Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Distended Bowel posted:

Tempting, but the comments about the shotty quality are a bit iffy - I had some awesome headphones I'd use when running, but the earpieces are far too bulky for a helmet. And then I broke those headphones. Sooooo I'm on the hunt for a new pair - again.

I like these: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-C...=I1EBOOOODOP308 putting them on correctly takes some practice, but my last set of Shures lasted me 10 years and probably saved my hearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
My gear includes:

Dainese Textile Jacket (alternate cold weather Tourmaster Transitions Jacket)
Shoei RF1100 helmet
Alpinestars Net Air Boots (alternate TCX High tops http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-street-waterproof-shoes)
Basic Sedici gauntlets which I like but some of the stitching is already coming loose after only 1500 miles ridden

I have been looking for pants since I got my first bike in September to complete my gear.

I decided to buy these pants for ~$100 for dedicated riding time (weekends): http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-solare-vented-pants ...Still waiting on delivery and will post a review later.

My alternate would be armored shorts and knee guards under regular jeans. If I don't like these pants I will likely go that route.

I am still looking for an everyday pants solution for riding to work etc. Overpants seem to be the only practical quick change solution for work riding. Anyone have overpants that they like? Or....what is your quick change work riding solution? I can't wear a pair of $250 Dainese Jeans to work 5 days a week no matter how good they look.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Stugazi posted:

My gear includes:

Dainese Textile Jacket (alternate cold weather Tourmaster Transitions Jacket)
Shoei RF1100 helmet
Alpinestars Net Air Boots (alternate TCX High tops http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-street-waterproof-shoes)
Basic Sedici gauntlets which I like but some of the stitching is already coming loose after only 1500 miles ridden

I have been looking for pants since I got my first bike in September to complete my gear.

I decided to buy these pants for ~$100 for dedicated riding time (weekends): http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-solare-vented-pants ...Still waiting on delivery and will post a review later.

My alternate would be armored shorts and knee guards under regular jeans. If I don't like these pants I will likely go that route.

I am still looking for an everyday pants solution for riding to work etc. Overpants seem to be the only practical quick change solution for work riding. Anyone have overpants that they like? Or....what is your quick change work riding solution? I can't wear a pair of $250 Dainese Jeans to work 5 days a week no matter how good they look.

I have some overpants I used to wear to work before I got my leathers. I wear my 2 piece all the time now, and just change in the bathroom when I get there.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Just bought my second set of freeze out gear (top and bottom). Although the glove liners didn't blow me away, the underwear works really well. Way better than standard long johns. It was in the 40's today and I could ride a couple of hours in a perforated leather jacket and jeans. I did have a t-shirt on and a buff around my neck.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Is it at all comfortable to ride in the rain with only a "rain proof" jacket/pants or does water still get everywhere, necessitating an outer rain shell? Not heavy rain, just mild usually (Pacific Northwest).

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I've found my boots get the wettest out of everything during a ride in the rain. Wet gear also drips, so unless you have a place to hang your gear to dry upon arriving at a destination, I'd recommend a compact outer shell so you can isolate wetness to a specific, small location and don't track water everywhere. But even so I'd say jacket and pants are fine if drying isn't an issue.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Stugazi posted:

The more I wear my First Gear HT overpants, the more I like them. The venting works pretty well for temperatures in the upper eighties (arid climate). Just the other day, I used the insulating liner with them and it worked wonders in low forties across town. They're basically snow-boarding / skiing pants with armor. Well worth the money IMO.

XYLOPAGUS fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 7, 2013

Cron PERLman
Jan 18, 2005

20 4 * * /bin/smokeweed
I smoke the weed at 4:20am

Distended Bowel posted:

Tempting, but the comments about the shotty quality are a bit iffy - I had some awesome headphones I'd use when running, but the earpieces are far too bulky for a helmet. And then I broke those headphones. Sooooo I'm on the hunt for a new pair - again.

Ugh. I didn't even bother looking at the 1-star reviews, hopefully they're not that bad. At least they seem to be good at what I'm buying them for - noise reduction. I do have other earbuds but as you said the bulkiness is a problem. I even have issues with my iphone's earpods being pulled out when putting on my helmet.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

I bought a pair of these with some Christmas money http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-latigo-air-rr-boots
The loving zipper has split after one 15 minute ride. I knew better than to buy another piece of Cortech anything after my gloves lasted all of 2 months before falling apart. I emailed Cortech to see if they will do anything to fix it. Last piece I will buy from them though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
After wearing my Alpinestars Scout WP boots for several commuting rides, I must say that I am impressed. As expected, they are completely waterproof. They keep my feet fairly warm, too. It got down to 23 last week and my toes were fine with a pair of regular cotton socks (20 mile ride to work from the ferry).
They're still a bit stiff but are starting to break in.
All I need to do now is find a good leather conditioner/waterproofer stuff to keep them in shap with.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Distended Bowel posted:

I wrecked in a regular pair of Levi's and I had zero abrasions :)

However, I know these are $65, but they're like $125 regular. I figure if these don't work out, I'll return them and just keep shopping. It's worth a shot.

