Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think Ontario is moving in the right direction, tuition is beginning to get out of control, and in this economy there's not a guaranteed payoff after grad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
As more and more jobs vanish completely or get replaced by machines if we get GMI people will have a choice between dropping out of highschool at 16 and being poor or putting up with 6 years of high ancillary costs like 300$ textbooks per credit while trying to get a post secondary education and then hopefully with some luck to be sorta not poor.

But at least the actual tuition will be free.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tochiazuma posted:

"people that don't dislike the things I dislike" = "autist"

You are such a gem

PT6A is easily influenced, that's why a lot of his posts come across as "Goon Bingo" where he inserts as many goon-isms as possible. It's probably why he believed in a lot of the dumb poo poo he believed in when he first started posting and possibly why his views are aligning more and more with those of the majority of the Canadian threads

Whatever

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

Don't smokers and fats already save society money by dropping off early? The big money is keeping unproductive sickly olds barely alive for 30+ years after they retire.

This is becoming less true as medicine is getting better and better at keeping these people alive. Also, lifetime costs, yeah, because the fat fucks and smokers are dying early, they "save" money, but on a year-to-year basis being fat / smoker is way more medically expensive than being a regular healthy person.

sliderule posted:

Agreed, but also the same for vehicle exhaust.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If Trump pulls out of NAFTA does that mean Windsor will be a booming metropolis or more of the same?

I did 4 years in the Army and I'm getting a degree now. If the economy is awful when I'm done at least I know I can go back in without Harper sending me to some God-forsaken desert. Wear a blue helmet, walk around. I can do that. The Torries gutted VAC enough that it might better for me to be in than out.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

vyelkin posted:

Weed should have the same rules as smoking. Do it in your own house, not in public places. I don't want to get a contact high just because you can't keep yourself from smoking a joint at a bus stop.

Smoking at bus stops is against the law (at least in Toronto), but I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for it. Just like smoking within nine meters of entrances to public accommodations—it's annoyingly common, and nobody seems to be doing anything about it. I guess when weed is legal, people will smoke it such that the burning-dog-poo poo stench makes its way into my apartment even more than usual.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If you're doing a thing that smells like a hockey bag full of dead rats where people can smell you then you might be a jerk.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Professor Shark posted:

PT6A is easily influenced, that's why a lot of his posts come across as "Goon Bingo" where he inserts as many goon-isms as possible. It's probably why he believed in a lot of the dumb poo poo he believed in when he first started posting and possibly why his views are aligning more and more with those of the majority of the Canadian threads

Whatever

Sorry, no.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The smell of smoke sucks but a good breeze can clear it up relatively quick. What doesnt get cleared up is the carpet if discarded butts created at every single remotely populated area because smokers seem to feel like littering is only OK if they do it. Also a big fan of the neon cancer goo that gets coughed up and spit out all over the public spaces like clockwork.

I do not envy the politicians that take on this battle though. Its not an easily won fight, especially since they still have to deal with the crazies that want to ban its use even on your own property.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Furnaceface posted:

The smell of smoke sucks but a good breeze can clear it up relatively quick. What doesnt get cleared up is the carpet if discarded butts created at every single remotely populated area because smokers seem to feel like littering is only OK if they do it. Also a big fan of the neon cancer goo that gets coughed up and spit out all over the public spaces like clockwork.

I do not envy the politicians that take on this battle though. Its not an easily won fight, especially since they still have to deal with the crazies that want to ban its use even on your own property.

Define property, because the courts say shared dwellings are not personal space wrt smokers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

If you're doing a thing that smells like a hockey bag full of dead rats where people can smell you then you might be a jerk.

IDGAF. I am a durian outlaw.

Them shits is good. Less good after being frozen, but there's not too many other ways you can ship them these days.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I had to share an elevator with someone who reeked of the unholy combo if cigarettes and minty gum.

I almost gagged.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

As more and more jobs vanish completely or get replaced by machines if we get GMI people will have a choice between dropping out of highschool at 16 and being poor or putting up with 6 years of high ancillary costs like 300$ textbooks per credit while trying to get a post secondary education and then hopefully with some luck to be sorta not poor.

But at least the actual tuition will be free.

Why would finishing high school not be one of your options in this scenario?

