Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

You say this but my Threadripper actually clocks up higher on Workstation vs. Pro. If I activate as Win10 pro on the Ryzen Balanced/High Performance power schemes I hit 3.7 to 3.8GHz XFR. Pro for Workstations I hit 4.0 to 4.05GHz using the Ultimate Power scheme. No idea what "magic" it's using here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

How are you liking Pro for workstations? How much candy crush BS remains in the OS?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

How are you liking Pro for workstations? How much candy crush BS remains in the OS?

All of it.

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, I really enjoy LTSB. Unless you need all the latest Windows features, I can't see a problem with it.

We have this for our standard distro at work, it's nice. But for example, you're not going to be able to play SEA OF THIEVES without being able to use the Store/XBOX apps.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I fixed my earlier issue with the update halting and rolling back - if there's anyone with a 945 chipset system still kicking around, have a look at this for a workaround.

On a totally different note, desktop background syncing seems to be broken in one direction. I can set a background on my laptop and it'll sync to the desktop, but not the other way around. Any suggestions?

Ed: jesus, how w10 handles synced themes is bloody stupid.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 16, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Stanley Pain posted:

You say this but my Threadripper actually clocks up higher on Workstation vs. Pro. If I activate as Win10 pro on the Ryzen Balanced/High Performance power schemes I hit 3.7 to 3.8GHz XFR. Pro for Workstations I hit 4.0 to 4.05GHz using the Ultimate Power scheme. No idea what "magic" it's using here.
The Threadripper is like the highest-end processor that AMD make. Workstations is built specifically to support the Threadripper and Core i9 series architectures because they are the top shelf cores you want for workstationing. Unless otherwise specified I think it's reasonable to assume a home user isn't going to be packing a $500+ cpu.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
What's the best way to accept a single meeting in a series of regular meetings in Outlook 365? Say, if there's a weekly board meeting every Monday, an invitee can specify that they're going to be there for a single instance without accepting attendance at an infinite number of meetings?

Is there a more suitable thread for this type of question?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

apropos man posted:

What's the best way to accept a single meeting in a series of regular meetings in Outlook 365? Say, if there's a weekly board meeting every Monday, an invitee can specify that they're going to be there for a single instance without accepting attendance at an infinite number of meetings?

Is there a more suitable thread for this type of question?

You have to accept the series, then decline it starting the occurrence after you can make it. I generally tentatively accept in these situations, and you can do it without sending a response. So you only send a response to the one you want to go to

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Medullah posted:

You have to accept the series, then decline it starting the occurrence after you can make it. I generally tentatively accept in these situations, and you can do it without sending a response. So you only send a response to the one you want to go to

Aww. I was hoping there's a plugin to accept a specific event but the Office Store is lacking. Never mind. Cheers.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I install as Enterprise first and then change to a Pro Workstation to eliminate all that BS :shobon:

Ghostlight posted:

The Threadripper is like the highest-end processor that AMD make. Workstations is built specifically to support the Threadripper and Core i9 series architectures because they are the top shelf cores you want for workstationing. Unless otherwise specified I think it's reasonable to assume a home user isn't going to be packing a $500+ cpu.

I agree, Pro for Workstations isn't for everyone.

However, if you want MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE Workstation Pro is the way to go. If you're on the budget to mid range end of things your flavour of Windows 10 doesn't matter.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Trying a little something new. Since I've got an 32:9 ultrawide now, I figure, "why continue to do things the old way and waste space along the bottom of the monitor, making every window artificially shorter? Let's try dragging the taskbar to the left or the right."

And to be honest, I'm surprised I didn't do this sooner. Only problem, dragging them this way makes it so that the start button is always in the top corner, and the clock is always in the bottom. Anyone know of a 3rd party tweak to allow for the bar to be switched around the other way?

Short of replacing the entire taskbar there isn't really a way to do this. I ended up using DisplayFusion Pro with an advanced setting to enable the DF taskbar on all monitors and a third party app to get rid of the OS taskbar.

Then I gave up on all that poo poo and just learned to deal with the start button being at the top.

With the stock vertical taskbar, if you hate wasted space, you should probably also install 7+ Taskbar Tweaker and enable the no_width_limit tweak to allow you to make the taskbar narrower. It also allows you to get rid of the ugly AF show desktop button that no-one uses any more.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
After reboot WSL thinks there are no installed distros on this PC, even though I had a fairly heavily used Ubuntu there, back from the time when distros weren't part of the app store. Has anyone else run into this?

