Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Phylodox posted:

I wonder who's gonna play Wuher.

Nick Frost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Know whats sad?

I know he hates droids but found a special booze making one and used Greedos corpse to turn into the perfect corpse wine Hutts love.

:stare:

I am going to slowly back out of this thread now, a la Homer and the hedgerow.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Know whats sad?

I know he hates droids but found a special booze making one and used Greedos corpse to turn into the perfect corpse wine Hutts love.

Thats not sad at all, that was the most memorable story in that Tales Of Mos Eisley book. Well, except for maybe that mind swapping story involving the wanted man and the alien Obi-wan chopped the arm off of.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Metal Loaf posted:

This is pretty interesting. I like his reasoning, and I might try watching the films in that order at some point. Still, one issue that stands out is the line in Episode II, where one character mentions that Nute Gunray has been put on trial several times without being removed from his position as leader of the Trade Federation. Wouldn't the exclusion of Episode I potentially make the meaning of this line a trifle obscure?

Nobody has to suffer through Episode One just to understand one line of exposition in Episode Two.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, for the most part, you get the impression the dude's a dick who did some bad poo poo involving Naboo in the past, got caught, but wasn't punished. And now he's joining up with the separatist movement. Bad guy joins group of bad guys which establishes the movement is bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose that's true; perhaps it makes the fictional universe seem a bit more lived-in (kind of like how we don't need to know what the Kessel Run is, just that Han Solo claims he can make it in less than twelve parsecs). It's not so different from the Jedi talking about Dooku at the beginning of the movie in that respect.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Metal Loaf posted:

I was wondering about the use of Dengar. I thought he was meant to be only a few years older than Han Solo, and that he didn't become a bounty hunter until after the Empire took over.

You're assuming TCW gives a poo poo about canon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

vkeios posted:

Thats not sad at all, that was the most memorable story in that Tales Of Mos Eisley book. Well, except for maybe that mind swapping story involving the wanted man and the alien Obi-wan chopped the arm off of.

Not hating on Tales mind you, I loving loved Jabbas Palace and Mos Eisley.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Normally I don't worry too much about what's canon and what isn't; it's easy enough to pick out the best stuff and ignore what doesn't fit. Unfortunately, The Clone Wars sometimes seems so far removed from everything else that it gets kind of hard to ignore.

Speaking of the Tales series, has anybody read Tales From the New Republic? Is it any good? It's the only one I never got around to reading.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ecureuilmatrix posted:

So I think this guy makes an interesting point; I don't agree with everything he says though, homogeneizing the fans a bit too much for starters, the title seems chosen for shock value, but well:

I'm not sure we can isolate Star Wars from the rest of the Lucassphere this easily, however...

Interesting article, although it's strange the author chose Zahn, Traviss, and Stover to contrast to Lucas, as I think those three (along with KJA) are the EU authors who are most likely to attract new readers of their entire works from their Star Wars work.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
There literally isn't a single scene in the prequels that makes any sense at all. We are all guilty of existing on a planet that allows George Lucas to continue drawing breath.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is actually true. The Clone Wars TV series is a higher level of canon of the rest of the EU, so everything that came before it (except the most recent version of the 6 movies, deleted scenes that don't contradict the events of the movies and every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of George Lucas) can go straight to hell.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Out of interest, what allusions were made to the Clone Wars before the prequel films were released? What did most of the EU creators assume it involved? The only references that come to mind were Pellaeon recalling how he fought an army of rogue clones in one of Zahn's Thrawn books, and some unreleased RPG material about an evil geneticist who participated in the conflict.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The normal authors and the showrunner do, Lucas doesn't. That's were things like Force planets, small Stealth ships or the new Ryloth come from. And who can actually tell the owner of Star Wars and the guy underwriting your paycheque how to handle canon, besides maybe his daughter?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

astrollinthepork posted:

So why has nobody mentioned that the menus on the blu-rays are atrocious? The bonus discs with the deleted scenes are the worst offenders. Instead of sorting stuff out by type of feature, they sort it by movie, then setting (like hoth or tatooine), then finally by feature. This is also my first experience with blu-rays, and I was really never aware that everything takes for-loving-ever to load. That compounded with the convoluted menus makes everything way more tedious than it should be.
I can't think of any other Blu-ray tht I own that takes longer to load and is more annoying to navigate than these movies.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'd like to try and imagine if George Lucas and TCR writers and marketeers were given the job instead in trying to chronicle and sell the history and progresses of man.

