Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was in a closed beta or something? I know I remember seeing some kind of announcement about beta invitations or something like that going out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't they have something dumb like a $1000 dollar "donation" tier that got you in immediately so you could bag the best spot for your guild house?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Didn't they have something dumb like a $1000 dollar "donation" tier that got you in immediately so you could bag the best spot for your guild house?

Has there been any unofficially leaked details regarding Pathfinder Unchained, since it's initial announcement? I could see myself playing again if these changes are cool.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

Speaking of Clusterfucks, what's up with Pathfinder Online? I haven't heard anything about that in a while now.

Decided to have a look. They are selling permanent early adopter bonusses and people started playing earlier this month. The Twitter hashtag is significantly deader than that for City of Heroes which closed down two years ago (RIP).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

Decided to have a look. They are selling permanent early adopter bonusses and people started playing earlier this month. The Twitter hashtag is significantly deader than that for City of Heroes which closed down two years ago (RIP).

So I just looked at that link, and something caught my eye.

quote:

Currently we don't have a plan to separate Test Server accounts from Live accounts. That means that any perks that are bound to your account will be consumed for both servers when used on one server. You could use your Destiny's Twin perk on the Test Server, and it would be unavailable thereafter on the Live Server.

That sounds like an excellent way to keep people from testing things on the test server. :downs:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Enzer posted:

Has anyone heard any news concerning the third book to Throne of Night? Thinking of running it as our group is almost done with Way of the Wicked, but I haven't heard an update about it since last September.

Every book in Way of the Wicked was months behind schedule so this isn't a shock.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

obeyasia posted:

Has there been any unofficially leaked details regarding Pathfinder Unchained, since it's initial announcement? I could see myself playing again if these changes are cool.

I've been skimming through the discussion thread on Paizo's site but it's short on details. I did note that PFU will not be publicly playtested.After the ACG, I fully expect the worst.

neonchameleon posted:

The current product is apparently so dubious that even folks on ENWorld are calling bullshit.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 19, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Does anyone really expect unchained to be something more than half-assed/terrible houserules?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Andrast posted:

Does anyone really expect unchained to be something more than half-assed/terrible houserules?

I could see it offering essentially a free archtype to rogue and monk. Beyond that I expect nothing from it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Someone on the Paizo boards posted this video of a Gen Con panel (link goes to the point where they start discussing Unchained).

Summary, also ripped off from the Paizo boards:

quote:

+2 Skill Points for everyone!

Barbarians get temporary hit points from rage! (no more dying the second you drop into the negatives)

New mundane Crafting System!

Fatigue resource management system for martials!

Eidolon themes!

Rogues get Danger Sense instead of Trap Sense (and it is much more awesome!)- gives bonus on Perception checks to avoid being surprised in addition to regular Trap Sense.

Sounds like they are going to make efforts to explain where/how changes will exist so that it will be easier to drop the reworked classes in place of current ones (ie, Danger Sense functions in all ways as Trap Sense for archetypes, etc.)

2 tiers of skills- Adventuring skills and other skills (craft, etc.) for which you can use your extra skill points. Background skills (like Knowledge, but very specific).

"Totally messing with the Action Economy."

(Felt that line needed a specific callout. lol)

Rogue gets new conditions to inflict on people (like hamper- cuts speed in half for a round and can't take 5 foot steps); bonus on attack rolls by weakening defenses of foes.

Redoing Rogue and Barbarian talents.

Barbarian- making "math" of rage less complicated. Keeping Raging Swim, but now just gives a swim speed.

Summoner- must pick an Outsider type when first get eidolon. Choice you make will flavor its abilities and evolutions.

Lots of other systems as well:

Can burn your fatigue pool to do new things (what you can do is determined by your feat selection; ex. do even more damage with Power Attack by making yourself more tire). Fighters- with more feats- will benefit the most. Martial characters get biggest fatigue pools (it is based off BAB and Con mod). Need a feat to buy into the system (though if you like it, just let martials have it).

Revised magic item system- items are more story based, unlock powers as you level, as opposed to getting bonuses all up front.

Monster creation system- to help make it less fiddly with the numbers and direct you in a better way to get the monster you want; less time consuming.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
If the fatigue system is anything other than insultingly underwhelming I will be shocked.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

quote:

We are also thinking about ways to address the holes some of you have discovered in the terrain. They are an artifact of Grome, the tool we use to generate the huge landscape of the Crusader Road. There is an interaction between hills and roads that sometimes causes a point to be displaced from the terrain near road bends in hills, causing a pit. The team is investigating several short term and long term ways to address these pits.

ahahaha.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Libertad! posted:

I haven't been keeping close track, but there's this huge drama around the Kickstarter (which reached its goal around mid-2012).

