Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, the difference is at lower speeds. Like when someone is accelerating fast out of a standstill in an inappropriate environment. Not offering insane acceleration is a safety feature.

*in Porsche Taycan voice* but what if you have to accelerate away from a huge gas explosion??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

A pedestrian is just as dead if they get hit with a Mustang going 90 mph as a hummer.

Mustang driver might notice though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes, the difference is at lower speeds. Like when someone is accelerating fast out of a standstill in an inappropriate environment. Not offering insane acceleration is a safety feature.

*in Porsche Taycan voice* but what if you have to accelerate away from a huge gas explosion??

Like a crosswalk, possibly with a terrible forward field of view for short things/people.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DoomTrainPhD posted:

We have working dispensers!

please offer this wrap as option

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

kronix posted:

We were but to be fair a hummer has almost 2.5x the kinetic energy of an rear end in a top hat in a mustang showboating in front of his friends at the same speed and we know how dangerous that is.

The real issue with the hummer isn’t how fast it is but how much mass it’s moving at that speed. That and the fact that road wear rises exponentially with weight.

I guess I should also point out that at 4920 pounds, a Mustang Mach E has 1.7x the kinetic energy of a 2910 pound Corolla.

I am tempted to also point out that the hummer has way more than 2.5x the mass of the rear end in a top hat in a mustang: an rear end in a top hat weighing that much wouldn't even be able to fit in the door, to say nothing of getting out to the car in the first place. But I think pointing this out would be pretty pedantic, so I'm not going to do it.

e: actually, hold up, you do know that the formula for energy is mass times velocity squared, right? Doubling mass doubles the energy. Doubling the speed quadruples the energy. If you're talking about kinetic energy, the real issue is absolutely the speed. However, in your example, you say both cars are going the same speed, so in this situation, yes, the mass is what you need to pay attention to.

cruft fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 26, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Hummer EV is, frankly, so over the top it wraps back around to good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the kind of people who are going to be killing random other people with their EV hummers are the kind of people who would be killing random other people with a brodozer so at least their bad behavior is better for the environment under one scenario

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the kind of people who are going to be killing random other people with their EV hummers are the kind of people who would be killing random other people with a brodozer so at least their bad behavior is better for the environment under one scenario

Well, or with their gas hummers. So, yeah.

e: It took me three reads before I saw it. LOL, I've never heard the term "brodozer" before, I love it!

cruft fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 26, 2021

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I want to get a level 2 charger for the house. We've got a 14-50R outlet in the garage. If I pull the car in nose-first the way I prefer, the outlet is basically just in front of the car's front left corner (driver's side). The charge port on the car is, of course, on the exact opposite corner of the car, so it'd be nice to get something that's pretty long and can reach all the way back there rather than having to back in. Any recommendations? I was thinking of just getting this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lectron...0-32A/313326058.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Brodozers don’t weigh 4.5 tons and go 0-60 in 3 seconds.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

If you're talking about kinetic energy, the real issue is absolutely the speed.

It’s both.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

Brodozers don’t weigh 4.5 tons and go 0-60 in 3 seconds.

They will in a few months!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Charles posted:

Looks nice! No screen, just plug and play? Pretty easy. Are you gonna have dual cable models or will they all be individual? Does that mean they each get their own cabinet?

Edit: if you're allowed to tell.

There is a screen! We run a small QT app to show the price and rate of charge. Chargers are in free ven mode at launch and then we will roll out IOS15118 plug in charge support a few months after release!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

please offer this wrap as option

Fun fact: Factory wraps are the number one requested option.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ola posted:

Is there a quick way to mute all audio? Perhaps just hold the volume down (i.e. volume left) button? It's one of those things you'd like to do in a hurry now and then. One thing that's nice with the I-Pace is a configurable button on the steering wheel. When I have one from the car sharing service over a few days I set it up so a short press is mute audio, long press is infotainment screen off, nice for preserving night vision. The VW infotainment also has an off button, does the car get angry and throw errors if you switch it off and keep driving? Do you lose the navigation info on the driver screen?

I checked this yesterday: you can indeed turn "off" the infotainment by holding the power button; it displays the current time on a black screen.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Pham Nuwen posted:

I want to get a level 2 charger for the house. We've got a 14-50R outlet in the garage. If I pull the car in nose-first the way I prefer, the outlet is basically just in front of the car's front left corner (driver's side). The charge port on the car is, of course, on the exact opposite corner of the car, so it'd be nice to get something that's pretty long and can reach all the way back there rather than having to back in. Any recommendations? I was thinking of just getting this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lectron...0-32A/313326058.

