Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Well it sounds like I should visit the microcenter near work and see if they have any mechanical keyboards I can poke and see what I like for switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

The reason they are marketed at gaming is hey are cheaper, have higher more predictable yields and, are just overall more friendly for mass production.

neither of those should really affect the opinion of nerds who constantly argue that linears are better for gaming though.. something something same actuation and release points better for double tapping something something hovering keys

fwiw i'm global in csgo and i preferred browns to blacks and reds, before selling all them and getting a topre 55g

use whatever for whatever youre doing man, just gotta be something you like

in summary, use topre, because topre is the best

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

neither of those should really affect the opinion of nerds who constantly argue that linears are better for gaming though.. something something same actuation and release points better for double tapping something something hovering keys

fwiw i'm global in csgo and i preferred browns to blacks and reds, before selling all them and getting a topre 55g

use whatever for whatever youre doing man, just gotta be something you like

in summary, use topre, because topre is the best

Its not that they effect the opinion of nerds, its that the manufacturers see those as factors and make up the marketing to tell people the reds/blacks are better to drive better production costs and yeilds.

Ever wonder why Corsair got rid of MX blues very hush hush then doubled down on the red bandwagon by releasing some MX red only boards (K65) and their new fancy red switch?

I am super intrigued by Topre but every review is either "Best keyboard I have ever used" or "Worst keyboard on the planet". What do they feel like?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

Its not that they effect the opinion of nerds, its that the manufacturers see those as factors and make up the marketing to tell people the reds/blacks are better to drive better production costs and yeilds.

Ever wonder why Corsair got rid of MX blues very hush hush then doubled down on the red bandwagon by releasing some MX red only boards (K65) and their new fancy red switch?

I started off wondering if you were implying there was a conspiracy put forth by 'Big Keyboard', but that snowballed a bit from 'conspiracy' and I'm now picturing Deus Ex, but with keyboards. Old models all clacking around liberty island hella loud and beige, new ones all color-changing and replacing parts of their augs with Starfleet themed plating.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

surc posted:

I started off wondering if you were implying there was a conspiracy put forth by 'Big Keyboard', but that snowballed a bit from 'conspiracy' and I'm now picturing Deus Ex, but with keyboards. Old models all clacking around liberty island hella loud and beige, new ones all color-changing and replacing parts of their augs with Starfleet themed plating.

It is a conspiracy!
:tinfoil:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ColHannibal posted:

I think this is complete bullshit. The two-part switches (blues, greens) might be more expensive to assemble than the others, but between red black brown and clear the only major difference is the shape of the plastic and the strength of the spring. A plastic slider with a notch isn't harder to make than a smooth one.

And once everyone moved to switches with LEDs built in, any purported advantage in "yield" among switch types is going to be so completely overwhelmed by the fail rate of LEDs that it's not even worth talking about.

The whole red/black for gaming was established back well before any of the gamer & mass market companies were making mechanical keyboards. People were still paying out the nose for a Das or imported filcos, scrounging cherry G80s, and getting stuff re-purposed from professional non-consumer channels. There was zero marketing for that stuff, it was almost all word of mouth. I've heard that at the time browns weren't nearly as common, so it was a clearer distinction between blues and red/black for the typers and gamers.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

My G110 is dying after like 6 years of service or something so I need something new. Even though I use my computer to game most of the time, I use a g13 for most inputs while playing and leave the keyboard just to chat in game. Or post in forums. Or write papers. So mostly to write words.

I would rather spend less than $100 bucks for it but I can spring higher ($150) if it has all the features I want. It has to be illuminated, I'm some distance from my monitor and my room is always completely dark. I really want it to be mechanical, dont mind a little noise but dont want it to be overbearing. Having a USB hub is a nice plus since I use a g602 and having the nub close to me is helpful when I need to unplug it to take the mouse with me/put it back in to the desktop. Programmable keys are also a plus, but less necessary than the rest. Any recommendations?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ColHannibal posted:

I am super intrigued by Topre but every review is either "Best keyboard I have ever used" or "Worst keyboard on the planet". What do they feel like?