Basically being months behind schedule, not giving any updates, and when the first book releases on Drive-Thru RPG for sale doesn't give the promised copies to the Kickstarter folks. Same for the second one, which also releases on DTRPG under the same circumstances.

There's a big thread over on the Paizo forums, with people getting upset towards the latter ends.

All in all, a clusterfuck.

Ugh that is miserable.

As someone pointed out, WotW was behind on releases, but we started when the majority of the books were already out. If Throne of Night had three books out we'd be more comfortable starting it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for any campaigns that involves kingdom building (something the players are all interested in) that isn't Kingmaker?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Enzer posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for any campaigns that involves kingdom building (something the players are all interested in) that isn't Kingmaker?

Run a custom campaign using the Kingmaker rules (or the Ultimate Campaign rules, for that matter)? I don't think anyone has put out a true sandbox kingdom building campaign since Kingmaker. Sandbox campaigns are actually easier to run in some ways than normal ones because in a lot of cases you can just wing it. They're also harder in other ways (and Kingmaker is an example of this because the plot thread is mostly nonexistent between modules, and that can be a real problem in sandboxes).

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Zurai posted:

Run a custom campaign using the Kingmaker rules (or the Ultimate Campaign rules, for that matter)? I don't think anyone has put out a true sandbox kingdom building campaign since Kingmaker. Sandbox campaigns are actually easier to run in some ways than normal ones because in a lot of cases you can just wing it. They're also harder in other ways (and Kingmaker is an example of this because the plot thread is mostly nonexistent between modules, and that can be a real problem in sandboxes).

The Ultimate Campaign rules for hex exploration and kingdom building are fantastic, and it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to get a small map up with a load of interesting encounters and features. If you want to get down to the nitty-gritty of each Thorp's economy you can do that, or you can hand-wave most of it and still have a decent map your players can stomp through and feel important/powerful. There are a few tools out there that will help you draw up the actual hex maps, and it's pretty easy to get up and running.

As something of a shameless plug, the second adventure module my partners and I are planning to release in May will feature a hex-exploration section using the Ultimate Campaign rules, and the PCs can earn titles and land in a small frontier town to make use of the downtime rules. We don't go full-on Kingmaker with it, but there's a lot of exploration to be done, interesting locations and side-quests, and the decisions the PCs make and the relationships with the NPCs in town and throughout the hex map affect the story in various ways.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Sorry if this isn't the right place to post stuff like this, but I've been working on a homebrew caster class for PF and I was hoping for some advice/pointers.

Blue Mage. (Name in progress. Also considering Siphon Mage?)
It's a Con based spellcaster with a very small spell list and an equally small spells per day that acts as a backup to their main ability; spell absorption. If an enemy casts, for example, Burning Hands at a Blue Mage, they can absorb a portion of the spells magic in to themselves. They take an amount of damage and then get a single cast of the spell at whatever caster level the original caster was at, unless it's higher then the Blue Mages own. Once a spell is "absorbed" in this manner, the Blue Mage has it on their spell list.

It's rough right now but what do people think of the basic idea?

HnK416 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 22, 2015

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Spells need to disappear from the absorbed list after a certain period of time, like a week. Or there needs to be some other way to manage and limit it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

zachol posted:

Spells need to disappear from the absorbed list after a certain period of time, like a week. Or there needs to be some other way to manage and limit it.

Second pool of Spells Known slots, gain new ones at level up, X times per level, replace a spell in a slot lower than max level, can use higher level slots to learn lower level spells with no other benefit.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Tentatively if it were sorcerer spells known (total) and wizard spells per day that... might be okay?
Most of my doubts have to do with mixing divine and arcane spell lists, which is obviously also the point. If you somehow limited it to "only offensive spells (and not buffs)" then things get a lot more palatable, but that would be tricky to define.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

zachol posted:

Tentatively if it were sorcerer spells known (total) and wizard spells per day that... might be okay?
Most of my doubts have to do with mixing divine and arcane spell lists, which is obviously also the point. If you somehow limited it to "only offensive spells (and not buffs)" then things get a lot more palatable, but that would be tricky to define.

I should have put it in the description, but the intent is very much so for it only to be used for Arcane spells.

