Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WhyteRyce posted:

I was talking about that Tales of the Bounty Hunters short story

Oh, I see. Sorry about that.

I quite like that chart. Regarding The Bounty Hunter Wars, I never quite worked out what was going on in that series. Prince Xizor went to the Emperor and got his support for a plan to hire Fett to break up the Bounty Hunters' Guild because... well, just because, from what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Shame about McQuarrie's passing. That guy certainly had arguably more talent than Jorge.

Speaking of his art, did anyone ever have or read that Illustrated Star Wars Universe? I bought it from a goon a few years ago. Kevin J. Anderson, despite all of his lovely writing, did the narrative parts for that book with McQuarrie's art. It was surprisingly really cool and added some subtle depth to the SW universe. This was of course, before the prequels.

I've also been reading through some of the Star Wars Comic's, notably legacy and the Rogue Squadron comics. They're actually not that bad. I've been buying up some of the omnibus collections as a result. Any one else reading through these?

Was also able to nab this from my comic shop for 40 bucks on clearance, http://www.amazon.com/Luke-Skywalker-Last-Hope-Galaxy/dp/1595821511/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330988951&sr=1-1/

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 6, 2012

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Boondock Saint posted:

Speaking of his art, did anyone ever have or read that Illustrated Star Wars Universe? I bought it from a goon a few years ago. Kevin J. Anderson, despite all of his lovely writing, did the narrative parts for that book with McQuarrie's art. It was surprisingly really cool and added some subtle depth to the SW universe. This was of course, before the prequels.

One thing that I find quite interesting about Anderson is that, the quality of his writing (or lack thereof) notwithstanding, he more or less was the top man as far as the EU was concerned for a short time in the 1990s, immediately before the prequel trilogy was released.

Zahn, Stackpole and a few of the others were significantly better writers, but they were nowhere near as proligic. Anderson wrote The Jedi Academy Trilogy, Darksaber, Young Jedi Knights, Tales Of the Jedi and Dark Empire, co-wrote The Essential Chronology and edited the first three Tales Of books.

(I'm aware that I may giving him too much credit).

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Metal Loaf posted:

Oh, I see. Sorry about that.

I quite like that chart. Regarding The Bounty Hunter Wars, I never quite worked out what was going on in that series. Prince Xizor went to the Emperor and got his support for a plan to hire Fett to break up the Bounty Hunters' Guild because... well, just because, from what I remember.

Something to do with some pseudo-Darwinian crap that if you have all the bounty hunters fight each other the only ones to survive will be the meanest toughest and best bounty hunters around. (and Bossk)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I see. Something like, "Let's kill off all the weak bounty hunters so we can only hire the strongest ones." That sounds kind of stupid (though it's still not as stupid as the "revenge of the one-armed wampa" scene in Darksaber; very little of the EU has ever been able to match that for ridiculousness).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ferrosol posted:

(and Bossk)
Amazingly, Bossk survives and flourishes in later novels as water mark of lameness.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

SeanBeansShako posted:

Amazingly, Bossk survives and flourishes in later novels as water mark of lameness.

Hey man, Bossk may be utterly incompetent in all respects but he tries with all of his cold reptilian heart!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

One thing that I find quite interesting about Anderson is that, the quality of his writing (or lack thereof) notwithstanding, he more or less was the top man as far as the EU was concerned for a short time in the 1990s, immediately before the prequel trilogy was released.

Zahn, Stackpole and a few of the others were significantly better writers, but they were nowhere near as proligic. Anderson wrote The Jedi Academy Trilogy, Darksaber, Young Jedi Knights, Tales Of the Jedi and Dark Empire, co-wrote The Essential Chronology and edited the first three Tales Of books.

(I'm aware that I may giving him too much credit).

You are.

-The JA trilogy was okay but had way too many :wtf: moments with stupid superweapons and force ghosts.
-Darksaber is widely regarded as one of the worst EU novels/ideas next to The Crystal Star.
-Tales of the Jedi was okay and had some interesting Old Republic stuff that lives on in KOTOR and TOR.
-Dark Empire was hilariously bad for a variety of reasons.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Anderson didn't do Dark Empire, and he also wasn't the original author of Tales of the Jedi. The first two volumes he wasn't involved in at all, the third he co-wrote, the fourth he wrote on his own but incorporating notes from the original author's plan.

The only Tales of the Jedi comics he did entirely on his own were Redemption (which is admittedly the best one and one of my favorite EU stories ever) and the two prequels set a thousand years earlier (which are both terrible).

It's notable to say that the original author's plan for ending Tales of the Jedi was very different - it was going to span over a much longer period of time, end with Ulic dying as an unredeemed Sith, and Exar Kun wasn't going to be involved at all.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The 1st Dark Empire, funky art and colouring aside was okay. The ones after holy goddamn.

We got to see what young Palpatine looked like and apparently he looked like space David Bowie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

Anderson didn't do Dark Empire, and he also wasn't the original author of Tales of the Jedi. The first two volumes he wasn't involved in at all, the third he co-wrote, the fourth he wrote on his own but incorporating notes from the original author's plan.

