Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Well, I'm getting REALLY REALLY GOOD at restoring the stock image. :v:

I'm seeing that ROM Manager can't detect a stock 2.3 Captivate, and so I'm trying a different pre-CwM'd Kernel. After that, I'll try ICSSGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Factory Factory posted:

Well, I'm getting REALLY REALLY GOOD at restoring the stock image. :v:

I'm seeing that ROM Manager can't detect a stock 2.3 Captivate, and so I'm trying a different pre-CwM'd Kernel. After that, I'll try ICSSGS.

Good, you found the thread I was going to link you to with the CWM-injected kernels. That's probably your best bet.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
:qq: It worked. I'm in the OS, and I haven't seen a crash message for thirty seconds, a new record.

I am going to go drink myself stupid. I'm so glad I might be able to put off a new phone just a little bit longer.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I'm using MeanROM on my Evo 3D, and it's very fast and stable. No issues so far that I've noticed, other than the occasional ghost SMS LED notification when there are no unread SMSes. However, there's a notification icon shown in the left whenever the keyboard is displayed. This appears to be consistent across other ICS roms I've tried. Is there any way to disable it? It's useless to me and a minor annoyance.

I'm pretty sure the Evo 3D ICS roms are still being based on the Virgin Mobile leak, so it might go away when the Sprint firmware drops, but I figured I'd check.

If there are any ICS AOSP roms with a working camera, I'd love to hear about those as well, or even any other decent Sense-based ICS roms.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Krittick posted:

However, there's a notification icon shown in the left whenever the keyboard is displayed. This appears to be consistent across other ICS roms I've tried. Is there any way to disable it? It's useless to me and a minor annoyance.
You can no longer bring up the choose keyboard option by long-pressing a text input field so that's the way it's done now.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

LastInLine posted:

You can no longer bring up the choose keyboard option by long-pressing a text input field so that's the way it's done now.

For all ICS-based roms? That's a retarded "feature" considering I change keyboards so rarely that I'm quite happy doing it in the settings menu instead. Why do I need two places to do the same thing?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Krittick posted:

For all ICS-based roms? That's a retarded "feature" considering I change keyboards so rarely that I'm quite happy doing it in the settings menu instead. Why do I need two places to do the same thing?

It's how it is in Ice Cream Sandwich. The idea is to get rid of long presses since they're retarded. Sometimes you need to change IMEs midstream, a temporary notification is a small price to pay.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Edit: Samsung blocked the app. I tried Vlingo and aside from you having to let it know when you've stopped speaking it is the best app i've used so far.

b0nes fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 21, 2012

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

b0nes posted:

S Voice from the leaked SGSIII rom is out. I am about to test it and I uploaded it just for you guys.
https://www.box.com/s/b46d00a9416d32f773d0

What are the requirements for this to work? Do I have to have a Samsung device? Do I have to run ICS? Or would my CM 7.2 Xperia Arc work? Going to download and try regardless, but thought I'd at least ask.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

b0nes posted:

S Voice from the leaked SGSIII rom is out. I am about to test it and I uploaded it just for you guys.
https://www.box.com/s/b46d00a9416d32f773d0

I tried it last night. It's nothing more than Vlingo, rebranded (from what I could tell). Asked it "Facebook stock quote" and it opened up Facebook for me to post a status update :v:

It has bugs from what I've read. I uninstalled it within a few minutes. If you want a functional .apk of this app, just download the proper Vlingo app. It seems to be the same thing.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Boywunda posted:

What are the requirements for this to work? Do I have to have a Samsung device? Do I have to run ICS? Or would my CM 7.2 Xperia Arc work? Going to download and try regardless, but thought I'd at least ask.

Just be running ICS. Here is the XDA thread. Can't get it to run on my Nexus.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1662552&page=1

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
All it spits out for me is "Network error. Please try again." on a solid wifi connection. Meh. The Dragon Go! addon with swype works pretty well for when I have the urge to talk at my phone.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Boywunda posted:

"There is a problem parsing the package"...shucks. I'm not happy with the current ICS ROMs for my Arc, still some bugs with video and video recording that I don't want to make the daily jump to ICS, so I'll stick to CM 7.2, that I love so much.

I'll give Vlingo a try, never heard of it. I have a sneaky feeling it's going to be an app that I might like for a few hours and never use it again.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
I have used voice commands for two different things - sending a text while driving, and setting an alarm before bed. I shouldn't have to talk to my phone to launch a different app, that's what making an organized launcher is for.

