Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I just switched from drip coffee machines to electric kettle + pour-over, and quite enjoying the jump in quality in my coffee. The next step is grinding my beans.

However, the Baratza Encore listed in the OP is $120 on Amazon and has been getting bad reviews on Amazon. Are there any cheaper alternatives that can ALSO double as a spice grinder. I follow the Alton Brown philosophy and hate this poo poo out of uni-taskers in the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

I just switched from drip coffee machines to electric kettle + pour-over, and quite enjoying the jump in quality in my coffee. The next step is grinding my beans.

However, the Baratza Encore listed in the OP is $120 on Amazon and has been getting bad reviews on Amazon. Are there any cheaper alternatives that can ALSO double as a spice grinder. I follow the Alton Brown philosophy and hate this poo poo out of uni-taskers in the kitchen.

You could probably grind spices in a burr grinder but cleaning a burr grinder is not nearly as straight forward as cleaning a blade grinder. My guess is you would get super frustrated doing it.

Edit: Brain fart

rockcity fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 14, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

rockcity posted:

You could probably grind spices in a burr grinder but cleaning a burr grinder is not nearly as straight forward as cleaning a burr grinder. My guess is you would get super frustrated doing it.

wat?

Neo_Crimson posted:

I don't know about you, but I don't want every cup of coffee I ever make to taste like every spice I've ever ground. That poo poo lingers no matter how well you think you can clean it out.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Hauki posted:

wat?

I don't know about you, but I don't want every cup of coffee I ever make to taste like every spice I've ever ground. That poo poo lingers no matter how well you think you can clean it out.

Sorry, that second one was supposed to say blade grinder.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Don’t use your coffee grinder for spices.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

dik-dik posted:

I'm picturing someone using a Mazer or Eureka or some big fancy grinder for garam masala or like nutmeg or cloves.

Maybe that's how they make flavored coffees like the powdered international crap Mrs Mango loves?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Mr. Mambold posted:

Very likely I read a post wrong, or I could've gotten the brand wrong. I was looking at some of them, and liked what I saw. Can you compare them side by side to, say, Breville, or is there too much sliding scale to even go there?
Where Breville shines is the features they pack into their machines, and to some, the styling. Their biggest downside is that they aren't user-servicable and have to be sent to Breville for any sort of service or repair, for $300-500 per trip. The Saeco machines are much more simpler, but also therefore have less to go wrong with them, and parts are readily available to the public and independent repair shops alike. They both will produce a similar shot.

dik-dik posted:

Does Saeco make any machines that aren't superautos? Looking on online shops I've used before I can't find any.
For several decades now, yes; I don't know what their current offerings are though. They actually made what is probably the best small semi-auto to ever grace the US market; it's currently called the Via Venezia but was previously the Starbucks Barista, Estro Profi, Rio Vapore and at least one other name I can't remember at the moment. I see those models go 15+ years on regular basis, they're drat near bullet-proof.

dik-dik posted:

This, unless you don't care how either one will end up tasting.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bizwank posted:

Where Breville shines is the features they pack into their machines, and to some, the styling. Their biggest downside is that they aren't user-servicable and have to be sent to Breville for any sort of service or repair, for $300-500 per trip. The Saeco machines are much more simpler, but also therefore have less to go wrong with them, and parts are readily available to the public and independent repair shops alike. They both will produce a similar shot.

For several decades now, yes; I don't know what their current offerings are though. They actually made what is probably the best small semi-auto to ever grace the US market; it's currently called the Via Venezia but was previously the Starbucks Barista, Estro Profi, Rio Vapore and at least one other name I can't remember at the moment. I see those models go 15+ years on regular basis, they're drat near bullet-proof.

Nice to know, thanks.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I'm picturing someone using a Mazer or Eureka or some big fancy grinder for garam masala or like nutmeg or cloves.

Maybe that's how they make flavored coffees like the powdered international crap Mrs Mango loves?

Lol. Maybe Mrs. Mango and Mrs. Mambo are related? My wife mixes up some wretched decaf mess every morning, with god knows what else in it. The smell of the wet grids makes me :barf:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks to the poster who recommended that Monin Dark Chocolate sauce. It tastes delicious and makes some decent mochas (the best I've made at home). I can't wait to try and make a frappucino out of this, I think it'll be delicious. I just wish there was a milk chocolate variety.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 14, 2017

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Q8ee posted:

Thanks to the poster who recommended that Monin Dark Chocolate sauce. It tastes delicious and makes some decent mochas (the best I've made at home). I can't wait to try and make a frappucino out of this, I think it'll be delicious. I just wish there was a milk chocolate variety.
You're welcome! :coffee: Monin does make a milk chocolate but I'm not sure if I've ever seen it in stores: https://www.monin.com/en-gb/products/gourmet-sauces/monin-milk-chocolate-sauce

