Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Accipiter posted:

Seriously. I don't get this fetish with trying to over-engineer a solution to a simple problem.

A note is a good one.

Also, set an alarm. If you're supposed to be at work at 8am, set yourself an alarm for 8am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

A note is a good one.

Also, set an alarm. If you're supposed to be at work at 8am, set yourself an alarm for 8am.

Reminders has geo-fencing if you have an iphone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does anyone have experience with using iCloud or mobile meeting as this whole email provider? I've been using Google products less and less and Gmail is pretty much the only holdover. I don't use Google Chat or anything else though.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Harry Totterbottom posted:

Reminders has geo-fencing if you have an iphone.

Sometimes mine get triggered when I'm not in the location. I was sitting at my desk at work and my phone reminded me GET STEAK RARE. I like to think of it as a general life coach when that happens.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Any suggestions for how I can keep a video screen on top?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Does this still work? http://infinite-labs.net/afloat/

I wouldn't use it since it's a tad on the old side, but maybe it'll work for you! Check for native always-on-top first of course (look under help for a search box that searches the menu or press Command-?).

All the video player's I've used have that alway-on-top function though so I've never needed to install that hack.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 14, 2012

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Didion posted:

Any suggestions for how I can keep a video screen on top?
Movist, VLC, DVD Player and Quicktime all have an option from the menubar to have the window float above all other windows and MPlayerX and MPlayer OSX Extended bothe have the option in the preferences window, if that's what you mean.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Developers on 10.8.2 and iOS 6: is Messages more consistent between devices now?

I'm on 10.8.1 and the syncing is slow and often I'll get messages on my iPad/iPhone when I want them on my computer, and vice versa. (all messages are being sent to my apple ID, so they should all be in sync when working properly)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Developers on 10.8.2 and iOS 6: is Messages more consistent between devices now?
It seems much improved with 10.8.2 and iOS 6, yes.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

chupacabraTERROR posted:

everything seems to be working great now here

ios6 made the biggest difference with no more multiple contacts in my messages list from email vs phone number messages

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

crazysim posted:

Does this still work? http://infinite-labs.net/afloat/

I wouldn't use it since it's a tad on the old side, but maybe it'll work for you! Check for native always-on-top first of course (look under help for a search box that searches the menu or press Command-?).

All the video player's I've used have that alway-on-top function though so I've never needed to install that hack.

onoflalks posted:

Movist, VLC, DVD Player and Quicktime all have an option from the menubar to have the window float above all other windows and MPlayerX and MPlayer OSX Extended bothe have the option in the preferences window, if that's what you mean.

Well, don't I feel silly, thanks!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ah actually I'm using that, haven't had any problems on 10.8.1.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Anyone having random freezes in 10.8.1? I'm trying to figure out if it's a software issue or hardware one but I'm getting it on a fresh install of 10.8.1. Basically the machine just beachballs, becoming responsive and you have to hard power cycle it.

It happens without fail every 30-60 minutes.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Open Console and see what it says when it freezes and after restarting.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

DoktorLoken posted:

Anyone having random freezes in 10.8.1? I'm trying to figure out if it's a software issue or hardware one but I'm getting it on a fresh install of 10.8.1. Basically the machine just beachballs, becoming responsive and you have to hard power cycle it.

It happens without fail every 30-60 minutes.

I posted about this a few pages back -- does the system beachball when you mouse over the dock? Here is a fairly lengthy thread on the Apple Support Forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4194186?start=0&tstart=0

Just about everyone posts the same kind of console log, and there is no official word from Apple yet. I phoned their support team a while back when it was happening to me and they had me delete my application cache and the problem appears to have stopped, but YMMV.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Posted about this the other day but didn't get a response.

I synched a PS3 controller to my iMac and it won't turn off (which prevents my computer from going int sleep mode) unless I manually turn it off on system prefs. Is there an easier way to do this? Is there some way I can just turn off the controller?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

NESguerilla posted:

I synched a PS3 controller to my iMac and it won't turn off (which prevents my computer from going int sleep mode) unless I manually turn it off on system prefs. Is there an easier way to do this? Is there some way I can just turn off the controller?

