Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
because those people don't actually care if the palestinian people suffer, op

E: Sorry, that came off as a snide snipe. I'm assuming you know this, and are genuinely hoping there might be a less monstrous rationale behind there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Not conflict related but still a pretty big tragedy, at least 44 worshippers have been crashed to death in the Lag Baomer festival on Mt. Meron, pretty shocking event, seems like the police were negligent and amateurish when it came to keeping people safe and evacuating them after the disaster.

https://twitter.com/talschneider/status/1387982501323460608

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/30/killed-in-crush-at-religious-festival-in-israel-lag-baomer-mount-meron

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

IronClaymore posted:

Is it ok to be anti-Israel in terms of all their horrible apartheid xenophobic shittiness, but a little bit pro-Israel in terms of post WW2 idealistic Zionism?
yes, that's pretty normal

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
is it insensitive/wrongheaded to be in the “well did it have to be there” camp?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Tweezer Reprise posted:

is it insensitive/wrongheaded to be in the “well did it have to be there” camp?
yes, because that discounts an indigenous people's connection to their ancestral land

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Not conflict related but still a pretty big tragedy, at least 44 worshippers have been crashed to death in the Lag Baomer festival on Mt. Meron, pretty shocking event, seems like the police were negligent and amateurish when it came to keeping people safe and evacuating them after the disaster.
this is hideous :( the gathering seemed particularly significant this year, coming so soon after israel's "defeat" of coronavirus and the lifting of crowd restrictions. the haredi communities went through a uniquely harrowing 2020 that nobody else in the world will ever know or understand. for this to happen now is horrible.

perepelki fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 30, 2021

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
yeah that was a poor formulation of what I meant to say. As an American surrounded by diaspora Jewish people and culture, I guess I was rather ignorant until relatively recently of how strong that connection still was for a lot of modern-day Jewish people.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

perepelki posted:

the haredi communities went through a uniquely harrowing 2020 that nobody else in the world will ever know or understand.

iunno. I'm in texas and it rings familiar

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

perepelki posted:

yes, because that discounts an indigenous people's connection to their ancestral land

drat if only Rhodesia had thought to use this argument, everyone's ancestors were indigenous to Africa after all

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

perepelki posted:

lmao

I don't think anyone involved with that project thought that indigenous populations had any rights wrt their ancestral land

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I was all about the Uganda plan honestly

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Got an SMS:

quote:

לזכות הקדושים שנפגעו במירון
עם ישראל מתאחד בדממה ושומר את השבת הקרובה!
Translated:

quote:

In honour of the martyrs who were hurt in Miron
The people of Israel unites in silence and keeps the next Saturday!

The fatalities haven't been even buried yet and the religious nutters are already using them to push people to their way of life.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

We might write some speculation about the legal repercussions - the investigative committee etc. Anything that the average reader goon would like to know?

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

lmao

I don't think anyone involved with that project thought that indigenous populations had any rights wrt their ancestral land

It's time for the descendents of the religiously persecuted American pilgrims to take back their ancestral lands.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

human garbage bag posted:

It's time for the descendents of the religiously persecuted American pilgrims to take back their ancestral lands.
That analogy might work if the Vikings maintained their settlement and ~10% of American population was consistently European-descended up until the 1776? And if the majority of non-native US population post 1776 was Latinx?

I don't know if that would matter. But if it doesn't, then it's even more weird that people insist on pretending that Israeli Jews are mostly Europeans who took over a land that didn't have any Jews in it until the Zionists came along.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Xander77 posted:

it's even more weird that people insist on pretending that Israeli Jews are mostly Europeans who took over a land that didn't have any Jews in it until the Zionists came along.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xander77 posted:

That analogy might work if the Vikings maintained their settlement and ~10% of American population was consistently European-descended up until the 1776? And if the majority of non-native US population post 1776 was Latinx?

Palestinians aren't non-native, they're the descendants of the people living in Roman Palestine at the time of the destruction of the Temple.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ethnic cleansing is wrong, regardless of any previously established narratives.