Anyway I think free tuition is a bad thing unless it is very targeted, but given this is just a redistribution of funds, I'm assuming that's the goal anyway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

I support a strong kick be given to the nuts or gash of any smoker who is too inconsiderate to use a garbage can or ashtray, to be fair. Throwing your garbage on the ground is just ignorant.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I briefly dated a smoker last year, and I was genuinely surprised how much she, and everything she owned smelled like cigarettes. I guess when you only smell smokes at work or public places you forget that it's the baseline smell of their lives.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Frosted Flake posted:

I briefly dated a smoker last year, and I was genuinely surprised how much she, and everything she owned smelled like cigarettes. I guess when you only smell smokes at work or public places you forget that it's the baseline smell of their lives.
Spray some cleaning fluid on any surface near a smoker (car, house, whatever) and the liquid will turn a gross yellow as it dissolves all the particulates. That poo poo is in their lungs.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I really enjoy the loss of indoor smoking. I'm a severe asthmatic and cigarette smoke is incredibly uncomfortable. I can last 20 minutes in a room where someone smoked a cigarette a day ago without medication , nevermind in a whole room with them. If someone is smoking outside, I do have to get some distance but it isn't too bad, the danger zone of a reaction is pretty small. About 2 meters and I don't have to dose up on a rescue inhaler.

I feel some of you are exaggerating how repulsive it is. Maybe my standards are low cause my threshold of ok is avoiding an ambulance but this level of revulsion is extreme. I can never smoke and I want no one to pick it up but if they can understand my concern and make an effort to mitigate, I can reciprocate in understanding.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
loving looool the RCMP charged $900 000 in overtime putting nuttall and korody in jail.

Good job guys. Bang up job. You deserve an exemption from prosecution raping your colleagues

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

loving looool the RCMP charged $900 000 in overtime putting nuttall and korody in jail.

Good job guys. Bang up job. You deserve an exemption from prosecution raping your colleagues

How do you think they managed to wrack up that much overtime?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Why would finishing high school not be one of your options in this scenario?

Let's for a second assume that this worst case scenario comes to pass and automation does replace a massive amount of jobs and GMI is implemented but doesn't pay nearly enough to be comfortable bit instead is 'I can afford to rent a closet and eat no name KD. In that world the competition for positions that do exist will become much worse than it is now.

We're already at the state where 'Highschool diploma' is about as impressive a line item on a resume as 'can get through the day without super glueing their ear to their shoulder'. When we reach the above scenario, there will be no point in getting your highschool diploma unless you're ready to shell out for post secondary. Some say we're already at that point.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Still cant get over how many people were involved.

Vancouver Sun posted:

The court heard earlier that the operation involved more than 240 police officers, most of whom worked behind the scenes. Many were involved sporadically in the investigation.

The bulk of the project's overtime expenses, $519,039.55, went to 100 constables involved in the case, while 30 corporals were paid $128,369.76 and 24 sergeants received $69,494.65. Records show the Vancouver Police Department was given $92,397, though it's unclear how that money was divided.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Let's for a second assume that this worst case scenario comes to pass and automation does replace a massive amount of jobs and GMI is implemented but doesn't pay nearly enough to be comfortable bit instead is 'I can afford to rent a closet and eat no name KD. In that world the competition for positions that do exist will become much worse than it is now.

We're already at the state where 'Highschool diploma' is about as impressive a line item on a resume as 'can get through the day without super glueing their ear to their shoulder'. When we reach the above scenario, there will be no point in getting your highschool diploma unless you're ready to shell out for post secondary. Some say we're already at that point.

I went to a resume building seminar last summer and I was told to not even include high school on it. Like, not even a peep. Keep it to my most recent diploma and modify it per destination with any of my previous programs transferable skills. High school is just that unimportant now.

Job market in this country is vicious and we need to stop pretending bootstraps will pull the ever increasing legions of working poor and poor out of the pits and into the work force.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
high school would be more important if it wasn't so poo poo

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No poo poo people with post secondary don't need to include high school on their resume. High school is important if you don't have it.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Cultural Imperial posted:

WooHoo! Oscar Tango! Belly up to the trough, boys!

Large overtime charges are a good way to get your project shitcanned in some parts of the government. Obviously not a problem for those entrusted with entrapping drug-addled tard buckets and providing Harperite talking points.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PT6A posted:

Sorry, no.

It's made you into a fair to middling poster so it's all for the best

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
What's with the dystopian future clancy chat itt.

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/government-ads-liberals-1.3455529?cmp=rss

Liberals spend $3.5M in government advertising in first 4 months

Not mentioned: Liberal ad spending a fraction of Conservatives, even adscam was less

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/vice-rcmp-1.3468554?cmp=rss

VICE vs. RCMP court battle begins on Monday

'Journalistic sources are not protected by a class privilege,' says government

A Canadian media outlet squares off against the government Monday in a legal battle that pits media freedoms against the ability of police to investigate terrorism offences.