As for the spells known, what I was picturing was something similar to how the Beguiler from 3.5 does its spells, but with the stipulation that the Blue Mage's spells known list is impressively small. Same goes for the spells per day.

How I'm thinking of handling the absorbing is that they can only absorb and recast a limited times per day, but spells absorbed get add to the known list. It seems a little much but at the moment spells for a 1st level Blue Mage are 3 0 level and 0 1st level per day. The idea really is not for them to rely on native casting, but to use it as a backup.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

If it's arcane only, that makes it a lot easier.
Maybe restrict it to spells that allow a save or SR, require they save/resist a spell before absorbing it, give them SR starting at like 5th level, have absorbed spells stick residually for a week, allow a certain number of spells per level (like, 1 or 2) to be incorporated into their permanent repertoire, and say they can also incorporate arcane spells by reading off a scroll to just make character creation after first level less of a pain and to head off nonsense like trying to get a wizard PC or NPC to cast on you.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

zachol posted:

If it's arcane only, that makes it a lot easier.
Maybe restrict it to spells that allow a save or SR, require they save/resist a spell before absorbing it, give them SR starting at like 5th level, have absorbed spells stick residually for a week, allow a certain number of spells per level (like, 1 or 2) to be incorporated into their permanent repertoire, and say they can also incorporate arcane spells by reading off a scroll to just make character creation after first level less of a pain and to head off nonsense like trying to get a wizard PC or NPC to cast on you.

Good ideas. The other big idea that I've been toying with for why the class can do all of it is that instead of learning spells like a Wizard or having inherent abilities like a Sorcerer, they can simple manipulate magic energy. They get hit by a spell, pull the energy in to themselves and then re-purpose it, but in order to do this it takes a certain toll on the body, which is the reason I have Con as their casting stat.
To go along with that, I had an idea of giving them a small-ish point pool and selection of ways they can use it, though adding that might be too much if they have the spell absorbing and traditional spellcasting, no matter how limited those are.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Ok so I'm running a PFS scenario on Monday, called Haunting of Hinojai. The combat is hard, and it uses haunts that range from minorly annoying to save or die, in both 5-6 and 8-9 tiers. Levels 5-6 has DC16 Phantasmal Killer, levels 8-9 has CL9, DC20 Finger of Death.

Save or die trap is lame in general. Levels 8-9 can deal with it, but in levels 5-6 it's super lame. No one can raise dead and buying a resurrection is really expensive for that level. Not to mention that they'd have to grab the body if someone dies, then take them to a temple or whatever, resurrect them, then everyone goes back to the spooky mansion. I want to replace Phantasmal Killer with something else, and was thinking of something like DC16 fort, or be knocked unconscious to -8HP for some sense of urgency, and hit with a DC17 to remove Bestow Curse as if it were cast by the boss.

I want the trap to hurt, but just loving someone in a way that they can't deal with is stupid and a waste of everybody's time. But just removing the trap is also sorta boring, just wanted to make sure the sub wasn't too harsh. If there's no one who can raise dead in high tier, I'd do something similar. I don't think I'm allowed to do this by PFS rules but I sorta don't care.

edits

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 24, 2015

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

sugar free jazz posted:

Levels 8-9 can deal with it, but in levels 5-6 it's super lame. No one can raise dead and buying a resurrection is really expensive for that level.
I thought you could get resurrected relatively easily at that level but the mechanics for how that works is odd given that its different from regular Pathfinder society.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Well, it's 5,450gp or 16 prestige for raise dead, which is a lot for 5-6, and the spooky mansion this is happening in is in a rural area with the nearest town having a population of 350, and spellcasting of 4th level, so no raise dead. I could cough and say there's a traveling cleric or whatever going through town or something, but that's still a whole assload of resources for a 5-6, and by the time they got back all of the haunts would have reset. Everyone could pitch in and soften the blow a bit, but I can't count on that happening.

It's actual PFS, I just personally am willing to bend the rules when the rules are stupid, like someone wasting their whole night or spending half their cash because whoops you rolled a 10 and have a fort save of 5, sorry! FWIW a lot of the comments about the scenario mention that it's hard, and I let everyone know it's hard before hand. The idea of Scooby Doo But You might Die is hilarious to me though, which is why I picked it.