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
The Crossland CC1 arrived. I'm enjoying it - dead simple operation. The temp control is very tight. I'm of mixed feelings about the shot timer. I've been used to pulling 2oz from the double basket, and going by color and flow, not much worrying about the time. For the CC1, if I want a 2 second pre-infusion, one second wait, I'm just plugging in a 40 second shot time - and cutting it off manually, which is working fine. Here's the first shot...

edit: Thanks bizwank and scaramouche

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Neo_Crimson posted:

Amazon reviews are weird. I bought my maestro plus in like 2010 and it is still going strong. The encore is the successor machine.
The great thing about the baratza devices is that they are designed to be fully rebuilt, though I haven't had to fix anything yet.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

nm posted:

Amazon reviews are weird. I bought my maestro plus in like 2010 and it is still going strong. The encore is the successor machine.
The great thing about the baratza devices is that they are designed to be fully rebuilt, though I haven't had to fix anything yet.

Our Encore lasted exactly a year and 2 days and the gearing in the motor gave out. Whirring, but no engagement. Fully rebuildable or not, gently caress 'em. And bless Squaretrade, who I warrantied it with. So yeah, I well could have negged them over it.

*In full disclosure, I took that and pitched in a few more bucks and hair of the dog got a Virtuoso, so

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Baratza makes solid gear, they did have some issues with the older gearsets and have since rejiggered them to be more durable and would have fixed yours under warranty no question.

Ignore Amazon reviews for most, if not all of the equipment discussed here. The average consumer has no idea how espresso machines (or any of the technology they use, for that matter) work and most don't bother reading the manuals, so reviews are full of inaccurate assumptions and issues that could have been easily resolved had they actually...tried.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bizwank posted:

Baratza makes solid gear, they did have some issues with the older gearsets and have since rejiggered them to be more durable and would have fixed yours under warranty no question.

Ignore Amazon reviews for most, if not all of the equipment discussed here. The average consumer has no idea how espresso machines (or any of the technology they use, for that matter) work and most don't bother reading the manuals, so reviews are full of inaccurate assumptions and issues that could have been easily resolved had they actually...tried.

This is wise speech, but that just wasn't my mindset when I was ready to go off on vacation and boom, morning, no coffee grinder, no coffee. Plus, factor in wife yammering shrilly. I could have field stripped it to parts, just wasn't in the mood one year on. I've stuck with them, and now need to choose between a like-new Preciso and a Virtuoso I've refurbed, and then what to do with the reject....I think I'll give the 'loser' to my son, help wean him off pissing his few:10bux: at starbucks.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

RE: Saeco, they're really the big dog of the mass marketplace for "real" machines for me. They've finally launched the Aulika/Lirika lines in North America now too (light commercial, what the Saeco Royal is turning into), and they're at prices comparable to consumer machines ($900, $1000, $2500 for plumbed in) so that could be interesting.

Bizarrely I'm not sure if they're doing real semi-auto anymore. This is the lineup on the Philips site:
https://www.usa.philips.com/c-m-ho/coffee/saeco-manual-espresso-machines/

Every single one seems to use a pressurized portafilter, though obviously they can be converted.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Welp, I'm up to using four shims on my Sette.

I'm kind of regretting not just getting a Eureka or one of the better Baratza Vario grinders. The Sette is just so loud and it's not nearly as adjustable as I was hoping. The range of adjustment just isn't all that wide.

That being said, the workflow is easy and I love having basically no retention. It is nice having the built in scale, really good for my amateur use.

Soooo, Baratza is just straight up replacing my Sette now. I would rather get a non-Sette grinder but they didn't want to give me that option.

Who knows if the new one will be better, it I get to dial in again, hooray. :sigh:

I am all for innovation and new designs but buyer beware for sure. Maybe in 10 years all grinders will use a design like this and be bulletproof.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

Soooo, Baratza is just straight up replacing my Sette now. I would rather get a non-Sette grinder but they didn't want to give me that option.

Who knows if the new one will be better, it I get to dial in again, hooray. :sigh:

I am all for innovation and new designs but buyer beware for sure. Maybe in 10 years all grinders will use a design like this and be bulletproof.

Dang. I hope you get that sorted out!

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Scaramouche posted:

RE: Saeco, they're really the big dog of the mass marketplace for "real" machines for me. They've finally launched the Aulika/Lirika lines in North America now too (light commercial, what the Saeco Royal is turning into), and they're at prices comparable to consumer machines ($900, $1000, $2500 for plumbed in) so that could be interesting.

