Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

The Good Professor posted:

I'd go so far as to say if you have 30 years of working with computers and 2 years of help desk, you don't need to get an A+ anyway. Start with the Net+ or Sec+, it'll be marginally more interesting and nobody's going to care whether you have an A+ or not once you have one of those.
This too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Good Professor posted:

I'd go so far as to say if you have 30 years of working with computers and 2 years of help desk, you don't need to get an A+ anyway. Start with the Net+ or Sec+, it'll be marginally more interesting and nobody's going to care whether you have an A+ or not once you have one of those.

Voting Net+. Sec+ is definitely the more "memorize all this random poo poo that no one actually cares about" of the two.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Passed my AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate today! Took about a month to prepare with no prior AWS experience, studying around 4-8 hours a day with a couple of my own projects that I was interested in mixed in.

I used the ACloudGuru course that everyone and their mother recommends, and it lives up to the reputation! Very engaging, fantastic instructor, and holy cow I learned a ton.

The practice exams were utterly dreadful though, I gotta say. They used outdated services and terminology that haven't been around in a few years, included completely irrelevant questions, and I even noticed one question that was identical between the two practice exams but had different answers on each one! Worse, explanations for the questions were, by and large, utterly unhelpful.

I would heartily recommend this set of practice questions to help you prepare as well. Mostly for extensive, in depth analysis of every single question and answer, complete with diagrams, links to external tutorials, and multi-paragraph long explanations for pretty much every single question. It's an incredibly valuable resource and I heartily recommend it.

I actually failed the exam the first time around by 1 question, which tbf makes sense when you don't sleep and spend the whole night cramming. Second time around was way easier.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

The Iron Rose posted:

Passed my AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate today! Took about a month to prepare with no prior AWS experience, studying around 4-8 hours a day with a couple of my own projects that I was interested in mixed in.

I used the ACloudGuru course that everyone and their mother recommends, and it lives up to the reputation! Very engaging, fantastic instructor, and holy cow I learned a ton.

The practice exams were utterly dreadful though, I gotta say. They used outdated services and terminology that haven't been around in a few years, included completely irrelevant questions, and I even noticed one question that was identical between the two practice exams but had different answers on each one! Worse, explanations for the questions were, by and large, utterly unhelpful.

I would heartily recommend this set of practice questions to help you prepare as well. Mostly for extensive, in depth analysis of every single question and answer, complete with diagrams, links to external tutorials, and multi-paragraph long explanations for pretty much every single question. It's an incredibly valuable resource and I heartily recommend it.

I actually failed the exam the first time around by 1 question, which tbf makes sense when you don't sleep and spend the whole night cramming. Second time around was way easier.

Great recommendation! I’m going through and studying myself for this one. 👍🏾

I’m a Technical Account Manager trying to move up to SA, so this would be a positive step forward.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are the Udemy courses always 90%-ish off for new students, or is it an actual deal? $12 for the course seems like a good deal.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

They're pretty much permanently anywhere between like 70-90% off.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

I had some hard seltzer on the 4th of July and impulse bought the Mike Meyers Network+ course for $11~. While I look for an IT job I can keep myself occupied and learn something new.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

rafikki posted:

They're pretty much permanently anywhere between like 70-90% off.

Well, I bought the course, started watching it at work. If they ask why, I can tell them I am trying to get qualified to join the SRE team or our hosting team, and also get some basic training on AWS so I can do the stuff that I have the permissions to do. Because apparently I do have some permissions, just no training.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are the Udemy courses always 90%-ish off for new students, or is it an actual deal? $12 for the course seems like a good deal.

They’re like a mattress store. The ‘sale’ is basically the regular price but they will occasionally raise to ‘full’ price for a day or so between ‘sales’ just to make it seem like there actually are sales happening.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
CISSP exam passed. I'd call it a very fair test. Can't memorize your way through it. Mostly value questions using words like BEST or MOST or FIRST. Hit me with any questions, I'll tell you what I can.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

AlternateAccount posted:

CISSP exam passed. I'd call it a very fair test. Can't memorize your way through it. Mostly value questions using words like BEST or MOST or FIRST. Hit me with any questions, I'll tell you what I can.

What study materials did you use and rate how well each prepared you for the exam?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Khagan posted:

What study materials did you use and rate how well each prepared you for the exam?

Sybex guide (8/10 for being at least thorough), Kaplan practice questions(5/10, way too specific), Weeklong 40 hour bootcamp thing(3/10, too much material to cover in this format and short time window.)

