Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Juvi ruled so I don't know what the hell they were doing making him not be Juvi.

"Nobody likes masks!" is one of the greatest WCW thoughts in hindsight, given that mask merch put Rey in the top 5 of WWE sellers for years and years.

I would have spent so much allowance on lucha masks if WCW had sold them when I was a kid. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I felt like they were trying to position Booker as their main event Rock. Juvi's stuff was more "well Juvi is high as gently caress and can't wrestle so lets have him do this"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

I felt like they were trying to position Booker as their main event Rock. Juvi's stuff was more "well Juvi is high as gently caress and can't wrestle so lets have him do this"

It felt so sad and blatant when he was given the Rock Bottom.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

It felt so sad and blatant when he was given the Rock Bottom.
It really did. And they gave him a bunch of catchphrases that were supposed to be like Rock's, and he started dressing like Rock, and it all happened so fast that it was really, really, really sadly obvious.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Y'know, I remember pointing that out and being brushed off. And yeah, it was just so obvious.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I remember he used to get knocked down and looked to be out and his opponent would mug to the crowd, then Booker T would do the spinaroonie and stand up and hit his cocky opponent with an axe kick or something.

It was a great signature move, like Undertaker sitting up.

I don't know if it was Wcw or WWE that changed it. It became a taunt he just randomly does in the middle of a match for no reason. It didn't even read as heelish, it just made no loving sense.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

greatn posted:

I remember he used to get knocked down and looked to be out and his opponent would mug to the crowd, then Booker T would do the spinaroonie and stand up and hit his cocky opponent with an axe kick or something.

It was a great signature move, like Undertaker sitting up.

I don't know if it was Wcw or WWE that changed it. It became a taunt he just randomly does in the middle of a match for no reason. It didn't even read as heelish, it just made no loving sense.

The spinaroonie was/is Awesome, and I will hear no different. Juvi was/is Awesome too, but WCW's handling of him, (fake rock, "the juice", making him commentate in a language he barely spoke, tequila bottle, unmasking etc.) was crappy.

And on that - Why did they make Juvi commentate in English? WCW had a Spanish Announce table, and high as gently caress Juvi gibbering on would have been entertaining as all hell to the Hispanic audience. WCW seemed to poo poo on their hispanic audience a lot too, what with the atrocious treatment of their luchadores.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

:russo:

Really though, he was gigantically racist.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

MassRafTer posted:

Bischoff's ego is out of control and the company is in chaos.

Having read Eric's book and listened to him on Steve Austin's podcast, the man must fall to his knees and thank god for the things that happened with Turner Broadcasting/Time Warner/AOL, because it means he can hoist all the blame for WCW's failure onto them and their boards of directors telling him what to do while not understanding wrestling at all. There's a big, BIG hint to that in the Steve Austin podcasts, in that he doesn't mention TNA once. Why would he? There he got absolute power and completely hosed it up as well, and he can't slide the blame, so he just ignores it.

Really, I wonder if there would even BE a book if Eric hadn't had the dipterous merger to fall back on to blame for why WCW died.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BrigadierSensible posted:

The spinaroonie was/is Awesome, and I will hear no different. Juvi was/is Awesome too, but WCW's handling of him, (fake rock, "the juice", making him commentate in a language he barely spoke, tequila bottle, unmasking etc.) was crappy.

And on that - Why did they make Juvi commentate in English? WCW had a Spanish Announce table, and high as gently caress Juvi gibbering on would have been entertaining as all hell to the Hispanic audience. WCW seemed to poo poo on their hispanic audience a lot too, what with the atrocious treatment of their luchadores.

BRO AMERICANS DON'T WANNA SEE MEXICANS OR LUCHA LIBRES WIN OKAY :russo:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

DeathChicken posted:

:russo:

Really though, he still is gigantically racist.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Luigi Thirty posted:

BRO AMERICANS DON'T WANNA SEE MEXICANS OR LUCHA LIBRES WIN OKAY :russo:

Also, Americans don't give a poo poo about Japanese wrestlers, either.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

In all fairness, I don't remember any Japanese wrestler winning the WWE belt

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

omgomgomg posted:

In all fairness, I don't remember any Japanese wrestler winning the WWE belt

Yokozuna never won it? I thought they gave it to him so Hogan could beat him.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

greatn posted:

Yoko wasn't actually Japanese. He was born in California and his heritage was Samoan. If I'm not mistaken he was related to the Uso's and Roman Reigns.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

greatn posted:

Yokozuna won it twice but he was Samoan-American. Antonio Inoki won the belt once but it isn't officially recognized.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know guys, Yokozuna is a japanese title and his manager waves around a Japanese flag. Are you alleging that he WWE used racial stereotypes?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

greatn posted:

