Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Uh. Yes? In Japan, at least.

Even moreso in the early 2000s, and the author used the timeskip to redesign many of the characters to be even easier to cosplay.

That's one reason I kind of admire Squaresoft and their decision to make all Final Fantasy characters from IX onward insanely difficult to accurately cosplay by adding 1000% tiny metal gewgaws to every outfit or utilizing fabric that forms and drapes in ways no earthly fabric ever could. It's a weaponized cosplay arms race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's one reason I kind of admire Squaresoft and their decision to make all Final Fantasy characters from IX onward insanely difficult to accurately cosplay by adding 1000% tiny metal gewgaws to every outfit or utilizing fabric that forms and drapes in ways no earthly fabric ever could. It's a weaponized cosplay arms race.

Technically it's always been that bad, check out Amano's character art from FF6.

I really, really want to see THAT cosplay.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Open Marriage Night posted:

I almost want to read New Guardians just to see how edgy it gets. The cover of the third issue has the team surrounded by child soldiers.

They get AIDS

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

hahahaahahahahaha this is like something out of the dark ages of JAPANIMATION you'd see on shelves

It's so loving bad hahahaha

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Uh. Yes? In Japan, at least.

Even moreso in the early 2000s, and the author used the timeskip to redesign many of the characters to be even easier to cosplay.

Ohhh that's why they all look like dipshits in hoodies with a 1 minute makeup job.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The entire villain squad dressing identically.
Its not a point against Naruto, from the late 00s onwards it just became the norm to have the busiest designs and the most impossible of clothes,, all the time.
Simplicity becomes refreshing when the normal would require an entire roll of double sided tape to accomplish.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Jedit posted:

Well, just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any weirder...

hahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha hell yeah.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Just needs the title changed to like "Kid Radical" and the original NES seal of approval in the corner.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

It got so loving bad that Square eventually had to hire fashion designers to make sure that it would even be plausible that someone would actually be able to put them on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

theironjef posted:

Just needs the title changed to like "Kid Radical" and the original NES seal of approval in the corner.
Ahh, the universe where Saban/4Kids ruthlessly conquered anime licensing in the US.

Please tell me more about how Kid Ninja and his friend Samantha fight to save Sammy from the clutches of Lord Viper.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Well, just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any weirder...

Of course he's getting out of a Countach

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Looking up Optimus Prime while chatting with someone and came across this monstrosity.

:barf:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Looking up Optimus Prime while chatting with someone and came across this monstrosity.

:barf:

He looks like when Tom Selleck shaved his mustache, just weird.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
That was not long after the first live-action movie came out and they were trying to make the comic characters look more like the movie characters. I think they realized pretty quickly how horrifying they looked and dropped it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Bumblebee movie got movie version Transformers right.

Bayformers moved things too far towards 'organic' style androids.
Worst thing they ever did was make Bumblebee unable to talk except via the radio. Urgghhhhhhhhhhh
Second worst was removing Optimus's face shield to reveal a mouth.

*G1 rant over*
Was originally looking up reference pics cause I was thinking of making an Optimus mask out of foam.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bayformers unhealthy focus on faces and ripping off said faces has been thoroughly documented on these very forums.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Technically it's always been that bad, check out Amano's character art from FF6.

I really, really want to see THAT cosplay.

Flesh colored greaves and cuisses or shorts and kneepads? I know which would be easier to cosplay.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

FFXIV designers actually consulted cosplayers in the company about whether the clothes where actually wearable or not, which is fun

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
People have definitely pulled off Amano-style cosplay before.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Keromaru5 posted:

People have definitely pulled off Amano-style cosplay before.

Well, I did say I WANTED to see it, not that it couldn't be done. And I'm glad someone did those, as they look awesome.

I'm quite sad we never got a 3d FF game with characters directly made from Amano's design, aside from that one arena battle game.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Action Jacktion posted:

That was not long after the first live-action movie came out and they were trying to make the comic characters look more like the movie characters. I think they realized pretty quickly how horrifying they looked and dropped it.

Because of the vertical line in the middle, I envision Prime's face "shield" opening up sideways, like the Predator alien.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

The Bumblebee movie got movie version Transformers right.