Honestly, none of the practice questions seemed to align well with the reality. Everything requires a bit more thinking than just fact recollection. I have a really condensed PDF I can post that goes over the domains, it's kind of sloppy, but I went through it a few times thinking "What is this concept, why would I use it, when would I use it, and what might be a better/worse alternative?"

If you know the core concepts, you will be fine, it will seem a little easy. Very non-technical aside from knowing your encryption algos, nothing vendor specific.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Post that PDF

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What video course should I use for PowerShell these days? I need to cram ASAP, I’ve got a phone interview tomorrow and it’s been long enough since I do a lot of work with it that I feel like I’m not going to sound like I know what I’m talking about. Mostly for the last few years it’s just been 1 or 2 line commands, I think the most I’ve done recently has been about 10 lines.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

What's a good way to learn VM Ware troubleshooting? starting a new job on Monday and I'll be supporting it from help desk deskside perspective

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

LionYeti posted:

What's a good way to learn VM Ware troubleshooting? starting a new job on Monday and I'll be supporting it from help desk deskside perspective

What company allows helpdesk direct access to the hypervisor?! I Could see granting on\off\reboot and the ilk but there is way too much to let helpdesk interact with it.

Or are you asking about troubleshooting Horizon, the VDI platform?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm not sure they mentioned vdi in the interview and I've been flailing ever since to figure it out

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Any good *free* Sec+ practice tests? I want to see the structure and formatting. Thanks.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

LionYeti posted:

I'm not sure they mentioned vdi in the interview and I've been flailing ever since to figure it out

Without knowing exactly what VMWARE they're asking you it's hard to advise....Sort of asking to know about MICROSOFT before you start. Best to be burned by the baptism fire and let us know (or if you can ask your direct report before you start). They could tell you they gently caress with VM WARE heavy and it's friggen airwatch.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I was trying to dig up an old version that I hadn't started highlighting on -_- I still might have missed some. Looking over this again in the context of seeing a set of actual questions, it's not bad. For studying, I just went through it bit by bit, and made sure I could discuss/explain each one. Highlighted stuff I figured I was wobbly on, then went back to other materials to flesh those out. Repeat.

https://www.scribd.com/document/416563995/CISSP-8-Domain-Notes

edit: ignore the big black boxes in the preview. That's bits of highlighting I missed that freak SCRIBD out. Downloaded version will be legible.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I'm taking the CCNA Security Monday and I've never felt so unprepared for a test, especially with how much I've prepared for it.

Every Boson practice test I take comes up with more poo poo that I've never even heard of after 2 books and CBT nuggets.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Well the real test was about on par with the Boson practice tests. There was so much bullshit that I didn't remember or didn't recognize at all.

That being said through diligent educated guesses I somehow managed to pass!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Any good (and reasonably priced/cheap) practice tests for MCSA/MCSE core infrastructure 2016 track? Going to scheduled 70-740 soon and 741/742 will follow soon after, as well as one of the tests to finalize the MCSE

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
One of the great constants of IT certification is how absolutely full of poo poo the people who make bank giving low-value week-long bootcamps are:

Global Knowledge posted:

Top-paying certifications:

Google Certified Professional Cloud Architect - $139,529
   PMP® - Project Management Professional - $135,798
   Certified ScrumMaster® - $135,441
   AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate - $132,840
   AWS Certified Developer – Associate - $130,369
   Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Server Infrastructure - $121,288
   ITIL® Foundation - $120,566
   CISM - Certified Information Security Manager - $118,412
   CRISC - Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control - $117,395
   CISSP - Certified Information Systems Security Professional - $116,900
   CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker - $116,306
   Citrix Certified Associate - Virtualization (CCA-V) - $113,442
   CompTIA Security+ - $110,321
   CompTIA Network+ - $107,143

Cisco Certified Networking Professional (CCNP) Routing and Switching - $106,957

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AlternateAccount posted:

One of the great constants of IT certification is how absolutely full of poo poo the people who make bank giving low-value week-long bootcamps are:

if only :smith:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I should take it into my boss with all the ones I have checked off and ask for a raise.

