too it. The horse in DA: I was barely faster than walking.
I'm one of those that actually loved the Mako, and big open areas to drive around doing jumps and sick flips with the Mako 2.0 sounds good to me.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

Eh, this actually makes me less excited. It's a bunch of empty space that the completionist in me is going to be frustrated about the part of me that just wants to get on with the story not exploring.

I live 13 hours ahead of the US east coast and the game launches on March 21st for me. I wonder if that means midnight my time or American time. I think only Europe is getting it later.

I just checked. Origin tells me that the game launches 11pm, 20th March SGT (GMT +8). Which is 11am EST, March 20th. MadBimber's screenshot says 9pm PDT, which is midnight EST.

I'm not complaining if this means I get to play the game earlier.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

Beat me too it. The horse in DA: I was barely faster than walking.
I'm one of those that actually loved the Mako, and big open areas to drive around doing jumps and sick flips with the Mako 2.0 sounds good to me.

The mako was fine, the areas where you used it were not.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Amazon Prime discount on pre-orders is 20% :mario:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

VideoGames posted:

I've never played DA:I. How much bigger is it than other games?

It's a bunch of regions, each maybe 1/4 to 1/8 the size of Skyrim or something similar. Like 15 regions maybe?

I'm just hoping it's not Mass Effect 1 again, where sure, there are a bunch of barren planets you can drive on, but that was boring. And I don't think the new car even has a gun.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'm hoping that the game has a good launch. But it wouldn't be the first AAA game to come out of the gate needing polish. Hell tons of goons gladly fork over money for Bethesda games that are half broken all the time. "The modders will fix it,' they say while slowly turning into a corncob.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Serf posted:

There is no way this is true except in the purely technical sense.

The very best kind of sense.

Serf posted:

It was too big, imo, and could've used some tightening.

But enough about your mom.

Serf
May 5, 2011

RPS' Holly Nielsen posted her thoughts on 5 hours of gameplay

She says it looks good but then I came across this part:

quote:

One planet can have a map larger than the entirety of the Dragon Age: Inquisition map, which immediately rang alarm bells for me as my patience for huge, open but ultimately empty worlds is wearing thin. However, we were told that this Andromeda is definitely not a sandbox game. That because you have the Nomad (the vehicle you use to explore planets) and will usually have a specific goal, mindless travelling is never necessary.

I spoke to Fabrice Condominas, a producer at BioWare, he talked about the difficulties of dealing with huge environments and retaining player interest. “We tried a lot of things and failed in a lot of different ways in development! So at the end the decision we made for this game was to say, we have those huge spaces but we’re not going to randomly generate anything. Everything we’re going to make will be memorable, hand-crafted and placed, and have a narrative impact even if it’s a very small thing. Can you drive 50 minutes without encountering anything? We’re trying to avoid that, but because of the nature of what we’re doing, I can’t promise it won’t happen. That being said, if it does happen as a player you will know it, because it means as a player you’re going to a part where we don’t promise you anything. Our hope is that you never have to hit an invisible wall because you keep finding something interesting.”

Which is a huge bummer.

Still, she says that she enjoyed what she played and looks forward to more of it, so we'll see how it shakes out.

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude

TotalHell posted:

I mean, I love me some Mass Effect, so I guess it stands to reason I'd love even more Mass Effect, but uh...

I don't come to ME for "big open-world game" hijinks.

Concur. I think GTA:SA was the apex of "HOLY gently caress IT'S A MASSIVE WORLD AND I CAN DO poo poo" wow-factor for me. Then Far Cry 2 made me loathe big empty spaces with nothing but randomly-spawning baddies and little else. ME optional-questline planets were neat-o but only because the skyboxes gave the TRAPPIST-1 alien worlds wonder-vibe. Other than that the suicidal bad guys charging at you wore you out. How many planets have these space monkeys and space cows claimed?

ENEMY IS EVERYWHERE

GO GO GO

Medlar fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 23, 2017

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Mymla posted:

The mako was fine, the areas where you used it were not.
If you were dumb and always tried to drive in a straight line over mountain ranges, then yes.
It got a lot better if you paid just a little attention to the terrain, finding paths was usually pretty easy.

Trast posted:

Hell tons of goons gladly fork over money for Bethesda games that are half broken all the time. "The modders will fix it,' they say while slowly turning into a corncob.
Counterpoint: Some of those day one bugs tend to be hilarious. I'll never forget my first time in Fallout 3, stepping out of the vault and killing a wild dog, only to have it slowly float up into the stratosphere.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

If you were dumb and always tried to drive in a straight line over mountain ranges, then yes.
It got a lot better if you paid just a little attention to the terrain, finding paths was usually pretty easy.

Yeah, no, even if the terrain was literally flat, you still spent hours of your life per playthrough going through featureless terrain. It was bad and boring.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Medlar posted:

Concur. I think GTA:SA was the apex of "HOLY gently caress IT'S A MASSIVE WORLD AND I CAN DO poo poo" wow-factor for me.

"Ryder. Why are we sitting in an alien movie theater?"

"Don't you like experiencing new cultures?"

"Ryder, people are dying outside."

Groetgaffel posted:

Counterpoint: Some of those day one bugs tend to be hilarious. I'll never forget my first time in Fallout 3, stepping out of the vault and killing a wild dog, only to have it slowly float up into the stratosphere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Serf posted:

Which is a huge bummer.

Still, she says that she enjoyed what she played and looks forward to more of it, so we'll see how it shakes out.