I hope this opinion isn't too controversial.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It’s all Britain’s fault as usual, lol if you blame the Jews for taking matters in their own hands considering the hundreds of years of western betrayal. Yeah Israel right now sucks but maybe we shouldn’t have persecuted them for half a millennium

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah that's a narrative, it does not justify ethnic cleansing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

please knock Mom! posted:

It’s all Britain’s fault as usual, lol if you blame the Jews for taking matters in their own hands

:aochloe:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah that's a narrative, it does not justify ethnic cleansing.

The thing about ethnic cleansing is that it doesn’t need to be justified, because it can’t be. You just have to be able to do it without other people with bigger guns telling you to stop

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The thing about ethnic cleansing is that it doesn’t need to be justified, because it can’t be. You just have to be able to do it without other people with bigger guns telling you to stop

And yet you attempted to.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

It’s all Britain’s fault as usual, lol if you blame the Jews for taking matters in their own hands considering the hundreds of years of western betrayal.

I do

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

also a bad take, distilling government policy of israel to "the jews" ain't okay either

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Palestinians aren't non-native, they're the descendants of the people living in Roman Palestine at the time of the destruction of the Temple.
"Non-native" in the analogy does not refer to Palestinians.

(It's Arab\Mizrahi Jews)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Miftan posted:

And yet you attempted to.

I really hate Israel’s government, but imo other major powers could stand to take some responsibility for what’s happening to Palestinians, because relying on the Israeli political system to care hasn’t worked out so far. How many years of pointing and muttering “that’s kind of bad” are we at now?

Meanwhile the entire zone is still headed to a one state solution as soon as the last Palestinian is sniped by the umpteenth inexplicably bloodthirsty twenty-something IDF soldier (at which point the fascists in charge will have to find a new target and I really wouldn’t want to be of Arab descent).

Don’t take my statements as defenses of Israel’s policies, but more as a total disbelief that their government is capable of doing something good or kind. And as someone who didn’t grow up in a dysfunctional hellhole, I’ve never understood why people choose to behave that way.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yes clearly it's everyone else's fault

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

It’s all Britain’s fault as usual, lol if you blame the Jews for taking matters in their own hands considering the hundreds of years of western betrayal. Yeah Israel right now sucks but maybe we shouldn’t have persecuted them for half a millennium

keep my people's name out of your mouth with your fourth grade reading of history you dumb piece of poo poo.

also Israel's government is not 'the Jews' you antisemite

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I really hate Israel’s government, but imo other major powers could stand to take some responsibility for what’s happening to Palestinians, because relying on the Israeli political system to care hasn’t worked out so far. How many years of pointing and muttering “that’s kind of bad” are we at now?

The Palestinians are literally under Israeli sovereignty though. Regardless of what any other major power does or doesn't do, Israel maintains the existing apartheid system it could unilaterally end at any time.

I'm with you that the rest of the world isn't doing enough, but the direct responsibility is on Israel.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Post better, folks.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

sexpig by night posted:

keep my people's name out of your mouth with your fourth grade reading of history you dumb piece of poo poo.

also Israel's government is not 'the Jews' you antisemite

Sorry. I'll read up more and pick my words better to distinguish between the people calling the shots in Israel and Jewish people as a whole. I did not mean to paint all of you with the same brush, I don't regularly discuss this subject at all so using the right terms doesn't come naturally to me.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm with you that the rest of the world isn't doing enough, but the direct responsibility is on Israel.

I agree with this. But sometimes I get pretty angry when there's another humanitarian crisis, NGO-sent aid is waylaid or destroyed, and (other) governments just... do nothing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NGO-sent aid is waylaid or destroyed, and (other) governments just... do nothing.

just got a flashback to cynthia mckinney

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

i say swears online posted:

just got a flashback to cynthia mckinney

Yeah I posted some pretty cringy stuff, sorry for that. I’ll try again when I’m feeling better-brained.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

haha no i mean she was part of a gaza aid flotilla that got raided in 2009

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah that’s the stuff I was getting at. Lots of violence against/reported by MSF too. Comic book villain poo poo like shooting to maim

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Time for more elections? Again?

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1389688422441398273?s=20

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Israel loves calling itself 'the only democracy in the middle east' so much they're just gonna always be voting I guess

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The opposition gets a chance first.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

perhaps this time they will form a government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

evilweasel posted:

The opposition gets a chance first.
Yeah that just hasn't worked out well lately