Imagine thinking CEH is only worth 6k more than Sec+.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

AlternateAccount posted:

I wonder if those numbers are skewed people that got their A+ in 2000, and are directors today. Look what you can earn with an A+ (and 15-20 years in the field).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
That and small sample size.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Self-reported salary surveys were specifically called out in the classic How To Lie With Statistics. There's a selection response bias - the people doing well by their training are much more likely to respond than people who aren't. If you're unemployed or working at something unrelated to IT a year after getting your A+, you're much less likely to respond than someone who is a Senior Site Lead at a F500 in the Bay Area, which skews the results upwards.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Contingency posted:

I wonder if those numbers are skewed people that got their A+ in 2000, and are directors today. Look what you can earn with an A+ (and 15-20 years in the field).

LOL, that might do it. I first passed the A+ in like... 1997? Still not a director, tho :(

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Passed AWS Cloud Practitioner based on ACloudGuru and reading over AWS' Architecting for the Cloud and billing whitepapers. 2ish weeks of studying and practicing for 1 hour each workday. Having worked with Azure made it easy to absorb a lot, so if you're utterly new, allow more time. On to Sysops Associate.

Is that as huge of a bruiser as people say it is?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Going to be sitting the 70-740 soon (and 741/742 shortly after) and then probably 70-413.

Anyway, are there any recommended lab/practice books/sites/whatever out there for these tests specifically? Cheaper is better because work is (probably not) paying for it, though my manager was trying to get some sort of materials paid for last I talked to him a a couple months ago, so anything is possible!

The 70-740 I'm actually looking to sit ASAP, just waiting on my job to buy a voucher, I really want to get an attempt in to understand how microsoft tests are with or without practice exams/labs.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Here I am thinking about a masters and all I really need to do is get ITIL Foundations

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

MF_James posted:

Going to be sitting the 70-740 soon (and 741/742 shortly after) and then probably 70-413.

Anyway, are there any recommended lab/practice books/sites/whatever out there for these tests specifically? Cheaper is better because work is (probably not) paying for it, though my manager was trying to get some sort of materials paid for last I talked to him a a couple months ago, so anything is possible!

The 70-740 I'm actually looking to sit ASAP, just waiting on my job to buy a voucher, I really want to get an attempt in to understand how microsoft tests are with or without practice exams/labs.

let us know how it goes, I'm working on the same thing

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Hello again thread.

My college career is close to ending soon and my networking class is all sorts of fun. So I figured I would express where I am in my CCNA class. I cross study between my tech school and netacad. Finals are coming up and it's pretty much something like this:

Basically what we know about Vlans, Trunking, ACLs, configuring a router and two different models of switches. So in something like packet tracer it looks a lot like this:

It's a very weird topology but all of the Vlans can communicate with each other as well as the different PC's having different privileges to access certain other Vlans on the network through ACLs.

Funny thing is I was confused how certain PCs were able to communicate and I just realized my gateways on Router 2 and 3 needed to be on the xx.xx.xx.2 and 3 gateway in order for the ACL to properly work. Figuring that out made me feel so much better about learning this poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I didn't think serial links were on the CCNA syllabus anymore

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Thanks Ants posted:

I didn't think serial links were on the CCNA syllabus anymore

We still have to learn it. Even though nobody uses it anymore and we have fiber to take care of that.

Took the final today and made a 100! :)

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
My ICND2 test last year and CCNP:Route last month totally definitely did but the new tests coming in February may not.

That's a pretty neat lab though. The instructor at my school (public state university) claimed to not want to teach proprietary technology but it was obvious he didn't know anything about networking. It's pretty bad getting a degree in computer networking and never once seeing a router or switch in person, let alone a single command or any L2 concepts. Had to memorize the formulas to encrypt and decrypt RSA though? Unfortunately it's a little late to look for a different program when your 3 years in and 30k in debt.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Cyks posted:

My ICND2 test last year and CCNP:Route last month totally definitely did but the new tests coming in February may not.

That's a pretty neat lab though. The instructor at my school (public state university) claimed to not want to teach proprietary technology but it was obvious he didn't know anything about networking. It's pretty bad getting a degree in computer networking and never once seeing a router or switch in person, let alone a single command or any L2 concepts. Had to memorize the formulas to encrypt and decrypt RSA though? Unfortunately it's a little late to look for a different program when your 3 years in and 30k in debt.

If you're getting certs out of it like CCNA/CCNP and you at least have some access to a lab environment you should be OK. You'll learn a crap ton out of college at your first networking job, thats when the prep from studying for certs really pays off, when you can match it with real world examples. A lot of things I studied didnt really click for me until I got my first networking job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Cyks posted:

It's pretty bad getting a degree in computer networking and never once seeing a router or switch in person

I mean sure, with virtual appliances and remote administration you could have a career in networking and never have to deal with physical equipment, but yikes.