If I'm off base about stuff let me know, I've only GMed 5 scenarios.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

PFS really needs a rule where if you die during an adventure, that adventure just doesn't count as a whole (as if you hadn't attended the session). As it stands, the record-keeping rules feel like they'll just promote bad air with the GM who "has their hands tied" or whatever.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I'm running a Kingmaker game and I just finished the first book. Neither me, nor anyone else in the group has any previous experience with kingdom building, the system, and how it works. What's the easiest way to pick this system up and be able to roll with it?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Paizo came out with an entire book devoted to downtime activity, kingdom building, NPC relationships, and other "supplemental game systems" to enhance normal adventures, called Ultimate Campaign. It's hands-down one of the best books they've ever made, and it has decently designed systems for all sorts of things. Our groups were using houserules and old, third-party stuff from the 3.5-era for some of the systems anyway, and the new book codified everything really well.

I really recommend buying the book, but the rules are also on the d20pfsrd. Here are the Kingdom Rules, and here are the broader Downtime Rules.

The rules get very specific and detailed, but you can pretty much always just wave your GM wand over anything you don't want to bother learning or dealing with. If your players really like the idea of running a business, let them roll things out and roleplay being a business owner. Use the random events table to see what happens to their business. Maybe a customer badmouths you and you lose money. Maybe there's a fire! If they just want a bakery as a business to make money, roll XdY for the gold generated and move on.

Kingmaker is a fun adventure because your players can really carve out part of the map and develop it themselves, however they want. Depending on how much detail you and your players want in the downtime, and how much time you're all willing to put in, the adventure can be pretty much as sandboxy as you like.

I'm not entirely sure what the easiest way to pick the whole system out would be, but I would encourage you to read the rules for kingdom building (NOT the Kingmaker adventure content!) with your players and decide as a group how much detail/time the kingdom building parts would be. Explain the sort of things they could do, and try to gauge how interested they seem in all of it, and then just roll with it.

masam
May 27, 2010
Does anyone have any advice for using the semi newly released Maximum xcrawl rules? i've heard wonderful things and am kinda stumped as to how to switch my fairly standard fantasy guys over to something, slightly more modern with a less serious twist. (although they never have a problem ruining any serious moment they ask me to include so being terrible adventuring celebrities should be right up their ally.)

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Don't know, since I haven't seen them- the previous X-Crawl rules had the flaw of "everything of value in the book is contained within the elevator pitch" and the previews do absolutely nothing to dispel that notion.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
With less threadshitting: basically ask them if they want to play and then roll with it. Don't plan too far ahead aside from maybe creating some NPC foils and having a general idea of what sort of dungeon you'd like to throw at them next. If they grow bored or restless then try to work with them to engage them. Throw them into dungeons and then glam poo poo up.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I don't play PFS, but this news is something of an admission of system bloat: http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lh0h?Introducing-the-Core-Campaign

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Paolomania posted:

I don't play PFS, but this news is something of an admission of system bloat: http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lh0h?Introducing-the-Core-Campaign

Wow, this is a fantastic way to remove literally everything interesting and original that Pathfinder ever invented.

LightWarden posted:

Don't know, since I haven't seen them- the previous X-Crawl rules had the flaw of "everything of value in the book is contained within the elevator pitch" and the previews do absolutely nothing to dispel that notion.

The "World" preview starts off with what's literally and explicitly a quote some random dude from ENWorld.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Core is literally the worst part of Pathfinder.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Who, who on earth is going "Pathfinder's fun, but can you strip away all the interesting things you added over time to make it different than just 3.5 repackaged as a reactionary cash grab to fight WotC?!"

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Who, who on earth is going "Pathfinder's fun, but can you strip away all the interesting things you added over time to make it different than just 3.5 repackaged as a reactionary cash grab to fight WotC?!"
"Core is perfectly balanced, the only broken things come from stuff outside the Player's Handbook" has been a thing in every system ever.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean, the main advantage that I can see is that it drops the barrier-to-entry for PFS for new players, while giving people that have played PFS forever an incentive to play with said new players, using the same limited set of books.

Which, in theory, solves a problem specific to PFS, because theoretically, you need to actually own a bunch of books and can't just use the SRD.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut PFS is kind of a dumb shitshow of some of the worst sorts of turbonerds anyway, so I don't know how much it really helps matters.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Froghammer posted:

"Core is perfectly balanced, the only broken things come from stuff outside the Player's Handbook" has been a thing in every system ever.

Except The Un-System, where core was the most unbalanced piece of poo poo. You know the one.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

That's a pretty terrible idea, whatevs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Transient People posted:

Except The Un-System, where core was the most unbalanced piece of poo poo. You know the one.

Pathfinder?