Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Oh, and I'll :toxx: again for the detachment in 2018. Because I never learn.

edit: Calas Typhon, a Tac Squad, Grave Wardens.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

TKIY fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 2, 2018

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

:refurb:

2018 :toxx: challenge!

Competitors like me and including me will solemnly :toxx: to complete, before 2019, an allied detachment. You must, at minimum, build and paint: (1) an HQ choice, (2) a Troops choice, and (3) an additional Elites, Fast Attack, or Heavy Support choice, all in the same color scheme and composed such that they can form legal HQ/Troop/etc options in Warhammer Thirty Thousand The Horus Heresy.

-this poo poo can be from the same faction (even the same Legion) as your existing army, providing that there’s something visually and/or thematically distinctive about them. E.g., forums poster Safety Factor is doing Ravenwing to add to his Dark Angels.
-the Troops choice doesn’t have to be a standard Compulsory; you can take a Special Weapons Squad or Pride-Of-The-Legion Terminators or whatever.
-if you’re doing Talons, you need to satisfy the Troops requirement with something other than Custodes.

That’s basically it. I’m just the ideas dude, someone else can formalize this.

I'm currently a 40k player with a betrayal at calth box from christmas and an itch to mess around with 30k.

So I don't really need an allied detachment.. I need an army in the first place.

:toxx: for finally picking a legion and painting up one of the HQs, the 30 tacticals, the 5 terminators, and the dreadnought.

I still have probably a hundred Tyranids to paint for 40k too. What could possibly go wrong?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

General Olloth posted:

I'm currently a 40k player with a betrayal at calth box from christmas and an itch to mess around with 30k.

So I don't really need an allied detachment.. I need an army in the first place.

:toxx: for finally picking a legion and painting up one of the HQs, the 30 tacticals, the 5 terminators, and the dreadnought.

I still have probably a hundred Tyranids to paint for 40k too. What could possibly go wrong?

Just a reminder that posting :toxx: willy nilly in this thread generally means you get signed up for the toxx.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I :toxx: for 2018.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Just a reminder that posting :toxx: willy nilly in this thread generally means you get signed up for the toxx.

As is right and proper.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Time for a new year's de-:toxx:

The Emperor: The imperium owes you a debt of gratitude, son. Now I understand you were wounded. Where were you hit?
Perturabo: In the but:toxx: Sir.
The Emperor: Oh, that must be a sight.
[Whispering to Perturabo]
The Emperor: I'd like to see that.
[Perturabo shows him; The Emperor walks away embarrassed]
The Emperor: God drat, son!

I am in for a daemonic ally for my oval office militia. I will be using similar alternates to last year's big daemon.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

General Olloth posted:

Welcome and good luck! It took me like a year to pick a legion, and I know lots of other people struggled with it as well, so you’re in good company. I gave thought to the following:

-Color scheme easy or hard? Interesting? Built-in variety and/or room for personalization? Is it too close to another army I already own?
-Are the unique units cool? If I pick this Legion, what other Legion-specific units will I be deeply jealous of?
-How’s the fluff? Are there any particular characters in the books I want to put on the table? Do I like thinking about these guys? Do I mind seeing them win? Do I mind seeing them lose?
-What 30k units do I absolutely unequivocally want to own, period? (For me, it was Breachers.) Are they at least okay in this army?
-Does the fluffy playstyle align with my personal playstyle?
-Who are their closest allies? Do any of them interest me as a potential separate force?

I pretty quickly came up with a shortlist of five, but from there it took a lot of time. Join the 30k Slack chat and well help you out.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Sulecrist posted:

Welcome and good luck! It took me like a year to pick a legion, and I know lots of other people struggled with it as well, so you’re in good company. I gave thought to the following:

-Color scheme easy or hard? Interesting? Built-in variety and/or room for personalization? Is it too close to another army I already own?
-Are the unique units cool? If I pick this Legion, what other Legion-specific units will I be deeply jealous of?
-How’s the fluff? Are there any particular characters in the books I want to put on the table? Do I like thinking about these guys? Do I mind seeing them win? Do I mind seeing them lose?
-What 30k units do I absolutely unequivocally want to own, period? (For me, it was Breachers.) Are they at least okay in this army?
-Who are their closest allies? Do any of them interest me as a potential separate force?

I pretty quickly came up with a shortlist of five, but from there it took a lot of time. Join the 30k Slack chat and well help you out.

Doing this checklist for my legion:

-it’s loving black, so somehow both hard to do and visually uninteresting.
-there are no unique units. I am jealous of the very concept of legion specific unique units.
-there are no special characters. Fluff is presumably going to be very cool someday but there is no release date for when that’s coming, and the biggest story for my legion takes place after Terra.
-I want to take a little bit of everything but be brutally punished by my legion rules.
-my personal playstyle involves losing frequently and here the fluff supports me.
-lol, just lol if your legion has allies. Inviolate and Alone bitches.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

-there are no unique units. I am jealous of the very concept of legion specific unique units.
-there are no special characters. Fluff is presumably going to be very cool someday but there is no release date for when that’s coming, and the biggest story for my legion takes place after Terra.
-I want to take a little bit of everything but be brutally punished by my legion rules.
-my personal playstyle involves losing frequently and here the fluff supports me.