Fixed by an actual reboot, I keep forgetting that shutdown + turn on is not the same thing :v:

Xarn fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 17, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

When 1803 installed on my liva mini pc, first it asked me to make some space and it also used a flash drive for a recovery backup (main drive is 32GB of onboard flash). The install failed and then it would just reboot and try to restore my previous version of windows, and then it would reboot, etc. I let it do that for 12 hours or so. None of the bootable repair options would work, startup repair failed, it was unable to refresh or recover or revert. I did a fresh install from my media creation tool flash drive from a month ago or so and tried again. The fresh install worked fine, but of course it wasn't on 1803 so it would spend a while trying to update to 1803 and then revert to the previous version (successfully this time). The error code was 0xC1900101 which is supposed to be a driver problem. The only driver that wasn't in there was Intel Trusted Platform Execution interface or something, so I put that in, resolving all of the driver issues and tried to update again but no luck with the same error code.

That's when I realized that 1803 is what the latest media creation tool has. So, I wiped the disk and reinstalled again from the latest iso and now it's on 1803 with no problems yet. I really dislike that windows updates regularly leave computers completely inoperable but at least I was able to resolve it by nuking the disk from orbit, I guess.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's totally windows fault that you have a peanut sized drive :(

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Stanley Pain posted:

It's totally windows fault that you have a peanut sized drive :(

Windows 10 explicitly supports devices with small hard drives. They spell it out exactly. It should have worked using an additional storage device. This is, in fact, Microsoft's fault.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#system-specifications

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

xamphear posted:

Windows 10 explicitly supports devices with small hard drives. They spell it out exactly. It should have worked using an additional storage device. This is, in fact, Microsoft's fault.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#system-specifications

If I wanted to be pedantic, those are the requirements from Windwows 7/8 to 10 upgrades :c00lbutt:

On a serious note I had no idea you could use a USB drive as secondary storage during the update. My guess is that Windows is enumerating the USB drive different pre/post upgrade and breaking something horrifically. Realistically you'd probably want 20GB free on that drive.

Rexxed probably did the right thing with just installing a fresh copy since 32GB of space is probably going to be skirting the lines for a successful upgrade.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I had to fresh install, there was no way to repair the broken upgrade. The failure wasn't due to space constraints, there's 11.8GB free on the 32GB flash right now (after installing some stuff from Ninite which is pretty much all I use this for). The 1803 update went normally on a couple of VMs and my laptop.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
A work colleague has one of those 32GB HP Stream things. It's a nice enough wee machine and performs surprisingly well for all that powers it, but the storage limitation is gruesome. Pretty much every time there's an 1803-type release I need to just flatten and reinstall.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

The 1803 release creates a windows.old folder in C: which you can manually remove if you want, by going to settings, storage, free up space.

I had to upgrade two brand new laptops to prepare them for use by our sales/admin team this week at work so there was no hesitation about deleting windows.old, as it implies that there might be old stuff in that might one day come in handy but these were brand new machines.

The size of windows.old? Roughly 30GB on each of my machines, which were similarly specced Dell's.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
So I just fresh installed Windows onto a brand new SSD and am in the process of dumping stuff from the old Windows HDD. However, I can't clear any of the Windows folders or even a good portion of the folders in Program Files. I have already gone through via CMD and taken ownership of all those folders. Yet when I try to delete it, Windows tells me I need permission from myself to delete the folder.

What the gently caress is going on? I've never seen this happen before. How can I both have ownership of the drive, set myself with full R/W access, and Windows just goes "yeah you still can't delete this, dipshit"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've had that happen to me before and drive me crazy. Sometimes a reboot helped.

When all else fails, though, boot a linux live usb and delete from there.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Running IObit Unlocker as administrator and using the "Unlock and Delete" tool in Forced Mode seems to be doing the trick. For some reason, I have to start deleting files and directories from the deepest part of the folder before I can then delete the parent folder. This makes absolutely no sense to me, but it's working, so gently caress it I guess.

EDIT: Nope, only works on certain folders. Time to get my Linux on.

barnold fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 18, 2018

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

apropos man posted:

The 1803 release creates a windows.old folder in C: which you can manually remove if you want, by going to settings, storage, free up space.
Is this striking you as anomalous? The last three Redstone upgrades did this, too.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

As far as I know, nearly every version of 10 has done that. I remember rolling back to a previous build using that Windows.old folder even during the Technical Preview I'm pretty sure.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I feel like Windows has been doing that since 8, and it has definitely been standard for all upgrade installs of 10 barring possibly the preview releases back before its official release.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Tapedump posted:

Is this striking you as anomalous? The last three Redstone upgrades did this, too.

No it's not "striking me as anomalous". Thanks for your concern.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Got a home network question; I guess there's a different thread for that but my machines are both Windows 10 so I figured I'd check here.

My laptop can no longer browse computers on the home network. When I click "Network" in file explorer, I see categories like "Home Automation," "Media Devices", "Other Devices", but no computers. Meanwhile, my desktop (tucked away rig that I basically use as a media server) shows all that, but also "Computers" with both itself and the laptop visible. I can click and browse through folders that have been shared on either computer.