Pretty sure you can just hold the centre button for 10-15 seconds and the controller will turn off, though I'm not sure this will fix your sleep problem.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Got a couple of problems:
1)I've got mouse clicking problems. When I click the title bar of an inactive window (sometimes an active one too), it will select the window, but it won't register the click as a complete click, as in it will select the window but I can't use the keyboard. In order to use the keyboard, I've got to click the title bar again which makes the window jump from its original position to where my mouse click was in the first place. It's kinda hard to explain, but it's very annoying.

2) When opening a file with Preview, it opens the file then quits instantly. Opening the file a second time, Preview acts normally.

2) Does anybody know how to solve this bug in Firefox that makes black images not show up whatsoever (for example in this thread, the image is meant to be a blank DS screen, but it's replaced with whatever was there last, in this case my Facebook timeline). It's been doing for a long time, so it's not a new bug in 15.0.1.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know why, but since I upgraded to Mountain Lion, Finder has been really poo poo at, y'know, finding things. Like not being able to search for files by filename.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Try disabling and then re-enabling Spotlight. You can follow the steps here. It might also be helpful to kill the Spotlight directory as he suggests, as the index files may be corrupted, or sitting on a corrupt disk sector or something. Let the index rebuild for however long it takes and you should be fine afterwards.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Any good tricks to re-discovering your bluetooth keyboard (the little Apple one)?

It seems like every other time I reboot (made it 42 days this time) I have to go drag a USB keyboard out a closet and gently caress with my iMac for 2 hours before I can get the keyboard to recognize again.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Are your batteries ok? I never use the apple board since it's an uncomfortable piece of poo (looks nice though), but I keep around for special characters and it's never missed a beat unless the batteries were done for.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can someone help me check something out really quick?

I'm playing around with iCloud Mail and trying to create an alias but it just tells me "this alias cannot be saved at this time" and has been saying that since yesterday. It says I have 3 of 3 aliases remaining so it's not a space issue, and I've tried random and obscure aliases so I don't think I'm somehow only typing in used ones. I think I might just have a bugged account somehow because it says my email address is username@me.com and when I click to add an alias the new alias it says is an @icloud.com address.

So if someone could log into iCloud Mail and see if they can make an alias that would be super. Especially if you tell me what it says your email address domain is (and the alias domain).

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

Is anyone here using pixelmator often? Either since Mountain Lion or their latest update I've been having lots of hangups and crashes while editing images. Anyone else having trouble or is it just me?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

evil_bunnY posted:

Are your batteries ok? I never use the apple board since it's an uncomfortable piece of poo (looks nice though), but I keep around for special characters and it's never missed a beat unless the batteries were done for.

Brand new, that was the first thing I tried. Stuck them in another keyboard I found in the back room and everything worked fine the first try.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Bob Morales posted:

Any good tricks to re-discovering your bluetooth keyboard (the little Apple one)?

It seems like every other time I reboot (made it 42 days this time) I have to go drag a USB keyboard out a closet and gently caress with my iMac for 2 hours before I can get the keyboard to recognize again.

Forgive me for asking the obvious here but you didn't mention it: have you tried pressing the button on the side of the keyboard?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

Forgive me for asking the obvious here but you didn't mention it: have you tried pressing the button on the side of the keyboard?

Yea, about a million times. And holding the button in for a few secconds until the light pulses. Removing the batteries, etc etc.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

In 10.6 and to an extent 10.7, my batteries report 99% until they reported < 10%. The giant Sanyo Eneloop blister pack on Amazon / at Costco keeps me in fresh supply for BT stuff and I've had way less of a problem. Other than that, you may have other local radio noise messing with your mojo. :tinfoil:

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Seriously, what the hell changed to file copying? I've been getting loads of error -36'es since upgrading to Mountain Lion, doesn't matter from where or to where (internal or external drive) I try to copy.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
For any devs who are on 10.8.2 already, you should go to http://passsource.com and build a passbook pass and then attempt to download it in Safari.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jolan posted:

Seriously, what the hell changed to file copying? I've been getting loads of error -36'es since upgrading to Mountain Lion, doesn't matter from where or to where (internal or external drive) I try to copy.

