Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The walking around is a bit annoying though, can't figure out exactly why. Don't really like the virtual joystick.

The ultra-precise movement gets you stuck on corners far too easily, and more often than not you're running up against a wall and getting slowed down otherwise.

Diagonal movement is a neat idea, but this is kind of a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Levantine posted:

Speaking of Dimensions, man do things ramp up in Chapter 4. I don't think it's quite as good as the SNES era games but it's very close in quality. With Square Enix posting losses I doubt we will see anything like it again but I sure can hope.

Retro throwbacks are basically all Matrix Software does. I think they're going to be around for a while, too.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Bongo Bill posted:

Retro throwbacks are basically all Matrix Software does.

And Avalon Code. We can't forget Avalon Code.

We probably should forget Avalon Code

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Shaezerus posted:

The ultra-precise movement gets you stuck on corners far too easily, and more often than not you're running up against a wall and getting slowed down otherwise.

Diagonal movement is a neat idea, but this is kind of a pain in the rear end.

Yeah I've taken to swiping right, pausing, then swiping up anyway. Getting past stuff like holes in the ground or poison plants sucks.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Dimensions question: I just got the airship and I want to fill in some jobs. What is a decent place to grind as soon as you have the Airship? I can't kill Super Cactuars yet. Regular battles seem to give ~30AP so that's not bad but I was hoping there was a place I could get more.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I don't have an iOS device but I'm sure auto battle is a welcome addition since my previous method for quickly leveling up / mastering jobs was to master Berserker on everyone.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I'm thinking about purchasing Dissidia duodecim for my Vita, but didn't play the first one. A friend told me I should just get duodecim because it's basically an expanded version of the original; is there any truth to this?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Behonkiss posted:

I'm thinking about purchasing Dissidia duodecim for my Vita, but didn't play the first one. A friend told me I should just get duodecim because it's basically an expanded version of the original; is there any truth to this?

There is all the truth to that. Duodecism is Dissidia: Dissidia Harder. You lose nothing by skipping the first one.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The FF5 port is the same way yeah. Actually looks pretty nice, and holy poo poo auto battle is nice for grinding or getting through weak encounters you'd normally mash through.

The walking around is a bit annoying though, can't figure out exactly why. Don't really like the virtual joystick.

Does the FF5 port's autobattle work like FFD's, in that if you set the battle cursor to memorize, Auto-Battle uses what your cursor's memorized to?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

SmockJoc posted:

It's a shame too, since the high-def enemy sprites look so gosh-darn good. But the main characters are just terrible reskins of the FFD ones.

I didn't really mind the static character sprites in FFD that much but it seemed like there was a lack of animation frames, like each character only had three or so generic poses that were used for everything.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Behonkiss posted:

From what I understand the entire first game is in there and then some, no content was cut or removed only added to. You should just get Dissidia012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Behonkiss posted:

Duodecim is a prequel, when you beat the prequel campaign it unlocks the full campaign from the first game. You can even level characters in the second one if you have a save from the first.

There's really no reason to buy the first one.

Kyrosiris posted:

Does the FF5 port's autobattle work like FFD's, in that if you set the battle cursor to memorize, Auto-Battle uses what your cursor's memorized to?

Yes, so once you get Level 5 Death and go to that basement in the castle you can probably max out every job while you watch TV

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Bongo Bill posted:

Retro throwbacks are basically all Matrix Software does. I think they're going to be around for a while, too.

And as far as bad artwork/sprite design goes, they've always had that problem.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

alcharagia posted:

And Avalon Code. We can't forget Avalon Code.

We probably should forget Avalon Code

Press A to search! And attack

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yes, so once you get Level 5 Death and go to that basement in the castle you can probably max out every job while you watch TV

Excellent. :unsmigghh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Don't those guys give like no EXP though? Get you to the Deep Sea Trench with some Bards, motherfucker :getin:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Don't those guys give like no EXP though? Get you to the Deep Sea Trench with some Bards, motherfucker :getin:

They give very little XP and buttloads of AP and Gil. In short, they're perfect.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mega64 posted:

Here's the site for the patch and info on the various changes.