Sounds like the perfect goon legion then.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
My checklist was "Holy poo poo thallax are awesome I'm playing Admech"
That was after book 1 came out and I got a small thing of thallax.
Book 2: "oh wow castellax are neat, yeah I'll go in for some"
Book 3: "oh god I've murdered all my friends, I should choose something else with big guns"
And that's when I went to my second choice. :perturabo:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It took me like three years to pick a legion, and I ended up picking five.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I still haven’t properly picked a Legion, I just occasionally paint Space Wolves because grey is super easy.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Ettin has just been sent a list of the damned :commissar:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Pick a legion that you think is cool. Otherwise you'll get bored of them

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Hixson posted:

Yeah but they’re all cool. Except for Dark Angels, Thousand Sons, Raven Guard, Iron Warriors, Blood Angels, Death Guard...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ijyt posted:

Greedy.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:same:

Sulecrist posted:

Yeah but they're all cool. Except for Dark Angels.
:same:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sulecrist posted:

:refurb:

2018 :toxx: challenge!

Competitors like me and including me will solemnly :toxx: to complete, before 2019, an allied detachment. You must, at minimum, build and paint: (1) an HQ choice, (2) a Troops choice, and (3) an additional Elites, Fast Attack, or Heavy Support choice, all in the same color scheme and composed such that they can form legal HQ/Troop/etc options in Warhammer Thirty Thousand The Horus Heresy.

-this poo poo can be from the same faction (even the same Legion) as your existing army, providing that there’s something visually and/or thematically distinctive about them. E.g., forums poster Safety Factor is doing Ravenwing to add to his Dark Angels.
-the Troops choice doesn’t have to be a standard Compulsory; you can take a Special Weapons Squad or Pride-Of-The-Legion Terminators or whatever.
-if you’re doing Talons, you need to satisfy the Troops requirement with something other than Custodes.

That’s basically it. I’m just the ideas dude, someone else can formalize this.

I sudden death :toxx: for 2018. Not sure what my allies it will be, but so help me I'll do it or else you can perma ban my sorry rear end

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

I sudden death :toxx: for 2018. Not sure what my allies it will be, but so help me I'll do it or else you can perma ban my sorry rear end

Mighty confident there buddy, would be a shame if someone broke your fingers at lvo...

:toxx:ing for Daemon allies for my word bearer boys.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

BULBASAUR posted:

:rip:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

ijyt posted:

Just lol if you only play one Legion. I might not have a single army painted yet but by God I have enough models for my two main Legions and a selection of lots of others. How can you not buy the Mechanicum stuff, honestly?

Hixson posted:

This is the best advice.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Hahahahaha, :rip:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

:goose:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah I know, that's why I did it. It wasn't willy nilly! Plus the worst case scenario is actually that I have to buy back my forums account which is pretty much nothing relative to the cost of giving gamesworkshop/forgeworld money even once.

Sulecrist posted:

Thanks! I'll PM you for a slack invite.

Hixson posted:

Absolutely, that is the number one criteria.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Never before have I seen a man volunteer to walk into his own death.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
It's a typo guys

He means 20018

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Alright I’ve looked over the LoW entries a few times, and the winner is ijyt! That Knight is fuckin awesome! Get at me on slack and we’ll get the prize train rolling. Everybody did a great job!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
These Iron Warriors allies are a catch-all for things my World Eaters don't have: anti-air, phosphex, back line objective campers, and outflanking anti-tank.

++ Allied Detachment (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Siege Breaker [130pts]: Bolt Pistol, On Foot, Power Armour (Praetor/Centurion), Refractor Field, Thunder Hammer
. Consul: Siege Breaker

+ Heavy Support +

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad [570pts]: 4x Tyrant Terminator
. Land Raider Proteus: Armoured Ceramite, Explorator Augury Web, Extra Armour, Shrapnel Bolts, Twin-linked Heavy Bolter

+ Allegiance +

and Allegiance, Legion: IV: Iron Warriors, Traitor

+ Troops +

Breacher Siege Squad, Legion [230pts]: 9x Breacher Siege Space Marines, Legion
. Additional Wargear: 2x Graviton Gun
. Breacher Siege Sergeant, Legion: Bolter

Tactical Squad, Legion [125pts]: 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion
. Additional Wargear: Bolters
. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Bolter

+ Elites +

Quad Launcher Support Battery, Legion [270pts]: Phosphex Canister Shot, 3x Rapier, Legion, Shatter Shell

+ Fast Attack +

Tarantula Sentry Gun Battery, Legion [175pts]: Concealment, Forward Deployment, Hyperios air-defence, 3x Tarantula Sentry Gun

++ Total: [1500pts] ++

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

panascope posted:

Alright I’ve looked over the LoW entries a few times, and the winner is ijyt! That Knight is fuckin awesome! Get at me on slack and we’ll get the prize train rolling. Everybody did a great job!

:shittydog:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I feel ___ was robbed and there should be a drama.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nah, ijyt won.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

THE HALL OF SHAME

I failed to paint my superheavy in December

because I painted this in December instead

Let the :vomarine: commence, for I have only failed sideways.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Failed to paint a badass warmachine or superhuman for God's Own Game, because you were painting Elven space clowns for a children's game? Shameful!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I feel ___ was robbed and there should be a drama.

Well, Ijyt's took 14 times longer than mine so if his knight is only 14 times better than mine that is pretty pathetic.

For real though, it is at least 15 times better.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rulebook Heavily posted:

A toxx is a toxx.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Not only are they not a Lord of War, you can’t even play them in 30k. I’d classify that as more of a traditional failure really.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

A betrayal of the highest degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Rulebook Heavily posted:

A permanent ban is the only possible atonement for this.