Really it just sounds like they're saying sure, it's possible to accidentally choose the exact path that passes through all the content areas repeatedly.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

IcePhoenix posted:

Looks like that's only for the console version, they don't even sell the PC version of the Deluxe Edition.
:sigh:

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I preordered.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Serf posted:

Which is a huge bummer.

I think they have it right actually. Less is more. Inquisition can feel empty and boring because the levels are obstructive and full of tiny distractions where going from X to Y takes an age because you're picking up herbs every 5 seconds or whatever. Keeping it empty with islands of interesting stuff, and letting you navigate quickly in the Nomad might paradoxically fix that design. The map can be big on paper but mostly it's spacing for banter to happen.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I tried to like Inquisition but the Hinterlands killed a lot of positives for me. If I'd been able to tear around the Hinterlands in a tank it would have been better. Bonus points if I can use biotics to fling a loving bear off a cliff.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Fangz posted:

I think they have it right actually. Less is more. Inquisition can feel empty and boring because the levels are obstructive and full of tiny distractions where going from X to Y takes an age because you're picking up herbs every 5 seconds or whatever. Keeping it empty with islands of interesting stuff, and letting you navigate quickly in the Nomad might paradoxically fix that design. The map can be big on paper but mostly it's spacing for banter to happen.
:agreed:

Trast posted:

I tried to like Inquisition but the Hinterlands killed a lot of positives for me. If I'd been able to tear around the Hinterlands in a tank it would have been better. Bonus points if I can use biotics to fling a loving bear off a cliff.
The game massively failed to communicate that you can get out of the Hinterlands almost immediately and bounce around between zones to avoid being bored with one.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

IcePhoenix posted:

Thanks for the heads up! Gonna go cancel at Gamestop and hasten the death of brick-and-mortar stores

Do preorders arrive day of release?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Serf posted:

Fabrice Condominas

how the gently caress is 'condominium builder' a real name?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Groetgaffel posted:

The game massively failed to communicate that you can get out of the Hinterlands almost immediately and bounce around between zones to avoid being bored with one.

I'd preferred if they made non-boring zones instead. Hinterlands wasn't the only one that mostly stuck in my mind for running around a lot through empty landscapes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Groetgaffel posted:

Yep. Since the notion of this game from the jump is about exploring planets they are likely not gonna have this problem in ME.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

I don't think a level recommendation notation on the map or quest areas would have broken immersion too much. It certainly would have helped me out.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Trast posted:

I don't think a level recommendation notation on the map or quest areas would have broken immersion too much. It certainly would have helped me out.

The "level recommendation" turns out to be "why is this rift spawning level fifteen pride demons?"

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

/\/\/\/\ Game felt like a single player MMO, and every MMO trains you to finish one zone, then go to the next one. If you hit mobs that are too high a level, you're in the wrong end of the zone.

Trast posted:

Well, you do eventually run into mobs that are several levels higher than you. Of course, I just took that as an indication to go level for a bit in a different direction, not to go to an entirely different zone.

Decius posted:

I'd preferred if they made non-boring zones instead. Hinterlands wasn't the only one that mostly stuck in my mind for running around a lot through empty landscapes.
I mean, just as Fangz said in the post I quoted, the landscapes aren't that empty, they're filled with completely pointless bullshit. Just getting the mod that turns off the collecting animation helped the tedium a lot for me.
Without it, it pretty much took longer to pick a flower than it took to walk to the next piece of elfroot or iron that you don't really have any use for, because you already have 300 in your pockets anyway.
With it, you could just click the flower as you passed, didn't even have to let go of W.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 23, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hobo Clown posted:

Thanks for the heads up! Gonna go cancel at Gamestop and hasten the death of brick-and-mortar stores

Do preorders arrive day of release?

They're supposed to but I've heard stories of people who don't get them until a day or two after. My copy of FFXV showed up at like 6PM because we're near the end of the route for UPS but I did get it day of. Considering I get home from work at around 5:00 it worked out pretty well for me, though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Pre orders usually arrive day of unless it's an insanely popular game. My copy of COD:IW arrived a week late.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

marshmallow creep posted:

Me playing Cards Against Humanity:

I have never played the game, I just thought the gif was funny

Pure pazaak

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Groetgaffel posted:

I mean, just as Fangz said in the post I quoted, the landscapes aren't that empty, they're filled with completely pointless bullshit.

Really hope for ME:A they don't have another go at making every zone a nightmarish hellscape of ubisoft-style collectable minimap icons.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Kurieg posted:

The "level recommendation" turns out to be "why is this rift spawning level fifteen pride demons?"

Yeah basically this.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ub posted:

Really hope for ME:A they don't have another go at making every zone a nightmarish hellscape of ubisoft-style collectable minimap icons.

Whatever do you mean?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I just preordered this dumbass game because I'm an idiot

I just want to play multiplayer so I don't give a poo poo about the story

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

DrNutt posted:

Whatever do you mean?

This pictures makes me yearn for death

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

AngryBooch posted:

The smallest zone of Mass Effect Andromeda is larger than all of Dragon Age Inquisition.

This is insane.
Not really, Andromeda has vehicles for travel.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

moist turtleneck posted:

I just preordered this dumbass game because I'm an idiot

I just want to play multiplayer so I don't give a poo poo about the story

You're the only goon I can remember playing ME3 MP with for some reason.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DrNutt posted:

Whatever do you mean?

you forgot where half the poo poo either can't be opened because you need a ridiculously high lock pick skill(the red ones) or you need a loving app game on your phone(the blue ones) or you need to be leveled up on a website or something(the gold ones). syndicate fixed a ton of that poo poo thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Trast posted:

All the huge empty areas really showed off how it was going to be an MMO before they came to their senses at the very end.