Bayformers moved things too far towards 'organic' style androids.
Worst thing they ever did was make Bumblebee unable to talk except via the radio. Urgghhhhhhhhhhh
Second worst was removing Optimus's face shield to reveal a mouth.

*G1 rant over*
Was originally looking up reference pics cause I was thinking of making an Optimus mask out of foam.

Bumblebee talking through the radio was a neat/cute little thing!... but him suddenly reverting to it again in the sequels after being fixed at the end of the first movie was dumb and I agree with the rest of your rant.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

thetoughestbean posted:

FFXIV designers actually consulted cosplayers in the company about whether the clothes where actually wearable or not, which is fun

That makes sense, the FFXIV cosplay contests at Fan Fest are always really impressive and fun and I'm always kind of shocked at what designs people can pull off at turning into wearable costumes. The woman who did Lakshmi at last year's Shanghai convention really blew me away for example

And that's on top of the obvious skill of people who do all the fiddly ornate plate-armor and stuff.

crosshatch
Dec 10, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

That makes sense, the FFXIV cosplay contests at Fan Fest are always really impressive and fun and I'm always kind of shocked at what designs people can pull off at turning into wearable costumes. The woman who did Lakshmi at last year's Shanghai convention really blew me away for example

And that's on top of the obvious skill of people who do all the fiddly ornate plate-armor and stuff.

this is the person who always stands in front of my artists' alley table

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I appreciated Final Fantasy 14 for having the male and female armor be basically the same. My large man in skimpy clothing was handsome.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

I appreciated Final Fantasy 14 for having the male and female armor be basically the same. My large man in skimpy clothing was handsome.

Sometimes yeah, sometimes not. Some of the dragoon-only armor had really silly stomach windows for the women, and a lot of the just for fun glamours still do skirts for women, trousers for men, although they're getting better at gender neutral stuff. For example men can wear the 2B dress and the wedding dress, women can wear the tuxedo, etc..

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Every party I join in FFXIV has at least one person in a comfy wool sweater and jeans with sensible reading glasses. It truly is the best.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Every party I join in FFXIV has at least one person in a comfy wool sweater and jeans with sensible reading glasses. It truly is the best.

Scholar/Summoner is the best for that: nothing like whipping out a book and lifting a skeptical finger to complete the "Frumpy Battle Librarian" look.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

How Wonderful! posted:

Sometimes yeah, sometimes not. Some of the dragoon-only armor had really silly stomach windows for the women, and a lot of the just for fun glamours still do skirts for women, trousers for men, although they're getting better at gender neutral stuff. For example men can wear the 2B dress and the wedding dress, women can wear the tuxedo, etc..
They're at least trying going forward - the upcoming Oktoberfest stuff doesn't seem to be gender locked despite including a dirdnl

Edit: actually i might be wrong about that, unfortunately

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I saw a dirndl and also a guy wearing a little lederhosen get-up so I don't know. I will say that even if there isn't total equivalence, it's still way better about letting ladies wear cool and tough looking gear than most other mmos.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/leslekieuart/status/1295386081509203974

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'm re-reading Zeb Well's New Mutants run and somehow forgot about issue 5.

Look at that fuckin horse.

Illyana looks so terrible here.

I know this run is incredible but ugh getting past this issue is tough.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are those faces photocollages they've applied a pencil filter to?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goatface posted:

It looks to me like they borrowed assets from a 4th-string publisher in the 1980s. Though I may be being uncharitable - First Comics at least had P Craig Russell on the roster.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I must have focused more on the storyline than the art for that, because I don't recall *that*.

Thank you, mindwipe! :hypnotoad:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

goatface posted:

yeah that all looks like comp'd in photos, it's very jarring from the style of everything else. especially the close up of illyana, yikes :stare:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It's got a very "somewhere in the middle of an issue of a monthly European anthology magazine" look to it

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cyclops is pretty clearly just a younger Jeremy Renner there.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's like the artist is trying to ape the Perry Bible Fellowship style but doing a horrible job..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Magik reminds me of this Junji Ito drawing (spoiler? NMS for creepy?).