Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
Is it worth buying a PS4 Pro for this and Nier: Automata? I'm a dumbass nerd with no impulse control plz hlp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Is it worth buying a PS4 Pro for this and Nier: Automata? I'm a dumbass nerd with no impulse control plz hlp.

did you even look at the thread poll or what?

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

did you even look at the thread poll or what?

But is awesome worth $400?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
if there are other games on the system you want, then sure. there's Uncharted 4, World of Final Fantasy, Bloodborne, etc.

don't buy a system for one game, unless you really just have money to burn. but if you get the system, FFXV is absolutely worth picking up

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

The choice is now or in a few months, so if this is actually as good as it seems, I'll just grab one now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dimo ArKacho posted:

The choice is now or in a few months, so if this is actually as good as it seems, I'll just grab one now.

No, wait. I mean it. The current version of the game is being patched to improve it. You shouldn't rush to grab a system if this is your big system seller. Wait for the GotY edition or whatever and you'll almost certainly have a better experience.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

On the other hand, if you wait, you'll miss out on the moogle chocobo carnival, which gives you the GREATEST OUTFITS POSSIBLE.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

PopeCrunch posted:

On the other hand, if you wait, you'll miss out on the moogle chocobo carnival, which gives you the GREATEST OUTFITS POSSIBLE.

yeah, I mean, you can always wait, but if it's a game you're pretty sure you'll like based on what you've read/seen, there's no real reason not to get it now. you could wait for a "game of the year" edition, but there's no guarantee there will be one, much less that it would be out in a couple months anyway. and at what point do you just never buy games because you're waiting for some compilation version to come out?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dimo ArKacho posted:

But is awesome worth $400?

The real question is can :10bux: buy happiness?

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

Real question then: does this play at all like Dragon's Dogma? It looks like a smoother, yet similar control system.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's not even close. I can't really think of any similarities, at least not control-wise. It's pretty fun but really shallow.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

Renoistic posted:

It's not even close. I can't really think of any similarities, at least not control-wise. It's pretty fun but really shallow.

I think it's more just the way it looks from videos. Then again, I don't think I've touched dogma since it came out, so what do I know.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The open world system is sort of similar I suppose. But there's no way to romance the weapon shop owner..

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Apparently making a claim on a forum about how the summons don't show up, makes them show up.

Ramuh just showed up in the sewer dungeon to help take out 1 last imp...

Also, talk about camera issues, that dungeon loving blows!

hagie fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 28, 2017

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Wait. It runs perfectly fine on a regular PS4 and if you're asking because you're thinking about getting a PS4 for the first time then, still, wait. Let them patch up the PS4 Pro's is and the games to run better. Also they're adding content to ffxv posthumously, so the longer you wait the better chance you have of getting that content at start. And you never know, they might release a PS4 pro super slim edition with more whatevers and whosits between now and then.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

Wait. It runs perfectly fine on a regular PS4 and if you're asking because you're thinking about getting a PS4 for the first time then, still, wait. Let them patch up the PS4 Pro's is and the games to run better. Also they're adding content to ffxv posthumously, so the longer you wait the better chance you have of getting that content at start. And you never know, they might release a PS4 pro super slim edition with more whatevers and whosits between now and then.

unless, of course, like the carnival they add a bunch of content that's time-locked in addition to whatever other permanent stuff they add.

I swear, some of you are so paranoid about people just buying a game they want to play. unless I've missed it, the game runs fine on a Pro, and I doubt they're going to going to come out with some new hardware revision less than a year after the Pro came out

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Not a PS Pro for either, unless you can get a good deal on trade ins to slash the costs a bunch.

They've gone conspicuously quiet on PS Pro enhancements for XV and NieR Automata is unquestionably better on Pro based on its demo, but it's not a hundred+ dollars better.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Happy LNY :kimchi:

http://mightier.tumblr.com/post/156488700743/year-of-rooster-happy-lunar-new-year-supposedly

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I'm so disappointed by the reel and rod from the festival. They were such a pain in the rear end to get and to have them be barely stronger than the beginner equipment is annoying and terrible. The fish I had to catch to get the right tag were pretty big and tough to reel in so while I don't know how it would be on lower levels and weaker equipment, I imagine it would be even worse. They really should have been the best ones you can get but not necessarily by a large amount.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cowman posted:

I'm so disappointed by the reel and rod from the festival. They were such a pain in the rear end to get and to have them be barely stronger than the beginner equipment is annoying and terrible. The fish I had to catch to get the right tag were pretty big and tough to reel in so while I don't know how it would be on lower levels and weaker equipment, I imagine it would be even worse. They really should have been the best ones you can get but not necessarily by a large amount.

