Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Mother From Another Country

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Here's a rock block of Luann!

I thought this whole thing was resolved. But here it is again. Because in Luann we can't have nice things.

So I bet Bernice wasn't supposed to just blab this chick's name to everybody, but whatever, it's not like she follows any of the RA rules beyond slavish devotion to curfew.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Selachian posted:

Edge of Wreckage

Was the ship Sam stole carrying a ribcage for some reason?

Is Sam the first Phantom? Or is this Tales of the Black Freighter?

Calaveron posted:

Working daze assumes a lot about how much people care about its continuity or own dumb little mythology, which is none

My first thought was this is a callback to User Friendly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

I'm really disappointed that it turned out to be legit and not a giant set created to trick them.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street

Go, dog, go.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Tiggum posted:

I'm really disappointed that it turned out to be legit and not a giant set created to trick them.

I think they were just knocked out somehow then moved to the lab and woken up so it would SEEM to them that it's not a giant set.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

It could still be a giant set. We don't know how much shuffling around of bodies there was once Willie and Maude were unconscious. Note they got knocked out right as Willie was about to peek out the window to see if he saw any giants.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is me IRL. :smith:

Working Daze references that thing everyone was into a few weeks ago and has already moved on from.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix bridges the generation gap.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Ces can get away with having his characters ironically comment on the flaws in his writing. You can't, Evans.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I kind of feel that this 1947 strip wouldn't get printed in a 2017 newspaper.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Selachian posted:

Ces can get away with having his characters ironically comment on the flaws in his writing. You can't, Evans.

Luann stinks.

Ali's House is fun tho.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

FrumpleOrz posted:

Old New Yorker Cartoons

I love this Cranky Art Critic. It's Thurber, so here he is, glaring disapprovingly at the posts, if anybody wants him.

eta: I didn't filter out the paper texture, because it wanted to be there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons
I complained about the girl being named "Tweetie", but "Tillman" annoys me just as much. Those aren't names and I hate it.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Bonus comparison of today's Intelligent Life and one from February.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Help a non-American out. Do you really take wildly different classes in US colleges like art, biology and child development? Feels more like, and I may be stating the obvious, a way to be able to keep the high school setting while pretending to have changed up Luann's formula.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

You are expected to fulfill a wide variety of basic requirements no matter your degree- math, science, English, etc.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
My majors each required some basic science/math classes (calculus I/II, physics I, intro to biology) and six humanities or social science electives, in addition to the major-specific requirements and electives. I could see art as fulfilling a humanities elective, biology as fulfilling a general requirement, and child development as part of whatever her major is.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

My Lovely Horse posted:

Help a non-American out. Do you really take wildly different classes in US colleges like art, biology and child development? Feels more like, and I may be stating the obvious, a way to be able to keep the high school setting while pretending to have changed up Luann's formula.

You have a certain amount of credits to fulfill within your major, and within that amount certain more specific requirements (ie "you have to take Organic Chemistry II" or "you have to take at least one class about pre-19th century art"). Then you have, typically, a bunch of other credit requirements to qualify for your degree-- ie a liberal arts major will probably need a math or science class, a STEM student might need an art appreciation or literature class, everyone will probably need to take a writing class or a few semesters of a foreign language. In most cases there will be a bunch of credits left over that you can fill out however you'd like-- either poking around in fields that strike your interest, digging more deeply or more broadly in your major, and rounding out your minor.

So, to take your examples-- somebody might be taking a child development class as part of a major in education, a biology class to knock out their science requirement, and an art class for fun.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's interesting! Over here if you go for a humanities degree no one would expect you to ever set foot in a lab again, so this keeps throwing me off.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
American universities still largely follow the liberal arts model, where you're expected to know a broad variety of things on top of your specialization.

...although you also have to bear in mind our high school educations are kind of poo poo, so the general ed classes(which are classes people only take to fulfill the various credit requirements for each subject area) end up as a dumping ground for clueless freshmen to get whipped into shape so they're semi-prepared for their major's classes. English classes try to destroy the bad habits K12 English teachers taught you, history classes try to teach you that the discipline's more about being able to draw conclusions from information than remembering the dates various things happened, etc.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 29, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TofuDiva posted:

Go, dog, go.

Look at that fukken dog

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I loved my gen ed classes in college. They helped boost my GPA.

Now that I teach in college, my students are always complaining about them. I try to explain that having knowledge outside of your specific area can make you better at your job and a better critical thinker. Most don't care. :sigh:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 9, 1996)

Garfield Classic (January 9, 1986)

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks US Acres is loving revolting.

Never knew U.S. Acres was a comic strip until long after Garfield & Friends had been off the Saturday Morning TV airwaves.

Never wanted to visit it, either, seeing as how it was the terribly boring part of the show that gave me freedom to do other things until the second Garfield cartoon came on.

Now I know the strip is godawful, too.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

I thought this whole thing was resolved. But here it is again. Because in Luann we can't have nice things.

So I bet Bernice wasn't supposed to just blab this chick's name to everybody, but whatever, it's not like she follows any of the RA rules beyond slavish devotion to curfew.

Tara has the same beady eyes as Pru. Clearly she must be a lesbian.

Also this comic sucks super hard.

Edit: Wait, wasn't she expelled? Or does Luann go to a different school?

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 29, 2017

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Reply All

Zits

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

TofuDiva posted:

Ballard Street

As the printing press unleashed Man's Renaissance, so does this Dog unleash his own revolution.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I really don't like how every new Luann character is drawn with different art style.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

If it's too dark for them to see Mandrake gesture hypnotically, wouldn't it be too dark for them to see Lothar wandering toward the fire place?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Thanks for spreading salmonella, rear end in a top hat.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Green Intern posted:

Tara has the same beady eyes as Pru. Clearly she must be a lesbian.

Also this comic sucks super hard.

Edit: Wait, wasn't she expelled? Or does Luann go to a different school?

Luann goes to community college, not Mooney Uni, hence asking Bernice about it.

Also, as I recall she did that specifically because she's not completely sure what she wants to major in so she can take a variety of classes in different areas to get a better idea of it. It's not the worst idea, but it's also a good way to never actually get a four-year degree.

But yeah, there's also the gen-ed requirements that community colleges will require to reward an AA. I knew a couple community college transfers in my university who had to take foreign language classes to get their AA, which wasn't required for those of us in the engineering program at the university.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
U.S. Acres

Pluggers

thursday's Pluggers

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
command C
command V

yeah that's how all the kids are talking

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane One Note Comic

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
so does the 9 Chickweed Avenue guy have a websight for all his erotic art that the newspapers won't let him publish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

command C
command V

yeah that's how all the kids are talking

Yes? How would you say those keypresses?

• Locked thread