There are no shortage of options out there with decent ratings, and most of them should be fine AFAIK. If you have a 50amp breaker you can run a 40amp EVSE, although depending on what car you have that might not benefit you (but nice for "future proofing"). That one looks to be somewhat portable.

If you want American or Canadian made, more of a permanent style, there are some options out there too. I got the Grizzl-E non-smart version, seems to be good, was $420 with a 24 foot cord, Canadian made. I don't see it on Amazon currently (I bought it direct from them), was gonna verify they still have good reviews but now I can't see it, hmm. Technically I can pull a pin and bring it with me, but it's in a big rectangular box, so not super portable except for emergencies.

ClipperCreek is American made and well recommended, a bit more pricey.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I randomly happened to be sitting behind a first gen RAV4 EV (RHD so probably imported from Japan?) in traffic the other day. Pretty cool SUV, and even cooler if the Wikipedia is correct and it's a pretty rare car.
I like that the woman driving it had her kid in a car seat and was using it like it's just any other car.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I randomly happened to be sitting behind a first gen RAV4 EV (RHD so probably imported from Japan?) in traffic the other day. Pretty cool SUV, and even cooler if the Wikipedia is correct and it's a pretty rare car.
I like that the woman driving it had her kid in a car seat and was using it like it's just any other car.

My wife and I have a RAV EV and really love it. The range is only 115ish and it doesn’t fast charge, but those don’t hinder us much. We like the interior volume a lot - when I compare current EVs I haven’t seen anything with the same interior cubic volume in the back, which we fill up with backpacking stuff a lot. After 6 years of ownership were still at $0 on repairs. It’s a keeper.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
For any other Tesla owners in the thread, Tesla updated the iOS app yesterday, not sure about Android. App is way faster, layout is better and it supports command queuing instead of having to wait for the car to wake up before sending inputs. You can quickly open app, tap HVAC and then minimize it again. Such a small thing but a nice change. It's too bad Apple neutered iOS widgets so that they can't fire off commands directly without loading the app.

By the way what the hell happened with the Mazda MX30? I was reading that are "pausing" the rotary extender addition, leaving them with a 35kWh battery based CUV that will do 160KM for ~40k USD. Just seems like a massive fuckup or a compliance vehicle. Maybe both?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Likely very low sales numbers. At least in Europe you need to actually sell cars for them to count towards the emissions goal, just having some models on offer no one buys is useless.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

For any other Tesla owners in the thread, Tesla updated the iOS app yesterday, not sure about Android. App is way faster, layout is better and it supports command queuing instead of having to wait for the car to wake up before sending inputs. You can quickly open app, tap HVAC and then minimize it again. Such a small thing but a nice change. It's too bad Apple neutered iOS widgets so that they can't fire off commands directly without loading the app.

Thanks for letting me know! My phone didn't grab the update on its own, had to manually get it from the app store by searching for the app. My favorite change so far is the ability to see my Supercharging history from the app.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

At Mazda HQ:

"We've made a cake, everybody said it was going to sell like cakes, what's going on?
What do you mean hotcakes?"

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

By the way what the hell happened with the Mazda MX30? I was reading that are "pausing" the rotary extender addition, leaving them with a 35kWh battery based CUV that will do 160KM for ~40k USD. Just seems like a massive fuckup or a compliance vehicle. Maybe both?

The MX-30 in the U.S. is definitely a compliance car. $34K for 100 miles of range and 143 HP.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ola posted:

Acceleration antidote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lE7rcN4EnE

I want one, in the most Austin Powers paint and fabric they can do.

drat, I want this so bad. I also hope someone is doing the same for the DS21.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

drat, I want this so bad. I also hope someone is doing the same for the DS21.

Bon choix Monsieur! :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyyHqhAeuF4

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Charles posted:

There are no shortage of options out there with decent ratings, and most of them should be fine AFAIK. If you have a 50amp breaker you can run a 40amp EVSE, although depending on what car you have that might not benefit you (but nice for "future proofing"). That one looks to be somewhat portable.

If you want American or Canadian made, more of a permanent style, there are some options out there too. I got the Grizzl-E non-smart version, seems to be good, was $420 with a 24 foot cord, Canadian made. I don't see it on Amazon currently (I bought it direct from them), was gonna verify they still have good reviews but now I can't see it, hmm. Technically I can pull a pin and bring it with me, but it's in a big rectangular box, so not super portable except for emergencies.