Now that is simply terrifying.

Saharan Fiend
Apr 19, 2009

When barkless
hounds ruled
the world...

Metal Loaf posted:

Out of interest, what allusions were made to the Clone Wars before the prequel films were released? What did most of the EU creators assume it involved? The only references that come to mind were Pellaeon recalling how he fought an army of rogue clones in one of Zahn's Thrawn books, and some unreleased RPG material about an evil geneticist who participated in the conflict.

Luke: "You fought in the Clone Wars?"
Ben: "Yes, I was once a Jedi knight, same as your father."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
In Leia's little holographic message, she also tells Obi-Wan "You served my father during the clone wars", doesn't she?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I know about that. What I'm curious about is whether any EU writers tried to introduce their ideas about what they thought the Clone Wars were about.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
If I remember right, they weren't allowed to address it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Seemlar posted:

If I remember right, they weren't allowed to address it.

They weren't allowed to get into details, but a few authors still dropped a bit of details here and there. For example, the RPG games and Stackpole's X-wing books mentioned that Alderaan was originally a military superpower during the war, but its atrocities made them decide to go pacifist after the war. Star destroyers were also said to have first been built during the war, which I guess is still generally accurate.

The Marvel Star Wars comics had some weird interpretations. In one issue, there's a flashback that shows how Palpatine (already emperor) sent the Mandalorians on a mission to assassinate Leia (already a senator) during the war. That makes no sense now, but it also didn't really make sense timeline-wise at the time.

Some it also came from Lucas. For example, in the ESB production stuff, the Mandalorians were originally defines as a group of warriors defeated by the Jedi during the Clone Wars. Then, there was the fact that the Clone Wars were originally set as ending 35 years before A New Hope; Palpatine was elected at the end of the war, and there was a long time of peace between the war's end and the creation of the Empire/purge of the Jedi. That apparently all came from Lucas to guide the EU in the early 90s, and of course turned out differently.

(Yet more evidence that Lucas didn't have his 'singular vision' since the 70s - the history of the Sith in the early 90s was the same way. The Sith stuff in Tales of the Jedi all came from notes and interviews with Lucas, and were totally contradicted by his new Sith backstory when TPM came out).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Huh. Those points actually sound much better than what Lucas decided to go with when he made the prequel movies. They make more sense when you take the original trilogy into account, a good exmaple being the mention of the abolition of the Imperial senate in Episode IV.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Decius posted:

The normal authors and the showrunner do, Lucas doesn't. That's were things like Force planets, small Stealth ships or the new Ryloth come from. And who can actually tell the owner of Star Wars and the guy underwriting your paycheque how to handle canon, besides maybe his daughter?

This is why Star Trek got better after Roddenberry died. You never could have had DS9 and it's flawed characters while he was around.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My wife and I have been plowing through the blu-ray set, having never cared much about the series or watched much more than parts of The Phantom Menace, Sith, and A New Hope in several years (Clones not at all), the noticeable changes in the originals (CG, that stupid dance song in Jedi) weren't AS bad as I'd been led to believe over the years.

Having just finished watching them in the I - VI order, I gotta say, A New Hope was our favorite by a pretty wide margin. Empire was good, but I didn't really think it was AMAZING like most seem to say. Jedi was good except for the Ewok parts. Jabba's lair would have been much more imposing and interesting without the Solo/Jabba scene that was added back in to New Hope, and the retarded lounge singing. I really enjoyed the Jabba puppet too. Just looked cool.

Overall, I'd say Ian McDiarmid was probably my favorite thing in all six movies. I really liked his acting, whether it was low key or UNLIMITED POWER.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ralph McQuarrie has died today. I'm really bummed. He had just as big a role as Lucas or John Williams in turning Star Wars into the landmark icon it became. It's a drat shame.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Ralph McQuarrie has died today. I'm really bummed. He had just as big a role as Lucas or John Williams in turning Star Wars into the landmark icon it became. It's a drat shame.

Nooo. His Star Wars art, especially the concept stuff was wonderful.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

Speaking of the Tales series, has anybody read Tales From the New Republic? Is it any good? It's the only one I never got around to reading.