It's fun as hell and a great way to breathe new life into the game if you've gotten bored replaying it for the twentieth time, or to kill time until the next Four Job Fiesta.

e: You may also want to check out the Mod of Balance hack for FF1 GBA, which adds new classes.

How is the Mod of Balance hack? I've only played the NES version and I'm told the original GBA version was about as hard as a down pillow covered in chinchilla fur.

Are the new classes pretty interesting? It's hard to tell which class gets what magic, he hasn't updated the spell/equipment lists.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 29, 2013

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

I wish the FFV Custom Classes mod made the game harder to compensate for the greater customization and the boss EXP. I wound up ridiculously high-leveled by the end of the game, even more so than I normally would. In most fights, I could just have Lenna !Iainuki and kill everything before anyone else got a turn.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bellmaker posted:

How is the Mod of Balance hack? I've only played the NES version and I'm told the original GBA version was about as hard as a down pillow covered in chinchilla fur.

Are the new classes pretty interesting? It's hard to tell which class gets what magic, he hasn't updated the spell/equipment lists.

I haven't gotten very far in it, but I like the variety. I mostly played around with Sages, which are magical nukes made of paper. There's some neat classes and a few new spells specifically for a couple classes, so there's plenty to play around with at least.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The White Dragon posted:

The statues give like 5AP or something, and they're so easy to kill, which makes them prime for job grinding. And with the Autobattle you can set it to Memory, so you'll always use L5 Death.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
In Dimensions, how rare are the tails? I managed to get a Green one pretty easily but I'm trying for Grey and it's taking an age. I have four mastered thieves so I'm rocking Treasure Hunter on four of my dudes. I am also using Item Finder just in case that some how influences rare drop rate. Is there a better place to find the Gorging Bunny than just walking back and forth in the tiny area where Falgabard Castle is?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Bellmaker posted:

I'm told the original GBA version was about as hard as a down pillow covered in chinchilla fur.

While it is easier I think this is a bit of a hyperbole. I'd say it's still harder than any of the post-NES FFs though it's more in line with those entries at the same time. Of course, if you habitually grind like you would in the original you'll plow through it like mad, but I get the feeling the difficulty reduction was meant to eliminate that necessity, and I'm personally thankful for it.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Nah, except for maybe the bonus dungeons the GBA version is basically trivial.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't think that's true. I've played it a few times and always have to stop and grind a bit at certain dungeons. Depends on what you consider trivial, I guess. I think of FF6 or 7 as trivial, where holding O during most battles is sufficient. Depending on the classes you use, FF1 can be tough during some of the deep dungeons.

That one hallway with the Earth Ogres or whatever is a good way to quickly grind up and trivialize the game if you care to, though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
One more Dimensions question if anyone is still playing: I finally got a Valhalla for the break damage limit property. I read that one was sufficient for the entire party to have the effect but I'm not seeing that. Either my guys are really good at doing exactly 9999 damage or it only works for the wielder (who incidentally can't do that much damage!)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bellmaker posted:

FF1 Dawn of Souls is extremely easy, yeah. They did tone down some things like Black Belts getting level * 2 attack and level = defense when using no armor though. Basically they made black belts stop being Goku. The White Mage in my game has more HP than my Black Belt actually. The MP system is handy for stuff like PURE and there's more items (including ethers) and you aren't limited to inns/tents/cabins/houses for saving the game.

It is very easy though. While Black Belts aren't quite as godly in that version it's more than made up by all the other changes. You don't really need to grind but if you spend even 30 minutes in the Hall of Giants you'll probably gain 5-10 levels and find yourself at or over level 20, which will turn the cave and probably the next few areas in to a leisurely stroll through the park.

I went with the standard Fighter, Black Belt, White Mage, Black Mage party but my normal playthrough of Fighter, Thief/Fighter, Black Belt, Red Mage murders Dawn of Souls (FF1/PSP/iOS version) pretty badly compared to the NES version.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The White Dragon posted:

EXP isn't particularly important in FFV though.

On average you're expected to be around level 40 or so by endgame.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

While it is easier I think this is a bit of a hyperbole. I'd say it's still harder than any of the post-NES FFs though it's more in line with those entries at the same time. Of course, if you habitually grind like you would in the original you'll plow through it like mad, but I get the feeling the difficulty reduction was meant to eliminate that necessity, and I'm personally thankful for it.

It's not hyperbole at all- unless you're doing the bonus dungeons FF1 DoS is easy to the point of tedium. There's no risk of getting chipped down in HP in DoS because of the greatly improved access to healing (both via White Magic and better healing items) and much more access to early-game screen clearing if you take a Red or Black Mage, and they didn't up the difficulty of the rest of the game to compensate for it. Since most of the challenge in FF1 classic came not from single hard fights but getting chipped down by several fights just hard enough to drain your limited resources, this basically murders any challenge FF1 had in it's sleep- as in you could probably beat the game in yours, barring Chaos himself.

On the flip side, some of the boss encounters in the bonus dungeons can be challenging, but they're also all over the place in terms of 'very difficult but fair' and 'complete bullshit unless directly countered' so your mileage may vary on that. Also the bonus dungeons outside bosses are still boring tedious dreck.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Mr. Locke posted:

It's not hyperbole at all- unless you're doing the bonus dungeons FF1 DoS is easy to the point of tedium. There's no risk of getting chipped down in HP in DoS because of the greatly improved access to healing (both via White Magic and better healing items) and much more access to early-game screen clearing if you take a Red or Black Mage, and they didn't up the difficulty of the rest of the game to compensate for it. Since most of the challenge in FF1 classic came not from single hard fights but getting chipped down by several fights just hard enough to drain your limited resources, this basically murders any challenge FF1 had in it's sleep- as in you could probably beat the game in yours, barring Chaos himself.

On the flip side, some of the boss encounters in the bonus dungeons can be challenging, but they're also all over the place in terms of 'very difficult but fair' and 'complete bullshit unless directly countered' so your mileage may vary on that. Also the bonus dungeons outside bosses are still boring tedious dreck.

I'm comparing DoS's difficulty to later games in the series. If FF1 DoS is easy to the point of tedium I don't know how you can stand to play any other entry in the series.

It's not even like the NES version is actually hard, it just forces you to grind like every other NES RPG. That's tedium.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Levantine posted:

One more Dimensions question if anyone is still playing: I finally got a Valhalla for the break damage limit property. I read that one was sufficient for the entire party to have the effect but I'm not seeing that. Either my guys are really good at doing exactly 9999 damage or it only works for the wielder (who incidentally can't do that much damage!)

Only whomever is wielding the Valhalla or Ultima Weapon gets Break Damage Limit. Note that wielding one of them passes the trait to both equipped weapons, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

FF1 Dawn of Souls is extremely easy, yeah. They did tone down some things like Black Belts getting level * 2 attack and level = defense when using no armor though. Basically they made black belts stop being Goku. The White Mage in my game has more HP than my Black Belt actually.

The redone formula means a black belt no longer can one shot Chaos and using an unboosted flare does about 400 of Chaos's 20k HP. Attack boost spells work now, though, so your Black Belt can get buffed for a turn or two and suddenly they're right back to dropping 2k-4k damage a swing.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I'm somewhat disappointed that this thread didn't include the tactics series in the introduction to all the games. Other than that, the first couple posts was entertaining enough that I enjoyed wasting 10 minutes reading it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I hope you don't mind Shaezerus, I was bored, and your Gladiator was pretty cool.

I also did Mime:

[e]: Thanks
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 31, 2013

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Holy poo poo, those are awesome.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Nice, I wonder if it's possible to mod those into the game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

Nice, I wonder if it's possible to mod those into the game.

Thanks, it should be possible for Mime, at least, though I'm not tech-savy enough to do it.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I hope you don't mind Shaezerus, I was bored, and your Gladiator was pretty cool.

I also did Mime:

[e]: Thanks
VVV

Haha those are great. That kinda does give me drive to think up something for the other three Jobs. :3:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Shaezerus posted:

Haha those are great. That kinda does give me drive to think up something for the other three Jobs. :3:

Thanks, if you do, I'd be more than willing to try to sprite them. Not that I'm that great at it...

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The iOS FFV is pretty fun, even if the controls and new sprites can be a little goofy. I just love looking at crazy-old-man-Galuf's Amano art.

But to be honest, I'd play FFV on an abacus if I could. Love that game. :3: