Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK
Cries and Whispers seemed more like a bad Bergman parody than a real Bergman movie. Didn't care for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Least favorite Criterions is kind of a fun conversation:

Alphaville does next to nothing for me, which was a big disappointment since I like the other Godards I've seen and it sounded right up my alley. A genuinely tedious movie.

Armageddon blows chunks

The Rules of the Game honestly doesn't land for me at all. That probably makes me a bad film fan.

Wings of Desire does nothing for me either. It turned me off of Wim Wenders for a while, though I have since seen and loved The American Friend and Alice in the Cities.

World on a Wire has very cool production design but bored the poo poo out of me.

I barely made it a half hour into Jellyfish Eyes

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh speaking of which, while I liked it more than Autumn Sonata and Persona I still wasn't super hot on Smiles of a Summer Night. Mostly because of the son, who I found completely insufferable. I also got The Magician from the sale so hopefully at least one of the Bergmans I blind bought is a keeper.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 30, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The only Bergman I haven't liked was The Magic Flute but I think that's just because I don't get opera

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not all of these are films I actually regret buying, but looking through my Criterion order history I've wound up selling or trading a whole bunch:

Children of Paradise
Autumn Sonata
Late Spring
The Vanishing
Umberto D.
La Jetée/Sans Soleil
Vivre sa vie
Band of Outsiders
Persona
Pickpocket
Walkabout
La dolce vita
L’avventura
Branded to Kill
Jules and Jim

That's the risk with blind buying I suppose. With the exception of Sans Soleil though all of them were films I'm glad I watched, just wish they had been rentals instead of buys I suppose.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

etherealshaq posted:

Cries and Whispers seemed more like a bad Bergman parody than a real Bergman movie. Didn't care for that one.

This is how I feel about Autumn Sonata

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

etherealshaq posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pGZbfNADNs

Nate RFB posted:

Not all of these are films I actually regret buying, but looking through my Criterion order history I've wound up selling or trading a whole bunch:

Children of Paradise
Autumn Sonata
Late Spring
The Vanishing
Umberto D.
La Jetée/Sans Soleil
Vivre sa vie
Band of Outsiders
Persona
Pickpocket
Walkabout
La dolce vita
L’avventura
Branded to Kill
Jules and Jim

That's the risk with blind buying I suppose. With the exception of Sans Soleil though all of them were films I'm glad I watched, just wish they had been rentals instead of buys I suppose.

Disagree with Late Spring and Vivre sa Vie, but I think we have similar tastes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Late Spring is one I do regret parting with in retrospect because I loved Tokyo Story and I think I would've warmed up to it plenty enough to want it as a complement to TS.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Children of Paradise
Autumn Sonata
Late Spring
The Vanishing
Umberto D.
La Jetée/Sans Soleil
Vivre sa vie
Band of Outsiders
Persona
Pickpocket
Walkabout
La dolce vita
L’avventura
Branded to Kill
Jules and Jim

what the gently caress

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Amusingly enough, Tokyo Story is the one I had to warm up to. The audio commentary helped a bunch. ty, criterion!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I hope Early Summer comes out on blu eventually, it's my favorite of the Noriko trilogy.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I turned off Weekend like ten minutes in but that might be because I was still stir crazy from the snowstorm that had taken out the power for the past few hours. The same thing happened with Made In USA(without the snowstorm obviously) so maybe Godard just doesn't click with me. Also didn't get much out of Dillinger Is Dead, but I made it all the way through that one.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

By the way, do any criterion disks have easter eggs? I remember something about the Solaris disk having a hidden photo gallery.

More than you think. On Blu-Rays, the blue button will pull up hidden videos on menus. Just press it on every menu until something appears.

The only ones I have that I've found so far are The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic, and Island of Lost Souls.

I've heard Videodrome and Repo Man have some too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

More than you think. On Blu-Rays, the blue button will pull up hidden videos on menus. Just press it on every menu until something appears.
Dammit, I'm going to be obsessively pressing that button now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Dammit, I'm going to be obsessively pressing that button now.