VICE Media and its Toronto journalist Ben Makuch want Ontario Superior Court to quash an order that they hand over material related to their interviews with a suspected terrorist to the RCMP.

"Courts should be wary of allowing the state to conscript journalists as investigative arms of the police," VICE and Makuch state in their factum.

"If media outlets are permitted to become investigative arms of the police through the use of production orders, the media's important role and credibility will be undermined, as well as its ability to gather information."

A year ago, Ontario court Judge Jack Nadelle ordered the online news outlet to hand over materials that Makuch used to produce three articles in 2014 about Farah Shirdon, of Calgary, including that he had left Canada to fight for Islamic State. The stories were based on conversations Makuch had with Shirdon via an online instant messaging app called Kik Messenger.

Police said they needed the information to gather possible further evidence against the Canadian. Nadelle ordered VICE to turn over unedited copies of records of communications with Shirdon and any notes related to how they had communicated with him.

Public interest

The Toronto-born Shirdon, 22, a nephew of a former prime minister of Somalia, has made threats publicly against Canada and the U.S.

In October 2014, Makuch cited Shirdon as saying from Iraq: "Canadians at home shall face the brunt of the retaliation. If you are in this crusader alliance against Islam and Muslims you shall see your streets filled with blood."

Last September, RCMP charged Shirdon in absentia with several offences, including leaving Canada to participate in the activity of a terrorist group, taking part in the activity of a terrorist group, and threatening the U.S. and Canada.

"All members of the public, including the media, have an interest in seeing that these crimes are investigated and prosecuted," the government says in its court submissions.

In requesting the court uphold the production order against VICE, the government argues RCMP were mindful of the media's special role in society but freedom of the media must be balanced against the strong public interest in prosecuting terrorist offences.

"Journalistic sources are not protected by a class privilege," the government says. "Journalists cannot give a source a total assurance of confidentiality."

'Chilling effect'

VICE and Makuch will also be asking the court for access to the sealed supporting documentation RCMP used to get the order.

The government, however, argues that making the information public could jeopardize an ongoing national-security investigation or hurt innocent third parties. As a result, it says it is now willing to release only part of the material.

In asking the court to quash the production order, VICE argues RCMP have already charged Shirdon with various terrorism offences, a sign authorities believe they have enough evidence against him without the requested documents.

VICE also says all the information relevant to the charges is contained in the articles Makuch wrote. Forcing him to turn over the underlying materials amounts to a fishing expedition that could create a "chilling effect" in which sources of important information for journalists would dry up.

The case resembles an ongoing battle in the United States, where the FBI is trying to get Apple to hack the iPhone of a gunman in the San Bernardino, Calif., shooting in December that left 14 dead and 22 wounded.

Over reach of government continues

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Is this really how people feel about tobacco smoke? It never bothered me before I started smoking, it obviously didn't bother me when I was a smoker, and it still doesn't bother me now that I've quit. Are you all a bunch of autists or something?

Tobacco smoke itself doesn't smell that bad, but if I'm in an enclosed space when someone starts smoking I will get a headache. Also the way that smoke gets into the walls/clothing of a long time smoker gets really disgusting.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
That person is being a crybaby, says the actual literal crybaby who needs to suck on their pacifier right now in public and doesn't care that they smell like poo poo.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

jm20 posted:

What's with the dystopian future clancy chat itt.

Not mentioned: Liberal ad spending a fraction of Conservatives, even adscam was less

Over reach of government continues

Goddamnit VICE why do you keep doing things that make me like you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

Tobacco smoke itself doesn't smell that bad, but if I'm in an enclosed space when someone starts smoking I will get a headache. Also the way that smoke gets into the walls/clothing of a long time smoker gets really disgusting.

Actually, it does smell "that bad" to some people.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Goddamnit VICE why do you keep doing things that make me like you.

Don't worry, RCMP will win this one.

http://mccagueborlack.com/emails/articles/journalist_privilege.html posted:

A journalist does not have the constitutional right to protect a confidential source. That is the ruling of the Supreme Court of Canada in R v National Post, released on May 7th [2010]. In an 8-1 decision, the Court also found that Canadian journalists, unlike their counterparts in Australia, New Zealand and many US states, cannot claim a common law class privilege. Such a privilege, or "shield", as it commonly referred to, exempts a journalist from being legally obliged to divulge information about, or from, a confidential source.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

BallsFalls posted:

Don't worry, RCMP will win this one.

Vice seems just principled enough to go to jail over it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
This will just force Canadian journalists to have a US counterpart that encapsulates the source information and withholds it from the Canadian reporters and the like. It's an absolutely bizarre way to go about things especially if they have already charged the person. This is the digital age, reporters don't necessarily need to be 'boots on the ground' like before.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
second hand smoke increases the risk of sids in babies

smoking is just generally a gross loving thing

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

If you get all worked up about people smoking in the same public park as you I'm going to assume you're generally terrible to be around.

I don't smoke or enjoy secondhand smoke but if someone lights one up in a 5 metre radius I just put on my big boy pants and get over it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/29/goodwill-tecno-to-proceed-with-bankruptcy-ceo-keiko-nakamura-resigns

Goodwill CEO resigns as restructuring fails

Goodwill Industries of Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario says efforts to restructure have been unsuccessful and it's going bankrupt.

Keiko Nakamura, who has resigned as Goodwill's CEO, said Monday in a statement that she has concluded there is no viable option that allows the organization to re-emerge from the bankruptcy process.

Nakamura says a revival plan to reopen profitable stores, although feasible, cannot be achieved without significant financial investment and the lack of security for a loan is an untenable risk for potential investors.

Of the $6 million debt, approximately $4.2 million is owed to former employees in vacation entitlement and severance.

The trustee, Pollard & Associates Inc., has called a meeting with creditors for March 2.

Last month, the charitable organization announced it would close 16 stores, 10 donation centres and two offices due to cash flow problems, affecting more than 430 workers.

"This loss severely disrupts the lives of former staff, many of whom may experience difficulty in finding an equivalent replacement position," Nakamura said.

She said the community has lost a reliable way of disposing of goods that are no longer needed while at the same time supporting the community, while shoppers are left with fewer sources for reasonably priced goods.

The proposed restructuring plan would have required loans or investments of $2 million as an opening balance to assist in the payment of arrears and any reopening costs.

It would also have needed concessions from the unionized staff, including a reduction in hours, layoffs, labour efficiency improvements, and benefit costs.

Apart from staff, the other creditors include landlords of leased properties.

Just start the criminal investigation for fraud already, nepotism and incompetence are quite a combination.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Trapick posted:

If you get all worked up about people smoking in the same public park as you I'm going to assume you're generally terrible to be around.

I don't smoke or enjoy secondhand smoke but if someone lights one up in a 5 metre radius I just put on my big boy pants and get over it.

Good for you bud :thumbsup:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Trapick posted:

Cool, when you get cancer from secondhand smoke, do put on your big boy pants and tell us how that works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I had a busy few days so I hope I can be forgiven for replying to a few posts that are a few days old.

PT6A posted:

Should hotels be heavily restricted? These are, after all, large buildings which could be used to house people.

To me the focus of a policy should be primarily on its real world outcome rather than this kind of abstract reasoning. If the construction of hotels can be shown to have a negative impact on available housing or rental stock then that would be a reason to think about restricting the growth of the hotel industry, but to actually reach any kind of decision you'd need to weigh all kinds of different factors.

quote:

I agree with you, Helsing, that it's absolutely a bad thing to continue down the path of viewing housing as an investment as opposed to a place to live. It's unquestionably harming our society, and it looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better. My issue is that short- and medium-stay facilities also provide a necessary and useful service for society, and the niche that AirBnB is exploiting is as much about providing a product that never existed before as it is about competing on price with existing offerings.

If it was up to me, I'd just say raise the property tax on any property which is not used primarily by the owner of the property, and redirect the money gained through that to subsidize long-term renters and services for long-term residents.

I think we're in broad agreement regarding the need for higher property taxes being used to assist longer term residents, but I'd add that we could use more active regulatory oversite dedicated to maintaining property values at sustainable levels, more along the lines of what they do in Germany (see the story posed below). The specific question of how the tax should be levied (i.e. your proposal to raise taxes on property not used by their owner) is a complicated one and would probably require more fine tuning.

quote:

Further: what inherent value is there to having long-term residents or "members of the local community?" How would you define these things? I don't really have an answer, to be honest with you. What value do I contribute to anything by occupying my condo on a regular basis that is not equally served by having 52 different people occupy my condo for one week per year each? What about my neighbours? Is my life meaningfully different because the same person is on the other side of the hall, instead of a succession of different people? Ultimately, dwellings are indeed places to live, but when people are living some place for a short period of time, they don't cease to be people or cease to require shelter.