Reminder: the more you skimp on gear, the more your hospital bill will come out to be. I wouldn't even look at something that's got no armor like those jeans. If you don't like the look of racing pants (with the kneepucks and everything), buy a pair of women's dainese alien pants. That's what I'll be getting, and they come with hip+knee armor. Carry a change of clothes in a backpack if you have to, but don't ever put form over function w/r/t motorcycles, especially where gear is concerned.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

M42 posted:

Reminder: the more you skimp on gear, the more your hospital bill will come out to be. I wouldn't even look at something that's got no armor like those jeans. If you don't like the look of racing pants (with the kneepucks and everything), buy a pair of women's dainese alien pants. That's what I'll be getting, and they come with hip+knee armor. Carry a change of clothes in a backpack if you have to, but don't ever put form over function w/r/t motorcycles, especially where gear is concerned.

Kneepads are relatively cheap too. A good pair of riding jeans should have a little pocket for them to fit into.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

True, that. I'm just very kneejerky about gear. :kiddo:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I had a low-speed lowside in a pair of Old Navy jeans and they pretty much evaporated. Lucky I wasn't going fast, the road rash wasn't bad and you'd never notice the scar if I didn't point it out

(wear real pants)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Found out if you wear high viz gear and show up at an accident scene everyone, including the police officers, will just assume you're a first responder. Was kind of odd but kind of nice.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

"Where is the motorcyclist and why is there an EMT laying on the ground?"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Considering how often Seattle cops are out directing traffic, I want to go to a random intersection in a high-vis vest and a whistle just to see what'll happen.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Pope Mobile posted:

After wearing my Alpinestars Scout WP boots for several commuting rides, I must say that I am impressed. As expected, they are completely waterproof. They keep my feet fairly warm, too. It got down to 23 last week and my toes were fine with a pair of regular cotton socks (20 mile ride to work from the ferry).
They're still a bit stiff but are starting to break in.
All I need to do now is find a good leather conditioner/waterproofer stuff to keep them in shap with.

I have yet to try it, but this comes highly recommended: http://www.mermacminkoil.com/

I'll have to get on getting my wife some m/c specific jeans w/ knee armor. She has leather m/c pants and a jacket, but the armored robot ninja look isn't always fun just to go out to dinner.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Someone's selling a women's revit ignition 1 (the older version) jacket near me, for $200. It's been worn very little, never down, etc. Good deal or no? Reckon I could knock it down? I've only ever gotten insanely good deals on CL, so I never bothered to haggle and I'm not very good at it.

e. also, sweet deals on women's gear aren't that common, even in the bay area. In fact, this is the first good-ish listing I've found.

M42 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 9, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

M42 posted:

Someone's selling a women's revit ignition 1 (the older version) jacket near me, for $200. It's been worn very little, never down, etc. Good deal or no? Reckon I could knock it down? I've only ever gotten insanely good deals on CL, so I never bothered to haggle and I'm not very good at it.

e. also, sweet deals on women's gear aren't that common, even in the bay area. In fact, this is the first good-ish listing I've found.

No harm in making an offer. I'd try 150-170ish for a quick sale.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

XYLOPAGUS posted:

UnderArmour ColdGear balaclava is where it's at. It fits under the helmet very well and is that magical thin wicky stuff that UA uses.

This showed up last night and I tested it this morning on my commute in, temp was right around 30F. Neck felt a little cooler than my bikers brand balaclava but my face was warmer, especially forehead. I like my helmet very tight so that caused some issues with the chin portion when putting on the helmet, I might try it inside out tomorrow. Biggest downside is it doesn't have as much material to tuck into a riding suit, it ends at the bottom of the neck instead of some upper chest coverage for tucking in.

Overall I like it, good replacement for my three year old balaclava.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

re: hi viz gear. When I was riding home from the Eurotrip, there was a massive jam on the autobahn and I rode on the shoulder. Many other bikes did, and we all know it's not allowed. I was in my freshly purchased dayglo rain covers and every bike that saw me in their mirrors IMMEDIATELY jumped out into the lane thinking I was polizei. Gave them a thank you wave. So yeah, they work very well.

Ola fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 9, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

NitroSpazzz posted:

Biggest downside is it doesn't have as much material to tuck into a riding suit, it ends at the bottom of the neck instead of some upper chest coverage for tucking in.

This is the only issue with my Schampa, but that's my fault for not getting the longer one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Just got my Teiz Lombard. I'll post something more thorough later, but I wanted to note that it comes with a god-drat built-in hood! I imagine this is to keep either cold or rain or sun off of your neck. It's crazy.

Distended Bowel
Dec 27, 2006

Powdered ToastMan!
I'm not sure if this is really "gear", but does anyone have a recommendation for laptop backpack? Something that isn't super bulky, but effectively allows you to commute with a laptop on your back? My current backpack is just too drat bulky.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Distended Bowel posted:

I'm not sure if this is really "gear", but does anyone have a recommendation for laptop backpack? Something that isn't super bulky, but effectively allows you to commute with a laptop on your back? My current backpack is just too drat bulky.

How big of a laptop?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C11DM6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

This is my "light commuter" bag, 19l, fits a 15 inch screen laptop and a pair of shoes with no issues, can also take 3 bottles of wine or a six pack. Small and fairly unobtrusive.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Distended Bowel posted:

I commute everyday with a Kriega 25 that fits a laptop and my work shoes and pants if that's any help?

Distended Bowel
Dec 27, 2006

Powdered ToastMan!

ThatCguy posted:

How big of a laptop?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C11DM6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

This is my "light commuter" bag, 19l, fits a 15 inch screen laptop and a pair of shoes with no issues, can also take 3 bottles of wine or a six pack. Small and fairly unobtrusive.

3 bottles of wine. I am so.loving.in.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
This is my riding bag: http://www.timberhawk.com/?wpsc-product=killshot-2

Carries my 17" laptop, accesories, a spare set of clothes and my rain gear plus my rifle and 2 deer haunches... It can be huge or mid-size, it compresses well. I also take this moto camping and can fit 5 days of gear/supplies in it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
What do you do with the rest of the deer?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Field jerky.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

I can shove a fully dressed and deboned deer in the bag without the laptop etc.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I don't know about the rest of you, but for daily commuting I don't want a backpack that can fit too much crap. I want something for my laptop, my lunch, and a few odds and ends. I use a Mobile Edge Secure Pack http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Edge-SecurePack-17-Inch-Backpack/dp/B000FTM4BO I added some sternum straps and it's super easy to get on and off and its very comfortable in the sport bike tuck position on my R6.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I use that too. The only knock I have about it is that it's so shaped that it doesn't stand up on its own. Makes for an easy time sliding around and getting kicked in airports. It's pretty huge capacity for a compact shape though, and I've been using one regularly for almost 5 years now and it's not really any worse for wear. Very nice quality and can be treated with weather proofing sprays to hold up to light rain.

I've been stuck with it on my back in 1+ hour downpour, complete with trucks splashing water all over me. The laptop compartment stayed dry but the rest of the pack along with all my paper books and notes were completely soaked. Best to get some kind of waterproof cover for it if you plan on using it for distance/adventuring where serious rain will be a factor.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 10, 2013

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Where should a leather jacket's sleeve end?

Store by me has an Alpinestars perforated leather jacket for ~$250, closeout, and it fits very drat well except the sleeves end about an inch before my wrist-bone. Motorcycle jacket sleeves are supposed to be long, yes? If it weren't for that I'd have bought it on the spot.

Grr. It was a size 36/46. I am never going to find a jacket that slim with longer arms without paying for Dainese, am I?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

TheNothingNew posted:

Store by me has an Alpinestars perforated leather jacket for ~$250, closeout, and it fits very drat well except the sleeves end about an inch before my wrist-bone. Motorcycle jacket sleeves are supposed to be long, yes? If it weren't for that I'd have bought it on the spot.

Grr. It was a size 36/46. I am never going to find a jacket that slim with longer arms without paying for Dainese, am I?

If everything else fits and you like the price, gauntlet gloves are the easy solution. You're not likely to find much else with long sleeves in a 36, that's drat near child size.

ThatCguy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 10, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TheNothingNew posted:

They should end about an inch past your wrist bone so that when you are riding with arms bent they pull back to your wrist. Then you cover the joint with the glove's gauntlet. An inch short of your of your wrist bone would be way too short when you're on the bike, unfortunately.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Z3n posted:

They should end about an inch past your wrist bone so that when you are riding with arms bent they pull back to your wrist. Then you cover the joint with the glove's gauntlet. An inch short of your of your wrist bone would be way too short when you're on the bike, unfortunately.

poo poo. This is what I was afraid of.

A gauntlet alone seems way too likely to roll up on me if I go sliding.

Thanks, fellas.

... huh. Alpinestars doesn't even list a size 46 on their site. Must've been a pretty old model, or something.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

TheNothingNew posted:

Possibly RS Taichi.

I just went and bought a Dainese (also 36/46).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I don't know if Kushitani still makes gear or not but they built for a slender, tall person.