I don't think they should have been the strongest necessarily, but it would have been cool if they had some passive effect like "line strength +10%" or something

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Nier is coming out on Steam but Let It Die is still a PS4 exclusive so it's worth buying a PS4 Pro for this and Let It Die and Bloodborne and Dragon Quest Builders and Hohokum and maybe Destiny if you're into that kind of thing, yes.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
As a new player, is there anything I can freely sell? Or should I hoard it all for they one time I might need it?

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Old weapons can be sold whenever, but it's a good idea to save any food, consumables, or treasures for creating magic. Especially if the items enable Tri/Quad/Quintcast, those are the best.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Managed to catch both the Devil of the Cygillian (got me the Tranquility rod) and then Liege of the Lake tonight! I have to say that the recipe you learn at the Carnival that grants -25% line damage is hugely helpful. I ended both battles with at least 25% of my line remaining. Now....I have no idea what I'll fish for :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

When does the festival end?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

When does the festival end?

February 19th

Is anything different about New Game + or is it just a chance to steamroll enemies for fun and minimal profit?

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Looks like it runs until Feb 19th

Barudak
May 7, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

Is anything different about New Game + or is it just a chance to steamroll enemies for fun and minimal profit?

You can also duplicate good items like ultima blade for fun and profit.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

You can also duplicate good items like ultima blade for fun and profit.

considering how much of a pain it usually is to get the best swords in these games sometimes, it was surprisingly easy to get the ultima blade.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Why would you want to duplicate Ultima Blade? It sells for 1 gil and only Noct can use them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Well, they did say like the Ultima Blade, rather than specifically it.

I guess the real best plan is a Zwill for every slot and also Ignis.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Well, they did say like the Ultima Blade, rather than specifically it.

I guess the real best plan is a Zwill for every slot and also Ignis.

:what:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Going camping while the adamantoise is up and about is kind of hilarious. You'd think they wouldn't be able to sleep through all the noise.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Renoistic posted:

Going camping while the adamantoise is up and about is kind of hilarious. You'd think they wouldn't be able to sleep through all the noise.

I like the screen shaking as Ignis lays down dinner

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I'm trying out the carnival, and so far I've found two "find X number of these objects" quests (with no search area on the map for either), and a "remember customers' orders and bring them the right things within a time limit" quest.

Did they put anything actually enjoyable in this carnival or should I just turn it off now?

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 29, 2017

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm trying out the carnival, and so far I've found two "find X number of these objects" quests (with no search area on the map for either), and a "remember customers' orders and bring them the right things within a time limit" quest.

Did they put anything actually enjoyable in this carnival or should I just turn it off now?

For the find moogle quest, you'll see that you've gotten 6 additional quests added to your list, and each one tells you where to be to find each moogle.

The carnival is mainly to run around and look at things and use the new camera feature. I spent about 90 minutes grabbing every unique item that carries back over to the main game and that was about it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Got my platinum and caught the Liege of the Lake. Now all that's left to do are the bonus dungeons. I'm NOT doing all the hunts, or gathering all the fish and recipees.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's weird how much effort they put into fishing - getting to level 10 is pretty much the beginning and the way the fishing progression goes you could spend days on it for no reason.

A friend of mine did every hunt, every dungeon, every quest but gave up on fishing like 40% of the way in.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's weird how much effort they put into fishing - getting to level 10 is pretty much the beginning and the way the fishing progression goes you could spend days on it for no reason.

A friend of mine did every hunt, every dungeon, every quest but gave up on fishing like 40% of the way in.

Japanese developers seem to love fishing for some reason. The Breath of Fire games come to mind. They had fishing mini games that were so in-depth and involved tey almost could be their own stand-alone games. Then again, the rewards were actually more worth the effort since you could trade the fish for items or use them as buffs/healing items in battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Suaimhneas posted:

There are also:

Chocobo racing
Logic puzzles
Shooting gallery
Trying to hit a cactuar while invincible wolves keep knocking you down
Taking pictures of designated targets with a sample photo for some clues to their location
Pinball for medals instead of the usual prizes
Fishing for tags (really not worth it, although you can build up a decent stock of lines without having to buy them)

You can also use your hereditary powers to warp space and time in order to catch balloons for crying children.

Otherwise just grab the costumes and recipes and cash in the medals you've found lying around for Cid-quest-items, rare coins, and the key item that lets you watch the fireworks, which gives you an item called the Dream Egg that might have some significance in the future.

• Locked thread