I don't know guys, Yokozuna is a japanese title and his manager waves around a Japanese flag. Are you alleging that he WWE used racial stereotypes?
How dare you :smith:

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

greatn posted:

How would it make you feel if I told you that Akeem The African Dream was really a white guy from South Carolina?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Next you're gonna tell me 'Mick' Foley isn't Irish.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think the Ultimate Warrior is still the only alien to have won the belt.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Why were Raven and Tommy Dreamer a team? Unless Raven was messing with him again but I don't think WWE thinks things through that much. I think I just answered my own question.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Why were Raven and Tommy Dreamer a team? Unless Raven was messing with him again but I don't think WWE thinks things through that much. I think I just answered my own question.
I think that was in 2001 when the Invasion angle was running, and Heyman formed an ECW team to take on both factions.

They were first partnered when the Dudley Boyz left ECW, and Heyman gave the fans a "holy poo poo" moment when Raven was Dreamer's mystery partner, so they beat the Dudleys and held the tag titles together. So there was a precedent for it, at least.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 24, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bubba Grace posted:

Yoko wasn't actually Japanese. He was born in California and his heritage was Samoan. If I'm not mistaken he was related to the Uso's and Roman Reigns.

Yes, he's part of the Anoa'i family.

Was there seriously any WWF/WWE Samoan wrestler that isn't part of that family?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

Yes, he's part of the Anoa'i family.

Was there seriously any WWF/WWE Samoan wrestler that isn't part of that family?

The Rock's family is only a close family friend and not actually related.

I don't think they ever said that Yokozuna was Japanese, but that he represented the country. He was a sumo wrestler that adopted the customs of his sport and sport's country.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Isn't Yokozuna his cousin?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Endorph posted:

Not by blood.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

Rock's grandfather and Yoko's were blood brothers.

Yoko's grandfather is also quite literally the father, grandfather, or great-grandfather of every Samoan and a Tomgan in WWE history.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They're not related genetically, but my understanding is that they are considered family according to the Samoan cultural definition of family.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, as far as being blood brothers goes, you *are* family.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

Rock's grandfather and Yoko's were blood brothers.

Yoko's grandfather is also quite literally the father, grandfather, or great-grandfather of every Samoan and a Tomgan in WWE history.

Blood brothers means close, like family, not actually related by blood.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Batista is Filipino which is basically Japanese if you're racist

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

That's the colloquial meaning in English, but in Samoan culture it's a bit different.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

fatherdog posted:

That's the colloquial meaning in English, but in Samoan culture it's a bit different.

Sure, but the Miavias and the Anoias are not related.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
With the number of Samoans wrestlers and the more progressive view of the fan base as a whole do you think there would be widespread acceptance of a fa'afafine wrestler in the near future?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I never said otherwise.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

With the number of Samoans wrestlers and the more progressive view of the fan base as a whole do you think there would be widespread acceptance of a fa'afafine wrestler in the near future?
Isn't that basically what exoticos have evolved into in Mexico? I'm honestly not that familiar with them and am basing this mostly on a couple of interviews I've listened to and an academic book about lucha libre, so apologies if I'm completely misinterpreting their reception.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

Were Chyna and Nicole Bass part Samoan?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

They tried the same thing with Juvi, and TNA with Siaki. Now there's a King of Trios team - The Fake Rocks/Rockabees.

The Nation Of Imitation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TOMORROW NIGHT AT 8 PM IS THE NIGHT

RANGERS VS CANADIENS GAME 5!

But it is also another night

WCW BASH AT THE BEACH 1997!

The Worm.

Rod the Bod.

Rodzilla.

Michael Jordan's Latest Victim.

DENNIS RODMAN STEPS INTO A WCW RING!

Rodman and Hogan take on Best Friends Lex Luger and the Giant in your main event!

In the semi main event, the worst wrestler in the world takes on the best ever:

RODDY PIPER VS RIC FLAIR! (Dave Meltzer gave this THREE STARS, so either Flair is a miracle worker in 97 or Meltzer is an insane man)

for the WCW Cruiserweight title...

CHRIS JERICHO DEFENDS AGAINST ULTIMO DRAGON!

The Steiners take on Chono and Muta

Juvi, Hector Garza and Lizmark Jr face La Parka, Psychosis and Villano IV

Chris Benoit vs THE TASKMASTER in a RETIREMENT match.

JEFF Jarrett vs Mongo for Jeff's US title!

Scott Hall and Randy "What Up Mach" Macho Man Savage vs DDP and a Mystery Partner

and in your real main event

MORTIS AND WRATH VS THE CAT AND GLACIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It all goes down at 8 PM, except for Cowboy Who? which goes down at 7:30!

and I have yet another birthday present for Coconono!!!!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling