Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's getting spicy in Ned Flanders Romantic Adventure Comic 2018...

https://mangadex.org/chapter/196293/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sharkopath posted:

It's getting spicy in Ned Flanders Romantic Adventure Comic 2018...

https://mangadex.org/chapter/196293/1

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

DisDisDis posted:

To be fair I imagine I'd feel pretty betrayed if I was reading up to this point and it's a total blindside moment but with this as the only chapter of Spotted Flower I've read I'm pretty interested to see where it goes

spotted flower is strange. if it had used the initial divergence from the mangaka's main series, genshiken, to springboard into a cool married-life thing, that'd probably be best. for some reason instead of branching off it keeps this strange parallel with genshiken. it's actually cool as an old fan to see how the characters might grow up but the author is way too fixated on the continued, multi-series harem life of the main character.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i haven't read genshiken so i'm immune to being wronged

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Coaaab posted:

Didn't seem like much of a stretch

How loving dare you

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I honestly had no idea that it was a Genshiken "sequel", like, at all. Wow.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

DisDisDis posted:

i haven't read genshiken so i'm immune to being wronged

for the record i think this chapter would've owned hard if it was in genshiken, and not spotted flower

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
madarame's love life killed genshiken and now it has also killed spotted flower, a manga that is explicitly about madarame's love life.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I heard there was some gendery stuff with a character in genshiken so i looked it up but then i completely forgot about it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

Shonen romance protags are the most boring borings to ever bore a bore also, a lot of the shoujo and especially the josei romance I've read gives a huge amount of attention and space to the personality and inner thoughts of their heros and that's super important to me.

I like good wholesome people and that's the archetype the shonen protag usually is but you gotta g9ve me some turmoil or just conflicting emotions or character. And real rear end conflicting emotions not just which of these girls that loves me unconditionally do I date type stuff.

While I'd overall put shoujo protagonists considerably above shounen protags, they're still usually pretty dang bad. The shoujo equivalent to the shounen "girl love interest is randomly attracted to protagonist or attracted to him because of some contrived scenario" seems to be something along the lines of "male love interest is attracted to the protagonist because she did something bold that showed him she is Not Like All The Other Girls and intrigued him as a result" (an obvious well known example would be something like hana yori dango). Either that or "male love interest is friends with the protagonist and one or both of them gradually realize their feelings are more than friendship," which is also a common shounen romance trope. I think a lot of shoujo might superficially seem more complex than shounen romances, but in reality tend to repeat the same specific types of turmoil/emotional conflict.

The main difference is that there's more exceptions in shoujo than there are in shounen romances, and they tend to put more focus on comedy that helps to make them entertaining in ways that go beyond merely being romantic wish fulfillment. While you can probably count the number of shounen romances that are decent on literally one or two hands, there are quite a few good shoujo ones.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

DisDisDis posted:

I heard there was some gendery stuff with a character in genshiken so i looked it up but then i completely forgot about it

Hato. They're "ambiguously trans", if you'll forgive the term. AMAB, presents as male all the time except when they're at the club or hanging out with other club members, when they present as female. Also totally want's Madarame's dick.

Spotted Flower made its Hato-equivalent full-on trans though.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
im dozing off and space flower is telling me about spotted flower and this is all getting very confusing

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
The trans lady who just hosed the husband in spotted flower gets a big spotlight in Genshiken nidaime. Also in Genshiken a girl draws a doujin based on him being an uke and getting boned by the dude she likes. That’s where the uke thing comes from in this chapter

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

While I'd overall put shoujo protagonists considerably above shounen protags, they're still usually pretty dang bad. The shoujo equivalent to the shounen "girl love interest is randomly attracted to protagonist or attracted to him because of some contrived scenario" seems to be something along the lines of "male love interest is attracted to the protagonist because she did something bold that showed him she is Not Like All The Other Girls and intrigued him as a result" (an obvious well known example would be something like hana yori dango). Either that or "male love interest is friends with the protagonist and one or both of them gradually realize their feelings are more than friendship," which is also a common shounen romance trope. I think a lot of shoujo might superficially seem more complex than shounen romances, but in reality tend to repeat the same specific types of turmoil/emotional conflict.

I think this is extremely reductive considering most romance plots can be boiled down to similar scenarios you just described. Most of them are going to hit the same or at least similar broad strokes.

I get a little tired of the "bad shoujo" meme because I think gets used to criticize a style of storytelling. The example that comes to mind for me is Ao Haru Ride which got a lot of flak int the thread but is a pretty well-made manga overall even if the plot isn't to your taste.

Anyway it's the interaction between characters and how their inner life (as was mentioned upthread) is portrayed that makes them stand out rather than novel plotlines and conflicts.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Male Shounen romcom protagonists are extremely Valid

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mouthface

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I started reading a manga about a girl who makes her neighbour miso soup for breakfast every morning because his mum died. It seems pretty cute -

http://merakiscans.com/misoshiru-de-kanpai/

I think I love all food manga though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's super cute and very good. I didn't see any posts from you in the last few pages of the food manga thread, have you checked it out yet?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Onean posted:

It's super cute and very good. I didn't see any posts from you in the last few pages of the food manga thread, have you checked it out yet?

Woah I should be posting in that thread... it's probably my favourite genre.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

I think this is extremely reductive considering most romance plots can be boiled down to similar scenarios you just described. Most of them are going to hit the same or at least similar broad strokes.

I get a little tired of the "bad shoujo" meme because I think gets used to criticize a style of storytelling. The example that comes to mind for me is Ao Haru Ride which got a lot of flak int the thread but is a pretty well-made manga overall even if the plot isn't to your taste.

Anyway it's the interaction between characters and how their inner life (as was mentioned upthread) is portrayed that makes them stand out rather than novel plotlines and conflicts.

While I did point out that the biggest difference is that the fact that there are more exceptions that don't stick to the tropes (or have some other strength) with shoujo than shounen (or straight male-oriented in general) romances/romcoms, I think it was still definitely wrong of me to act like the two are directly comparable. Most of your really popular shoujo (stuff like Kimi ni Todoke, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Taiyou no Ie, Lovely Complex, and even Ao Haru Ride that you mentioned) have some very distinct feel to them and are dramatically better than most shounen romances in terms of both their protagonists and plotting, though for every one of those there are generally also at least a couple transparently wish-fulfillment-oriented melodramatic and/or smutty titles (not that there's anything wrong with those things, but they're probably a more direct comparison to your average shounen romance). Reverse harems are probably the exception in terms of having usually-bad protagonists and also sometimes becoming really popular, though even then they're still dramatically better than their shounen counterparts.

Either way, sorry for being misleading in the tone of my post, since I can see why you got the impression you did. I do not dislike shoujo romances/romcoms in the least, and they're probably my second favorite manga genre. While I stand by the fact that most shoujo protagonists are not particularly complex or interesting characters, there is definitely a distinction between them and the vast majority of shounen romcom protagonists, who are usually very transparent self-insert characters.

To be honest, I feel like it might make more sense to just compare shounen/seinen dramas with shoujo romances rather than just shounen romances/romcoms, given how incredibly broad shoujo is as a label. I don't particular like either title much, but stuff like "Your Lie in April" or "Golden Time" is probably a better straight-male-oriented comparison for your average non-smutty/reverse-harem shoujo. A lot of stuff technically classified as seinen (not sure if those are, but in general) seems to be aimed at a younger age group than a lot of josei, which seems aimed at women in at least their early to mid twenties.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Chas McGill posted:

Woah I should be posting in that thread... it's probably my favourite genre.

Welcome my brethren

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
New kind of generic 4-koma romance manga, Boku no Kanojo wa Saikoudesu! ( My Girlfriend is the Best!) looks to be a shonen romance by the magazine publisher.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
New Kaguya is too real

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Tarezax posted:

New Kaguya is too real

I finally got caught up and the whole smartphone saga has been great. :allears:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Tarezax posted:

New Kaguya is too real

OH my goddddddddddd

I had some concerns about it moving away from it's roots of ridiculous teenage mind games, But then this

:perfect:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Tarezax posted:

New Kaguya is too real

Hayasaka is always suffering.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
At least Fujiwara is enjoying herself though.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Interesting bit of possible foreshadowing. They mention Hayasaka lies as easily as breathing and indeed saves Kaguya at the very last with those lies. However, in the Presidents Line chat we see him still messaging/being messaged by Haysaca, Hayasakas alternate ID. Is Hayasaka still just protecting Kaguya's pride or is she lying to herself a bit and keeping herself in the mix by blocking that forced confession?

The foreshadowing and plotting have been excellent in this manga so I figure this will come up again.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
This manga is making me vicariously stressed out over texting moreso than I already am

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...is-year/.129489 :henget:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
You linked to that one but not the one announcing a Ten Count anime!!?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I've heard the name Ten Count repeatedly but don't really know what it is besides yaoi. The hugging manga sounds boring but apparently it does google numbers so cool I guess?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Oh nice

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Curse that annoying senpai.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

DisDisDis posted:

I've heard the name Ten Count repeatedly but don't really know what it is besides yaoi. The hugging manga sounds boring but apparently it does google numbers so cool I guess?

Ten count is about a psychiatrist(?) who helps a patient with OCD

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ten count anime is going to be awkward as hell.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

jackofarcades posted:

Ten count is about a psychiatrist(?) who helps a patient with OCD

Oh I've not read a CBT yaoi before but there's a first time for everything

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Re: Ten Count
They meet initially as patient and therapist so the dynamic is ~*problematic*~ but Shirotani doesn't hire Kurose as his doctor and they have a consensual relationship. There's some mild SM and Kurose pushes Shirotani's boundaries, and their meetings are structured as theraputic so it's not completely clear-cut; so there's plenty for people to be uncomfortable with but imo it's really not as bad as the reputation it's gotten from simplified summaries being passed around among people who haven't read it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DisDisDis posted:

Oh I've not read a CBT yaoi before but there's a first time for everything

..,so, like

What is cbt in this context because I hadn’t been getting any ballsack speedballing or taxing vibes off descriptions

This is what happens to F+ listeners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
just google 'psychiatrist cbt' and you'll understand that context. dis is making a double entendre w/ cock and ball torture. hth