Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Dr Light is a monster if he's making sentient house slaves and killer robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ-ggzfdsMs

See also, most of the droids in Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ghostlight posted:

It's actually a pretty melodramatic splash page when you remember that "It's clobberin' time" is what Thing's abusive brother used to yell at him.

Yes! That is the nexus of Jack Kirby and Stan Lee crossing their two best books. The firmament of the Marvel Universe right there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Poor Don Heck and Steve Ditko...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

The Mega Man comic kind of shows that he's the only robot who really has free will.

I'd say the main robots in the series, including Mega Man, have free will to a point. It's like RoboCop. They're free to be who they want within perimeters.

Now that I think about it, my biggest regret from that comic is that we never got to see Flynn's take on "I AM MORE THAN A ROBOT" from MM7. Then again, it would have come out in 2025.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh did the comic get canned?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Oh did the comic get canned?

Yeah apparently Archie is in the toilet financially and MM got cut. They left a bunch of dangling plot points though so I guess they could try to revive it later down the line oh who am I kidding it's dead :negative:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm kind of fascinated they've gone this long, all things considered. Even the Transformers comics I thought were mega popular sell way below Marvel/DC stuff, which are basically synonymous with "comic books" in the mainstream. How anything other than the Big Two and Image manage to stay afloat at all is a mystery to me.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

WickedHate posted:

I'm kind of fascinated they've gone this long, all things considered. Even the Transformers comics I thought were mega popular sell way below Marvel/DC stuff, which are basically synonymous with "comic books" in the mainstream. How anything other than the Big Two and Image manage to stay afloat at all is a mystery to me.

Fantagraphics, D&Q, and newcomer First Second are the goto publishers for high end indie comics. Dark Horse has licensed comics and Hellboy. Slave Labor Graphics has the goth market locked down thanks to Johen Vasquez. And I have no idea what Pantheon's market is. Book-of-the-year bait?

Everyone has their market.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm playing Shadow of Mordor and digging the lore(dor) and I was wondering: were there ever any LOTR comic adaptations or series?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

You already have a butt on your title. How long have you even been reregged, christ

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Travis343 posted:

You already have a butt on your title. How long have you even been reregged, christ

Wow, what a weird and unpleasant title!

... I'd offer to get you an av cert, WH, but I feel like it'd just get bought over again within hours. :ohdear:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A Tin Of Beans posted:

... I'd offer to get you an av cert, WH, but I feel like it'd just get bought over again within hours. :ohdear:

Travis343 posted:

Yall are nice, but there's worse, I guess. :shrug: I think I just need to avoid the anime chat thread and the regulars therein.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Someone was probably waiting feverishly to show Wickedhate what they really thought of her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

Someone was probably waiting feverishly to show Wickedhate what they really thought of her.

I'm sure we can figure it out if we scroll back to when we were talking about her before she came back.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Yall are nice, but there's worse, I guess. :shrug: I think I just need to avoid the anime chat thread and the regulars therein.

I enjoy the occasional anime as well, tomodachi, but let an old man impart a secret wisdom unto you . It is a secret so lean in, and I'll say it real quiet.

never talk to anyone about anime, ever

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
No, you're right, that's good advice. Anime was a mistake.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Anime was a mistake.

I think that's on Studio Ghibli's letterhead.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Wow, what a weird and unpleasant title!

Sounds like a good plan. Support Lowtax's bottom line in these trying times.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm playing Shadow of Mordor and digging the lore(dor) and I was wondering: were there ever any LOTR comic adaptations or series?

There is this adaptation of the Bashki movie with really nice art, but, like the movie, it only adapts half the story.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WickedHate posted:

Anime is blood.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

WickedHate posted:

Probably the best thing I've seen you say.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

WickedHate posted:

Anime was a mistake.

I got kinda into anime for about 6 months in high school.

This is pretty much my creed.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's actually cool, plus good to nostalgically enjoy whatever anime was on right before you left for school.

And Princess Tutu. :colbert:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

BSS grants amnesty to One Punch Man. He's "one of the good ones".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Die Laughing posted:

Coincidentally, the first season of OPM's adaption finished up today, and it's been just as amazing as the manga.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Anime rules, Im just saying, never talk about it with people, especially on the internet

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Die Laughing posted:

I think superhero anime in general tends to be well received here, people were raving about Tiger & Bunny when that came out.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like anime where people punch and yell. I don't like anime with tiny half dressed children.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Anime is like conversations about ethics. There are some things most people agree are pretty much universally alright and good, but the more you talk about it, the more hosed up and weird opinions and ideas you learn people you thought were normal hold.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Your conversations about anime with people can go something like "Hey, have you seen JoJo." "Yes, JoJo is great and cool." "Alright, nice. I'm glad we had this conversation."

Scene end, exit stage right.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Anime is like conversations about ethics. There are some things most people agree are pretty much universally alright and good, but the more you talk about it, the more hosed up and weird opinions and ideas you learn people you thought were normal hold.

My experience watching anime is once telling someone I like Paprika and Grave of the Fireflies only to have her go on a very long tangent about why you should pronounce movies/shows by their Japanese titles, subs over dubs, and why is okay having characters that look like prepubescent boys where next to nothing. After that I swore to never tell anyone that I have watched a few anime movies/shows.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Madkal posted:

My experience watching anime is once telling someone I like Paprika and Grave of the Fireflies only to have her go on a very long tangent about why you should pronounce movies/shows by their Japanese titles, subs over dubs, and why is okay having characters that look like prepubescent boys where next to nothing. After that I swore to never tell anyone that I have watched a few anime movies/shows.

And now that you've broken your vow, let me tell you about magical girls...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So anyone here have experience with selling Marvel digital codes? I've sold a few on Ebay for a buck each but I was curious if there are other places where people buy and sell them.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Rhyno posted:

So anyone here have experience with selling Marvel digital codes? I've sold a few on Ebay for a buck each but I was curious if there are other places where people buy and sell them.

Reddit's comiccodes subreddit's where I go. A little easier to get regular folks you trade with thattaways. Less of a potential hassle than ebay, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Reddit's comiccodes subreddit's where I go. A little easier to get regular folks you trade with thattaways. Less of a potential hassle than ebay, too.

Do they have a sell section? I just wanna make MONEY.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think comics are the wrong industry for that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
For some reason when I was a kid I thought newspaper comics would be a great way to make a living. Modern economic realities and product obsolation had not yet set in for young WH yet.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

WickedHate posted:

For some reason when I was a kid I thought newspaper comics would be a great way to make a living. Modern economic realities and product obsolation had not yet set in for young WH yet.

Don't feel too bad, I majored in radio production in college. Probably why I work on an ambulance instead.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jedi posted:

Don't feel too bad, I majored in radio production in college. Probably why I work on an ambulance instead.

Let me tell you about a little thing called Night Vale...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Do they have a sell section? I just wanna make MONEY.

Eeyup! Honestly most people just do the $ for codes thing. $1 for regular $3.99 comics, more for comics priced over that. (How much varies and can lead to haggling, but whatever.) I phrased it a little incoherently in that post, sorry.

Like, you're just 'trading' codes for money the vast majority of the time. The weekly catalog/trade thread is good for new stuff, or you can start your own thread if you have a lot of old stuff. Older stuff can be harder to move, depending on what book/s you've got.

• Locked thread