I was initially underwhelmed with topre, but now I prefer them to most keyboards. They feel like really solid rubber domes, because that's what they are; the soft pop is kind of like a brand new rubber keyboard, but they also have a gentle clack to them due to the mechanism above the domes, and never lose that neat feeling because of the springs and rubber quality.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

My G110 is dying after like 6 years of service or something so I need something new. Even though I use my computer to game most of the time, I use a g13 for most inputs while playing and leave the keyboard just to chat in game. Or post in forums. Or write papers. So mostly to write words.

I would rather spend less than $100 bucks for it but I can spring higher ($150) if it has all the features I want. It has to be illuminated, I'm some distance from my monitor and my room is always completely dark. I really want it to be mechanical, dont mind a little noise but dont want it to be overbearing. Having a USB hub is a nice plus since I use a g602 and having the nub close to me is helpful when I need to unplug it to take the mouse with me/put it back in to the desktop. Programmable keys are also a plus, but less necessary than the rest. Any recommendations?

Just illuminated or RGB?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

Just illuminated or RGB?

Just illuminated is fine, techno rainbow keyboards are fun but I'll take function over form any day of the week. Specially if it adds like 50 bucks to the price tag.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Just illuminated is fine, techno rainbow keyboards are fun but I'll take function over form any day of the week. Specially if it adds like 50 bucks to the price tag.

Also, what kinda switch?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Maybe this? A Rosewill Backlight Mechanical keyboard with brown switches and usb hub stuff. Programmable stuff, 100 bucks, etc. Has red backlights, this one has blue. There's some others with various switches and backlights mostly around the same price.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

Also, what kinda switch?

Browns seem to be my best bet.

Brightman posted:

Maybe this? A Rosewill Backlight Mechanical keyboard with brown switches and usb hub stuff. Programmable stuff, 100 bucks, etc. Has red backlights, this one has blue. There's some others with various switches and backlights mostly around the same price.

This seems to fit the bill rather nicely. Always thought Rosewill was a pretty middle of the road manufacturer, they make good keyboards?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Browns seem to be my best bet.

This seems to fit the bill rather nicely. Always thought Rosewill was a pretty middle of the road manufacturer, they make good keyboards?

They're the Newegg house brand, someone recommended them in the page earlier as a nice entry point into mechanical keyboards due to their price. You could spend more and get a Corsair but I don't think there's enough of a difference for it to matter. Someone else more experienced with the boards in person would have to say something, I just have some regular WASD boards, no programmable keys, usb, or headphone ports here. Looking at the reviews though the Rosewill boards seem decent, yeah. Searching the thread for "rosewill" turns up positive results too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Always thought Rosewill was a pretty middle of the road manufacturer, they make good keyboards?

Rosewill is just a name that newegg sticks onto OEM stuff they have manufactured directly for their distribution. Some of is is very average, some is very good (rosewill PSUs are actually extremely good for both power quality and value).

The non-backlit Rosewill 9000 is costar made and pretty good, aside from early issues with the USB plug. Mine's been totally solid. I can't vouch for the 9100 / "Apollo" ones though, because they're a completely different OEM. However those exact keyboards are sold by a number of different outlets with a different name stenciled on, and don't seem to have horror stories anywhere.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
There's an SA Profile keyset on Massdrop again: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/troubled-minds-sa-keycap-set?&mode=guest_open

Ya know, if you're crazy about The Joker:

Or EVA Unit-01:

:v:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i had a meme computer, a meme monitor, and a meme mouse, but no meme keyboard to complete the set. finally the day has arrived.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I don't think Joker is really a meme. It's more of a color scheme

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Brightman posted:

They're the Newegg house brand, someone recommended them in the page earlier as a nice entry point into mechanical keyboards due to their price. You could spend more and get a Corsair but I don't think there's enough of a difference for it to matter. Someone else more experienced with the boards in person would have to say something, I just have some regular WASD boards, no programmable keys, usb, or headphone ports here. Looking at the reviews though the Rosewill boards seem decent, yeah. Searching the thread for "rosewill" turns up positive results too.