Bizarrely I'm not sure if they're doing real semi-auto anymore. This is the lineup on the Philips site:
https://www.usa.philips.com/c-m-ho/coffee/saeco-manual-espresso-machines/

Every single one seems to use a pressurized portafilter, though obviously they can be converted.
Pretty much all consumer semi-autos use pressurized portafilters/baskets (Saeco always has), and for good reason. Not sure what they're doing with their semi-autos right now, the Poemia is a sorry replacement for the Via Venezia; hopefully they aren't getting out of that market cause there isn't really a good alternative that I know of.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This could be interesting for people in Canada at least. We got a letter from Baratza saying they're changing up how they want to handle warranty/return problems. "Oh boy," you guys are probably going "here comes the screw job". Turns out it's the opposite; they want us to have customers with problems contact them directly and they'll handle everything else. They're also subsidizing us in free parts for repairs/replacements to give away to customers based on previous year's total sales. I've only had 3 guys with problems lately (which, based on the amount we sell, is quite small) and Baratza basically sent them pre-paid shipping labels to take back the bad grinder and then mailed them a brand new one. That's pretty freaking good.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

This could be interesting for people in Canada at least. We got a letter from Baratza saying they're changing up how they want to handle warranty/return problems. "Oh boy," you guys are probably going "here comes the screw job". Turns out it's the opposite; they want us to have customers with problems contact them directly and they'll handle everything else. They're also subsidizing us in free parts for repairs/replacements to give away to customers based on previous year's total sales. I've only had 3 guys with problems lately (which, based on the amount we sell, is quite small) and Baratza basically sent them pre-paid shipping labels to take back the bad grinder and then mailed them a brand new one. That's pretty freaking good.

If that's the case maybe that's why I am finally getting a new grinder instead of sending the same one back again?

What a welcome and refreshing policy change. It might save them a lot of money long term.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Baratza Sette number three was DOA. Foolish me packed number two back up fully before plugging in the third.

Grinder number four is on its way to casa del Mango.

In other news, I got a few pounds of Ethiopian that had spot on tasting notes of Honey, Dark Chocolate, and Berries. drat good stuff. Bodhi Leaf is great for any SoCal goons who don't live close to Kean or Portola.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

So I finally got tired of pan roasting and thanks to the goon who posted pics of the backyard air popper roasting, a few days ago I went to target and got a $20 air popper. First batch was a Peruvian and it came out pretty good. A world of difference from the pan method, but I may have left it in the popper a pinch too long. Still pretty delicious cup. I did about 5 oz of Ethiopian Limu this afternoon though and god drat does it smell amazing right now. Shut it down right as I heard the first beans going into second crack and they're good and oily. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow morning :swoon:

For some reason the unroasted Ethiopian beans smell nice and pleasant and fruity in the bag, while some beans I got from a different distributor smell much more grassy/earthy - even dirty if you will.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I've heard that some of the best coffees often have an odd smell to them.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hey coffee thread.

I've had a good drip machine for the past 6 years and I just broke the thermal carafe. Figure it's time to upgrade. I checked out Amazon and this seems to be a super solid one without shelling out $300+ for a drip machine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X9K1EDK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I still have my pour overs, french presses and cold brew methods, but I need something to make coffee that can last longer and serve multiple people. Is there some other brand/model that I'm missing?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Zojirushi generally makes good quality appliances. I wasn't aware they made a drip brewer but their hot water heaters are really well regarded. Bonavita tends to be the most recommended drip brewer at a reasonable price point.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

rockcity posted:

Zojirushi generally makes good quality appliances. I wasn't aware they made a drip brewer but their hot water heaters are really well regarded. Bonavita tends to be the most recommended drip brewer at a reasonable price point.

Yeah, that was the other one I was contemplating around this price range: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O9FO1HK/ref=twister_B0752Q3BYV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 . The one downside I see is its only an 8 cup while the Zoji is 10.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Doh004 posted:

Hey coffee thread.

I've had a good drip machine for the past 6 years and I just broke the thermal carafe. Figure it's time to upgrade. I checked out Amazon and this seems to be a super solid one without shelling out $300+ for a drip machine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X9K1EDK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I still have my pour overs, french presses and cold brew methods, but I need something to make coffee that can last longer and serve multiple people. Is there some other brand/model that I'm missing?