Vlingo was alright, but I couldn't find any way to bring it into my daily use.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

AppleCobbler posted:

I have used voice commands for two different things - sending a text while driving, and setting an alarm before bed. I shouldn't have to talk to my phone to launch a different app, that's what making an organized launcher is for.

Vlingo was alright, but I couldn't find any way to bring it into my daily use.

I use voice control a lot. Notes to self are really helpful, I use it to get directions (rather than typing the address in), plus calling people when I'm driving, texting while driving, etc.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I remember on cm7 you could set a different color notification led for emails and missed calls. How do I do that in cm9?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

metachronos posted:

I remember on cm7 you could set a different color notification led for emails and missed calls. How do I do that in cm9?
It's in the latest nightly (maybe one or two back missed call was added, the others have been in for a while).

I think it's under Settings > Display but I don't remember for certain.

This is on the Galaxy Nexus, I'm not sure it's there for all devices.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Fleece as white as snow in a city
I'm happily using CM9 releases on my Galaxy S. I was wondering, though, whether or not it's possibly to somehow implement some functionalities from touchwiz or if some rom already does so? For instance, the calling/texting and brightness adjustment with swipes is really useful, but most mods don't seem to be using those.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jack Flint posted:

I'm happily using CM9 releases on my Galaxy S. I was wondering, though, whether or not it's possibly to somehow implement some functionalities from touchwiz or if some rom already does so? For instance, the calling/texting and brightness adjustment with swipes is really useful, but most mods don't seem to be using those.

CM9 does implement the sliding brightness adjustment but you need to enable it first.

edit: Settings > System > Status Bar, then check the Brightness Control option at the bottom. It works a little differently than touchwiz; you need to press and hold first before you slide.

nimper fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 22, 2012

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
CM9 on the Nexus is coming along just fine - the nightlies are good enough for daily driving and the features are finally starting to pour in.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

It dropped this one my US/English rear end:

For future reference, in Windows, you can copy the contents of a message box with Control+C. It's a handy way to extract the exact error text for googling/translating.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Gyshall posted:

CM9 on the Nexus is coming along just fine - the nightlies are good enough for daily driving and the features are finally starting to pour in.

There's multiple posts on the previous two pages about how it is not daily driver material. Has something changed in that amount of time?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Thermopyle posted:

There's multiple posts on the previous two pages about how it is not daily driver material. Has something changed in that amount of time?

Galaxy Nexus, I meant. Oops.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

LastInLine posted:

It's in the latest nightly (maybe one or two back missed call was added, the others have been in for a while).

I think it's under Settings > Display but I don't remember for certain.

This is on the Galaxy Nexus, I'm not sure it's there for all devices.

If I'm just upgrading to a new nightly I just need to wipe cache and dalvik right? Not data?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

metachronos posted:

If I'm just upgrading to a new nightly I just need to wipe cache and dalvik right? Not data?
You shouldn't have to wipe anything.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You shouldn't have to wipe anything.

It's still a good idea to wipe dalvik and cache to prevent bootloops. The extra minute in the first boot isn't exactly a huge deal.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

grack posted:

It's still a good idea to wipe dalvik and cache to prevent bootloops. The extra minute in the first boot isn't exactly a huge deal.

That's exactly what happened. Now I can't even boot into recovery. gently caress.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Galaxy Nexus, I meant. Oops.
In my personal experience and according to the xda thread it's hilariously broken on the Galaxy Nexus. Most of the problems are on wifi (random battery drain on wifi, notifications stop working on wifi, wifi constantly drops) but not all (911 doesn't work, data randomly drops, kernel panics).

Did they actually fix the broken wifi or the 911 issue? Random data drop and kernel panics seem to be an issue with stock as well so I'm not surprised to see them in CM9.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

grack posted:

It's still a good idea to wipe dalvik and cache to prevent bootloops.
Ugh, something is really broken then. This should never happen.

The dalvik cache will rebuild itself on first boot anyways whenever framework changes are present. The only benefit to clearing the dalvik cache should be to get rid of dex files for applications that have been removed without an explicit uninstall. Granted, wiping shouldn't be harmful either--the first boot even takes just as long.

If you're getting boot loops, you're probably seeing file system corruption. That said, I have gotten ext4 file system corruption in CM9 because ICS does an emergency remount read-only just prior to reboot, which it shouldn't do because it marks the journal clean despite the presence of deleted/orphan files. Then on reboot, the journal isn't replayed (since it's marked clean) to clean up these files, which results in the file system being in an inconsistent state.