Just arrived and its everything I wanted in a keyboard so thanks for that. Now I have another problem, I feel the actuation of the rosewill way better than my g13 but the g13 is still better for ergonomics and things like profile switching for individual games. So I dont know which one to use for games anymore. :v:

If only logitech made an updated g13 with brown switches. Only razer does these pads in mechanical and razer quality sucks.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Brightman posted:

There's an SA Profile keyset on Massdrop again: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/troubled-minds-sa-keycap-set?&mode=guest_open

Ya know, if you're crazy about The Joker:

Or EVA Unit-01:

:v:
Suffragette set! Full profile, too, not just R3 like most SA sets.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa man, those keycaps are sweet but not the color or the extra characters. Is there a set that is plain black and white similar to old school terminal boards?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

Whoa man, those keycaps are sweet but not the color or the extra characters. Is there a set that is plain black and white similar to old school terminal boards?
The colour is kind of the point here, but if you want black keys in the same style, I have no idea if these are still in stock since most custom keycap sets are done as made-to-order runs, but maybe this is the sort of thing you're after. Note for instance that the black modifier set is priced at $redonkulous. (Getting them in blue is more reasonable but not much more so.)
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-modern-selectric-keyset/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Deadly Hume posted:

The colour is kind of the point here, but if you want black keys in the same style, I have no idea if these are still in stock since most custom keycap sets are done as made-to-order runs, but maybe this is the sort of thing you're after. Note for instance that the black modifier set is priced at $redonkulous. (Getting them in blue is more reasonable but not much more so.)
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-modern-selectric-keyset/

Thanks for that information. That is pretty much exactly what I wanted and yeah for that price its :(

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Also there might be other sets that are more reasonably priced, that was just the one I found first at the Signature Plastics website since they make a lot of the custom sets.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Suffragette set! Full profile, too, not just R3 like most SA sets.

I know!

redeyes posted:

Totally, although the Joker and EVA specific keys are add-ons you could skip, the color scheme still isn't something I'd want on my keyboard unfortunately.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

It's so pointless.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Same but in reverse.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ColHannibal posted:

It's so pointless.

I think it might actually be really great. Soldering in a bunch of pin connectors instead of full switches could probably be done with faster and cheaper reflow ovens.

That would be an excellent way to produce small-batch keyboards like the ergodox. Contract out to get the PCB made and all the connectors soldered in at the same time as the controller chip, ship the customer a near-complete PCB board and bag of keys to assemble themselves.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

HIGH QUALITY AND SAFE YOU COULD USE TI SAFELY AND EASILY

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Finally I can get a rainbow assortment of cherry switches to match my tacky rainbow keyboard!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Interest check started on Massdrop for Das keyboards with Clears (possibly including the TKL version which they normally use cheaper switches in) - they have to get 800 orders before they'll do it, so it's a pretty steep target to meet considering how niche it is, but that seems like a really nice combination.
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/Das-Keyboard-with-Cherry-MX-Clear-Switches

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard, to use for typing papers/gaming. I've had a Das Keyboard (I think something like the Professional edition?) with blues that I really like for 3 or 4 years, but the constant clacking noise means I can't use it with other people around which is a problem at the moment because my desk at home is right next to my girlfriend's. I'd like to get another mechanical keyboard that's much quieter (or if quiet mechanical keyboards aren't really a thing, a keyboard that's durable and has a nice tactile feel). I looked at the OP, but that seemed pretty out of date.

I looked at the Das Keyboard with browns, but from the audio clip they have on their site that still sounds pretty loud.

Ideally I'd also like to spend under $135 (assuming that it would last for a good number of years), but recommendations a bit above are fine, I can shop around for sales/refurb etc.

So far I've been looking at:

1) Corsair Strafe RGB Silent -- this apparently has a special type of Cherry switch that's extremely quiet, which is what's most appealing. I like the wrist rest (or think I would), but don't really care about the fancy backlighting and macro keys and whatnot. That said, it's expensive, but if the "Cherry SIlent" is actually significantly quieter than other switches I'd be willing to get it. http://www.corsair.com/en/landing/strafergb

2) Matias Quiet Pro -- I guess this one is quite quiet? I'd heard that the brand is good, but I don't have any experience with it, and it's hard to find them in person to try. It's also expensive, which apparently is a theme. http://matias.ca/quietpro/pc/

And that's actually it, I've had a lot of trouble finding good options -- I read that you can put O-rings on reds, but I'm not sure what that would end up sounding like.