I have no problems. Do a fresh ML install instead of upgrading.

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
Hoping one you can help me with this minor problem I'm having regarding my wireless connection on my Mac.

I moved into a new place a couple weeks ago, set up the internet here and from the get-go my Air hasn't been able to automatically connect to the new wifi. Every time I close the lid and open it back up or take my MB out of sleep the wireless signal is zero and acts like it was never connected, so I have to choose it again.

But this is the only network that I have this problem on. Every day when I go on campus it automatically connects to the campus internet. And when I went to visit my parents recently it automatically connected there as well. My roommate has the exact same computer as me (13" Air fwiw) and doesn't have this problem at all.

In system preferences it's even set as the most preferred wireless network to join.

Anyone have any idea?

e: it doesn't ask my to retype in my wifi password either

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Try removing the network from your preferred list then readd it. If that doesn't work, make sure you've installed all updates including firmware updates, then try it again.

May also want to find the corresponding entry in your Keychain and delete that.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I've had the same thing before as well. I had to remove the network, then manually add it by typing the correct name and type of security. Still don't know why.

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
Got it! All I had to do was delete it and manually add it and do the security. Thanks guys

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

echobucket posted:

For any devs who are on 10.8.2 already, you should go to http://passsource.com and build a passbook pass and then attempt to download it in Safari.

Thanks for posting this. Passbook on my phone doesn't seem like a waste of space anymore. Now, whether it will actually work when I try to scan one of these "cards" is a different story.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, about a million times. And holding the button in for a few secconds until the light pulses. Removing the batteries, etc etc.

Do other bluetooth devices do the same on that computer? Does the keyboard work fine on other computers? I know those might not be easy to answer if you don't have extra equipment just laying around, but it would be good to narrow down whether it's the computer or the keyboard that is having the issue...

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I have no problems. Do a fresh ML install instead of upgrading.

Considering I'd just slap my TM backup back on it, would that really change anything?

This is getting terribly annoying. It takes forever to go from "preparing to copy" to actually copying, when you stop copying the dialog box still stays up there for ages, and sometimes it's stuck on "0 items remaining - 5 seconds left" for a good 10 minutes. If it doesn't error -36 with disk utility saying all drives are fine. Uuuuurgh.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
I feel like this is a really naive question, but would I benifit from a clean reinstall of Mountain Lion as far as every day performance? I've got some free time and was thinking about wiping/reinstalling. I did a fresh install of Snow Leopard when it came out on my 6,2 MBP and have since been only upgrading (to ML). I used my girlfriend's 8,2 (also the i7 model) and it seems a bit quicker, although the specs are not that much different. I've got an SSD in mine, and her's is running the stock hard drive. Could this difference be because of her newer hardware, having a fresh install of Mountain Lion, or just my perception because I'm envious of her newer computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dox
Mar 4, 2006

hannibal posted:

Does OS X have a native OpenVPN client now?

Yeah, it looks pretty terrible and requires a web-based login to configure it... but it works. Viscosity just looks so much better.

I also use this and it works just fine on 10.8.1.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know why, but since I upgraded to Mountain Lion, Finder has been really poo poo at, y'know, finding things. Like not being able to search for files by filename.

If you're willing to look towards non-Apple solutions, Alfred is definitely worth a peek.

iceslice posted:

I feel like this is a really naive question, but would I benifit from a clean reinstall of Mountain Lion as far as every day performance?

I really highly recommend it and think in the end it really wouldn't hurt. I always notice a nice lil bump in speed after a fresh install.