I guess I had assumed at the time that for devices that officially run ext4 (Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, etc.) they had patched the kernel to do an unconditional journal replay. I mean, they couldn't possibly release devices on the market that very obviously have file system corruption on every reboot right?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
For what it's worth, it is suggested to do davlik cache, cache and full wipe if you're swapping between AOSP (Cm7) and Sense UI roms. This does not apply in this particular case, but in my experience you can and will get bootloops if you don't. For the record, I don't use ext4 recovery, just plain old clockwork mod.

I don't know why this is the case but it has happened to me before. :shobon:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Slopehead posted:

For what it's worth, it is suggested to do davlik cache, cache and full wipe if you're swapping between AOSP (Cm7) and Sense UI roms.
Full wipe definitely. Aside from dalvik weirdness, which can happen in that situation, sometimes the configuration/data formats between AOSP packages and identically-named but modified OEM packages can change and break each other.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The other circumstance in which it's "expected" that wiping dalvik cache solves bootloops is if the dalvik cache is installed on the /cache partition, and that partition is too small. If so, the device config is wrong and it should be using /data to store the dalvik cache instead.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Okay so my phone (Incredible 2) is bootlooping and holding power + volume down is NOT letting me into recovery. Am I hosed?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I imagine you can RUU back to stock, then go through whatever motions to re-root. But I'm not an HTC restore expert, perhaps someone else can clarify the exact procedure.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Looking at maybe picking up a Galaxy S3 but I'm on Rogers in Canada so I have no idea what that means for potential ROM availability. Part of me just wants to buy Nexus devices forever ever since I got my Evo 3D GSM and it's like the red headed stepchild of development. I know Galaxy phones tend to be fragmented to a variant per carrier but was that an actual barrier for developing and porting ROMs?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

LastInLine posted:

In my personal experience and according to the xda thread it's hilariously broken on the Galaxy Nexus. Most of the problems are on wifi (random battery drain on wifi, notifications stop working on wifi, wifi constantly drops) but not all (911 doesn't work, data randomly drops, kernel panics).

Did they actually fix the broken wifi or the 911 issue? Random data drop and kernel panics seem to be an issue with stock as well so I'm not surprised to see them in CM9.

I use this thing every day and haven't had a problem, or any of what you described. I flash the new nightly every day as well.

For what it is worth, I do flash the latest Franco Kernel right over top once I'm done flashing the nightly, so that might have something to do with it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I guess I had assumed at the time that for devices that officially run ext4 (Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, etc.) they had patched the kernel to do an unconditional journal replay. I mean, they couldn't possibly release devices on the market that very obviously have file system corruption on every reboot right?

My thought process has always been - if something stupid can happen, it will happen. Especially when you get in to the habit of flashing custom roms (or stock rom updates from companies with hilariously inept development teams a la LG).

Besides, wiping cache and dalvik takes what, 30 seconds through CWM? Less than that with touch CWM versions? Might as well, just to cut out one more possible point of failure.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
Sorry if this gets asked a lot, but I've been using the stock Android on my Sprint HTC EVO 3D for an age and a half. Sense 3.6 isn't blowing me out of the water, so I'm looking for an ICS alternative to that. Have there been any good daily drivers coming out of the woodwork lately for that phone?

And, for the record, I think Sense 4.0 is fine. :ohdear:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

grack posted:

My thought process has always been - if something stupid can happen, it will happen. Especially when you get in to the habit of flashing custom roms (or stock rom updates from companies with hilariously inept development teams a la LG).

Besides, wiping cache and dalvik takes what, 30 seconds through CWM? Less than that with touch CWM versions? Might as well, just to cut out one more possible point of failure.

I'd avoid the touch-based CWM. Lots of people have had issues with it. I just flashed the smelkus recovery, which is based on Amon-Ra. It rules, and it has a built in 3x flash everything mode. One click, and it triple-deletes the caches, user data, and everything needed. Sure, its overkill, but I had a problem with my previous version of SOS where I only deleted everything once. Now I religiously do the 3x delete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

sharkytm posted:

I'd avoid the touch-based CWM. Lots of people have had issues with it. I just flashed the smelkus recovery, which is based on Amon-Ra. It rules, and it has a built in 3x flash everything mode. One click, and it triple-deletes the caches, user data, and everything needed. Sure, its overkill, but I had a problem with my previous version of SOS where I only deleted everything once. Now I religiously do the 3x delete.

True, but it depends on what device you have.

I have an LG Nitro HD right now - touch-based CWM is pretty well the only game in town.