Thoughts/recommendations?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

foutre posted:

I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard, to use for typing papers/gaming. I've had a Das Keyboard (I think something like the Professional edition?) with blues that I really like for 3 or 4 years,

If you really like the feel of the blues, the matias quiet pro will feel a lot closer to that than the Corsair, since their MX Silent is a linear switch.

The other option might be something with cherry clears + o-rings, ala a WASD or WASD Code if you like backlights. WASD are also expensive, but the only cheap options for clears are either mini 60-key boards or to wait for something on massdrop.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

foutre posted:

2) Matias Quiet Pro -- I guess this one is quite quiet? I'd heard that the brand is good, but I don't have any experience with it, and it's hard to find them in person to try. It's also expensive, which apparently is a theme. http://matias.ca/quietpro/pc/

I just got this KBParadise V80 with Matias Quiet Click switches to use at work. It's noticeably quieter than my Corsair K70 with cherry browns and doesn't have that bottoming out clack. Has a more "mechanical" feel to it than any cherry switches too IMO. It's pretty nice, I'm liking it a lot so far.. however cherry clear switches are also pretty comparable to the quietness of the Matias quiet clicks after comparing on my switch tester, maybe even a bit quieter, yet clears require a bit more force to press the key.

Varg fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 15, 2015

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

foutre posted:

I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard, to use for typing papers/gaming. I've had a Das Keyboard (I think something like the Professional edition?) with blues that I really like for 3 or 4 years, but the constant clacking noise means I can't use it with other people around which is a problem at the moment because my desk at home is right next to my girlfriend's. I'd like to get another mechanical keyboard that's much quieter (or if quiet mechanical keyboards aren't really a thing, a keyboard that's durable and has a nice tactile feel). I looked at the OP, but that seemed pretty out of date.

I looked at the Das Keyboard with browns, but from the audio clip they have on their site that still sounds pretty loud.

Ideally I'd also like to spend under $135 (assuming that it would last for a good number of years), but recommendations a bit above are fine, I can shop around for sales/refurb etc.

So far I've been looking at:

1) Corsair Strafe RGB Silent -- this apparently has a special type of Cherry switch that's extremely quiet, which is what's most appealing. I like the wrist rest (or think I would), but don't really care about the fancy backlighting and macro keys and whatnot. That said, it's expensive, but if the "Cherry SIlent" is actually significantly quieter than other switches I'd be willing to get it. http://www.corsair.com/en/landing/strafergb

And that's actually it, I've had a lot of trouble finding good options -- I read that you can put O-rings on reds, but I'm not sure what that would end up sounding like.

Thoughts/recommendations?

You want a tactile switch not a linear one, you will hate linear switches if you like blue.

Here is my recommendation;

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-104-key-mechanical-keyboard.html

Code with clear switches, it will feel ALOT like a blue plus they are just great boards.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ColHannibal posted:

You want a tactile switch not a linear one, you will hate linear switches if you like blue.

Here is my recommendation;

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-104-key-mechanical-keyboard.html

Code with clear switches, it will feel ALOT like a blue plus they are just great boards.

That looks really nice. Spendy though.. but it does have the numberpad and arrow keys. I have to have those.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

redeyes posted:

That looks really nice. Spendy though.. but it does have the numberpad and arrow keys. I have to have those.

It's currently on massdrop, so you could stand to save roughly $15 on it.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Thanks for the advice -- I really had no idea what the deal was with linear/tactile etc., that was really good to know. I think I'm going to go with the CODE. I know I like blues, and would be perfectly happy having all my keyboards feel similar so that's great. Also, given I could actually bring this one into work, the fact that it looks simple/clean is pretty appealing (there was a brief period where I brought in my old gaming mouse when my office one died, and my boss told me I looked like a nerd... not ideal, and to be fair he wasn't wrong).

I'm excited to try it out, y'all were so much more helpful than googling around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Hey guys,

I am looking for a customizable keypad. No bigger than num keypad size but as thin as possible and bluetooth preferred. Does something like that exist?

Basically something like this but much smaller and thinner if possible because it has to fit in a slim laptop bag.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-ca/product/g13-advanced-gameboard

• Locked thread