Both machines are definitely on the same WiFi network; in fact the laptop can still interact with a shared folder from the desktop that I had previously mapped as a network drive. But I can't seem to view network paths at all on the laptop, which I could definitely do before (it's how I managed to map that network drive in the first place).

Any ideas? I tried starting a new workgroup with the desktop and then joining it with the laptop, but that didn't seem to accomplish anything (other than nuking shared printer settings on the laptop, apparently :mad:).

A peripheral issue is that when my laptop wakes up it seems to lose the mapped drive, until I sign out and back in again. But I figure I should sort out the basic network browsing first.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Windows 10, in the latest patch, killed Homegroup. FYI.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

apropos man posted:

No it's not "striking me as anomalous". Thanks for your concern.
I’m not concerned.

I’m curious. As to why you’re calling out behavior that dates back to the 8.1 upgrade as if it were new.

Thanks for a snarky answer, though. You make the forums proud.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Two poster enter, one poster leave.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Tapedump posted:

If snarky answers bother you, you may wish to reconsider how you phrase things in the first place. From here, apropos man seemed like they were being pretty forgiving.

That said, I ain't never seen a Windows.old directory, so maybe everyone else's computer is broken! :shrug:

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
You’re right. I apologize. My crappy morning shouldn’t spill into a thread.

It still strikes me as a curiosity, the same way someone stepping into a coffee shop to say, “Hey, there are these things called hybrid cars now” in TYOOL 2018.

However, sorry for my tone.

(Still weird, though.)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pretty much every install since Vista generates Windows.old if there was an old install detected. :shrug:

Win10 automatically cleans it up after a few days to a week or something, so that might explain why some people haven't seen it. Or they don't browse their C: drive.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

astral posted:

Pretty much every install since Vista generates Windows.old if there was an old install detected. :shrug:

Win10 automatically cleans it up after a few days to a week or something, so that might explain why some people haven't seen it. Or they don't browse their C: drive.

I've noticed it, mostly due to the file permissions of .old being a bitch and me being cheap and only running small ssds.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Running IObit Unlocker as administrator and using the "Unlock and Delete" tool in Forced Mode seems to be doing the trick. For some reason, I have to start deleting files and directories from the deepest part of the folder before I can then delete the parent folder. This makes absolutely no sense to me, but it's working, so gently caress it I guess.

EDIT: Nope, only works on certain folders. Time to get my Linux on.

FYI using the Windows Subsystem for Linux in Win10 will allow you to delete some stuff that Windows itself (via Explorer) refuses to.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I've noticed it, mostly due to the file permissions of .old being a bitch and me being cheap and only running small ssds.

Run Disk Cleanup as admin and it'll delete it without any pain.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

astral posted:

It does that in every version of Windows NT ever all the way back to 3.1. Although 2000 and older would be WINNT.old.
e: I’m actually misremembering, I did all that manually. It would just do that for the program files folder. I think you’re right, I think it was Vista and beyond where it wouldn’t just overwrite it like an idiot.

Laslow fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 18, 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wolrah posted:

Run Disk Cleanup as admin and it'll delete it without any pain.

Yeah Disk Cleanup's "Clean up system files" or whatever is what does the trick for me when I need to nuke old Windows updates/installs

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

So I just fresh installed Windows onto a brand new SSD and am in the process of dumping stuff from the old Windows HDD. However, I can't clear any of the Windows folders or even a good portion of the folders in Program Files. I have already gone through via CMD and taken ownership of all those folders. Yet when I try to delete it, Windows tells me I need permission from myself to delete the folder.

What the gently caress is going on? I've never seen this happen before. How can I both have ownership of the drive, set myself with full R/W access, and Windows just goes "yeah you still can't delete this, dipshit"

Are you able to otherwise get all the stuff you want to keep off of it? Because if you've already copied over everything you want, just go ahead and format the drive in Windows. It will wipe away any lingering permissions issues and you'll be free to use it for just storage.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Tapedump posted:

I’m not concerned.

I’m curious. As to why you’re calling out behavior that dates back to the 8.1 upgrade as if it were new.

@ (May 17, 2018 10:07) , Rexxed complained about Windows update not working on his Liva MiniPC.

@ (May 17, 2018 20:42), almost 11 hours later, in what is quite a popular thread, they said that they'd done a fresh install. Nobody had explicitly told Rexxed yet about the amount of extra disk space used by a major Windows update. A couple of people told Rexxed that he had a small drive.

@ (May 18, 2018 16:13), you seemed to suggest that I was somewhat stating the obvious and/or being naive. I felt I was just being a bit more explicit on a subject that a few people had skirted around by suggesting that Rexxed get a larger drive (which is perfectly good advice in itself, if lacking in the detail that I provided).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Thread title is perfect.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 19, 2018