ClipperCreek is American made and well recommended, a bit more pricey.

Thanks for the pointer at Grizzl-E, I've just ordered one direct from them (free shipping). Semi-portable, 24 foot cable, and no need for Yet Another loving App... sold!

I've already installed 3 apps since getting the car: Electrify America, Chargepoint, and VW CarNet (aka DLC for your car, though to be fair there's not a lot of stuff in there...). They all suck in their own way.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hopefully the DS also does 0-60 in 3 seconds.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

The MX-30 in the U.S. is definitely a compliance car. $34K for 100 miles of range and 143 HP.

I'm hoping they had to rush this out due to lack of money/compliance reasons and gen 2 is going to be really good. Then all the reviewers can say "this is what it should have been in the first place".

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Thanks for the pointer at Grizzl-E, I've just ordered one direct from them (free shipping). Semi-portable, 24 foot cable, and no need for Yet Another loving App... sold!

I've already installed 3 apps since getting the car: Electrify America, Chargepoint, and VW CarNet (aka DLC for your car, though to be fair there's not a lot of stuff in there...). They all suck in their own way.

You should add Plugshare to that list.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

What, and spill your wine? Non merci!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

What, and spill your wine? Non merci!

The French need to watch more Always Sunny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6aHDsNZF4U

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Guido Merkens posted:

My wife and I have a RAV EV and really love it. The range is only 115ish and it doesn’t fast charge, but those don’t hinder us much. We like the interior volume a lot - when I compare current EVs I haven’t seen anything with the same interior cubic volume in the back, which we fill up with backpacking stuff a lot. After 6 years of ownership were still at $0 on repairs. It’s a keeper.

For city driving and charging it at home I'd like it as a cool EV to drive around in.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I think I like the new Cadillac EV, but holy crap is that a lot of icons in the driver's view. I'm a fan of physical controls, but I'd rather have a screen of menus than something that looks like a car-focused UI design toolkit.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

At least I won't be the only one with a dashboard full of PS3-grade shiny black plastic.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

McPhearson posted:

You should add Plugshare to that list.

Seconded. It also has a web interface for trip planning.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

knox_harrington posted:

don't care. if you've ever ridden in a DS you would know.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

VideoGameVet posted:

don't care. if you've ever ridden in a DS you would know.

There are certain cars whose existing ‘mission statements’ are only further reached by switching to electric drive

The DS is a good example. Like if you feel *anything* in that car except for ‘calm delight’ it’s not doing its job. Eliminating a motor that needs to be vibrationally dampened only makes that job easier.

Same thing with like an E Class or Volvo wagon. Make an E Class wagon electric with a ~4.0 sec 0-60 and it’s basically the perfect E Class.

Or anything in the Rolls Royce/Bentley category. That’s a car that only becomes better in every single way with electric drive.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

There are certain cars whose existing ‘mission statements’ are only further reached by switching to electric drive

The DS is a good example. Like if you feel *anything* in that car except for ‘calm delight’ it’s not doing its job. Eliminating a motor that needs to be vibrationally dampened only makes that job easier.

Same thing with like an E Class or Volvo wagon. Make an E Class wagon electric with a ~4.0 sec 0-60 and it’s basically the perfect E Class.

Or anything in the Rolls Royce/Bentley category. That’s a car that only becomes better in every single way with electric drive.

A friend has a '53 Bentley he bought from a neighbor. We've talked about doing an EV conversion on it.

The car is darn right interesting mechanically. Hydraulic front brakes and cable operate rear for one.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Godzilla07 posted:

I kind of really like the MX-30 and i wouldn't even care about the range (my Seat Mii has about the same range and its fine for 99% of my driving) but jeez that price. Im hoping they'll just dump them for cheap when they announce the next generation so i can get one for me or my wife to do the usual around town stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Shai-Hulud posted:

I kind of really like the MX-30 and i wouldn't even care about the range (my Seat Mii has about the same range and its fine for 99% of my driving) but jeez that price. Im hoping they'll just dump them for cheap when they announce the next generation so i can get one for me or my wife to do the usual around town stuff.

Yeah it'd be cool to get an off lease one for 1/3rd the price. I love my short range car but from what I've seen the MX-30 charges even more slowly than my 27kWh car, lol