Its good just for the Zahn/Stackpole colab and a Mara Jade short by Zahn, but some of the other stories where decent/good too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Come to think of it, there was a Tales From the Empire as well, wasn't there? How was it, if anybody has read it?

I think Tales Of the Bounty Hunters must have been the first EU book I read. I really enjoyed the Dengar story and the Fett story, didn't like the IG-88 story very much (though a lot of people seem to dislike that one) and I had no strong opinions one way or the other on the rest.

Mos Eisley Cantina and Jabba's Palace are probably my favourites, though, maybe the former moreso than the latter.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

As awesome as the tales books were, sadly afterwards every character in Star Wars suddenly more or less seemed to be involved in everyone elses back stories which were all linked to the films.

Basically, turning Star Wars into Cheers.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Come to think of it, there was a Tales From the Empire as well, wasn't there? How was it, if anybody has read it?

It has a short story each by Zahn and Stackpole, as well as a novella co-written by both of them, and it's definitely worth reading for those alone. I also remember liking the story "Retreat from Coruscant" which kind of links the end of the Thrawn Trilogy to the start of Dark Empire.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I can't remember if it was Tales of the Empire or Tales of the New Republic but one of them has a story where Boba Fett takes out an entire Empire base and it was loving badass. It's the cool thing to hate on Fett and Mandalorians now but gently caress y'all that story was great!

EDIT: Or at least it was when I was a teen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Of all the Boba Fett stories written before Attack Of the Clones and the reinvention of the Mandalorians by Karen Traviss, my favourite was the Enemy Of the Empire comic. It was reprinted alongside Outlander in the UK Star Wars comic when I was about seven or eight (around the time Episode I came out) and I thought it was terrific.

It's probably nostalgia, but I read it recently and I still think it holds up. Sometimes, it's fun to read about Boba Fett just being a bounty hunter without having to worry about him being a clone or a Mandalorian.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

It's probably nostalgia, but I read it recently and I still think it holds up. Sometimes, it's fun to read about Boba Fett just being a bounty hunter without having to worry about him being a clone or a Mandalorian.

Or how he was a moral man with a code of ethics to make him more like those gritty anti-heros that are all the rage among 15 year olds

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Last week I was telling the folktale Turtle of Koka to a group of pre-school children, and you will be pleased to know that one of the kids suggested a lightsaber. He told me that he saw a lightsaber break a turtle's shell in Episode I. :3:

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

Sometimes you have to go against your family to save the world.
The Jeter Fett novels were about Fett just being a cold-blooded Bounty Hunter too, weren't they?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WhyteRyce posted:

Or how he was a moral man with a code of ethics to make him more like those gritty anti-heros that are all the rage among 15 year olds

Well, my only defence is that that's roughly the age I was when I read most of the Expanded Universe books available at the time. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you meant by your post, though. Like I say, my preferences are probably informed by nostalgia.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Chairman Capone posted:

Came to this thread for the first time in ages because I just found out about his death, too. What a swell start of the week. :smith:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

Well, my only defence is that that's roughly the age I was when I read most of the Expanded Universe books available at the time. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you meant by your post, though. Like I say, my preferences are probably informed by nostalgia.

I was talking about that Tales of the Bounty Hunters short story

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Crimson Dragoon posted:

The Jeter Fett novels were about Fett just being a cold-blooded Bounty Hunter too, weren't they?

I will defend those novels as really fun to read if you ignore the fact that none of it makes much sense. Like at all. There's a really good breakdown of them in the Terrible Star Wars novel thread and the goon who did it had a running flow chart of who was stabbing who in the back at any one time. Pretty much they're 3 books of Boba Fett being better than everyone else in the universe. For some goons that makes them terrible. Those goons hate fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Epi Lepi posted:

I will defend those novels as really fun to read if you ignore the fact that none of it makes much sense. Like at all. There's a really good breakdown of them in the Terrible Star Wars novel thread and the goon who did it had a running flow chart of who was stabbing who in the back at any one time. Pretty much they're 3 books of Boba Fett being better than everyone else in the universe. For some goons that makes them terrible. Those goons hate fun.

For those who don't want to hunt it down, here's the awesome chart by Slantedfloors:

I'd give a spoiler warning, but it doesn't even make any sense if you've read the books.