That Zoj carafe stays hot for several hours. It is so much better than the Bonavita at that price range.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The zoj also brews super slowly and over extracts the poo poo out of your coffee. Get the bonavita. Or spring for an oxo barista brain.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mr. Mambold posted:

That Zoj carafe stays hot for several hours. It is so much better than the Bonavita at that price range.

Sextro posted:

The zoj also brews super slowly and over extracts the poo poo out of your coffee. Get the bonavita. Or spring for an oxo barista brain.

Conflicting reports!!!

And I was looking at a OXO, is this the one you're talking about : https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Barista-...3M9NGW45HCJ4YNM

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sextro posted:

Well, agree to disagree. I grind to a nth probably finer than espresso and that ^ is a thing I've never experienced.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Doh004 posted:

Conflicting reports!!!

And I was looking at a OXO, is this the one you're talking about : https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Barista-...3M9NGW45HCJ4YNM

Yeah that's the one.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Well, agree to disagree. I grind to a nth probably finer than espresso and that ^ is a thing I've never experienced.

If you're grinding that finely for a drip brew, with any machine, then yeah. We'll have to agree to disagree. We're seeking out fundamentally different things from a cuppa.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Baratza Sette #4 was a dud out of the box. There was a little piece that holds the portafilter holder and can adjust for different sizes, and at first I thought it was missing but nope it's just rattling around inside the grinder. Good times. Here is the glory hole shot.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mr. Mambold posted:

Sextro posted:

Yeah that's the one.

If you're grinding that finely for a drip brew, with any machine, then yeah. We'll have to agree to disagree. We're seeking out fundamentally different things from a cuppa.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll go with the Bonavita. The OXO looks good too but I don't think I can justify the double price tag for what's basically the same thing.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Baratza Sette #4 was a dud out of the box. There was a little piece that holds the portafilter holder and can adjust for different sizes, and at first I thought it was missing but nope it's just rattling around inside the grinder. Good times. Here is the glory hole shot.

I really want to try the 270/270w but there seems to be such hit or miss with them, and that's kind of scary.

I'm ready to get a new grinder, and outside of price my biggest issue is cabinet height, I have to get under 17" lip on the front. Craigslist has a scratched but new Super Jolly for only $350...doser version though...and no way to really make it shorter than about 18.5". The Sette with the scale checks all the boxes, but if it's going to bust on me in a year or so....that doesn't seem worth it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MrEnigma posted:

I really want to try the 270/270w but there seems to be such hit or miss with them, and that's kind of scary.

I'm ready to get a new grinder, and outside of price my biggest issue is cabinet height, I have to get under 17" lip on the front. Craigslist has a scratched but new Super Jolly for only $350...doser version though...and no way to really make it shorter than about 18.5". The Sette with the scale checks all the boxes, but if it's going to bust on me in a year or so....that doesn't seem worth it.

I have an revile smart grinder pro I used like twice, it's just taking up counter space, but you probably want something nicer. The Sette is a great idea but I'd wait for Sette 3.0 at this point. Not even the second generation, but the third.

Hopefully Baratza just agrees to give me the full refund I requested. Anyone here have an opinion on the Eureka Atom? I'm thinking it might be what I want to replace the Sette.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have an revile smart grinder pro I used like twice, it's just taking up counter space, but you probably want something nicer. The Sette is a great idea but I'd wait for Sette 3.0 at this point. Not even the second generation, but the third.

Hopefully Baratza just agrees to give me the full refund I requested. Anyone here have an opinion on the Eureka Atom? I'm thinking it might be what I want to replace the Sette.

I've heard good things about both the Atom and 65E, even with the short hopper both are too tall for my cabinets :(. I have a smidge less than 17", and the shorter atom is still 17.25

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
While we're on grinder chat, what are the best options right now in the say $3-400 range? I am setting up a friend of mine with an espresso rig and that is what I'm looking to put into the grinder. It would be dedicated to espresso as they already have a solid grinder for other use. The Rocky seems like a decent option, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

We're going to get the Sette 30 AP probably tomorrow or Friday at the latest (one of the first in Canada who will actually have stock for them) so I'll let you guys know how that goes. It's kind of weird how it's changed from drip/pour over specific grinder back to espresso grinder, and I'm not sure how it's going to fit on the Encore -> Virtuoso -> Sette 270 -> Vario -> Forte continuum. My guess is the Virtuoso goes away eventually but who knows, Baratza's pulled some hinky stuff with their lineup in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Okay, in reading the marketing materials they are apparently going to sell a BG burr separately that allows you to sidegrade the Sette 30 into a more pourover/drip/V60 appropriate device, and they're touting the simplicity in being able to switch burrs. Could be cool if it all works out like they said. The one question I have is if it's still as loud as hell.