The only Tales of the Jedi comics he did entirely on his own were Redemption (which is admittedly the best one and one of my favorite EU stories ever) and the two prequels set a thousand years earlier (which are both terrible).

So he didn't. I see that Dark Empire was written by Tom Veitch (who I think was Anderson's co-writer on some of the Tales Of the Jedi comics). Sorry, I've obviously confused the two, because I think they're both credited on a few of the TOTJ collected editions.

Thwomp posted:

You are.

-The JA trilogy was okay but had way too many :wtf: moments with stupid superweapons and force ghosts.
-Darksaber is widely regarded as one of the worst EU novels/ideas next to The Crystal Star.
-Tales of the Jedi was okay and had some interesting Old Republic stuff that lives on in KOTOR and TOR.
-Dark Empire was hilariously bad for a variety of reasons.

Well, I never said that any of them were any good.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SeanBeansShako posted:

The 1st Dark Empire, funky art and colouring aside was okay. The ones after holy goddamn.

We got to see what young Palpatine looked like and apparently he looked like space David Bowie.

So that's what happened to Major Tom.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Thwomp posted:

What annoys me about the JAT is that it covers one of the most important plot points of the After Endor era: Luke starting a new Jedi order. From that, we got Daala, the Sun Crusher, Kyp's Get-out-of-jail-free deal, the Solo kids raised on a space bunker... Even with Stackpole's fix, this crucial event was kinda fumbled, IMHO.

Thwomp posted:

Funnily enough, I've always kinda wondered if Darksaber wasn't an intentional joke about superweapon overuse. I mean, the titular plot device is overtly described as a disaster-in-waiting by the characters themselves. Or I could be overthinking this and KJA was just being KJA.

The Daala storyline is still spacedreck and Madine's death is still an infuriating waste that should have been edited out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Funnily enough, I've always kinda wondered if Darksaber wasn't an intentional joke about superweapon overuse. I mean, the titular plot device is overtly described as a disaster-in-waiting by the characters themselves. Or I could be overthinking this and KJA was just being KJA.

The Daala storyline is still spacedreck and Madine's death is still an infuriating waste that should have been edited out.

Don't forget the bizarre ending of the Hoth sequence. Wampa hunters trapped by a pack of their intended prey? Fine. The wampa horde being lead by the one Luke dismembered in Episode V? Why?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Metal Loaf posted:

Don't forget the bizarre ending of the Hoth sequence. Wampa hunters trapped by a pack of their intended prey? Fine. The wampa horde being lead by the one Luke dismembered in Episode V? Why?

Because everything is related. I wouldn't be surprised if the Storm Troopers that Ben Kenobi force waved away in A New Hope were retconned to be stuck on Tatooine because they let the Death Star plans get smuggled out or something.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

computer parts posted:

Because everything is related. I wouldn't be surprised if the Storm Troopers that Ben Kenobi force waved away in A New Hope were retconned to be stuck on Tatooine because they let the Death Star plans get smuggled out or something.

Didn't one of them end up killing his commanding officer and joining the rebellion?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Phylodox posted:

Didn't one of them end up killing his commanding officer and joining the rebellion?

Actually, when R2D2 and C3PO emerged from hiding, R2D2 dropped the Death Star plan disk. One of the troopers noticed, and being a secret Rebel sympathizer he rushed up and gave the disk back to R2, thereby keeping the plans moving and putting yet another person in possession of the Death Star plans.

http://starwars.wikia.com/TK487_Gath_Donovan

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phylodox posted:

That was this guy, but yeah, same general concept.

I also found out while looking for that page that every single storm trooper that rode the air bikes in ROTJ has a name and backstory. :suicide:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure it was the, "Look, sir, droids!" guy who did that. It was in Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the, "Look, sir, droids!" guy who did that. It was in Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Funny how despite being elite space marine troops of the Empire, they can't hit a drat thing and switch sides at the drop of a helmet.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

computer parts posted:

I honestly think that if you take most EU book/comic by themselves, while bad, are not horrible. Sure, some are complete abominations, but I don't think most EU stuff (though I have only read a few, and very old ones) were that bad.

But it's when I put it in context, when I put it within that overarching story, everything becomes part of a cacophonous symphony that can only be described as atrocious. What was supposed to be a fun, classic family story becomes a gigantic universe taken very seriously by people, and things that happened spontaneously in the movies become staples of said universe, every single background individual becomes a legendary hero and, of course, history repeats again and again and again.

It's bizarre.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Chewie is Sasquatch and the Yuuzhan Vong invaded in 1829.

Some sperg lord made a timeline paralleling the Star Wars Universe with real life based on some non-canon story where Han and Chewie jump into hyperspace and crash land on Earth.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine that story happened solely so it could end with the scene of Indiana Jones discovering Han Solo's remains a hundred years later.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

computer parts posted:

So that's what happened to Major Tom.

This would be the nerdiest combination of things ever. I would love to see it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LLJKSiLk posted:

Actually, when R2D2 and C3PO emerged from hiding, R2D2 dropped the Death Star plan disk. One of the troopers noticed, and being a secret Rebel sympathizer he rushed up and gave the disk back to R2, thereby keeping the plans moving and putting yet another person in possession of the Death Star plans.

http://starwars.wikia.com/TK487_Gath_Donovan

You son of a bitch.