I have the Leawo player on my desktop that will display every chapter/title on a disc. I've been meaning to scour all my Criterions to see if there's anything hidden.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I Before E posted:

I turned off Weekend like ten minutes in but that might be because I was still stir crazy from the snowstorm that had taken out the power for the past few hours. The same thing happened with Made In USA(without the snowstorm obviously) so maybe Godard just doesn't click with me. Also didn't get much out of Dillinger Is Dead, but I made it all the way through that one.

Nah, Weekend kind of sucks. The previously mentioned Alphaville is pretty good though, even if the Dr. Claw robot mastermind philosophy lectures tend to drag a bit

Edit: actually, I mixed up Weekend and Contempt so I withdraw my "kind of sucks"

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

blue squares posted:

what the gently caress

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Rules of the Game honestly doesn't land for me at all. That probably makes me a bad film fan.

Fight me

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I couldn't get into Charade, Blow Out, Broadcast News, or Overlord. Ended up selling all three.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This is the worst goddamn page

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Weekend owns, everyone is such a fucker in it its so funny

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

blue squares posted:

This is the worst goddamn page

Which ones do you hate? C'mon, you can tell us.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

Weekend owns, everyone is such a fucker in it its so funny

The Godard one? Yeah I really liked it. I have very little desire to delve further into Godard's filmography though.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Godard one? Yeah I really liked it. I have very little desire to delve further into Godard's filmography though.

I assume you have seen Breathless. If not, read up on its importance and then watch it ASAP

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

blue squares posted:

I assume you have seen Breathless. If not, read up on its importance and then watch it ASAP

Yeah I've seen Breathless, Weekend, and Alphaville. Loved the first two, really didn't like the third

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Godard is interesting because Breathless was so groundbreaking and good, and a lot of his other films are very good too, but he makes so many goddamn movies that there are quite a few flops. Most really important directors have fewer films and a higher ratio of good to bad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah I respect his dedication to crankin em out but most of his stuff does not sound at all for me

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Breathless I definitely loved, that was magical. Band of Outsiders and especially Vivre sa vie weren't really my sort of thing but I still liked them well enough.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I love weekend so much. It is so energetic, funny,and mean. I feel like it's a movie that a ton of modern directors were influenced by even though no one really talks about it. The way it's edited and directed is so ahead of its time. I also love movies that just give you full dissertations on Marxism throughout the film. It felt like a modern version of L'age d'or.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Seven Samurai is unwatchable. 4 hours long, black and white, full screen and subtitled. Just kill me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Seven Samurai is unwatchable. 4 hours long, black and white, full screen and subtitled. Just kill me.

Assuming it's not sarcasm, this is one of those ones where I'm like "how does a guy like you come to post in a thread about art- house DVDs on a film message board?"

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i think that was a bit of sarcasm here, in the Janus/Voyager "The Criterion Collection" thread

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Breathless is great. Alphaville has some goofy elements but is good overall. That is all the Godard I have seen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alright. Amended some mistakes, picked up a couple more today. My final haul for July 2016 is

Anatomy of a Murder
Dr. Strangelove
My Darling Clementine
Paths of Glory
Riot on Cell Block 11

Thanks for the GSC suggestion, bobkatt013.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Picked up my last bunch:

Dr. Strangelove
The Big City
The Manchurian Candidate
Speedy
Odd Man Out

All blind buys except Strangelove.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Got around to watching Fantastic Planet and man that movie is such a trip. The new transfer looks amazing on blu-ray--it's like watching moving paintings. Highly recommend some sort of mind altering substance while watching too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

mod sassinator posted:

Got around to watching Fantastic Planet and man that movie is such a trip. The new transfer looks amazing on blu-ray--it's like watching moving paintings. Highly recommend some sort of mind altering substance while watching too.

This is the plan.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I've bought 11 so far in the sale, I think. I might go for one more. Considering Sweet Smell of Success, Ace In the Hole, or 400 Blows. All would be blind buys except 400 Blows.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ace in the Hole was one of my favorite blind buys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Any opinions on Master of the House?

I love Dreyer's Joan of Arc and Vampyr. It's the only silent Blu of theirs I don't own yet.