Well this is partially a function of your age and lifestyle. For many people your neighbours are really important because you rely on them in all kinds of ways. When my grandmother (who lives in northern Ontario) had to be rushed to the hospital it was a neighbour who stayed with my 91 year old grandfather over night while my uncle followed the ambulance to the hospital. Similarly their neighbours have been really important for helping them collect mail, checking up on them and performing other basic tasks that make it possible for them to still live on their own in the house of their choosing rather than some retirement home. Similarly your neighbours are the ones who might have a spare key if your locked out, who might spot a stranger lurking around your property at night, who might call you because there was damage to your property while you were away. For that matter some of my earliest friends as a child were the boys and girls living in the houses next to mine. Neighbours can be friends, they can watch out for you and your property when you can't, they can lend you tools, share important moments with you.

Having relatively stable communities is a big deal for raising kids, retiring, etc. It's easy to take for granted if you don't need it or haven't paid much attention to it but this stuff matters. If you're settling down somewhere for the long haul its good to have some sense of who the other people living around you are. Having really high turn over in all the apartments or houses around you doesn't sound very desirable to me if I were looking for a long term living situation. I'm sure it'd be fine in some circumstances but overall a bit of stability is helpful for trying to plan out your life.

Ikantski posted:

Yeah NDP, run on an ultra left platform after 4 years of Sunny Ways spending with nothing to show for it. Anything is possible but Mulcair blew their golden opportunity and should have been turfed twice for that. Too bad NDP doesn't believe in firing people.

Never mind an "ultra-left" platform. There's a space opening up for anti-establishment or populist campaigns that I think could make the Liberals very vulnerable. Instead of debating deficits or spending go after the party itself and dissect the systematic causes of Liberal policy failure. I don't think that future political elections are necessarily going to be a debate over simply increasing or decreasing spending and making slight increases or decreases to a handful of programs. If anything, the NDP's focus on this at the expense of bigger picture issues is a big part of why they keep losing, at least in my opinion.

blah_blah posted:

That's a bit reductive. The medallion system definitely doesn't provide a particularly comfortable life for typical medallion renters, and concentrates wealth in the hands of a few entrenched companies and their main shareholders or owners (not particularly unlike what Uber does!). The main difference is that at least Uber relies on having a superior product to gain market share, rather than lobbying by rent-seeking medallion owners.

I'd also argue that Uber isn't just a novelty or a luxury service. Uber (and to a lesser extent Lyft) has actually been my main mode of transportation for the last 2 years (not uncommon for tech workers living in the Bay Area) and I've spent around 1k to 2k per year on it. That's less than half of what I would pay for a parking spot alone in this city, to say nothing of the costs of actually owning a vehicle and having insurance for it. I wouldn't be able to do this with public transit or cabs; neither are reliable or convenient enough.

Based on some conversations I had with taxi drivers in the past I was under the impression they made more than this despite the medallion system. Having looked into it you're apparently correct and the typical driver in Toronto makes a lot less than I anticipated.

Dreylad posted:

I went to an event welcoming some refugees, and there were a couple of speakers who work with refugees at different steps in their transition to living here. One of the speakers, who helps them set up a bank account, get ID, find employment and find housing said that by far housing was the most difficult part of the whole process because there just isn't affordable housing anymore.

I was also listening to a York urban planning prof talk about the history of the big apartment complexes up in the Jane & Finch area. She said that the frustrating part was that most of those apartment buildings were reaching the end of their expected lifespan, they housed something like 80% of Toronto's poor, but nothing was being done to start building new homes at all.

Canada's priorties are hosed these days.

If you read through old planning documents you'll find some really heinous stuff. I remember reading one of the documents setting out a master plan for the Jane Finch area (somewhat unusually the entire area was bought by the province in the 1950s with plans to use part of it for social housing and part of it for what became York University. In the original version of the master plan York's main gate even opened onto the Jane and Finch intersection). The document says something like "Since this area (Jane and Finch) will be noisy and high traffic it will be ideal for low income housing". It's that blatant; this is gonna be a noisy, dirty area, so it's perfect for the poors.

And yet, despite that, they were still building low income housing. And a lot of it. Under Frederick G. Gardiner postwar Toronto got loaded up with some really lovely highways (the Gardiner express among them) but we also built a lot of social housing, and Gardiner and other members of the Metro government were way more willing to tell NIMBYists to gently caress off when they complained about the city building social housing nearby.

It's remarkable how awful the 1950s-1970s seemed while they were happening, and yet how often they seem like a lost golden age now when we can't even be bothered to construct rat infested slums for the poor.