Every time. Every goddamn time.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

thrawn527 posted:

You son of a bitch.

He got me too. :(

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

thrawn527 posted:

You son of a bitch.

It says a lot about the EU that I can combine a simple fact with a paragraph of ridiculous bullshit and people can't tell whether I'm making poo poo up.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

After Manny Both-Hanz I don't think there is any wookiepedia fake-out I will not fall for.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Really, REALLY weird news, Topher Grace (yes THAT Topher Grace) has edited together the PT into one 85 minute movie.

quote:

His idea was to edit the Star Wars prequels into one movie, as they would provide him a lot of footage to work with. He used footage from all three prequels, a couple cuts from the original trilogy, some music from The Clone Wars television series, and even a dialogue bit from Anthony Daniels’ (C-3PO) audio book recordings. He even created a new opening text crawl to set up his version of the story.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Really, REALLY weird news, Topher Grace (yes THAT Topher Grace) has edited together the PT into one 85 minute movie.

I really, really wish I could see this. I love the idea of it ending with Vader's mask lowering. That's really how Episode III should have ended.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Let's all do a lizard dance around the courtyard to celebrate.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Where are the books with the most Force power bad assery? I've read Dark Saber, Rogue Planet, Shadows of the Empire, That Darth Maul book, some of the The Thrawn/and Darth Bane trilogy. I'm considering the X-wing series next but what would be really cool is a book about a dude about someone with force powers who isn't a Jedi or Sith.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I'm considering the X-wing series next but what would be really cool is a book about a dude about someone with force powers who isn't a Jedi or Sith.

They don't have much "force power bad assery",but aside from that it's awesome. Start with Wraith Squadron by Aaron Allston. The only book that I can think of that has non Jedi/Sith Force users is Courtship of Princess Leia, which has the Force Witches of Dathomir.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

ecureuilmatrix posted:

What annoys me about the JAT is that it covers one of the most important plot points of the After Endor era: Luke starting a new Jedi order. From that, we got Daala, the Sun Crusher, Kyp's Get-out-of-jail-free deal, the Solo kids raised on a space bunker... Even with Stackpole's fix, this crucial event was kinda fumbled, IMHO.
What bothers me more is that it set the standard for using (or rather: abusing) the Force as the ultimate plot device.

Also, gently caress KJA's portrayal of Garm Bel Iblis.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

Also, gently caress KJA's portrayal of Garm Bel Iblis.

Seriously.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sombrerotron posted:

What bothers me more is that it set the standard for using (or rather: abusing) the Force as the ultimate plot device.

I think that's one of the issues Zahn tried to address when he wrote the Hand Of Thrawn books; apparently, Luke was unconsciously using the dark side whenever that happened.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

I think that's one of the issues Zahn tried to address when he wrote the Hand Of Thrawn books; apparently, Luke was unconsciously using the dark side whenever that happened.

It's been awhile since I've read it, but He (Mara) said that because Luke was too drat busy jumping around all willy-nilly, he wasn't able to actually hear/follow what the Force was telling him. All his action was creating a bunch of noise that made it difficult to understand what the Force was telling him.

It's actually a really good explanation and ties in nicely with why the Jedi were extremely reluctant to jump into the Mandalorian Wars.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Isn't it like canonically stated, if not directly, that Luke is basically at best a Dark Jedi with a nice attitude and that by killing people while working for Palps, etc. he is only different from the Sith in degree, not kind?

Of course then I've also heard Kyle Katarn shoots a AT-AT with Force Lightning, and when Luke shits a brick over it, Kyle's like "what? it stopped it, you want I should slowly hack it to pieces?"

In short, is there any definitive answer to what the Dark Side actually boils down to? Or do you just have to look for yellow-eye and go 'oh yeah, guess that was the dark side.'

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The force was in your heart all along, Bossk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Nessus posted:

Isn't it like canonically stated, if not directly, that Luke is basically at best a Dark Jedi with a nice attitude and that by killing people while working for Palps, etc. he is only different from the Sith in degree, not kind?

Of course then I've also heard Kyle Katarn shoots a AT-AT with Force Lightning, and when Luke shits a brick over it, Kyle's like "what? it stopped it, you want I should slowly hack it to pieces?"

In short, is there any definitive answer to what the Dark Side actually boils down to? Or do you just have to look for yellow-eye and go 'oh yeah, guess that was the dark side.'

Right now (as of the latest Lucas sperging) it's pretty much circular logic. If someone's a badguy, they can only use the Dark Side. And we know that it's the Dark Side because a badguy is using it.

EDIT: For example, there's a Force ability that lets the weilder STOP SOMEONE'S HEART, but only Light Side users can use it. Therefore, this ability is clearly "Good"

EDIT2: Sometimes I feel that the EU is one step away from embracing Terry Goodkind levels of absurdity, where the heroes go out and massacre Evil Pacifists armed "only with their hatred of Moral Certainty"

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 9, 2012